East Carolina OOC Schedule | Page 4 | The Boneyard

East Carolina OOC Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECU

Reaction Score
He keeps saying "Coleman, who you guys wanted" like we were on the guy hard from the start. He was like our 8th backup center option who we offered when everyone else fell apart and still didn't go after that hard. Give me a break.

Regardless I'll gladly take a 7 footer that's 255lb built like Dwight Howard hitting step back NBA 3's and with multiple 5+ three point games and that has to jump about 6 inches to dunk the ball with his 7-5 wingspan. These guys don't grow on trees and there is a reason 20+ P5 schools offered him.

We've never had a 7 footer like this.

js-VE4.gif

Dude can hit 6+ threes in a game like this , multiple times. You space him out and give Gardner room to work in the paint and we are on to something. That's a serious 1/2 combo for the next 3 years.

Last edited:

ECU

Reaction Score
He keeps saying "Coleman, who you guys wanted" like we were on the guy hard from the start. He was like our 8th backup center option who we offered when everyone else fell apart and still didn't go after that hard. Give me a break.

Who have you even got in the post. All I an find is he's got a couple of skinny 200 pound 6-9/6-10 guys coming in, I can see why Hurley was recruiting Coleman and Quansah.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Regardless I'll gladly take a 7 footer that's 255lb built like Dwight Howard hitting step back NBA 3's and with multiple 5+ three point games and that has to jump about 6 inches to dunk the ball with his 7-5 wingspan. These guys don't grow on trees and there is a reason 20+ P5 schools offered him.

js-VE4.gif

Dude can hit 6+ threes in a game like this , multiple times. You space him out and give Gardner room to work in the paint and we are on to something. That's a serious 1/2 combo for the next 3 years.

It's crazy he turned Duke down Mrs. Coleman.

Reaction Score
The worlds only ECU fan. See ya in the tournament! Just kidding, you will never make it.

Reaction Score
C-Coleman 7-0, 255 Fr…Wake Forest decommit
F Gardner…6-7, 235 So…#1 highest PER returning in the AAC
F-Baruiti 6-7, 225 Jr…Washington transfer
G-Jackson 6-2, 215. Jr…Virginia Tech transfer
G-Robinson 6-1, 195 So…#7 ranked JUCO On 247

Leday- 6-7, 215 Sr…5th highest returning PER in the AAC, Virginia Tech transfer

A word of warning, piecing together classes with decommits, transfers and JUCO's should not be something to make you optimistic. This kind of thing was a symptom of our recent decline and is unlikely a precursor to ECU becoming a strong basketball program. If your new staff is really that good, they won't be there that long. And if your two best players are really that good, they won't be around until the end of their remaining three years of eligibility. This is probably the reality for ECU. Best of luck but your fate is of no relevance to us any longer.

Reaction Score
While I can appreciate some fan back and forth in good taste, can we at least try to seem semi-welcoming to other fans? It's like whenever any other teams fan says anything, we resort to we are great and they suck. Ridiculous and immature - yet we complain about how unreal other boards are.

This guy is just talking up ECU, let him and no need to talk down.

ECU

Reaction Score
Just noticed that East Carolina hired Coleman's high school coach as an assistant coach lol. The things you do for the guy ranked 339th.

We also demoted a guy that coached at South Carolina and Auburn to make a position for him . I think it's more than just Coleman. It's not like Coleman was living on his couch, I read Coleman came from a good family situation. That coach has a resume that's totally fine for our 3rd assistant and I'm glad we got some young blood AAU guy on the staff. He founded his own AAU team with 14 D1 scholarship guys. Plus he was at Providence when they won the Big East last. It's not like he was driving delivery trucks. Grassroots AAU guy right there in your backyard. It's a great staff now with some big time AAU connections. How is that bad.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
While I can appreciate some fan back and forth in good taste, can we at least try to seem semi-welcoming to other fans? It's like whenever any other teams fan says anything, we resort to we are great and they suck. Ridiculous and immature - yet we complain about how unreal other boards are.

This guy is just talking up ECU, let him and no need to talk down.
I miss the days of RutgersAl.

Reaction Score
He had David West committed when he was fired BTW

man. hate to see that. guess he just had to settle for playing for Skip Prosser and Thad Matta instead
86607733024a2cb416554ecd0aececcf.jpg

Last edited:

ECU

Reaction Score
man. hate to see that
86607733024a2cb416554ecd0aececcf.jpg

The future National player of the year Dooley he had commited to ECU when he was fired in 1999. Dooley has confirmed several times since. Derrick Quansah the african 7 footer you guys were recruiting as well that commited to us actually lives with David West's brother and trains with David West. It's a relationship that's still there today. It's a lot of the reason we got him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dooley has confirmed several times since. Derrick Quansah the african 7 footer you guys were recruiting as well that commited to us actually lives with David West's brother who David West is working with. It's a relationship that's still there today. It's a lot of the reason we got him.

Well if Dooley confirmed it...
Yes, the West brothers do good work with their Garner Road program you're right about that

ECU

Reaction Score
Well if Dooley confirmed it...
Yes, the West brothers do good work with their Garner Road program you're right about that

I heard it straight from the horses mouth. I had heard it before but after Kansas won the nation title over Memphis in 2008, Dooley was on the radio locally and was asked about him and confirmed he had commited. Dooley also signed Evladas Jocys as well with David West and would have had him coming back as well who was the biggest recruit we ever signed (top 40). Dooley had some injury bad luck, Jocys was our best player and missed a third of Dooley's last year giving the AD that didn't hire him an excuse to fire him after a 13-14 record. It's the what could have been entering into old CUSA too. Crazy we get a second chance with Dooley.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Win/Loss record has nothing to do with whether or not we were an afterthought and it has nothing to do with whether or not moving to the Big East is a good decision

Win/loss record has everything to do with whether or not we were an afterthought.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

js-VE4.gif

852E895C-02D5-47AC-BDE8-DB8633E9C8D2.jpeg

Reaction Score
Win/loss record has everything to do with whether or not we were an afterthought.

Nope, sorry. Its the same idea as even when the Yankees or Red Sox are bad, it’s still a big deal when they come town.

Reaction Score
So what do you want ECU to do? Schedule UNC DUKE NC State, Auburn, TCU? This is the problem with all these silly rating systems. Teams ought to focus on scheduling for success. It would be absolutely stupid for ECU to schedule the same way we do. PAL is absolutely right, too. Get used to lots of 25 win seasons and first weekend ousters. When we were last in the Big East teams like Providence St Johns and Seton Hall were doormats. Now they make the tourney. It ain’t because they suddenly got so much better. The competition is just much weaker. But you know, MSG BABY. Much like Clemson results in folks badly over valuing ACC football Villanova causes them to do the same with Big East basketball. One excellent team and a bunch of midgets in both cases. But then again MSG BABY, MSG...

Wrong

Seton Hall & Providence are better. Georgetown May rise.

That’s a false narrative. The Big East Fanbase & Universities just care about Hoop more than the AAC.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The OOC is horrific yes, but I think you would have a hard time arguing we aren't trending in the right direction moving forward with Jayden Gardner for 3 more years, a staff of Dooley, Chillious, and Roccaforte, and an unprecedented 11 new player recruiting class.

Dooley had options, turned down Rhode Island after we paid him 200k more, Roccaforte left a top 25 Virginia Tech as their top assistant to be our 3rd assistant last summer. That's a really good staff and it seems to have paid off getting guys like Charles Coleman right in your back yard this spring who you guys, Duke and tons of other big schools wanted.

I don't think we are going to be a drag on the conference anymore and I expect we should be favored perhaps all of those games (#53 Liberty at home is the toss up I think), and possibly should win nearly all of them which will mitigate some of it's honorificness.

Wrong.

The whole point of this thread is no matter your record (Within reason), coaching, players, swag, whatever - this OOC schedule kills the metrics of the whole conference. It shouldn't be permitted in a conference that touts itself as power-anything.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
C-Coleman 7-0, 255 Fr…Wake Forest decommit
F Gardner…6-7, 235 So…#1 highest PER returning in the AAC
F-Baruiti 6-7, 225 Jr…Washington transfer
G-Jackson 6-2, 215. Jr…Virginia Tech transfer
G-Robinson 6-1, 195 So…#7 ranked JUCO On 247

Leday- 6-7, 215 Sr…5th highest returning PER in the AAC, Virginia Tech transfer

We got three 7 footers on the roster. We also have 4th 7 footer UConn was recruiting as well that wanted to commit this year we got to Prep a year in D. Quansah commited for next year. Coleman averaged 6.1 blocks and has multiple games of 5+ 3pointers made in games on his highlights. He's going to fit well with Gardner.

Coleman

0qm-6V.gif

Quansah

aOPfit.gif
We’ve seen a lot of P5 transfers roll through our football program. Typically you see quickly why they drop down a peg.

ECU

Reaction Score
Wrong.

The whole point of this thread is no matter your record (Within reason), coaching, players, swag, whatever - this OOC schedule kills the metrics of the whole conference. It shouldn't be permitted in a conference that touts itself as power-anything.

Sure, and I said it's horrific and indefensible and I hope we don't see one like this again. Dooley has talked about wanting to play 5 P5 or high RPI/NET teams a year. That said if we go something like 11-2 or better which I think is very possible and everyone should be expected with a schedule this bad it will at least be mitigated to some degree by success.

Winning matters a lot in the equation too as well as how bad you beat teams now with NET. We just need to go out and beat them all by 10 points and this is mostly a non issue. I think we have the team that has a chance to get close to that now.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
We are literally discussing the possible outcome of a basketball game being played between Eastern Carolina State College (which is in the same state as Coastal Carolina University, right?) and the University of Maryland, Eastern Shore. July 1, 2020 can not come fast enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom