East Carolina OOC Schedule | Page 3 | The Boneyard

East Carolina OOC Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECU

Reaction Score
The OOC is horrific yes, but I think you would have a hard time arguing we aren't trending in the right direction moving forward with Jayden Gardner for 3 more years, a staff of Dooley, Chillious, and Roccaforte, and an unprecedented 11 new player recruiting class.

Dooley had options, turned down Rhode Island after we paid him 200k more, Roccaforte left a top 25 Virginia Tech as their top assistant to be our 3rd assistant last summer. That's a really good staff and it seems to have paid off getting guys like Charles Coleman right in your back yard this spring who you guys, Duke and tons of other big schools wanted.

I don't think we are going to be a drag on the conference anymore and I expect we should be favored perhaps all of those games (#53 Liberty at home is the toss up I think), and possibly should win nearly all of them which will mitigate some of it's honorificness.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
yet true. we were an afterthought in that conference, never did much of note during the regular seasons and conference tournaments. Hopefully that does not happen in the CBE.

I’m gonna have to ask you to elaborate. You realize we have played in three conference tournament finals, right? Tied for the most of any school (Cincinnati)?

Reaction Score
I can understand struggling in the AAC for football.

What’s the excuse for hoops?

Hope we go 7-25 this year.

Reaction Score
The OOC is horrific yes, but I think you would have a hard time arguing we aren't trending in the right direction moving forward with Jayden Gardner for 3 more years, a staff of Dooley, Chillious, and Roccaforte, and an unprecedented 11 new player recruiting class.

Dooley had options, turned down Rhode Island after we paid him 200k more, Roccaforte left a top 25 Virginia Tech as their top assistant to be our 3rd assistant last summer. That's a really good staff and it seems to have paid off getting guys like Charles Coleman right in your back yard this spring who you guys, Duke and tons of other big schools wanted.

I don't think we are going to be a drag on the conference anymore and I expect we should be favored perhaps all of those games (#53 Liberty at home is the toss up I think), and possibly should win nearly all of them which will mitigate some of it's honorificness.

Hey @August_West @Mano, looks like we found a golden tankard.

Reaction Score
yet true. we were an afterthought in that conference, never did much of note during the regular seasons and conference tournaments. Hopefully that does not happen in the CBE.

AAC fanboy ^

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I never bought into the Cincy as our rival narrative the boneyard was always pushing. The AAC sucked so hard people tried to convince themselves Cincy is our rival. It's a conference USA team we played a bunch.

It’s like when you get invited to a wedding and the only person you know besides the bride and groom is somebody you hung out with a couple of times in college and, even though you didn’t like each other that much, the two of you bond over making fun of all the weirdos at the wedding. Cincinnati hasn’t been as much a rival as it has been the only other program in circumstances like ours. But now we’re going back to the hotel with a bridesmaid. See ya Cincy!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Chillious is great. I hope your lawyers are better.

Reaction Score

A reasonable person could argue that needing to bring in 11 new players at once is decidedly NOT a sign that things are moving in the right direction.

Reaction Score
sorry dont like the white flag. Some people are ok with small time regional I guess

it's easy to make the perfect (the P5) the enemy of the good (the BE). but sometimes perfection is unattainable.

Reaction Score
So what do you want ECU to do? Schedule UNC DUKE NC State, Auburn, TCU? This is the problem with all these silly rating systems. Teams ought to focus on scheduling for success. It would be absolutely stupid for ECU to schedule the same way we do. PAL is absolutely right, too. Get used to lots of 25 win seasons and first weekend ousters. When we were last in the Big East teams like Providence St Johns and Seton Hall were doormats. Now they make the tourney. It ain’t because they suddenly got so much better. The competition is just much weaker. But you know, MSG BABY. Much like Clemson results in folks badly over valuing ACC football Villanova causes them to do the same with Big East basketball. One excellent team and a bunch of midgets in both cases. But then again MSG BABY, MSG...

well providence and seton hall have actually gotten better. st john's not so much. they have probably gotten worse. the fact they made the tourney last year is ridiculous. they ended up like 88th in kenpom and had a losing conference record. they racked up wins in the non-conference against a horrible schedule (good argument in favor of ECU's scheduling approach) and got the new york media hype train rolling and backed their way into a bid. that team was terrible.

providence and seton hall are actually fielding good teams every year though. myles powell is a preaseason 1st team all-american by pretty much every publication

Reaction Score
That's a really good staff and it seems to have paid off getting guys like Charles Coleman right in your back yard this spring who you guys, Duke and tons of other big schools wanted.
Baaahahahahahahahahahaha, you fell for that?!?!? Somebody actually fell for that?!?

ECU

Reaction Score
A reasonable person could argue that needing to bring in 11 new players at once is decidedly NOT a sign that things are moving in the right direction.

It is unprecedented. Jon Rothstein was commenting on it this week about how he's only seen 8 or 9 in a class before. I think it's fair to ask why this staff didn't bring in more help than Gardner last year, but regardless this is exactly the extreme make over we needed moving forward once he saw where we were would you not agree?

I give Dooley some credit for not playing around. He cut 8 players and kept the only two players worth keeping IMO. He also demoted Potasnak a coach who had coached at South Carolina and Auburn and got a young guy that founded his own AAU team with 14 D1 players the last year and a half on it, coached JFK's high school to their first ever playoffs and was at Providence when they last won the Big East. He helped deliverer Coleman and has big ties to your recruiting area. I like we are playing the recruiting game and this staffs make up.

Other than this monstrosity of an OOC I don't think the off season could have gone much better. We got a big athletic team that looks like a P5 team now with experience that didn't sacrifice the future either with probably our two best players having 3 years left.

Last edited:

ECU

Reaction Score
C-Coleman 7-0, 255 Fr…Wake Forest decommit
F Gardner…6-7, 235 So…#1 highest PER returning in the AAC
F-Baruiti 6-7, 225 Jr…Washington transfer
G-Jackson 6-2, 215. Jr…Virginia Tech transfer
G-Robinson 6-1, 195 So…#7 ranked JUCO On 247

Leday- 6-7, 215 Sr…5th highest returning PER in the AAC, Virginia Tech transfer

We got three 7 footers on the roster. We also have 4th 7 footer UConn was recruiting as well that wanted to commit this year we got to Prep a year in D. Quansah commited for next year. Coleman averaged 6.1 blocks and has multiple games of 5+ 3pointers made in games on his highlights. He's going to fit well with Gardner.

Coleman

0qm-6V.gif

Quansah

aOPfit.gif

Last edited:
Reaction Score
sorry dont like the white flag. Some people are ok with small time regional I guess

As opposed to what? “power 6” Southern?

Any UConn fan arguing we should have stayed in the AAC for basketball is nothing short of moron.

Reaction Score
It is unprecedented. Jon Rothstein was commenting on it this week about how he's only seen 8 or 9 in a class before. I think it's fair to ask why this staff didn't bring in more help than Gardner last year, but regardless this is exactly the extreme make over we needed moving forward once he saw where we were would you not agree?

I give Dooley some credit for not playing around. He cut 8 players and kept the only two players worth keeping IMO. He also demoted Potasnak a coach who had coached at South Carolina and Auburn and got a young guy that founded his own AAU team with 14 D1 players the last year and a half on it, coached JFK's high school to their first ever playoffs and was at Providence when they last won the Big East. He helped deliverer Coleman and has big ties to your recruiting area. I like we are playing the recruiting game and this staffs make up.

Other than this monstrosity of an OOC I don't think the off season could have gone much better. We got a big athletic team that looks like a P5 team now with experience that didn't sacrifice the future either with probably our two best players having 3 years left.

No one cares.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
He keeps saying "Coleman, who you guys wanted" like we were on the guy hard from the start. He was like our 8th backup center option who we offered when everyone else fell apart and still didn't go after that hard. Give me a break.

Reaction Score
As opposed to what? “power 6” Southern?

Any UConn fan arguing we should have stayed in the AAC for basketball is nothing short of moron.
We sacrificed an entire athletic department for one sport.

ECU

Reaction Score
All half dozen of them!

The thing is we've averaged 50k football fans a in a season with in the last decade. There are a lot of "ECU" fans that are just waiting for ECU to give them something to root for in basketball. This is a basketball state with a lot of fans like myself liking basketball more and I think we can peal off plenty of the secondary Duke/UNC fans if we even had an NIT quality product.

What is also unprecedented in the history of college basketball is ECU hired Dooley when he was 29 years old in 1993 and an AD that didn't hire him fired him 4 years later after a couple injury bad luck years where he lost his best players gave him an excuse. He had David West committed when he was fired BTW. The guy had options in 2018 when we hired him back. He obviously thinks he can win here or he wouldn't have come back after THAT and he should know more than anyone after spending 8 years here of the upside.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99