OT: - Ed Cooley interviewing for Michigan job | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Ed Cooley interviewing for Michigan job

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
The Michigan board is saying that they’re offering him 6 MILLION dollars. No way that’s true right? Seems absurdly high for a slightly above average coach.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Michigan will throw a boat load of money at him, but he's got a good thing going at Providence. Being a local guy whose brought more success to PC than they have had in ages...could be a fish out of water in Ann Arbor, but the challenge and money would sure be tempting.

Good thing going at Providence? How so? We're talking about Michigan here. Not some podunk little mid-major tucked away in New England's armpit.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
.... for 12 years.

TWELVE years?!? That's crazy. It's the length of a media rights agreement these days. Why doesn't Manuel just marry Cooley and get it over with? My goodness.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Does the contract only cover base salary? $500k per year doesn't seem like a Michigan worthy amount. It seems he'd get shoe contract, personal appearance and summer camp $$$ on top of the $500k.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I'm sure Michigan will throw a boat load of money at him, but he's got a good thing going at Providence. Being a local guy whose brought more success to PC than they have had in ages...could be a fish out of water in Ann Arbor, but the challenge and money would sure be tempting.

He'd be totally insane not to take it if offered. It's the difference between driving a Mercedes instead of a Fiat.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Does the contract only cover base salary? $500k per year doesn't seem like a Michigan worthy amount. It seems he'd get shoe contract, personal appearance and summer camp $$$ on top of the $500k.

Or is it 6M/12 years

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
People keep talking like Providence was a wasteland before Cooley, but they had some good teams under Welsh and Gillen. Cooley's been better than I expected but I wouldn't say he's been a revelation. And his teams at Fairfield seriously underachieved.

Good thing going at Providence? How so? We're talking about Michigan here. Not some podunk little mid-major tucked away in New England's armpit.

PC has made 5 straight NCAA Tournaments. In the 24 years prior, they made 5 NCAA Tournaments. I'd say that's a pretty stark difference and certainly a sign of him moving in the right direction.

I never said that Michigan isn't a premiere job in a premiere league, but I think you're discounting the fact that he's turned that program around and is a hometown guy.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Sorry that $6M for 12 years was sarcasm. I have no idea of the actual terms.

Apparently moot, as the Projo is reporting he used the Michigan dalliance to extort some additional $$$ from Friar U to stay in Providence.

If he's anything like Art Briles or Todd Graham, he'll go back and forth between the two schools upping their respective offers. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
What does his comment even mean?
I think it was in the Workplace Irritations thread (his comments since deleted) where Engineer revealed he hates when minorities are considered and accepted into new positions.

polycom

Reaction Score
He checks the box for social justice. If they hire him, they get what they deserve.

Ah yes a good ole spicy boneyard take. Social Justice is bad in what way?

Reaction Score
Cooley signed a new $3.5 mil per year deal to stay at PC.

Reaction Score
As he should. PC aside, Cooley is a cool dude.
Could be, don't really care just reasonably realistic regarding Michigan and limited coaching success in NCAA play. Great by pc-standards; sellable to Michigan alumni and fans?

Reaction Score
Ah yes a good ole spicy boneyard take. Social Justice is bad in what way?
The original comment was a dumb one with no real basis no doubt but "Social Justice" is not something inherently good thanks to my generation (Z). Out of respect to Boneyard policy I'll leave it at that.

Reaction Score
As he should. PC aside, Cooley is a cool dude.
Yeah I'm confused by all the Cooley 'dissin' in this thread. I think he's a good coach and have never heard a bad thing about him. He's one coach that I have no problem with getting paid good loot. Providence did right by making him happy and keeping him there.

He's our only real competition (for recruits) in the Northeast and that's a good thing.

Reaction Score
Yeah I'm confused by all the Cooley 'dissin' in this thread. I think he's a good coach and have never heard a bad thing about him. He's one coach that I have no problem with getting paid good loot. Providence did right by making him happy and keeping him there.

He's our only real competition (for recruits) in the Northeast and that's a good thing.
I have nothing against the guy but I feel as though he would have been a dissapointing hire for Michigan. That being said it doesn't look like they are bringing in some huge name either way.

polycom

Reaction Score
The original comment was a dumb one with no real basis no doubt but "Social Justice" is not something inherently good thanks to my generation (Z). Out of respect to Boneyard policy I'll leave it at that.

I'm now not sure which take is worse.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom