Dorsey to Oregon | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dorsey to Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ollie say Dorsey I heard 2 or 3x on the Stamford trip. Ollie was pushing a visit.

Reaction Score
Need Bruce Brown to reclassify to 2015. If he comes here next year, then we have 3 Top 50 recruits. Agreed we need another PG, and not sure why Ollie keeps cancelling to go see the kid from NJ.

Reaction Score
We're loaded with nothing spectacular - the last thing we need is a Craig Austrie-type who had trouble scoring.

We whiffed on Dorsey two or three times and kept trying to get back into it.

We're rapidly running out of "next" - the next-best option here is the point guard Pervis Ellison has down in Jersey, but we somehow keep canceling visits to him.

If Ollie was truly inspired by some of these failures, he'd go to Jersey and bring back the guard AND Pervis Ellison as an assistant coach.
I'll take either kid from Jersey (Ellison or Traci Carter) at this point.

Reaction Score
Need Bruce Brown to reclassify to 2015. If he comes here next year, then we have 3 Top 50 recruits. Agreed we need another PG, and not sure why Ollie keeps cancelling to go see the kid from NJ.
According to ESPN recruiting, Brown is spotty with his ball-handling. I'll take a top 100 recruit any day but I think I prefer Carter or Ellison from NJ over Brown if he reclassifies.

Reaction Score
I still don't think our conference is much of a problem when it comes to recruiting, because most kids don't really care about what conference they play in. Kids wouldn't be going to Kentucky if they cared about playing in a good conference.

What they do care about is becoming lottery picks. Go read quotes about how Calipari recruits kids. It is 100% about the NBA. Kentucky as a school is not emphasized, the SEC is not emphasized, playing college games is not emphasized.

So when Kemba Walker is the best player in college and gets drafted 9th, that's bad for us. When Shabazz is the best player in college and gets drafted 24th that is bad for us. Deandre Daniels playing great in the NCAA tournament and getting drafted in the second round is bad. Andre Drummond getting drafted 9th after being the consensus #2 player in his class is bad.

People complain about the conference, but we could play in the SWAC and kids would come here if we were producing top draft picks.

Reaction Score
How many times do guys with sketchy recruiting (Dorsey, Lyle, etc) actually work out? Way more times than not, they don't.

Reaction Score
Relax, it was definitely said tongue in cheek. The serious question though is if KO would maintain total loyalty to a kid even if it's clear he won't cut it at this level or would he encourage him to look elsewhere? It happens all the time in almost every program, let's not pretend it doesn't.

Right, definitely happens. Think the coach pretty much just sits down with the player at the end of the season and gives a completely honest assessment of how he sees that player fitting into the program in the future. If he says 11th or 12th man...and the player wants an opportunity to play, in many cases they leave.

I don't think we need to worry about that at this juncture though...we have two wide open scholarships right now. Let's worry about filling the ships we have open first.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I still don't think our conference is much of a problem when it comes to recruiting, because most kids don't really care about what conference they play in. Kids wouldn't be going to Kentucky if they cared about playing in a good conference.

What they do care about is becoming lottery picks. Go read quotes about how Calipari recruits kids. It is 100% about the NBA. Kentucky as a school is not emphasized, the SEC is not emphasized, playing college games is not emphasized.

So when Kemba Walker is the best player in college and gets drafted 9th, that's bad for us. When Shabazz is the best player in college and gets drafted 24th that is bad for us. Deandre Daniels playing great in the NCAA tournament and getting drafted in the second round is bad. Andre Drummond getting drafted 9th after being the consensus #2 player in his class is bad.

People complain about the conference, but we could play in the SWAC and kids would come here if we were producing top draft picks.
I agree that conference is only slightly overblown in terms of recruiting acumen by our fans, but the Kentucky comparison doesnt work here. Its true that the SEC isnt a very good bball conference, but its still the SEC, arguably one of the best overall sports conferences to be an athlete in, a conference that has historically played by its own (dirty) rules and whose programs treat their athletes like demi-gods. Also, despite Kentucky being in a super tty SEC (bball wise), they STILL get at least one major primetime game that ESPN hypes up all week leading up to it. This whole past week ESPN was showing their primetime hype promos for Duke-Virginia (totally understandable, one of the biggest games of the year) followed by Kentucky-Missouri (bleh, what an awful game to watch) yet it was still a major game the network was pushing. Why? Because its Kentucky, and they have developed their image and brand into something that viewers want to watch whether we like it or not. This is one area UConn really needs to work on.

I also agree with you 100% on everything else you said after the first paragraph 7774, Kentucky is doing recruiting right, and we can learn something from Cal (gross I know).

Reaction Score
According to ESPN recruiting, Brown is spotty with his ball-handling. I'll take a top 100 recruit any day but I think I prefer Carter or Ellison from NJ over Brown if he reclassifies.
Why not take both? We had 2 schollies available...

Reaction Score
I agree that conference is only slightly overblown in terms of recruiting acumen by our fans, but the Kentucky comparison doesnt work here. Its true that the SEC isnt a very good bball conference, but its still the SEC, arguably one of the best overall sports conferences to be an athlete in, a conference that has historically played by its own (dirty) rules and whose programs treat their athletes like demi-gods. Also, despite Kentucky being in a super ty SEC (bball wise), they STILL get at least one major primetime game that ESPN hypes up all week leading up to it. This whole past week ESPN was showing their primetime hype promos for Duke-Virginia (totally understandable, one of the biggest games of the year) followed by Kentucky-Missouri (bleh, what an awful game to watch) yet it was still a major game the network was pushing. Why? Because its Kentucky, and they have developed their image and brand into something that viewers want to watch whether we like it or not. This is one area UConn really needs to work on.

I also agree with you 100% on everything else you said after the first paragraph 7774, Kentucky is doing recruiting right, and we can learn something from Cal (gross I know).
I guess I haven't noticed that much hype when it comes to Kentucky's conference games, at least relative to Kentucky's current position in college basketball. Obviously they get hyped quite a bit, because they have the biggest and most passionate fan base, and ESPN cares about money, which equates to ratings.

IMO, there is never much major buzz surrounding any Kentucky conference game except the ones against Florida each year.

Reaction Score
Why not take both? We had 2 schollies available...
Because I also think we need a stretch 4 who can space the floor out or a legit big. Enoch is still an unknown. If he isn't what many hope for next year, our front court will still be a glaring weakness.

PWS

Reaction Score
Give me Carter, Malik and Pervis Ellison.

Is
Dana Altman hasn't gotten one second of good press in two years and is basically hanging on because he's too expensive to fire.

But if he's on a kid we're on, we're done.

Lightbulb starting to go on for any of the 'alls' well' crowd?

The real question is - Is the lightbulb going off in the UConn Basketball offices. It doesn't seem like it would be Ollie's nature to replace a less than successful assistant, but the trend is not our friend here.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I remember saying I thought he was overrated. Remember when you contributed anything of substance to this board? I don't either.
Sensitive? wow
C'mon guys shake hands and make-up
NEXT

Reaction Score
Is

The real question is - Is the lightbulb going off in the UConn Basketball offices. It doesn't seem like it would be Ollie's nature to replace a less than successful assistant, but the trend is not our friend here.

I can't see KO forcing an assistant out and I don't see any of them leaving after this season. We are in dire need of a big-time recruiter, but I don't see any changes in the near future.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Despite Oregon basketball being a mess with no accomplishments or accolades, they are indeed in the circle of "flashy/se xy" which is why players seem to gravitate to the program. Having top notch facilities as well as being kings on campus at a major athletics university has its perks, oh and so does the hardcore backing of billionaire Phil Knight, whose company single handedly molds and shapes athletic marketing and fashion design relevant to the players they are recruiting.

I can buy Oregon hoodies and gear in any Champs or Foot Locker in Connecticut shopping malls, yet UConn gear is nowhere to be found aside from an occasional t-shirt in these national retailers.

Reaction Score
I don't want to underestimate the fact we have Jalen and Steve coming in, but the reality is we need more next year somehow. And it isn't looking all that good!

BUConn10

Reaction Score
I don't want to underestimate the fact we have Jalen and Steve coming in, but the reality is we need more next year somehow. And it isn't looking all that good!
everything is fine, we won a NC last year and scheduled for another one in 2018, go root for UK /s

Reaction Score
I can't see KO forcing an assistant out and I don't see any of them leaving after this season. We are in dire need of a big-time recruiter, but I don't see any changes in the near future.

It's a job. They're employees. If they aren't getting it done, they'll be replaced.

Reaction Score
It's a job. They're employees. If they aren't getting it done, they'll be replaced.
Well, that gets a little harder, I'd say, when they're all members of the UConn family. I never wholly liked keeping all those spots for former players, as much as I admire all each of them has done for us. Get an AAU connected person, pay whatever we have to for that, and let KO close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom