Durham transferring | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Durham transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
He actually does create off the dribble at times as he has a good pump fake and very good handle for someone his size. His defense was his deficiency. He also rebounds well and would have gotten time in a smaller lineup with him at PF. It was obvious his father influenced his decision. They want VJ to be more of SG/SF than a PF/SF. It is a loss no matter what. I mean look at what we are left with now.
My observation was too many pump fakes. He was not a catch-and-shooter. He needed to be wide open and could not hit a shot with someone guarding him, let alone someone in his face.

pj

Reaction Score
You hope someone who wanted to leave because an assistant coach left the school is being recruited by the new staff? Do you think KO doesn't talk to his recruits when these things are happening? Do you think these players find out when we find out? If so, then you must also think that KO is extremely unqualified to lead a major basketball program....

I don't get this post. Every one of your rhetorical questions is a non sequitur. No, I don't believe any of those things. I'm just saying that if we take MAL's public statement seriously, then no negatives toward UConn have arisen except the departure of Glen Miller; if he gets to know Chillious and finds he's as good as Glen Miller, then UConn's standing should be as good as ever. The other thing he said is that he didn't explore other schools enough. Fine, he'll explore other schools. But we can still come out on top.

What other top 50 recruits are available? None. So of course he should be re-recruited. Unless there is something else that has put UConn off him, such as an aversion to competition.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
And not to run this thread off the rails, but:

Our RFer doesn't even have a PG profile and he goes to Morehead State. He's a finalist for the Golden Spikes award.

Our SS was a preferred walk-on at Marist. He's been player of the week in the MAAC three weeks in a row and arguably the best prospect in the conference right now.

I had Max Pentecost - who was National Player of the year and got drafted 11th overall a few years back - no one had even heard of him and he wasn't even rated as a top 50 player - IN HIS OWN STATE.

Chris Sale's pretty good, right? Guess where he fell on a top prospects list out of high school - on none of them. He went to Florida flippin' Gulf Coast.

We have a two-time all Big East Catcher from Xavier... rated #200 in his state. He'll probably be a top-5 rounder.

We had a kid from Texas - Travis Jones, who can literally play anywhere and for my money - is the best player i've ever had when you put the whole enchillada together and after hitting .334 and 11 bombs here, he was rated #99 on the PG top 100 draft prospects list.... 44 spots below a kid who I also had that hit a .167 here, is built like a pipe cleaner but runs 6.3 so auto-prospect. Kid #2 couldn't lace Travis' cleats.

D1 Baseball.com has half of its stories about Rice baseball because one of the guys lives close to the field and covers them like crazy. But their prospect lists are just built on glances. Or 'oh he throws hard' or 'oh he's got a good body' or 'oh short, compact wing' or whatever tool there is. There are guys we call 'showcase players' who go to scouting combines and throw well, hit BP into orbit, run super fast, catch on the run... but in a game they're useless. They're physical freaks with no feel for the game.

Sorry to drive this into oblivion, but I know there's even more idiots in basketball than there are in baseball - which is saying something - and when you read scouting reports on kids online, it's usually written by some other kid, aspiring to be a hoops scout who doesn't have any idea what they're talking about at all. I read about 2-3 scouting reports on Enoch and he was literally, actually none of the things in his report. And like I just said - you'd be amazed at how many lazy upper echilon college coaches just go 'oh ok, top 40 guy speaks for itself just offer him' without doing much of any leg work on them. It happens ALL THE TIME in baseball. I wouldn't be surprised to see it be that way in hoops in many cases as well.

Prospect lists are total and complete garbage. Star ratings WTH is that anyway? What makes a guy a ****3/4 different from a guy who is ****1/2? It's just stupidity. Dumb content for dumb people to gobble up. Get on the court and play.
If people aren't arguing about where kids were/are rated on various rating websites it will eliminate 40% of the content on this site. I wanted to agree with your premise completely so I went to espn to do some research. Looking back at Rivals the last few years the Top 100 has been a fairly good barometer for success. I'm thinking the top tier is easier to scout in hoops than baseball. Less players for one. The hoops AAU circuit lets the upper tier players compete against each other more often than baseball does. Evaluating pitching is a separate beast altogether. When it comes to hoops arguing over 3* star guys is a waste of time but the 4 and 5* guys tend to play closer to their ratings. So Chill and Kill need to go get us some studs.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I don't get this post. Every one of your rhetorical questions is a non sequitur. No, I don't believe any of those things. I'm just saying that if we take MAL's public statement seriously, then no negatives toward UConn have arisen except the departure of Glen Miller; if he gets to know Chillious and finds he's as good as Glen Miller, then UConn's standing should be as good as ever. The other thing he said is that he didn't explore other schools enough. Fine, he'll explore other schools. But we can still come out on top.

What other top 50 recruits are available? None. So of course he should be re-recruited. Unless there is something else that has put UConn off him, such as an aversion to competition.

So we should recruit someone who doesn't want to be at UConn because Glen Miller left? Is that what you're trying to say?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't believe that the Germans ever bombed Pearl Harbor. But since you are an old fart like me you are forgiven.

Danzz, you've been around for awhile so you better be double meta trolling here.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
PG is the absolute biggest scam in HS sports. It made me cringe when some of my teammates who were 4th outfielders/pinch runners parents would spend oodles of money on batting practice and a youtube video.

The other (related) move is for Parents to hold their kid back in 7th/8th grade to gain a year of skill development and more importantly physical development. So when they are in high school, they've got a year on everybody else. Their playing against less developed kids, and have the advantage of looking better when getting recruited.

Happens not so much in basketball, but sports like lacrosse.

Reaction Score
My observation was too many pump fakes. He was not a catch-and-shooter. He needed to be wide open and could not hit a shot with someone guarding him, let alone someone in his face.
Well I thought he adjusted to that as the season went on and his shooting percentage in the conference was among the best. I know people want to minimize his loss but it sucks. He would have been a perfect complement to Larrier. Hopefully KO can get in another shooter that has other pluses like VJ(Rebounding, offensive moves).

Reaction Score
This doesn't in any way absolve Ollie of a shred of blame. He recruited each of those players to the program, and in doing so I'd imagine he knew full well their work ethic, family interference, etc. If he was oblivious to these things, he didn't do his homework. If he knew and took a risk, he's reaping the seeds he's sown.

THIS! A BILLION TIMES...THIS!!!

The man at the top picks his assistant coaches. The man at the top picks/prioritizes the recruits. The man at the top decides what the offensive and defensive schemes will be. The man at the top runs the practices. The man at the top decides who will start and what the PT will be for each player. The man at the top makes the in-game adjustments.

If we need to "clean house" it is KO that made the mess, PERIOD! These are the coaches and players he picked. There were other 3 and 4 star kids he could have prioritized that had better attitudes and parents. You can't blame sanctions or injuries for this. The sanctions may have kept him from landing 5 star kids a couple years ago but there are A LOT of 4 star and 3 star kids (rated similarly to the ones that are leaving) that he could have gone after instead.

The fact that the AD is letting this happen definitely means he is not firing Ollie after next season. This dumpster fire is a nice built in excuse for next year. But I hope he has made no promises past next year. They HAVE to crush it on the 2018 class to the point where those kids have to be good enough to contribute on day one. The sanctions aren't affecting the 2018 class. If KO, Chill and Kill are such great recruiters, land a UK/KU/Duke type class for 2018. We can't look at this like a typical rebuild project for a brand new coach. We can't give him 4 years. I don't even want to give him another 3 years. 2 years. Next year and one more and THAT IS IT! The longer this goes on the more we risk becoming UMass.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Now I am pretty sure that ollie plans on a 3 guard offense. I do want to bring back terrence samuel. He is the guard that can give us a good 10 back up minutes a game n more importantly guard the 3.

We only have 3 guards. The three guard offense will be pretty damn tough to operate without at least 2 more guys in the fold (given the uncertainty surrounding AG).

Reaction Score
Wow giving the kid the "quitter tag"

How else would you describe it?

Between kids not wanting to compete for playing time, not wanting to work hard to improve their game or physique, or just generally giving up on the program, why mince words?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If chillious was as good as people here think one of the blue blood schools would've made him a better offer than us. He's a good assistant, not some superstar.

He also happens to be an old friend of KO.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
(VJ was talented and Mal has the change to be next year). Especially with VJ you would think it is a no brainer with all the open playing time and KO's liking to go small.

You do realize that is not really on KO though. Vance's dad (and Vance himself) probably had the vast majority of the hand in this. And we sure as don't want KO catering to any parents wishes, at the expense of what they are trying to do there.

Reaction Score
You do realize that is not really on KO though. Vance's dad (and Vance himself) probably had the vast majority of the hand in this. And we sure as don't want KO catering to any parents wishes, at the expense of what they are trying to do there.
I'm not blaming KO on VJ leaving just stating that it hurts with everybody else going at the same time. VJ is the biggest loss and unless we find a similar player(pitt guy) I'm not feeling too optimistic for next year.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
How else would you describe it?

Between kids not wanting to compete for playing time, not wanting to work hard to improve their game or physique, or just generally giving up on the program, why mince words?

Because some of this stuff is just what we 'heard'. I can honestly buy the Durham is homesick bit if you sold it to me. Too many stories from people who know him. Now, I don't know if this is actually true, but I could buy it.

Also, if he was forced off the team (which I don't believe), he didn't quit.

pj

Reaction Score
So we should recruit someone who doesn't want to be at UConn because Glen Miller left? Is that what you're trying to say?

He didn't say he doesn't want to be at UConn, he said he wants to re-open his recruiting. If he decides UConn is still the best place for him, yes, we should welcome him to campus.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
He didn't say he doesn't want to be at UConn, he said he wants to re-open his recruiting. If he decides UConn is still the best place for him, yes, we should welcome him to campus.

Has a player ever de-committed from a program only to once again commit? Serious question.

pj

Reaction Score
Because some of this stuff is just what we 'heard'. I can honestly buy the Durham is homesick bit if you sold it to me. Too many stories from people who know him. Now, I don't know if this is actually true, but I could buy it.

Also, if he was forced off the team (which I don't believe), he didn't quit.

There was less enthusiasm in his tweeted Note than in the other departures. That gives a bit of credence to the idea he was encouraged to leave. ... Homesickness is a kind of depression and tends to lead people not to work. I could see KO getting impatient with him.

Reaction Score
Has a player ever de-committed from a program only to once again commit? Serious question.

Quentin Snyder deccomitted from Louisville, then verbally committed to Illinois, and then signed an LOI with Louisville out of nowhere.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Quentin Snyder deccomitted from Louisville, then verbally committed to Illinois, and then signed an LOI with Louisville out of nowhere.

Interesting. I mean I'd deff welcome back MAL if he so chooses to return. Just not holding my breath.

pj

Reaction Score

It does happen. In football this January signing period it happened twice, Bubba Bolden re-committed to USC and Rahyme Johnson re-committed to UCLA. I recall it happening in basketball too but have forgotten names.

Reaction Score
It can definitely happen, he feels he doesn't have free reign in the team he's coming to, he opens recruitment, has people chirping in his ears, meets some coaches, sees some schools. Maybe they all aren't "MAL here are the keys to our program, you'll play 36+ minutes a night and our team lives/dies with you" and he realizes maybe UConn wasn't that bad

Reaction Score
It can definitely happen, he feels he doesn't have free reign in the team he's coming to, he opens recruitment, has people chirping in his ears, meets some coaches, sees some schools. Maybe they all aren't "MAL here are the keys to our program, you'll play 36+ minutes a night and our team lives/dies with you" and he realizes maybe UConn wasn't that bad
Not saying it can't happen but I don't recall many situations where a player decommitted and ended up signing with the same school. The examples here are the exceptions rather than the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom