ECU Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ECU Postgame Thread

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
My notes from the bleachers:
* I know it’s only warmups, but Evelyn looks pretty decent during warmups. She could hit inside, from three, and midrange. I’m hoping she gets some good minutes and looks this afternoon. (And then her three in the fourth...!)
* Other people have said this, too, but Anna looks much bigger and stronger in person. It makes me even more excited to see what an off-season of UConn strength and conditioning will do.
* Shea has her own NC cheering section!
* I’m really impressed with how Evelyn is communicating while she’s on the floor. Between that, the charge, and a few good rebounds (and then the three!!), she’s definitely making the most of her minutes.
* I know we know Aubrey can jump, but there is NOTHING shown on TV that does it justice. I think when they “repaired her ACL,” they really replaced her femur with springs.
* Azura Stevens emerged at half time. For all the **** she gets from fans about her decision, she could not have been more cordial. She took TONS of pictures and was engaging with anyone who was interested. Very classy.
* The way Anna gets back on defense is admirable. She might not be the fastest person on the floor, but she sure as heck isn’t going to get beat. I’m not sure that was true at the beginning of the season.
* Geno pulled Anna aside in the fourth to talk about running the offense before you pull up for that there when you’re up by that much. He laughed, she laughed, all is right with the world.
* Everyone seemed to be having a lot of fun — except Geno. They stress him out.

F7A8CAAD-08E4-4988-9D5F-C355B00559DE.jpeg

Reaction Score
Anna - 1 of the best shooting performances in UConn history, hands-down.. 8 for 10 from downtown, and the 2 misses were in and out. The only performance I can remember that was better was KLS' "perfect" game - 10-10 3 pointers - is still the NCAA record.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the ECU game:
  • Any win is a good win. Clearly, ECU is not a good team, so I will temper my enthusiasm somewhat while pointing out some things that were nice to see in this game.
  • I’m not sure who was wearing #13 for UConn, but she reminded me a lot of that kid Williams who played last year as a freshman. Christyn was shooting the ball a little flat in prior games. Today her mechanics looked much better.
  • Good to see Evelyn provide some quality minutes.
  • ASSIST OF THE SEASON!!! Anna’s backwards, up in the air, behind the back feed to a streaking Christyn. Please may I have some Polish mustard on my hotdog?
  • Once again Geno starts the two freshmen in the second half. Both play well, and once again UConn goes on a run to start the 3rd qtr. Trend?
  • Anna was so hot shooting the ball, someone should have called the fire department on her. When she gets in that zone, there is most definitely a KLS quality about her.
  • Kyla starting over Anna or Aubrey will continue to generate discussion. Here’s my take. Geno believes he gets better minutes from the freshmen off the bench right now, and he’s not confident how they will react as starters. In addition, if Geno starts either freshman, he basically has a 6-player rotation in big games. That may ultimately be where UConn ends up, but for now, starting Kyla extends UConn’s bench to at least 7.
Good post, but how about you have mustard on your kielbasa sandwich? ;)

Reaction Score
Kyla starting over Anna or Aubrey will continue to generate discussion. Here’s my take. Geno believes he gets better minutes from the freshmen off the bench right now, and he’s not confident how they will react as starters. In addition, if Geno starts either freshman, he basically has a 6-player rotation in big games. That may ultimately be where UConn ends up, but for now, starting Kyla extends UConn’s bench to at least 7.
The whole Kyla starting thing is moot. She's a starter in name only, and for the second game in a row did not start the second half. She starts the game, then at the first stoppage, whether that's three or five minutes in, she is replaced by Anna. Kyla is having her minutes taken by Anna and Aubrey, and rightfully so.
It's like what Geno did with Caroline Doty.
To a lesser degree: similar situation in big games with Pam Weber and off the bench Nykesha Sales.
I don't think Kyla starting is like Doty or Weber starting and playing a few minutes. They were able to hold their own. When Kyla starts we get off to a slow start, and against half-way decent teams we get behind. We can't afford to do that with Oregon. I'm afraid Ruthie Hebard is going to be eating Liv's lunch anyway, so it might help to have an aggressive Anna in there actually making plays, and having to be guarded.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Anna was in a preChristmas malaise....No more. 8 for 10 from 3! That's the stroke I remember. One blemish on the stat sheet: 5 TOs. Interesting tid bit in Bob Joyce interview: How did she learn about UConn? She started following DT as a pro and dug into her background and found UConn.

I see Anna guarding Diana, Glorious opportunity

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Another fun game!!!! Anna was definitely LOU"ish"today with a spiffy behind the back pass to CW. Welcome back to the offense CW. Imagine if Aubrey made all her layups. WOW!! Only down side was Liv. Her body language when she returned in the 4th qtr was not good. No fire burning today
It reminds of the pass Lou made to Gabby in the USF game at The XL Center, (1/10/17) when they blew them out 103 - 37. It started with a Gabby block and ended up with a Gabby field goal. It starts at the 17 minute 26 second mark of the rebroadcast.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the ECU game:
  • Any win is a good win. Clearly, ECU is not a good team, so I will temper my enthusiasm somewhat while pointing out some things that were nice to see in this game.
  • I’m not sure who was wearing #13 for UConn, but she reminded me a lot of that kid Williams who played last year as a freshman. Christyn was shooting the ball a little flat in prior games. Today her mechanics looked much better.
  • Good to see Evelyn provide some quality minutes.
  • ASSIST OF THE SEASON!!! Anna’s backwards, up in the air, behind the back feed to a streaking Christyn. Please may I have some Polish mustard on my hotdog?
  • Once again Geno starts the two freshmen in the second half. Both play well, and once again UConn goes on a run to start the 3rd qtr. Trend?
  • Anna was so hot shooting the ball, someone should have called the fire department on her. When she gets in that zone, there is most definitely a KLS quality about her.
  • Kyla starting over Anna or Aubrey will continue to generate discussion. Here’s my take. Geno believes he gets better minutes from the freshmen off the bench right now, and he’s not confident how they will react as starters. In addition, if Geno starts either freshman, he basically has a 6-player rotation in big games. That may ultimately be where UConn ends up, but for now, starting Kyla extends UConn’s bench to at least 7.

Not much to say, you covered it all. Agree with all of your observations, especially the last one. Kyla can start. He can bring Anna and Aubrey in at anytime. Some players are more comfortable coming off the bench. I also like those two starting the 3rd quarter. They can pick up where they left off at the half without having to start cold, and try to gain momentum again. And that hot dog, you're right. There was plenty of "Polish" mustard on it on that play.

You can't practice that. That was all instinct, timing and being in the right place at the right time. Anna didn't hesitate. It was all one smooth motion, a perfect pass that Christyn caught in stride, and rode to the basket. In baseball, they call that a "bang-bang" play. We might see that play on ESPN's SportCenter tonight.

I'm enjoying THIS season, but I'm really going to enjoy next year when all of the new talent arrives, and Anna and Aubrey will know they system and will have made that sophomore leap. And of course there will be plenty of debate over whether or not Paige Bueckers, a true freshman will start at the point for Geno next year. If she's as good as advertised, he may not have a choice. :eek:

Megan and Christyn will also step their game up a notch. UConn will be a top 3 team all year. I expect Baylor (they lose 6-4 Cox, but gain 6-5 Hanna Guesters) and Oregon (loses Ionescu, no replacement) to lose some shine and potency next year. South Carolina will be right there all year.

Post edit - I CALLED IT!!! Talking about the no-look pass Anna made to Christyn - I said: "We might see that play on ESPN's SportsCenter tonight." Well, it was # 3 on the top plays of the day on ESPN's SportsCenter tonight. That was a spectacular play. One of which I doubt we'll see the likes of again this year. You know who started that play with a "perfect" long outlet pass? That's right..............Aubrey. :)

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't think Kyla starting is like Doty or Weber starting and playing a few minutes. They were able to hold their own. When Kyla starts we get off to a slow start, and against a good team we get behind. We can't afford to do that with Baylor. I'm afraid Ruthie Hebard is going to be eating Liv's lunch anyway, so we can't afford a 2nd weak link for the first 5 minutes.
I don’t like slow starts either, but neither Anna or Aubrey were flawless once they came into the game. Both made what I would call dumb freshman mistakes. Eventually, they both settled in and played well, but there is no guarantee that UConn gets off to a faster start with either in the starting lineup right now.

I do believe Anna will eventually get that start when Geno is confident that she’s ready, whenever that is.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Liv is going through something that Tina Charles once did. With all her ability, Tina was one of the most frustrating Bigs that Geno ever coached through her sophomore season. She would have periods of great play and then she would disappear for large periods of the game. It all came together for Tina in her junior season. I continue to hope that it all clicks for Liv this season, but it may just take longer with LIv. Unfortunately, UConn's ultimate performance in the Big Dance this season will depend on how well Liv performs.

You beat me to it. Liv's development is similar in many respects to Tina. Geno & CD know what to do.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
It is one of those odd things, but Christmas break had a very different effect on players. Anna went all the way to Poland and brought back her confidence. EA, I think, went to Molly's house, and she is a brand new player. But poor Liv, she left something home over the holidays. Funny how kids react so differently!

Reaction Score
My thoughts:
  • I see a team that is battling hard and fights through adversity. This bodes well as the more experience they get facing all different styles of play they can be confident to keep at it and not go away from the game plan
  • I thought defense and offense was very good today from starting five and from the bench. ONO still baffles me sometimes with how she can’t finish at the rim, but in the fourth quarter I still see her grabbing rebounds and effecting shots. She needs to be a bit more sound defensively against tougher teams because she will be in foul trouble. My hope is that she can be built back up in time for March because she is so important for us if we want to contend for a championship
  • CW played lights out, all aspects
  • Megan is playing solid and even tho I think her offense is in a little rut she is doing all the other things like rebounding and defense on bigger players. I just feel like we don’t need to worry about Meg going invisible on us
  • CD was playing great defense as usual and her offense was not needed tonight
  • Kyla played ok. She became more aggressive offensively on a few occasions and I’m happy to see that.
  • Anna - wow 80% from three. Good defense good rebounder solid ball handling and looks so comfortable on the court. It almost seems like she’s an upper classman. She’s in a good place and her play is so important for us because when’s she’s in the game she stretches the defense, adds another 3 point shooter for us and on defense she defends well and rebounds well for a guard. Lastly her teammates especially CD trusts her to handle bringing the ball up court against the trap, something that I think Kyla would be at a disadvantage. That means another dribbler and passer to push through the press and let CW and MW to go up court and finish with easy layups. Man AM means so much to our team in what she can do
  • AG - loving her confidence. Her offense moves are still raw but man her explosiveness is off the charts. There was one pay where she exploded to the basket and although she missed the layup my mouth was wide open with her explosion and leaping ability (playing above the rim). And then her defense, oh my. I just can’t believe how talented she is defensively. I don’t think the players she guarded scored more than a bucket or two all game. That one block was lebronesque. Beautiful athlete.
  • I haven’t been the biggest Molly fan but I am just loving the way she’s playing and even tho she doesn’t fill up the stat sheet. The eye test is there for me. She looks comfortable and her defense has made tremendous strides from her first three years. So proud of her and glad she got some good minutes tonight
  • Lastly is EA, she looks so much better out there. Very solid and I’m just so pleased that Geno let her only so much. You can see she’s happier and she’s now able to contribute against some of these teams we’re playing. Even though she may not get into the game against the top teams, just her ability to spell Liv or Aubrey will be huge as the wear and tear of the season occurs
  • Lastly Geno and Staff has done an incredible job with this team. At the beginning of the year they were not a good team. And Andy Landers mentioned how much Ucinn has improved. I’m one to be so impressed that this team with all our shortcomings in size and elite length and athleticism has become this good on defense. And slowly I see Geno implementing things on offense that is helping every player get comfortable in knowing their role. Kudos.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Still, I cannt help but feel bad for her. Long-term itll pay off but gotta be a short-term hit to her confidence.

This summer, I'd like to see her skip playing FIBA ball, stay on campus and work with the team trainers to add about 15 lbs of muscle and work on her shooting, work on her low post moves from either side of the lane, and eliminate that dreaded fly swat. Completely remove it from her game. Package that sucker up and UPS it anywhere. Just get it out of the state, and out of her consciousness.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My thoughts:
  • I see a team that is battling hard and fights through adversity. This bodes well as the more experience they get facing all different styles of play they can be confident to keep at it and not go away from the game plan
  • I thought defense and offense was very good today from starting five and from the bench. ONO still baffles me sometimes with how she can’t finish at the rim, but in the fourth quarter I still see her grabbing rebounds and effecting shots. She needs to be a bit more sound defensively against tougher teams because she will be in foul trouble. My hope is that she can be built back up in time for March because she is so important for us if we want to contend for a championship
  • CW played lights out, all aspects
  • Megan is playing solid and even tho I think her offense is in a little rut she is doing all the other things like rebounding and defense on bigger players. I just feel like we don’t need to worry about Meg going invisible on us
  • CD was playing great defense as usual and her offense was not needed tonight
  • Kyla played ok. She became more aggressive offensively on a few occasions and I’m happy to see that.
  • Anna - wow 80% from three. Good defense good rebounder solid ball handling and looks so comfortable on the court. It almost seems like she’s an upper classman. She’s in a good place and her play is so important for us because when’s she’s in the game she stretches the defense, adds another 3 point shooter for us and on defense she defends well and rebounds well for a guard. Lastly her teammates especially CD trusts her to handle bringing the ball up court against the trap, something that I think Kyla would be at a disadvantage. That means another dribbler and passer to push through the press and let CW and MW to go up court and finish with easy layups. Man AM means so much to our team in what she can do
  • AG - loving her confidence. Her offense moves are still raw but man her explosiveness is off the charts. There was one pay where she exploded to the basket and although she missed the layup my mouth was wide open with her explosion and leaping ability (playing above the rim). And then her defense, oh my. I just can’t believe how talented she is defensively. I don’t think the players she guarded scored more than a bucket or two all game. That one block was lebronesque. Beautiful athlete.
  • I haven’t been the biggest Molly fan but I am just loving the way she’s playing and even tho she doesn’t fill up the stat sheet. The eye test is there for me. She looks comfortable and her defense has made tremendous strides from her first three years. So proud of her and glad she got some good minutes tonight
  • Lastly is EA, she looks so much better out there. Very solid and I’m just so pleased that Geno let her only so much. You can see she’s happier and she’s now able to contribute against some of these teams we’re playing. Even though she may not get into the game against the top teams, just her ability to spell Liv or Aubrey will be huge as the wear and tear of the season occurs
  • Lastly Geno and Staff has done an incredible job with this team. At the beginning of the year they were not a good team. And Andy Landers mentioned how much Ucinn has improved. I’m one to be so impressed that this team with all our shortcomings in size and elite length and athleticism has become this good on defense. And slowly I see Geno implementing things on offense that is helping every player get comfortable in knowing their role. Kudos.

2 comments on a great analysis

1) Lebronesque is old school. Zionesque is more accurate.
2) Molly made some real nice assists (3 Assists and only 1TO) and Geno is getting her into games earlier than ever.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Crystal had a really solid game: 9 pts on 4/6 shooting, 4 assists, 3 steals and only 1 turnover. Best of all, she played only 24 minutes, getting some much needed time off.

Carnac

Reaction Score
2 comments on a great analysis

1) Lebronesque is old school. Zionesque is more accurate.
2) Molly made some real nice assists (3 Assists and only 1TO) and Geno is getting her into games earlier than ever.

Molly got in a little later today because he's not trying to develop her. She's (a senior) as developed as she's going to get. He needed those minutes for Anna and Aubrey. They're the ones on the come!! :rolleyes:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My two cents (a penny apiece): Even though they're not a good team, ECU IS the kind of team UConn has struggled with, and UConn weathered the storm in the first quarter.. They're very physical, a lot of banging, and really pesky. And Anna really has put a stick in 0-for-America.

One more point: Meg was a beast, double-double in the first half. More importantly from my PoV, though is ONE turnover for the third game in a row.

Reaction Score
From the "cup half empty department", Liv continues to get the consequences of unsatisfactory play. Geno will challenge your mental toughness. No doubt about that.
Wonder who is in charge of teaching ONO not to swat down on the ball. Whoever it is, his/her coaching is not showing results.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Molly got in a little later today because he's not trying to develop her. She's (a senior) as developed as she's going to get. He needed those minutes for Anna and Aubrey. They're the ones on the come!! :rolleyes:

I thought she got in in the 2Q. Maybe mistaken. I actually think he has a desire to give his seniors Molly and Kyla some more meaningful minutes if possible to honor their overall careers.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wonder who is in charge of teaching ONO not to swat down on the ball. Whoever it is, his/her coaching is not showing results.

She gets away with it so much because her timing is usually pretty good but it really needs to stop. Too bad a simple solution like electoshocks would be frowned upon. :oops:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
IF (let me repeat) if...
Folks weren't passing to Anna

They're passing to her now... :)
It was not folks not passing, it was Walker not passing. It happened today. In one instance, Anna was wide open and Walker looked at her and then shot a three and hit it. A short time later, Walker had the ball, looked at a wide open Anna, then passed to someone else. It's not just perception, look at the replay.

Reaction Score
If you take away the 0-13 start to the season, Makurat is 34-66, 51.5% from 3. I would not be surprised if after four years, she is considered in the same tier of shooters as KML and KLS. Her continued development is making me more optimistic after each game for a late run in March.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom