ECU Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

ECU Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Yep my thoughts exactly. Doty starts, Bria comes in after a couple of minutes.
It was sad because Caroline Doty was a wonderful talent whose UConn career was hampered so severly with major injury issues .... how many ACL's???? By the end of her time in Storrs, her wheels were almost gone though she still played tough and smart and with great intensity ..... easily one of my favorite Huskies ever

Reaction Score
Tina was the USBWA National Freshman of the Year as well as the Big East FOY. She was also the second leading scorer on the team that year and it wasn’t because she was bigger and stronger, either. I love Liv and want her to bloom and thrive at UConn but she does not have Tina’s innate talent. Tina was born with gifts that, when she chose to use them, makes her unguardable. THAT was the problem early in Tina’s UConn career - she could be wildly inconsistent in her level of effort. Once she decided to go full out 100% of the time, she was unstoppable.

And for the record, Tina thought about transferring for about 5 minutes but her Mom told her to stop whining and do what her coach told her to do.

I am of the opinion that Tina was the most physically gifted player that has suited up for UConn. Not necessarily the best athlete, but her combination of size, strength and quickness was unprecedented and unguardable. The first time I saw her in person, grabbing a rebound, making a move and elevating for a basket, I gasped. Remarkable player. And perhaps the most unappreciated of UConn greats.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Anna - 1 of the best shooting performances in UConn history, hands-down.. 8 for 10 from downtown, and the 2 misses were in and out. The only performance I can remember that was better was KLS' "perfect" game - 10-10 3 pointers - is still the NCAA record.
Yea, Makurat was right there.

KLS had the 10/10 game. Also had a 8/11 game.
KML had a 10/13 game
Moore had 10 3's in the Syracuse game, but I'm not sure how many shots it took her.
Nurse had a 9/12 game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have watched about 3/8ths of the game and had to stop the replay. So far CW is providing me with the same cringeworthy feelings I used to get when Hartley controlled the ball. I hope her passing gets better as the game progresses. I noticed this same tendency against The Lady Vols. Nice to see her shot going in. Hope it continues to do so against ranked opponents and the National Team.
Well if her BA and MOP performance is giving you cringworthy feelings...it's probably you and not her.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I am of the opinion that Tina was the most physically gifted player that has suited up for UConn. Not necessarily the best athlete, but her combination of size, strength and quickness was unprecedented and unguardable. The first time I saw her in person, grabbing a rebound, making a move and elevating for a basket, I gasped. Remarkable player. And perhaps the most unappreciated of UConn greats.
First time I saw her in person, I had gone to see CTK play here in Springfield at the MLK tourney. UCONN was recruiting Careem Gay and I wanted to see how good she was. Charles was a year younger, but by the end of the game, I was thinking, forget about Gay, we should be going after this Charles kid.

And luckily we did.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Well if her BA and MOP performance is giving you cringworthy feelings...it's probably you and not her.
We are talking about Christyn Williams. Right? When was she the MOP? The only MOP worth talking about is for the NCAA tourney. BA - batting average? Blocks against? Neither Williams nor Hartley were ever the MOP in the NCAA tourney. Actually it does not matter. They both are very good players who periodically have made one cringeworthy pass after another in a given games.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We are talking about Christyn Williams. Right? When was she the MOP? The only MOP worth talking about is for the NCAA tourney. BA - batting average? Blocks against? Neither Williams nor Hartley were ever the MOP in the NCAA tourney. Actually it does not matter. They both are very good players who periodically have made one cringeworthy pass after another in a given games.
Ummm, hello?? Yea Williams. When was she MOP/MVP/POG (whatever you want to call it)??? Umm, just like 3 days ago??? You feeling ok?? I realize some of y'all's memories ain't so good, but 3 days??? Yikes.

BA, um Bad Ass. You don't read Kibitzer's threads???

And like I said, I got your Williams prediction all tucked away for next year.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Ummm, hello?? Yea Williams. When was she MOP/MVP/POG (whatever you want to call it)??? Umm, just like 3 days ago??? You feeling ok?? I realize some of y'all's memories ain't so good, but 3 days??? Yikes. BA, um Bad Ass. You don't read Kibitzer's threads??? And like I said, I got your Williams prediction all tucked away for next year.
Good! Iwant you to eat crow! :D
When was she MOP/MVP/POG (whatever you want to call it)??? Umm, just like 3 days ago???
And you are questioning my memory?! :p:eek::oops:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
So? She still has spells of terrible passing not unlike Hartley. When she wins a meaningful award I will celebrate. Typically the BA is shared by a number of players as in participation trophy. Fans can't help themselves. I'm not saying she is a poor player. I am saying I don't see the big sophomore jump. She is better but not like Meg better. And I know Meg is junior. Perhaps CW will be like Stewart and show up in NCAA tourney.

Reaction Score
I think Tina was pretty awesome but her three year teammate Maya exceeded her in all three of those characteristics, in my humble opinion. Again, no disrespect for Tina but Maya was sublime. I don't think anyone has had could surpass Maya's brilliance. And from day one, at that!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So? She still has spells of terrible passing not unlike Hartley. When she wins a meaningful award I will celebrate.
Say like the AAC FOY award???

She is better but not like Meg better. And I know Meg is junior.
Interesting you bring up Walker, seeing as how she has more turnovers than Williams (in less minutes). In fact Williams has the 2nd lowest TO/min on the team. (Dangerfield being lowest) So all these "terrible" passes really don't amount to much, do they?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So? She still has spells of terrible passing not unlike Hartley. When she wins a meaningful award I will celebrate. Typically the BA is shared by a number of players as in participation trophy. Fans can't help themselves. I'm not saying she is a poor player. I am saying I don't see the big sophomore jump. She is better but not like Meg better. And I know Meg is junior. Perhaps CW will be like Stewart and show up in NCAA tourney.
Go back and look at last year’s games; watch Meg. People were saying the same thing about her last year that some are saying about Christyn this year. She’s following the same development trajectory

Reaction Score
I think Tina was pretty awesome but her three year teammate Maya exceeded her in all three of those characteristics, in my humble opinion. Again, no disrespect for Tina but Maya was sublime. I don't think anyone has had could surpass Maya's brilliance. And from day one, at that!

Don’t disagree that Maya was sublime and a more talented player. No question. My point was that Tina was more physically talented. An unmatched combination of size and mobility.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Interesting you bring up Walker, seeing as how she has more turnovers than Williams (in less minutes). In fact Williams has the 2nd lowest TO/min on the team. (Dangerfield being lowest) So all these "terrible" passes really don't amount to much, do they?

Only in the eyes of me, CD, and Geno and all astute fans who want her to improve in every way. :rolleyes:;) If you were her coach would you celebrate her areas of mediocrity? Who gets more attention from the defense? :D

Reaction Score

I start recognizing awards when a news service picks up the story. :rolleyes:

My view of Williams is that last year her role was to create offense, mostly on her own. This year she is a more integral part of the team at both ends. She has become a decent rebounder and works hard on defense. That's a lot to add to your game and still maintain your shot, especially for an underclassman. She is/has been a great shooter and her eye will come back.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Go back and look at last year’s games; watch Meg. People were saying the same thing about her last year that some are saying about Christyn this year. She’s following the same development trajectory
I commented on CW's periodic passing malady for this season. I also said if she does not make a "Meg" sized jump next season, by January she may be seeing fewer minutes because of next season's guard talent e.g., Evina, Paige, and Nika plus Aubrey may have her own serious jump next season. Although she will probably be wing. I fully expect Geno and CD will try their best to fast track Aaliyah since it is obvious this team needs more post presence. Such as two bigs on the court most of the time particularly against ranked teams. Olivia needs another big to take the double teams away. Let's see how Oregon's Hebard and Sabally defensively and offensively play Olivia. None of this demeans her as a person or as a player. I am sure Geno has provided her with far more pointed comments about her play.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Only in the eyes of me, CD, and Geno and all astute fans who want her to improve in every way. :rolleyes:;) If you were her coach would you celebrate her areas of mediocrity? Who gets more attention from the defense? :D
Williams, like all the players, have plenty of things to work on. I don't see "terrible passes" as one of the main priorities. Especially since there isn't any factual evidence, other than "what Beercats sees".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom