ECU Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

ECU Postgame Thread

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Amen! Just how "bulked up" was Stewart? Is she bulked up in WNBA? She is stronger for sure but as you say you cannot change you body type ... naturally. An ectomorph is an ectomorph. (Since using the word fat is frown upon I assume skinny carries the same stigma.) :rolleyes:
Absolutely. I pointed out in another thread a number of very successful WNBA post players whose body type is similar to Olivia's -- DaWanna Bonner, Jonquel Jones, and A'ja Wilson among them. Bonner in particular (who I think is possibly related to Olivia) is a great example -- she's been in the WNBA for a decade, has been an all-star, and (at 6-4) weighs all of 142 pounds! Obviously, the W is a very physical league, more so than WCBB. Olivia's body type is not an obstacle unless she allows it to be.

Reaction Score
There is no one in the BY that was/is a bigger Kiah Stokes fan than me. I wouldn't say anything while she was here, but now that she's gone, I'll share my thoughts about Kiah. This is nothing more that my gut feeling about her situation during her time at UConn.

She was a 24+ ppg scorer and double digit rebounder her senior year at Linn-Mar high school in Marion Iowa.
  • During her junior year, she averaged 19.9 ppg., 13.5 rpg. and 5.8 bpg. to help Linn-Mar to a 26-0 record and Iowa 4A state title.
  • As a senior, Stokes averaged 25.0 points, 14.8 rebounds and 5.1 blocks per game in her final year at Linn-Mar High School.
  • She was named the Iowa's 2010 Gatorade State Player of the year and honored as a 2011 McDonald's, Parade Magazine, WBCA All-American.
She committed to UConn expecting to enjoy the same success there she had in high school, not so. She spent the first 3 years in Geno's dog house, or as Kara Wolters calls it: Casa de Bow wow. I think she became disenchanted with her status and wanted to leave, but her parents would support or endorse that idea. So she endured and finally was released from the "Pooch Palace" and blossomed during her senior year. She seldom smiled much during games.

If another poster has inside information on her situation of what in fact were the dynamics of her situation,
I'd love to be corrected and set straight. As I said, this is purely a observation from afar. I could be totally off base. I have nothing substantive to support this hypothesis.
So you observed her parents telling her to stay

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There is no one in the BY that was/is a bigger Kiah Stokes fan than me. I wouldn't say anything while she was here, but now that she's gone, I'll share my thoughts about Kiah. This is nothing more that my gut feeling about her situation during her time at UConn.

She was a 24+ ppg scorer and double digit rebounder her senior year at Linn-Mar high school in Marion Iowa.
  • During her junior year, she averaged 19.9 ppg., 13.5 rpg. and 5.8 bpg. to help Linn-Mar to a 26-0 record and Iowa 4A state title.
  • As a senior, Stokes averaged 25.0 points, 14.8 rebounds and 5.1 blocks per game in her final year at Linn-Mar High School.
  • She was named the Iowa's 2010 Gatorade State Player of the year and honored as a 2011 McDonald's, Parade Magazine, WBCA All-American.
She committed to UConn expecting to enjoy the same success there she had in high school, not so. She spent the first 3 years in Geno's dog house, or as Kara Wolters calls it: Casa de Bow wow. I think she became disenchanted with her status and wanted to leave, but her parents would support or endorse that idea. So she endured and finally was released from the "Pooch Palace" and blossomed during her senior year. She seldom smiled much during games.

If another poster has inside information on her situation of what in fact were the dynamics of her situation,
I'd love to be corrected and set straight. As I said, this is purely a observation from afar. I could be totally off base. I have nothing substantive to support this hypothesis.
I don’t have the same recollection of Kiah’s UConn career that you do. But I want to address the purely fabricated transfer speculation on your part. There was an article about Kiah in her hometown paper, the Iowa Statesman I believe, where the reporter asked Kiah if she ever considered transferring and she said no. I couldn’t find that article but I did find this from the Courant

Yet Kiah and her dad insist that she never wanted to transfer.

"To play at UConn is a tremendous honor," Greg, 51, said. "Kiah had two goals when she decided to go here. One was to be pushed as hard as she could be pushed and the other was to win national championships. She definitely got what she signed up for.

Reaction Score
It is one of those odd things, but Christmas break had a very different effect on players. Anna went all the way to Poland and brought back her confidence. EA, I think, went to Molly's house, and she is a brand new player. But poor Liv, she left something home over the holidays. Funny how kids react so differently!
The difference is quite likely who is chirping in their ear during the break and if it is positive or not.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I don’t have the same recollection of Kiah’s UConn career that you do. But I want to address the purely fabricated transfer speculation on your part. There was an article about Kiah in her hometown paper, the Iowa Statesman I believe, where the reporter asked Kiah if she ever considered transferring and she said no. I couldn’t find that article but I did find this from the Courant

Yet Kiah and her dad insist that she never wanted to transfer.

"To play at UConn is a tremendous honor," Greg, 51, said. "Kiah had two goals when she decided to go here. One was to be pushed as hard as she could be pushed and the other was to win national championships. She definitely got what she signed up for.

Nan, I bow to your knowledge and understanding of the dynamics of the relationship she had with Geno during her time there. I qualified my comments at the outset and at the end by saying it was nothing more than a hunch or a gut feeling. Nothing more. I also welcomed any input from anyone that could shine a light on this and set me straight.

No arguments or debate here. You are much closer to the program than I am. I’m Interested in whatever light you care to shine on this. If she was asked point blank by a reporter if she ever thought about transferring and said no, that's good enough for me. I thank you for clearing that up for me.

I remain a huge Kiah Stokes fan, and have never made a negative comment about her or her play on this forum.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Article from the ECU side

Take away quote

“UConn is very physical, and they do a very good job defensively of not allowing you to do what you want to do. They run you, they bump you off cuts, they don’t allow you to get the ball, they don’t allow you to reverse it, we talked about that and we put in some things today that we thought would help eliminate some of that but at the end of the day we put a lot on those two kids’ shoulders,” McNeill said. “You look at our starting lineup and they’re the only two that scored, that’s not acceptable.”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Absolutely. I pointed out in another thread a number of very successful WNBA post players whose body type is similar to Olivia's -- DaWanna Bonner, Jonquel Jones, and A'ja Wilson among them. Bonner in particular (who I think is possibly related to Olivia) is a great example -- she's been in the WNBA for a decade, has been an all-star, and (at 6-4) weighs all of 142 pounds! Obviously, the W is a very physical league, more so than WCBB. Olivia's body type is not an obstacle unless she allows it to be.

I made the same observation last year about Bonner (see below), her playing weight, her tenure in the WNBA and success in the league as you have. The difference between the two is that Bonner is not a post player, ONO is. She is required to wrestle and fight for position on the block and in the paint with other large frame players, some of whom weigh more than she does, thus she can be easily pushed around in the paint against her will. You saw the success she had with Baylor's Lauren cox. Lauren Cox and Aliyah Boston. Two elite post players on elite teams. ONO may encounter either or both in the tournament. She'll see Boston for sure on Feb 10.

[IMG alt="Carnac"]https://the-boneyard.com/data/avatars/m/5/5798.jpg?1566403609[/IMG]
Carnac
All Seeing

JoinedJan 9, 2015Messages8,331Likes15,697
Feb 21, 2019
Bellemare said:
I am encouraged by the development of Olivia. If one throws in C. Williams and M.Walker to go along with the 3 more senior starters this team could go far into the NCAA. Far, could mean the NC.
I’ve been saying since November that ONO is going to slowly develop one day and one game at a time. We're all aware of the dynamics involved in her development going forward.

Throw in all of the plays, defensive assignments and spacing she has to learn, it can be a slow process.
Keep mind that some freshmen are playing real defense for the first time.

I really liked what I saw from ONO yesterday. I agree with other posters that ONO would benefit from a rigorous weight training regimen to increase her body strength. But if she doesn't, she’ll still be OK. She can play at this and the next level as is.

How, you ask? Two words: DeWanna Bonner. Bonner was a WNBA 1st round draft pick in 2009 out of Auburn who is now entering her 10th year in the league with the Phoenix Mercury. Bonner is 6’4” and weighs 143lbs.

1550903268889.png

Bonner is a league all star, and a 2 time champion with Phoenix in 2009 and 2014. Named to All-WNBA First team in 2015. It appears to this untrained eye that ONO weighs more than that. If Bonner can effectively play at her current weight, so can ONO. I will never make another reference to ONO’s weight or stature again.
ONO can only dream of having the success and longevity in professional basketball that Bonner is having.

Bottom line, if Bonner can play at the college and pro level at her current weight, so can ONO.
I understand that Bonner is not a post player. While I do expect ONO to continue on the team's weight training program, she’ll be OK either way.

Last edited:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
But Tina was much more of a bruiser during her first two years. She was already one of the best posts in the nation. I don't think ONO is anywhere near where Tina was at the same time in sophomore year.

I have to disagree with you on that. Tina was not one of the best posts her Soph. year. However Tina was always naturally bigger and stronger so I'm not say Liv will become Tina. But a light really went on for Tina her Junior year. She turned AA material then. Posts usually develop slower so I think there is plenty of time for Liv to get stronger and better. There a good chance she can be a very effective post player even in the big games her last 2 years. Not saying all american but plenty of room for improvement that could make her an impact player.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I have to disagree with you on that. Tina was not one of the best posts her Soph. year. However Tina was always naturally bigger and stronger so I'm not say Liv will become Tina. But a light really went on for Tina her Junior year. She turned AA material then. Posts usually develop slower so I think there is plenty of time for Liv to get stronger and better. There a good chance she can be a very effective post player even in the big games her last 2 years. Not saying all american but plenty of room for improvement that could make her an impact player.
Tina was the USBWA National Freshman of the Year as well as the Big East FOY. She was also the second leading scorer on the team that year and it wasn’t because she was bigger and stronger, either. I love Liv and want her to bloom and thrive at UConn but she does not have Tina’s innate talent. Tina was born with gifts that, when she chose to use them, makes her unguardable. THAT was the problem early in Tina’s UConn career - she could be wildly inconsistent in her level of effort. Once she decided to go full out 100% of the time, she was unstoppable.

And for the record, Tina thought about transferring for about 5 minutes but her Mom told her to stop whining and do what her coach told her to do.

Reaction Score
My wife and I were discussing Liv today. Either she is going to be really good or the biggest pork chop Geno ever ate. I think if she hits the weights HARD this off-season she can be a beast her Junior and Senior years. Geno has been patient. Liv is key to any kind of run come dancing time. Here’s hoping!
Another thought. While she can get stronger, I don't think ONO's body type will never truly bulk up. Nor is this critical. If she can make 2-3 minor but significant changes, she will be perfect for UConn's style. 1.) keep hands up when blocking shots, no swatting, no fouls 2.) improve her form when attempting layups under basket 3.) get confident in her 5-10 foot turn around shot. 12-15 points a game, 10+ rebounds a game, 2-4 blocks a game and we have an All Star.

Reaction Score
Things are so much better when the team shooting percentage is 50% rather than 30%.

While I agree the better game statistics are a good thing, my only thought is that ECU is a 3-16 team and 0-6 in a weak conference.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
6-5 Piath Gabriel will be on the roster, but it has been said that she will be a project for some time, and will probably not be ready to seriously back-up ONO until mid-January. So what do you do in the mean time when UConn plays all of its toughest competition during the first 2 months of the season? :eek:

Next year and this roster, the Gabriel project has loads of time to progress.
1580060367587.png

Westbrook...ready to go day one.
Bueckers...the most confident incoming since Diane. She even trash talks...
McLean...a smaller version of Griffin, except that she leaps over small buildings.
Gabriel....is as you describe.
Muhl...a very experienced PG - again, not your normal incoming Frosh
Edwards...another not your normal Frosh

Anyway, it's going to be a fun year: press entire games, run, rebound, man-to-man, etc.

10 really good players; MAYBE, 2 squads now and then :)

Prediction: Undefeated

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Tina was the USBWA National Freshman of the Year as well as the Big East FOY....

And for the record, Tina thought about transferring for about 5 minutes but her Mom told her to stop whining and do what her coach told her to do.

Thanks! HuskyNan; that was a terrific post......everyone, please follow the URL.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the ECU game:
  • Any win is a good win. Clearly, ECU is not a good team, so I will temper my enthusiasm somewhat while pointing out some things that were nice to see in this game.
  • I’m not sure who was wearing #13 for UConn, but she reminded me a lot of that kid Williams who played last year as a freshman. Christyn was shooting the ball a little flat in prior games. Today her mechanics looked much better.
  • Good to see Evelyn provide some quality minutes.
  • ASSIST OF THE SEASON!!! Anna’s backwards, up in the air, behind the back feed to a streaking Christyn. Please may I have some Polish mustard on my hotdog?
  • Once again Geno starts the two freshmen in the second half. Both play well, and once again UConn goes on a run to start the 3rd qtr. Trend?
  • Anna was so hot shooting the ball, someone should have called the fire department on her. When she gets in that zone, there is most definitely a KLS quality about her.
  • Kyla starting over Anna or Aubrey will continue to generate discussion. Here’s my take. Geno believes he gets better minutes from the freshmen off the bench right now, and he’s not confident how they will react as starters. In addition, if Geno starts either freshman, he basically has a 6-player rotation in big games. That may ultimately be where UConn ends up, but for now, starting Kyla extends UConn’s bench to at least 7.
I think it is fascinating ( and totally unexpected several months ago, when we were discussing UCONN's drop off in recruiting success for this year's class ), that everyone is now talking about the impact, " of the two freshmen." I had heard a lot about South Carolina's freshman, and Stanford's freshman, but getting UCONN into the conversation is exciting. Number 13 ( as you wittily point out ) was back to all star class yesterday. It is a reminder that; if this team can have a string of games in the Big Dance where the team is " hitting on all cylinders" ( all players at the same time ); while continuing to play aggressive and effective defense...anything can happen. By the way, how is it that it is perfectly acceptable for players who have been professional athletes in their home country ( Ania , for example ), to play in the NCAA at US universities? Anyone know the rule?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I think it is fascinating ( and totally unexpected several months ago, when we were discussing UCONN's drop off in recruiting success for this year's class ), that everyone is now talking about the impact, " of the two freshmen." I had heard a lot about South Carolina's freshman, and Stanford's freshman, but getting UCONN into the conversation is exciting. Number 13 ( as you wittily point out ) was back to all star class yesterday. It is a reminder that; if this team can have a string of games in the Big Dance where the team is " hitting on all cylinders" ( all players at the same time ); while continuing to play aggressive and effective defense...anything can happen. By the way, how is it that it is perfectly acceptable for players who have been professional athletes in their home country ( Ania , for example ), to play in the NCAA at US universities? Anyone know the rule?
As long as the player IS NOT PAID for her play it is just like someone playing AAU.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

This Courant article explains Anna’s situation pretty well.

Reaction Score
Yep my thoughts exactly. Doty starts, Bria comes in after a couple of minutes.
Bria told Geno that Caroline deserves to start. No injuries she would have been an All-American!

Reaction Score

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Tina was the USBWA National Freshman of the Year as well as the Big East FOY. She was also the second leading scorer on the team that year and it wasn’t because she was bigger and stronger, either. I love Liv and want her to bloom and thrive at UConn but she does not have Tina’s innate talent. Tina was born with gifts that, when she chose to use them, makes her unguardable. THAT was the problem early in Tina’s UConn career - she could be wildly inconsistent in her level of effort. Once she decided to go full out 100% of the time, she was unstoppable.

You mis-read my point. I was saying that Tina was "Bigger and stronger" than Liv is at the same point in their careers, not that Tina was only good in her era because she was bigger and stronger. Of course Tina was highly rated coming in , more so than Liv. And she was a force early on. Just not the force she would become in her last two years. My wife and I went to all the games back then and as good as Tina was in the Big East on the National stage she needed to take the finals steps. And as you said she did and by the time she was an upperclassmen she was "unguardable". And the good news for Liv - There's still plenty of time for her to make great strides in her game.

Reaction Score
It is one of those odd things, but Christmas break had a very different effect on players. Anna went all the way to Poland and brought back her confidence. EA, I think, went to Molly's house, and she is a brand new player. But poor Liv, she left something home over the holidays. Funny how kids react so differently!
Based on this, I think Liv needs to spend a long weekend at Molly’s. Anna was there for Thanksgiving.

Reaction Score
I was just looking at box score. UConn had 21 turnovers? I need to go back and watch the replay of the 4th quarter. Maybe that's where the bulk of them came?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom