Durant giving KO Props | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Durant giving KO Props

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I believe that KO spent enough time in the NBA to realize how unstable a head coaching job in that league can be.
This is a great point. You succeed at a job well enough, and your pretty much set forever, even through a series of down years (look at Rick Barnes...guy would have been fired a long time ago at the NBA level). Coaches are allowed to have a down season or two provided they are doing other things right. It allows long term stability in a way that is nearly impossible to replicate at the NBA level (Sloan and Popovich excluded).

Reaction Score
KO has an impeccable reputation. UConn should try to secure the rights to use Durant's comments in a recruiting video for sure. I have said it many times, but I will say it again, we are very fortunate to have KO running the program. I would note trade him for any coach in the country.

Reaction Score
any person who claims they successfully mentored the two best players in the NBA when they were young is probably full of it, unless that person is Kevin Ollie and Kevin is probably too modest to make such a claim even though it is true.

Reaction Score
Ollie.jpg

All right you professional Photo Shoppers. You know who you are. Let's put it together.
“Kevin Ollie, he was a game changer for us. I think he changed the whole culture in Oklahoma City. Just his mind set, professionalism, every single day. And we all watched that, and we all wanted to be like that. It rubbed off on Russell, myself, Jeff Green, James Harden. And then everybody who comes through now, it’s the standard that you’ve got to live up to as a Thunder player. And it all started with Kevin Ollie.”

Reaction Score
Wow……..nice piece impact stuff! Love me some KD!
Wish he came here instead of heading off to Texas. I really thought we were going to get him: we had just beaten UNC for Bynum, and so I thought we would beat them for Durant...and then suddenly he was off to Texas.

As good as all of our players have been in the pros, we've never had someone of Durant's level. Most teams haven't, really (Duke, for instance, had Grant Hill for a few years before injuries debilitated him). But a player of Durant's calibre has to help with recruiting, especially in the next few years. I think Drummond could do that, but Durant is 1B in the NBA, and, if he stays healthy, will go down as one of the best 12-15 players ever. That's saying something.

Reaction Score
KO turned down on offer to be an NBA assistant coach to be the heir apparent
Here. I am not worried about him leaving. But if he does it will be due to his success at Uconn. So we win either way.

That said, if Scot Brooks gets canned in OKC.....I know Sam Presti is 10 toes in on the KO Fan Club. Luckily, Brooks should be safe for years to come.

Reaction Score
It will be a long while before he goes to the NBA IF he ever does…..he is serious about his "dream job" unlike others…..no worries here! Money doesn't mean that much to the man but making kids better men does.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
As good as all of our players have been in the pros, we've never had someone of Durant's level.

10 time all star, 2 time champion, NBA leader in 3 pointers ? He never dominated like Durant but he wasn't bad. Walter Ray Allen.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
It will be a long while before he goes to the NBA IF he ever does…..he is serious about his "dream job" unlike others…..no worries here! Money doesn't mean that much to the man but making kids better men does.

If you believe that KO is really what he appears to be, then Mau's post says it very well. This is a much better spot for KO to be the coach he wants to be, if I guess correctly, than having to deal with the egos in the NBA. He could do well there too, if in the right situation. Although he is probably not as perfect as he sometimes seems to be, he has an integrity about what is important to him and he has made it as clear as he could that the UConn Men's Basketball head coach job is where he really wants to be. I would be shocked if he took a job for more pay and prestige now or in the next several years at least. Things would have to go wrong here in a big way. Perhaps there might be the perfect situation later on, but I would not bet on it.

Reaction Score
10 time all star, 2 time champion, NBA leader in 3 pointers ? He never dominated like Durant but he wasn't bad. Walter Ray Allen.

Yeah, the flip side is that almost no one has had someone like Durant, so it's not as if it's a major deficiency for the UConn brand.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the flip side is that almost no one has had someone like Durant, so it's not as if it's a major deficiency for the UConn brand.

Right. My point is that we've never had a consensus top 2-3 player like Durant. Some teams have, and it hasn't mattered much (Michigan State and Magic), but some teams have and it really has been a big deal for them (UNC and Jordan). But yeah, it's not a major deficiency since there are few players historically as good as Durant.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Arguably the Best player in the game, endorses Rookie Head Coach Ollie, as a leader, mentor & NBA program changer. Watch out recruits. Play clip, recycle, & repeat the next 20 years. Incredible testimonial from an interview that had nothing to do with UConn initially. Absolutely Huge tool for Ollie, going forward.

Reaction Score
Arguably the Best player in the game, endorses Rookie Head Coach Ollie, as a leader, mentor & NBA program changer. Watch out recruits. Play clip, recycle, & repeat the next 20 years. Incredible testimonial from an interview that had nothing to do with UConn initially. Absolutely Huge tool for Ollie, going forward.
Yeah. Durant brought him up almost out of the blue. Simmons was pushing him on veteran leadership, and did say that they didn't have anyone those first few years, which is what brough up Ollie. But it shows how much they all respected and love KO that he not only brought him up (and as much as I might trash Fisher, he had a much better overall career than KO), but he spoke at length about his impact. It's a great moment. You don't see that happening for many other college coaches out there.

Reaction Score
NBA teams are obviously going to offer him a lot of money. I think he's being sincere, though, when he says this is his dream job. He wins here, he'll get a lot of money. Maybe not top NBA level money, but a lot of money nonetheless.
I'm curious, based on where Kevin Ollie grew up, how much money is enough money. He's had a pretty productive NBA career though it saw him spending a lot of time away from his family. I see and hear of guys who are worth millions who would do anything, even kill to earn a couple of more million and I've always wondered why? Is it about ego or what, since most people wouldn't know what to do with the kind of money Geno and JC make (made). Unless it's all about the challenges I'd think UConn was the perfect spot for Kevin and I hope he feels the same way. If he doesn't, so be it and I'd still respect him big time for being such a cool and classy guy.

Reaction Score
Inyatkin said:
This is like that time Kobe Bryant said his greatest influence was Syracuse coach-in-waiting Mike Hopkins. What, that didn't happen?

Lol!

Reaction Score
After championships and alums in the NBA, this is right up there as an outstanding recruiting advantage.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
NBA teams are obviously going to offer him a lot of money. I think he's being sincere, though, when he says this is his dream job. He wins here, he'll get a lot of money. Maybe not top NBA level money, but a lot of money nonetheless.

Plus he's earned about $20 million or so in the NBA. And he doesn't appear to be dumb with money. I think it's safe to say putting food on the table is not his highest priority.

Reaction Score
Plus he's earned about $20 million or so in the NBA. And he doesn't appear to be dumb with money. I think it's safe to say putting food on the table is not his highest priority.
Right. But money is more a sign of respect, in many ways. KO may not need the money, but if he wins consistently, but is getting paid less than some weaker coaches around him, that may start to make him question his loyalty to the alma mater, right?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Y'all got your pantys in a bunch over a whimsical statement by Fishy (I commented as well).

Ollie will leave for the NBA the day UConn gets an invite to Eastern Conference as a replacement for the Knicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom