Doty...paging Caroline Doty | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Doty...paging Caroline Doty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Jefferson was in for 2 plays. She fouled on defense and lost the ball on offense. I agree about Caroline but Moriah wasn't up to playing at this level in this game. She will have to be able to give UConn some good minutes against ND and Baylor in the future in order to give Kelly and Bria a rest.
And because of the way Geno handled Moriah she did better later. Not perfect but better.

Reaction Score
Doty sucks, plain and simple, you're blind if you can't see it

A bit harsh for sure. However, if you want to treat Doty as simply a "girl", then she is definitely nice to look at out on the court. If you want to treat her as a basketball player . . . . then she was awful the other night. She did not look like she belonged on the court with two of the top programs squaring off with the game on the line. She needs to play a lot better otherwise the criticism has validity.

Can't have it both ways. Either she's "eye candy" in which case, who cares if she can play, or she's an integral part of one of the best teams in the nation and "fair game" when she doesn't play like she belongs out there on the court.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How many TOs did CD have?
Credited with 2, but I recall 3 right off the top of my head she was responsible for. Probably gave the one where she dribbled herself into a trap on the sidelines and threw the bad pass towards Stewart that Stewart luckily managed to salvage into a jump ball to Stewart.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Credited with 2, but I recall 3 right off the top of my head she was responsible for. Probably gave the one where she dribbled herself into a trap on the sidelines and threw the bad pass towards Stewart that Stewart luckily managed to salvage into a jump ball to Stewart.
It was two plus a timeout in 21 minutes. According to announcers at one point she was not to play the second half.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Yes, and that gives us a right to say she sucks.

Really???
C'mon DD. One troll drives by and drops some crap and you use it to paint the entire board.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

I think Auriemma had to waste a time out for one of the traps. That would account for one no turnover but the lost time out really hurt.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
C'mon DD. One troll drives by and drops some crap and you use it to paint the entire board.
Come on, vtc, you know that is not what I was doing.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Come on, vtc, you know that is not what I was doing.
Change the pronoun from us (the board members) to you (the troll) and it would be clearer.
I'll cut a little slack 'cause you're under the weather. I'm just getting over it and now my wife has it. I never knew a human being could produce so much snot.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Change the pronoun from us (the board members) to you (the troll) and it would be clearer.
I'll cut a little slack 'cause you're under the weather. I'm just getting over it and now my wife has it. I never knew a human being could produce so much snot.

There were plenty of comments I would consider harsh enough to be in the ballpark with saying she "sucks". So, no, I did mean more of a general comment about the posts after the game. But I certainly didn't mean to lump everyone together.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I get a kick out of the notion that teenage student athletes can be critiqued and skewered, but a poster here might be thin skinned about anonymous Boneyarder(s) being called idiots.

You can call me an idiot until the cows come home. BTW, how do they know when to come home?

Reaction Score
The loss to ND really wounded me. I am sure EVERY player on the team feels worse than I do. Then I go to the BY and get hurt a lot worse. Every poster has a right to express their opinion, but do they have the right to do so when player's will be hurt. The mods have said before that friends, relatives, and parents often go to the BY. Let me say this : Breanna Stewart & Bria Hartley DO NOT SUCK !
From what I have seen and heard they are EXCEPTIONAL bball players and fine young ladies too.We win as a team and we lose as a team. Just think... we had them beat in regulation, and the 1st & 2nd ot, and that was with Bria and Stef on the bench.
I feel very fortunate to root for such a classy and talented bunch, who are obviously hurting now.
There is no one to blame. We lost a game, but will get them next time.
See everyone at Harbor Yard !

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I get a kick out of the notion that teenage student athletes can be critiqued and skewered, but a poster here might be thin skinned about anonymous Boneyarder(s) being called idiots.

You can call me an idiot until the cows come home. BTW, how do they know when to come home?

Because their udders are full. If they don't get milked they get cranky.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

You're an idiot.

th

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Dear lord why hasn't this thread been locked?

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Isn't name calling different than criticism of a player's performance? Name calling may even be against BY rules. Not so for criticism of a player's performance.

If you mean Caroline Doty, she is an adult woman not a teenager. She will be 24 years old this summer. Discounting the incoming freshman there are only 2 teenagers on the team . They are both 19. The average age of the team sans freshman is just under 21.

Obviously I have difficulty understanding why players should be above criticism or why their performance shouldn't be critiqued. If a quarterback tosses up a half dozen interceptions in the superbowl or a baseball team's leading hitter goes 2-30 in the playoffs shouldn't their performance be open to criticism? Is it because the "girls" are amateurs? Or is it simply because they are girls? They really aren't either one you know. They are being paid to perform. The amateur ship sailed long ago (at least at this level) although their are many who wish it wasn't so. The "girls" ship has also sailed for most of them. They are adults legally (in most senses of the word) and physically.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Obviously I have difficulty understanding why players should be above criticism or why their performance shouldn't be critiqued. If a quarterback tosses up a half dozen interceptions in the superbowl or a baseball team's leading hitter goes 2-30 in the playoffs shouldn't their performance be open to criticism? Is it because the "girls" are amateurs? Or is it simply because they are girls? They really aren't either one you know. They are being paid to perform. The amateur ship sailed long ago (at least at this level) although their are many who wish it wasn't so. The "girls" ship has also sailed for most of them. They are adults legally (in most senses of the word) and physically.

That is exactly the point. Critique of performance does not necessitate the accusative and attacking language that has been used in many posts.

It is always best to stick to facts and specifics than the kind of "Doty has no place being on the court." or "Geno has to do this or do that." As Ozzie said the other type of comments reveal more about the poster than any understanding about performance or basketball.

Reaction Score
Really? Because Steph alone had 11 turnovers. This loss is not on any ONE player. The team failed as a COLLECTIVE unit. Go crawl back into your hole. I'm questioning if you are even a UConn fan. So, basically every player on the team sucks? I'd love to see you get out there and do better

The team did not lose, you blamed it all on the Refs. So why dont you put on a whistle and run up and down the court and call the game.

Reaction Score
No they don't "suck" (be nice, I mean it only in a basketball way, no double entendres). But their play to fail to hold on to a lead at the end of regulation, failing to hold onto a lead in the first OT, failing again to hold on to a lead in the second OT and then the total collapse in the 3rd OT . . . . really did suck. It was absolutely abysmal - a total choke job.

Sorry, this is big time basketball. The best of the best. Can't have it both ways . . . the parades, the accolades, the celebrity and then fall apart like this and expect not to be severely criticized. This isn't youth basketball where everybody played awesome.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
That is exactly the point. Critique of performance does not necessitate the accusative and attacking language that has been used in many posts.

It is always best to stick to facts and specifics than the kind of "Doty has no place being on the court." or "Geno has to do this or do that." As Ozzie said the other type of comments reveal more about the poster than any understanding about performance or basketball.

Ice I could not agree more. The problem arises because we are individuals with different perceptions. What one individual considers an on point comment others might take as a personal attack. Even if the comment is factually true. Sometimes it's simply a matter of poor word choice. What if "so and so sucks" had been "so and so" has scored 2 points in the team's 3 losses?

But then there are those that consider any comment that doesn't speak of a player in positive, glowing terms as a personal attack on the player. They get under my skin probably as much as I get under theirs.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No they don't "suck" (be nice, I mean it only in a basketball way, no double entendres). But their play to fail to hold on to a lead at the end of regulation, failing to hold onto a lead in the first OT, failing again to hold on to a lead in the second OT and then the total collapse in the 3rd OT . . . . really did suck. It was absolutely abysmal - a total choke job.

Sorry, this is big time basketball. The best of the best. Can't have it both ways . . . the parades, the accolades, the celebrity and then fall apart like this and expect not to be severely criticized. This isn't youth basketball where everybody played awesome.

Of course one can celebrate things without having to descend to childish and juvenile tantrums and language when things are at the opposite extreme. The players did not suck the OT stats are much stronger than one would expect from a team the "sucked" at the end of the game. The outcome sucked. The foul shooting sucked. Most of those FTs were taken by players under that type of pressure for the first time in a college game in a hostile environment. Could they have done better, absolutely, can they do better, most likely, must they do better for UCONN to win, I expect so.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ice I could not agree more. The problem arises because we are individuals with different perceptions. What one individual considers an on point comment others might take as a personal attack. Even if the comment is factually true. Sometimes it's simply a matter of poor word choice. What if "so and so sucks" had been "so and so" has scored 2 points in the team's 3 losses?

But then there are those that consider any comment that doesn't speak of a player in positive, glowing terms as a personal attack on the player. They get under my skin probably as much as I get under theirs.

Then one should take more time in word choice and if one can not think of a way to state it well or respectfully one is better off not speaking. Respect the person/player critique the performance.

From Luther's Large Catechism:
No one shall say anything evil of a neighbor, whether true or false, unless it is done with proper authority or for that person’s improvement. Rather, we should use our tongue to speak only the best about all people, to cover the sins and infirmities of our neighbors, to justify their actions, and to cloak and veil them with our own honor." LC 1.285

Yes, it even applies to being a basketball fan.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Gee, they sucked. But you took it back and now they had a total choke job.

I feel warm all over...must be the fever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom