Earth to Jalen. Come in Jalen. You out there? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Earth to Jalen. Come in Jalen. You out there?

Reaction Score
I love it! Hurley sending Jalen a message. The question is...will he get it? He is probably thinking about the super bowl.
Unfortunately, no. He's a 23 year old senior in the last half of his senior year, this is who he is. He's aloof and disinterested, turning it off and on when he feels like it. It's the last thing you want from the most talented and most veteran guy on your team. We will be better once he's gone.

Glad Hurley benched him but I don't really think there is any way of reaching him.

Reaction Score
How did he have 0 points?
You guys love bashing this kid. He was doubled and tripled at times. It's important others step up and they did. That hasn't happened often so i think we should focus more on that since that's our future.

Btw, Jalen did bring us back in the UCF game after starting 0-6 to end up with 27. The supporting cast wasn't much of a factor. Glad to see them all do much better.

Reaction Score
Jalen acts like an entitled, spoiled punk at times. I don’t care if he plays another minute of Husky basketball. I do however hope he learns lessons Hurley is trying to teach so he does not crash and burn post UCONN.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You guys love bashing this kid. He was doubled and tripled at times. It's important others step up and they did. That hasn't happened often so i think we should focus more on that since that's our future.

Btw, Jalen did bring us back in the UCF game after starting 0-6 to end up with 27. The supporting cast wasn't much of a factor. Glad to see them all do much better.
It was never about his talent, which is immense. It was always about his head and motor, which are maddeningly inconsistent. I’ve got teens so I get it, but he’s getting old for it to still be this way.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I know it was just ECU, but this was a watershed game for the turnaround of this program. We are officially in the post-Jalen mindset.
I haven't watched the game but the box score sure says it, and I wonder if AG could have made Tarin's numbers if not held out.

Reaction Score
The kid is an enigma. Seems to turn it and off. Definitely seems like he was never pushed and Hurley cares enough to push and challenge him.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

You can’t be serious wit this post.

Reaction Score

So you didn't watch the game did you?

Reaction Score

I get no joy from what Jalen did. He is a terrific basketball player. Today, he turned his back to the coach during a game. He has to know better. Hurley had to sit him.

He has brought much of the criticism on himself. He started last season running away from his scooter accident. He has a self-destructive streak that has to be brought under control. And it's darn late, halfway through your senior season, to have to figure this out.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
My question is, would he have benched him against UCF? How many games has he started out slow, then turns it on the second half. It just so happens he did this against, oh well, *yawn* ECU. And it just so happens he basically empties the bench a good part of the second half. Hurley used this a tool to observe his lacking minutes player. This team is not bad at all. Don't rule out a good AAC tournament run. I don't think we will be seeing any more antics by JA and with Hurley. Maybe they both need to grow up. Next game is Temple. Let us see if he sits then. Hurley's comments of "i would of lost by 18 and not put him back in" Something like that.
Oh really? Who would get the credit for that loss. I think those words made public might piss off a player rather being constructed.

Reaction Score
My question is, would he have benched him against UCF? How many games has he started out slow, then turns it on the second half. It just so happens he did this against, oh well, *yawn* ECU. And it just so happens he basically empties the bench a good part of the second half. Hurley used this a tool to observe his lacking minutes player. This team is not bad at all. Don't rule out a good AAC tournament run. I don't think we will be seeing any more antics by JA and with Hurley. Maybe they both need to grow up. Next game is Temple. Let us see if he sits then. Hurley's comments of "i would of lost by 18 and not put him back in" Something like that.
Oh really? Who would get the credit for that loss. I think those words made public might piss off a player rather being constructed.
I disagree with almost everything that post. The benching had zero to do with JA's slow start. Besides, Hurley is building a program. He took a step forward doing that today.

Reaction Score

This just shows you haven’t followed much of Hurley’s coaching career and how he’s handled players of all abilities, everywhere he’s been. Ask Tristan Thompson. That’s ok. Hurley did what he had to during the game and talked up Adams after it. That’s how you coach a guy and manage a situation.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

they love to bash
if JA did as some beatwriter said, he deserved to sit. I sit 10 rows behind the bench and didn't hear the exchange- and DH is loud but can't say it didn't take place
JA isn't Bazz or Kemba and doesn't have anywhere near the supporting cast to take some of the pressure off him- today he had 2 guys on him everytime he touched the ball,
But that doesn't excuse an attitude with the coach- if true its inexcusable
DH needs to learn to make adjustments much sooner

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Jalen kept a poker face on the bench. Not sure if that's good or bad. He was seemingly supporting his team, but didn't seem like he was itching to get back in.

He looked like he was in a really down/saddened state of mind even before going to the bench.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Jalen acts like an entitled, spoiled punk at times. I don’t care if he plays another minute of Husky basketball. I do however hope he learns lessons Hurley is trying to teach so he does not crash and burn post UCONN.

I get the frustration, but if he never plays another minute, we're beyond screwed.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I get the frustration, but if he never plays another minute, we're beyond screwed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

For this team to maximize it's season JA needs to play and score.

For the program to improve, he needs to sit.

I won't call him a cancer but it seems like he is on a different sheet than Hurley and what Hurley expects from his players.

To paraphrase- we sucked with you, we can suck without you.

Reaction Score

Yep, that's it. Hurley just decided to bench him for fun.

The UCF game was just another game that highlights the problem. He took the first half off and then once we were down big he went off. You simply can't have this stuff from your best talent and most veteran player.

Reaction Score

I was on the floor in 109 and I could hear part of this and more or less read Hurley's lips. Borges got it right. Hurley had some harsh words for Jalen and Jalen walked away, so Hurley let him hear about it. Jalen has done great things, but he's also had bad moments, and I think Hurley handled it correctly.

Reaction Score
I was on the floor in 109 and I could hear part of this and more or less read Hurley's lips. Borges got it right. Hurley had some harsh words for Jalen and Jalen walked away, so Hurley let him hear about it. Jalen has done great things, but he's also had bad moments, and I think Hurley handled it correctly.

All about setting the right tone for the program. Jalen doesn't have much more time to get on board.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom