Doty...paging Caroline Doty | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Doty...paging Caroline Doty

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Ice I could not agree more. The problem arises because we are individuals with different perceptions. What one individual considers an on point comment others might take as a personal attack. Even if the comment is factually true. Sometimes it's simply a matter of poor word choice. What if "so and so sucks" had been "so and so" has scored 2 points in the team's 3 losses?

But then there are those that consider any comment that doesn't speak of a player in positive, glowing terms as a personal attack on the player. They get under my skin probably as much as I get under theirs.

I doubt it.

Reaction Score
I still find it more interesting to debate the merits of the performance than what should be posted. Kudos to Ice as usual for finding excellent arguments to bolster the positive analysis. I sometimes lean toward the critical, but am uncomfortable with "so-and-so sucks". People took hits from the "positive only" crowd a couple of weeks ago, though, for daring to suggest that Caroline might not belong in the starting lineup at this point, or even saying that the jury was out on it.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I still find it more interesting to debate the merits of the performance than what should be posted. Kudos to Ice as usual for finding excellent arguments to bolster the positive analysis. I sometimes lean toward the critical, but am uncomfortable with "so-and-so sucks". People took hits from the "positive only" crowd a couple of weeks ago, though, for daring to suggest that Caroline might not belong in the starting lineup at this point, or even saying that the jury was out on it.

"Postive only" crowd......lol.

No, I don't think the posters calling for Doty not to start were getting hit as much as you are saying. And the "negative only" crowd (only fair) was saying that Jefferson should be starting for her, not Tuck.

I, for one, was just saying that Geno was starting Doty for a reason. And now he has changed his mind based an probably a few things. Never said Doty should always start.

It doesn't make anyone right or wrong about it.

Now, this tread? I don't see ANYTHING in this tread that forwards basketball discussion. It just opens the door for "she sucks" comments. We all know Doty has been struggling. To point that out so many times just in different ways is piling on. And Doty doesn't deserve this treatment.

Reaction Score
Age and injury takes a terrible toll on athletes and even non-athletes. I am guessing that not too many of the 60+ crowd on this board can even run up a flight of steps or for that matter want to. In Caroline's case, I know she wants to be her oldself but her knees have aged at a much faster pace than a calendar can show. We all reminisce and fondly remember our youthful exuberance. We may be looking back several decades. For Caroline, it is not even one decade. Frankly, the injuries have devastated her career and those plans of 6 years ago are gone forever. I wish we were all as mature as she has been. She still gives everything when she is on the floor(literally and figuratively), she does not pout about and complain, and she constantly encourages her teammates. Her career has about 5 weeks left. We all have opinions on what is best for the team but might it be possible, to let her feel at least appreciated for her sacrifice. She has been emotionally tormented enough by injury. This is indeed PILING ON.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I will be at the BET Tournament on Monday...what I want to know is where does the positive only crowd meet...last time I was at the halftime brouhaha for only a short visit, and I was clumped in with Husky Bill and his ilk, a clear breach of something.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I will be at the BET Tournament on Monday...what I want to know is where does the positive only crowd meet...last time I was at the halftime brouhaha for only a short visit, and I was clumped in with Husky Bill and his ilk, a clear breach of something.

Well, if you see a bunch of fans in black, don't go there.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Then one should take more time in word choice and if one can not think of a way to state it well or respectfully one is better off not speaking. Respect the person/player critique the performance.

From Luther's Large Catechism:
No one shall say anything evil of a neighbor, whether true or false, unless it is done with proper authority or for that person’s improvement. Rather, we should use our tongue to speak only the best about all people, to cover the sins and infirmities of our neighbors, to justify their actions, and to cloak and veil them with our own honor." LC 1.285

Yes, it even applies to being a basketball fan.

The problem is that in today's vernacular "sucks" is no longer a big deal. Don't misunderstand. I don't think it's appropriate but for many of a different generation sucks is a throwaway just like bomb. It's easier to say that something sucks instead of having to put a half dozen words together to describe something.

I liken it the BY ban on profanity (a good thing IMO). You can't say duck* here but if you can lip read you can see Geno and "the girls" saying it all the time.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
The team did not lose, you blamed it all on the Refs. So why dont you put on a whistle and run up and down the court and call the game.

I would gladly do it. I didn't blame it all one the refs either, we had 35 turnovers.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
I hate to see all the heat Doty is getting. It is obvious what a different player she is now from her freshman year because of all the injuries. Her injuries have stopped her from being the great player she could be but in my eyes she is a hero. She has had ACL surgery 3 times and had to go through the hard rehab to get back 3 times. I would be shocked if she isn't playing through some pain right now. The only reason for her to go through all this is because she loves the game of basketball and UCONN. It has to be so hard for her to not be able to practice as much as she wants and to play the way she could before the injuries. I personally have a lot of respect for her and all the other players that have to fight through multiple injuries just to play the game they love.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
I think it's time for a reality check...This team has had 3...count 'em...losses ALL season. I think that means that NO ONE sucks. I thought that there were a lot of bad calls during the game. If our gals "walked" as many times as they were called, they could have been in a dance competition instead of a basketball game.

To all of the nay-sayers, downers, & hate spewers, I would say this...wait until you're 50 years old & try to make your body do what it did at 20. Then you may get a clear idea of what Caroline is battling every time she takes the floor. Bring that struggle to a hostile environment with a bazillion people watching, & see how YOU do.

The Big East tournament is coming up followed by the NCAA's. I think we should support this team...every member of it, & cheer their accomplishments.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I hate to see all the heat Doty is getting. It is obvious what a different player she is now from her freshman year because of all the injuries. Her injuries have stopped her from being the great player she could be but in my eyes she is a hero. She has had ACL surgery 3 times and had to go through the hard rehab to get back 3 times. I would be shocked if she isn't playing through some pain right now. The only reason for her to go through all this is because she loves the game of basketball and UCONN. It has to be so hard for her to not be able to practice as much as she wants and to play the way she could before the injuries. I personally have a lot of respect for her and all the other players that have to fight through multiple injuries just to play the game they love.

We finally agree....lol.

Seriously, thanks for the thoughtful post.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
" I would say this...wait until you're 50 years old & try to make your body do what it did at 20"

Joobie that's a hoot. I can't even remember what my body could do at 50 let alone 20. You do realize that with only a couple of exceptions the Boneyard is inhabited by grey haired old men that can't even see 50 in the rear view mirror.

Reaction Score
Of course one can celebrate things without having to descend to childish and juvenile tantrums and language when things are at the opposite extreme. The players did not suck the OT stats are much stronger than one would expect from a team the "sucked" at the end of the game. The outcome sucked. The foul shooting sucked. Most of those FTs were taken by players under that type of pressure for the first time in a college game in a hostile environment. Could they have done better, absolutely, can they do better, most likely, must they do better for UCONN to win, I expect so.

My bad, I thought we were talking about players and a program that represent the highest level in the NCAA. So this is actually about giving them hugs!?!?!?! This is about giving them a hug, huh?

The OT stats that counted were the leads they let get away. The turnovers, the foul shots missed, the lack of stops on defense. I don't want to hear about young players. Napier hit keys FTs as a freshman, Giffey too as well as Olander. Kentucky won a national championship with young players.

UConn basketball? Exemplary. Caliber of players. Outstanding young ladys. Play on Monday . . . . choke job at three different points. It happens in sports. Accept it and do something about it this week. Don't measure yourself by the fact you beat Hartford 95-36 or some other weakling team by a ridiculous score. . . you want to be considered elite, beat the elite. Don't "turtle up" with 5 or 6 point leads.

Reaction Score

No problem. She is all of what you say she is and probably more. And a very pretty girl too. Unfortunately, she was a liability on Monday night. But my guess is she will have a lot of success in her life after basketball. So no need to be over protective.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
No problem. She is all of what you say she is and probably more. And a very pretty girl too. Unfortunately, she was a liability on Monday night. But my guess is she will have a lot of success in her life after basketball. So no need to be over protective.
And no need for posters to pile on.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My bad, I thought we were talking about players and a program that represent the highest level in the NCAA. So this is actually about giving them hugs!?!?!?! This is about giving them a hug, huh?

Nope not about giving them hugs. I would give the same advice to men's hoops or football. Accountability is important. But it is the coaches job, not yours, not mine. Learn to respect yourself and others.

The OT stats that counted were the leads they let get away. The turnovers, the foul shots missed, the lack of stops on defense. I don't want to hear about young players. Napier hit keys FTs as a freshman, Giffey too as well as Olander. Kentucky won a national championship with young players.

Yep, they lost those leads. It isn't like other first flight teams haven't had the same thing happen. It's part of competition. Suck it up figure out how to change the outcome and get to work. The pissing, moaning and groaning of fans means nothing.

UConn basketball? Exemplary. Caliber of players. Outstanding young ladys. Play on Monday . . . . choke job at three different points. It happens in sports. Accept it and do something about it this week. Don't measure yourself by the fact you beat Hartford 95-36 or some other weakling team by a ridiculous score. . . you want to be considered elite, beat the elite. Don't "turtle up" with 5 or 6 point leads.

The last thing they did was choke. They continued to compete. They competed when Bria wenty out, they competed when Stef went out. They pushed out to a lead, yes they didn't hold it. That doesn't mean they choked, why can I say that because they went out there and did it again in the first overtime, then did it again in the second overtime. There is a huge difference between choking and not closing the deal. Choking is running away and failing to compete. They don't want a hug, they don't need a hug. What they want is a chance to go out and compete again. Compete, fail, learn compete again, triumph that is where character is revealed. Not in whining and bitching about how someone else failed. But then you've probably never competed in your life so how would you know anything about choking. Or triumphing.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

But she stepped in because she was asked to. That is all you need to know.

Reaction Score
No they don't "suck" (be nice, I mean it only in a basketball way, no double entendres). But their play to fail to hold on to a lead at the end of regulation, failing to hold onto a lead in the first OT, failing again to hold on to a lead in the second OT and then the total collapse in the 3rd OT . . . . really did suck. It was absolutely abysmal - a total choke job.

Sorry, this is big time basketball. The best of the best. Can't have it both ways . . . the parades, the accolades, the celebrity and then fall apart like this and expect not to be severely criticized. This isn't youth basketball where everybody played awesome.

To a certain extent, I agree that players are not above criticism. The game is hoops and it is no longer played dressed in hoop skirts. The game is played seriously, and taken that way.

I don't post in a critical fashion, not because of courtesy or politeness. Rather, my intent is based on the assumption some of what gets posted here may get back to the players. I hasten to add, this is merely an assumption.

But, assuming some players see some BY posts, what they see could, in theory, either help or hinder future performance. At present, I am deeply interested in a 9 GAME WIN STREAK. That is what I have uppermost in mind for this team.

In my opinion, bad mouthing players cannot aid what I want to happen. Offering encouragement might help. I do not think there is any such thing as constructive criticism, especially from anon fans. All criticism from sources like that is destructive.

If the goal is a NC, it might help if we post with the intent to help accomplish that objective.

If the objective is to vent one's personal angst or hurt feelings, well that's ok too. It may be a little self-centered, I suppose, but it's certainly ok. It's sports.

Just sayin'

Reaction Score
To a certain extent, I agree that players are not above criticism. The game is hoops and it is no longer played dressed in hoop skirts. The game is played seriously, and taken that way.

I don't post in a critical fashion, not because of courtesy or politeness. Rather, my intent is based on the assumption some of what gets posted here may get back to the players. I hasten to add, this is merely an assumption.

But, assuming some players see some BY posts, what they see could, in theory, either help or hinder future performance. At present, I am deeply interested in a 9 GAME WIN STREAK. That is what I have uppermost in mind for this team.

In my opinion, bad mouthing players cannot aid what I want to happen. Offering encouragement might help. I do not think there is any such thing as constructive criticism, especially from anon fans. All criticism from sources like that is destructive.

If the goal is a NC, it might help if we post with the intent to help accomplish that objective.

If the objective is to vent one's personal angst or hurt feelings, well that's ok too. It may be a little self-centered, I suppose, but it's certainly ok. It's sports.

Just sayin'

Well then let it start by winning the Big East Tournament and beating Notre Dame. This last game will be meaningless if they can "shut up" the Irish.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Caroline was one of the top rated players coming out of high school. Her recruitment came down to Uconn and The Orange People. Fortunately, she chose Uconn.

Her career has been very sad, overall, but she has given us fans immense enjoyment during many key performances and for her strength of character. If some of you want to pile on and put her down, go for it. I, for one, will miss her a lot.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I believe Stray Cat is going to sue you for plagerism.
Just keeping things churning, DD, or wait a bit and see if the cream rises to the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom