Down goes Stanford! (Merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Down goes Stanford! (Merged thread)

Will UConn move ahead of Stanford in Tomorrow's AP Poll?

• Yes

Votes: 36 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 42 53.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
If anything, the pollsters will be thinking about another 1v2 matchup promotion so they can repeat it ad nauseam (South Carolina and UConn meet for their annual in-season matchup on Feb. 5th). I’d be surprised if Tennessee weren’t back in the rankings before their UConn matchup.

Reaction Score
Stanford never led the game, and was only tied once at 19-19 if I read the play-by-play right. Baylor, Oregon, and NC State also lost, though none of those will affect Connecticut.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Every pollster in the country...knows that UConn is fielding a depleted team. They also know that more than likely UConn will get its full compliment of players by the end of the season. I believe as long as UConn keeps winning even if it is only 15 over an unranked team the committee will not penalize them. On the other hand Stanford now has two loses...one was to the number one ranked team in the country so there was no movement there but, today they lost to an unranked team and their play was horrendous. I Think UConn moves to number 3 and Stanford goes to number 4.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Thankfully was unable to watch this stinker, but I felt like a trap game was coming after the UCLA win. U$C is gritty, and our outside shooting and ball movement have both really fallen off lately. The team feels a little low energy and not playing with much urgency. We could use more guard strength at the 1 and 2, but we had more than enough talent to win this game. They were just much, much hungrier.

Only other thing I'll note is the free throw disparity - did we really commit shooting fouls 2.5 times as often as U$C did?

Hopefully this is a wakeup call, because hosting Utah and Colorado next weekend ain't gonna be a picnic...

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thankfully was unable to watch this stinker, but I felt like a trap game was coming after the UCLA win. U$C is gritty, and our outside shooting and ball movement have both really fallen off lately. The team feels a little low energy and not playing with much urgency. We could use more guard strength at the 1 and 2, but we had more than enough talent to win this game. They were just much, much hungrier.

Only other thing I'll note is the free throw disparity - did we really commit shooting fouls 2.5 times as often as U$C did?

Hopefully this is a wakeup call, because hosting Utah and Colorado next weekend ain't gonna be a picnic...
I didn’t see the game but a lot of time players foul when they don’t move their feet on defense. If the team is tired, as many are this time of year, they may not have had the energy to play good defense

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Uconn played bad.
23 turnovers
G-Town scored the last 9 points of the game.
Only 22 points in the paint vs that team.
I dont think UConn deserves to go ahead of Stanford.
If the AP voters do make UConn #3 they obviously dont watch enough games.

Stanford shot bad vs an okay team, UConn played bad vs a 1-7 BE team.

Oh yeah Fight On!!
Excited Fired Up GIF by USC Trojans

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Uconn played bad.
23 turnovers

Oh yeah Fight On!!
UConn was up by 24 points when Nika and Aaliyah left the game with 2:12 left. Ines and Amari came in, gave up a jumper the and Ines turned over the ball. Amari gave up a layup and missed a jumper. The Georgetown kids hit their shots and, boom, the lead is cut to 15

The voters don’t watch all the games and, believe it or not, most would consider a 15 point win a pretty wide margin.

Really, people are getting a little unglued

Reaction Score
If the pollsters were watching our game they will move us down not up
I've been critical of this game too, and annoyed some people in doing so. But that's not the way it works. UConn moves up. The St Johns game makes it easier but even without that it happens. It was a terrible game by UConn standards given the capabilities of the players who were on the floor. But they won convincingly and Stanford lost. No question.

EDIT: I just looked at the poll results here. Pretty close. I think this forum moves down a notch in the rankings!

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why anyone thinks Stanford will only drop to 3. They lost to an unranked team. Period. Pollsters won't look at USC's record, or their SOS, or anything like that. Nor will they pay much attention to the stinker UCONN played today. My prediction - SC, OSU, UCONN, LSU, Stanford... or maybe Stanford drops one more.

UCONN ended up 9th in the polls after losing to ND and Maryland...

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Uconn played bad.
23 turnovers

Oh yeah Fight On!!
If I were a Stanford fan...I would be worried about what Stanford is going to do about the point guard spot...come tournament time it is all about the guards....

Reaction Score
not sure why this is "a bad loss" Usc has lost to all really solid teams: Texas, Oregon, Ucla. guess Goetlieb shouldn't be fired yet? ;)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Uconn played bad.
23 turnovers

Oh yeah Fight On!!
But UConn won.

Reaction Score
I didn't see the Stanford game but the point guard had the best numbers on the team today. Brink and Jones tried to be the solution and both failed miserably. At least offensively.

Reaction Score
Uconn played bad.
23 turnovers

Oh yeah Fight On!!
One of my many pet peeves, when coaching one of my mantras is when you step between the lines, FORGET RECORDS.
A team is as good or bad as they play that day, not remotely dictated by the way they played before that.
Gtown came to play, took the game as an opportunity, not a mail it in trip. They played hard, were active on defense, ball hawked all game, played very physical. They shot pretty well from 3. They probably had one of their better in conference games, although that is pure speculation.
The entire Uconn team was off, probably played their worst game of the year. As Husky Nan has pointed out, this is the time of year these things frequently happen, the “dog days” of basketball, to steal a baseball phrase.
You win and move on. And I for one, think concerning oneself with rankings is just for bar talk. Like every year, Uconn will get their opportunity to define how good they are the only place it counts, on the court. The rising and falling emotionally, game to game, quarter to quarter, play to play, of many fans is rather silly IMO.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree. A 15 point win over a 8-9 team that is ranked 125 by the NCAA will seriously bode well for UCONN's ranking. :rolleyes:;)
Georgetown at 8-9 and ranked 125, that's much better than what LSU has been working with all season long and look how it turned out for LSU. :rolleyes:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Interesting reading some of the comments. I did watch the game as I’m fortunate to get Pac-12 network.

I don’t think Southern Cals defense gets talked about enough. They have been a tough defense team all season. They packed the paint and forced Jones and the PG to shoot from the outside and chased Jump and ran her off the 3pt line. It was a smart defensive strategy.

I said on here during the UCLA game that Southern Cals issue is offense. They don’t score enough points. They just have to score more than the opponent. Last night they did. And over the #2 team.

Also it was getting to Stanford as some of the layups that brink or even Jones normally make around the basket they missed. It was just enough misses by the Cardinal and makes by Southern Cal that got them the win.

Gottlieb gets slack on here but with her getting Juju Watkins next season she will move the Trojans in the right direction.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Georgetown at 8-9 and ranked 125, that's much better than what LSU has been working with all season long and look how it turned out for LSU. :rolleyes:
Look at LSU's MOV against such teams. Not 15 points.

Reaction Score
I didn't see the Stanford game but the point guard had the best numbers on the team today. Brink and Jones tried to be the solution and both failed miserably. At least offensively.
The point guard wasn’t even in at the end of the game because she’s a bit of a liability on both ends of the court. She had a big turnover and the defense just sags off of her on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
If I were a Stanford fan...I would be worried about what Stanford is going to do about the point guard spot...come tournament time it is all about the guards....
Right on..that seems to be their challenge. I've watched a little bit of them and the ball gets stuck and bad shots are put up for periods of time.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
….but, but she said that their schedule was already set in stone in advance of her hiring. :rolleyes:
That may be true, but........this season’s weak/soft preseason schedule for LSU bears a strong resemblance to the preseason schedules Kim had at Baylor. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Weak preseason schedules never hurt Baylor, they won’t hurt LSU.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom