Earth to Jalen. Come in Jalen. You out there? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Earth to Jalen. Come in Jalen. You out there?

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
When has this occasionally lazy approach hurt him before yesterday? His entire career. He was the 23rd ranked player in the country coming out of high school and was supposed to be playing in the NBA right now. Instead he's been a part of the worst stretch in UConn basketball since the early 80's.

That's not the result of JA not achieving super stardom. Even Kemba would not be able to do much with the previous supporting casts.

pj

Reaction Score
Jalen seems like a nice guy who wants a balanced life -- balanced meaning 20% partying and 80% work. But the highest level of basketball excellence can be reached only with 100% focus. The difference in lifetime income between 100% focus on basketball and 80% focus on basketball is huge for Jalen. Those of us with a longer view can see that to devote a decade exclusively to basketball, now, would enable him to have a really, really good life for the following 40 years. But the future is far away ... fun is close ...

Reaction Score
Is Jalen better than Rodney Purvis was? They both have had a bunch of highs and lows.

Reaction Score
My sources tell me that after graduation he will be getting an apartment in Hartford.

I wouldn't doubt it. He's definitely not getting one in a city that has an NBA team.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
ja. currently, shoots around 50% on about 14 shots while playing about 30 minutes a game, with career highs in both 2 and 3 point shooting percentages. 3rd in 3%, 1st in ft%, 1st in to's,, 2nd in steals and assists, 4th in rebounds, 5th in shots blocked. tied or leading scorer in 13 of the teams 22 games. 1st in scoring, averaging around 18 ppg, currently 6th in aac while having the 2nd best shooting % of the top 10. will finish his career in the top 1/2 dozen or so UConn alltime points leader (oh, no! he's passing cliff!). nothing to see here, moving on...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is Jalen better than Rodney Purvis was? They both have had a bunch of highs and lows.

They played together Rodneys last year and Jalen was better then and much better his senior year compared to Rodneys. No comparision. Want to call Jalen lazy and not leader fine but talent wise, at the college level, he is much better than Purvis.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
No, that’s just antagonizing and showing up a guy for no reason. That’s insulting, not teaching. Hurley likes Jalen. He cares about him and nothing makes him more frustrated as a coach than a guy not maximizing his ability. I’d bet on Jalen coming out strong against Temple. It’s such an understatement, but man are some people here hard on Jalen. Did he kick your dog or something?
Yeah, I was thinking that as I posted. I know it wouldn't happen and I wasn't completely serious - it was more for comedic value.

I actually like Jalen and I think he gets unfairly bashed on the board - not to heights of Ricky or Taliek, but more than is deserved.

That being said, I really am tired of him not being ready for games, not being the leader he needs to be, etc. We are a much worse team without him, but we could be so much better with a better prepared, engaged, and enthused Jalen.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They played together Rodneys last year and Jalen was better then and much better his senior year compared to Rodneys. No comparision. Want to call Jalen lazy and not leader fine but talent wise, at the college level, he is much better than Purvis.

Maybe, but Rodney never, ever took a minute off on the court. I doubt he did in practice. He was a leader and always gave everything he had. He was unfortunately forced to play 37 MPG his senior year and always drew the toughest assignment on the defensive end. Jalen is more skilled overall.

For all of the people hating on Jalen, look at how much better his this year in every area except assists (since AG is the PG)
Jalen Adams College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
My biggest complaint is that he shoots 85% from the line and takes less than 3 FT a game.

Reaction Score
I think JA is a better player and has a higher ceiling than Purvis but is a lot more frustrating player when he fails to play up to the level he is more than able to reach. He makes it look easy at times but then he just completely disappears at times and just coasts.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but Rodney never, ever took a minute off on the court. I doubt he did in practice. He was a leader and always gave everything he had. He was unfortunately forced to play 37 MPG his senior year and always drew the toughest assignment on the defensive end. Jalen is more skilled overall.

For all of the people hating on Jalen, look at how much better his this year in every area except assists (since AG is the PG)
Jalen Adams College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
My biggest complaint is that he shoots 85% from the line and takes less than 3 FT a game.
When you say he's better in every area you're ignoring fouls and turnovers, the 2 areas in which he is killing us.

As you said, AG is the PG, yet Jalen is averaging the most TO per 40 of his entire career. And the most fouls per 40 of his entire career.

Reaction Score
The ones who associate KO with Jalen are pretty much wrong. If he's a great kid and coachable what happened yesterday wouldn't have happened after being under the tutelage of Hurley for this long already. This is all on him and he is who he is. It's ashame because there is so much more there but we need to understand the kids who get better use their own time, away from the coach in the summer and off season at school to become who they want to be. He basically has the same body minus standard maturity, as he did when entering. If he wanted to be as good as he can be he's be twice as strong, cut to his max and could easily play 35 minutes without tugging on his shorts.
I remember you posting about Jalen's shirt being out, and saying he needs to tuck it in. Now its become an issue for me. I noticed last night that he had it out and it was deliberate.

Its nit picking maybe, but a uniform is a symbol of uniformity (i.e. same team, same goal, all for one, etc..). For him to purposely wear it out and be different from his teammates is a statement even if unintentional (meaning he wants to look cool). The sneakers are for individuality, but the uniform and how its worn, should all be on one accord.

Not sure what statement he's trying to make but now thanks to you Mau its one I don't like hearing. Plus I can't recall any other UConn player purposely wearing their uniform differently. Again its a minor thing but is it a major statement?

Reaction Score
I remember you posting about Jalen's shirt being out, and saying he needs to tuck it in. Now its become an issue for me. I noticed last night that he had it out and it was deliberate.

Its nit picking maybe, but a uniform is a symbol of uniformity (i.e. same team, same goal, all for one, etc..). For him to purposely wear it out and be different from his teammates is a statement even if unintentional (meaning he wants to look cool). The sneakers are for individuality, but the uniform and how its worn, should all be on one accord.

Not sure what statement he's trying to make but now thanks to you Mau its one I don't like hearing. Plus I can't recall any other UConn player purposely wearing their uniform differently. Again its a minor thing but is it a major statement?

No. It's not a major statement. This again...

Reaction Score
All part of "body language", right?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Not sure, but its like every player on a team wearing their cap with the bill forward, and then there's that one player wearing it backward.

A wise voice told me players with diamond earrings have poor work ethics, so you may be onto something.

Reaction Score
Oh FFS. Now are we going to rail on every MLB pitcher who doesn't button the top button? Unreal

Reaction Score
Oh FFS. Now are we going to rail on every MLB pitcher who doesn't button the top button? Unreal
Not sure where you're headed, but go for it:

1549313787245.png

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
[QUOTE/]Not sure what statement he's trying to make but now thanks to you Mau its one I don't like hearing. Plus I can't recall any other UConn player purposely wearing their uniform differently. Again its a minor thing but is it a major statement?[/QUOTE]

I remember Earl Kelley wearing the strap of his jock riding up his back above the short's waistline. Strangest look ever.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Jalen should sit down with Josh Howard...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom