Doty...paging Caroline Doty | The Boneyard

Doty...paging Caroline Doty

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
There is no one who adores Caroline more than I and I had anticipated and prayed for a wonderful, recovery year from her.

But it was apparent quite a while ago that her body will simply not allow it; the renaissance of her play was not going to happen and Geno stubbornly clung to her in the starting lineup and general approach to guard play for much too long to the detriment of the team.

She is a gallant warrior and deserved better.

Reaction Score
It would be OK that she didn't score if she were at least able to distribute and be an effective ballhandler. Opposing teams smell blood in the water when she's handling the ball.

She's not even providing what Maria Conlon did for those teams in 2003 and 2004.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Moriah isnt ready to run those difficult offensive sets

Reaction Score
And so it begins again...
I've always been a big Caroline Doty fan but I actually thought that Carolyn made a few really poor mental mistakes and was disappointed with her performance, at least in the latter part of the game. I still want to know what the Kelly Faris people think about her blowing foul shots that would have locked up the game, then with the lead in overtime made one of the worst "bull in the china shop" drives that I've ever seen resulting in a charge call that gave Notre Dame two foul shots that tied the score and prevented UConn from probably winning the game. In the last overtime she played as if she was a freshman rather than a player at the end of her senior year and UConn's offense was so discombobulated, it was embarrassing. I acknowledge that she's always played with high energy and she's made herself a decent offensive player but I don't think she's anything close to a serious All-American candidate. She was totally neutralized in the Baylor game being outhustled pretty badly and those are the games where you want and expect your best players to step up. I felt comfortable that UConn had managed to pull out the game in the first 3 minutes of both the first and second overtime despite losing two of their starters to a couple of pretty awful calls.

Reaction Score
There is no one who adores Caroline more than I and I had anticipated and prayed for a wonderful, recovery year from her.

But it was apparent quite a while ago that her body will simply not allow it; the renaissance of her play was not going to happen and Geno stubbornly clung to her in the starting lineup and general approach to guard play for much too long to the detriment of the team.

She is a gallant warrior and deserved better.

The eyes do not deceive. With her out there the offense spins it's wheels unproductively - at least against good teams.

Reaction Score
I've always been a big Caroline Doty fan but I actually thought that Carolyn made a few really poor mental mistakes and was disappointed with her performance, at least in the latter part of the game. I still want to know what the Kelly Faris people think about her blowing foul shots that would have locked up the game, then with the lead in overtime made one of the worst "bull in the china shop" drives that I've ever seen resulting in a charge call that gave Notre Dame two foul shots that tied the score and prevented UConn from probably winning the game. In the last overtime
she played as if she was a freshman rather than a player at the end of her senior year and UConn's offense was so discombobulated, it was embarrassing. I acknowledge that she's always played with high energy and she's made herself a decent offensive player but I don't think she's anything close to a serious All-American candidate. She was totally neutralized in the Baylor game being outhustled pretty badly and those are the games where you want and expect your best players to step up. I felt comfortable that UConn had managed to pull out the game in the first 3 minutes of both the first and second overtime despite losing two
of their starters to a couple of pretty awful calls.

All too true. Point for point.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
It would be OK that she didn't score if she were at least able to distribute and be an effective ballhandler. Opposing teams smell blood in the water when she's handling the ball.

She's not even providing what Maria Conlon did for those teams in 2003 and 2004.
I'm pretty sure Maria didn't tear the same ACL 3 times either

Reaction Score
Great..can't blame Hartley for the loss (other than her absence at the end) so let's blame Caroline..

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
But for Bria fouling out, Doty's minutes would have been very limited tonight. But without Bria, another guard needed to be on the floor. Moriah came in the game in the second half and immediately turned the ball over by almost handing it to Diggins. She's just not ready to play in a game like this. ND decided to trap Doty at every turn and it worked. Although Doty is limited physically, she should be experienced enough to avoid the traps. She wasn't.

Guard play has been a problem all season and ND exposed that weakness tonight. Dolson is typically a pretty good release valve at the top of the key but she was spraying the ball all over the court tonight too.

Reaction Score
Seriously, what a loser. If you cannot see what she brings to the group then there is no need to speak.

Why don't you tell us, instead of calling another poster a loser? You're free to have an opinion, but not to express it like a 5th grader.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
But for Bria fouling out, Doty's minutes would have been very limited tonight. But without Bria, another guard needed to be on the floor. Moriah came in the game in the second half and immediately turned the ball over by almost handing it to Diggins. She's just not ready to play in a game like this.
(emphasis mine)

And the reason for that is the nature of coaching, tradition, and player development in the face of clear evidence that a different approach was required

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
No, she's not ready to play and it has nothing to do with nature of coaching or any of the other nonsense you mention. Some players take longer to develop physically and mentally, particularly at the point guard spot, and coaches are not going to embarrass a young player by putting her in situations that she's not ready for. That can ruin a young kid's confidence; looks what has happened to Stewart.

Reaction Score
Why don't you tell us, instead of calling another poster a loser? You're free to have an opinion, but not to express it like a 5th grader.

There are plenty of fifth graders on this board. This was a TEAM loss.

Reaction Score
Yet another scoreless in a game against an elite team. I'm just saying...
Geno would have been better off playing Jefferson. Doty's skills seem to have been cut away by the surgeon's knife.

Reaction Score
Well, since we are paging Caroline Doty, the first thing I want to say is thank you Caroline and best wishes in your upcoming games. The play for keeps season is about to start and I am sure your contribution will be vital.

There are a number of posts in this thread that are harsh in tone and critical in content. You're a senior, a graduate student, so I know negative comments don't hurt you that much. Basketball is, after all, a game. I do hope your repaired knee will be pain free and will heal further once your playing career stops. My sincere hope is that you'll participate in a net cutting ceremony in about a month.

Play well and enjoy!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
her and stewart lost us the game. kelly as usual was amazing, Btw [player trashing removed]. hate if you want, but the truth is neither of them are any good (well stewart could improve but she sucks vs good teams)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom