Dorsey to Oregon | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dorsey to Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Resurrect the Israeli Connection. It's our only hope now. Recruits from half-way around the world may not have heard of the AAC or might think we're still in the Big East. ;)

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Oh cool. I'm stupid so thanks for updating me on the symbols of texting/tweeting/shorthand.
Haha basically what Stairmaster said, "/s" means "sarcasm off".

Reaction Score
A fifth year transfer like Lasan Kromah - albeit not as sensational - would pay dividends right away.

Reaction Score
People are really shouting from the mountain tops for traci carter and ellison , both 3 star recruits. When you lose your best three shooters its hard to come back the next year and have a competitive offense, i suspect uconns roster composition is fine but just in need of development. KO hasn't brought in a huge class yet, but each year he's gotten one good guy. Brimah/Hamilton/Adams

pj

Reaction Score
People are really shouting from the mountain tops for traci carter and ellison , both 3 star recruits. When you lose your best three shooters its hard to come back the next year and have a competitive offense, i suspect uconns roster composition is fine but just in need of development. KO hasn't brought in a huge class yet, but each year he's gotten one good guy. Brimah/Hamilton/Adams

A good recruiting year is two quality players who can contribute quickly (guards as freshman, bigs as sophs) and 1 project who has a chance to develop as an upperclassman.

We have two good players this year in Enoch and Adams, it will be on paper a decent recruiting year if we can bring in one more player, like one of the Germans. But the roster has holes due to past weak classes, we need another ballhandler and shooter. Don't see any candidates for another year.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
A good recruiting year is two quality players who can contribute quickly (guards as freshman, bigs as sophs) and 1 project who has a chance to develop as an upperclassman.

We have two good players this year in Enoch and Adams, it will be on paper a decent recruiting year if we can bring in one more player, like one of the Germans. But the roster has holes due to past weak classes, we need another ballhandler and shooter. Don't see any candidates for another year.
This would be true if this team didnt have such glaring holes in multiple positions. Considering the two ball handler system Ollie uses, as well as a total lack of a single reliable 3pt shooter or offensive paint presence, this team is fundamentally flawed, which is why Im not getting so worked up about the seeming underperformance. They are simply not built right to win. With these problems being well acknowledged, Ollie's recruits for this upcoming season are not enough to be competitive next season, especially since we are replacing our best player and ball handler with a freshman, albeit a very talented one.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Remember when we shrugged off Ali and Jackson decomitting..... We needed those scholarships for more talented players we said...

I still dont think we have been given a single reasonable reason as to why those two guys decommitted. Usually when a program wins the title, there is a noticeable uptick in recruiting the few years following, for us it seems to have been the opposite.

On an unrelated note, who would have thought back in the post-2010 offseason that our incoming recruiting class of Napier, Lamb, Giffey, and Roscoe would be one of the greatest, and most important, in UConn history, quite remarkable. I was recently watching a replay of a 2011 game and couldnt help but miss Roscoe, he would be a great player to have on this team, his rebounding instinct was incredible, and he was tough as nails. One of the best images of that season was "Black eye" Roscoe.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I seem to recall reading that Ollie didn't really keep in touch with Jackson post-commit.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
I seem to recall reading that Ollie didn't really keep in touch with Jackson post-commit.
If so thats not a good sign. Alludes to inexperience at recruiting or a missing piece within the coaching staff.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I'm probably more worried about who we have recruited than about who we lost. Every team has a guy, maybe two , that doesn't work out.But I think we may have doubled that. And I don't think 3 more of them would help us this year.
Someone missed the ball at judging the ability to handle the ball and pass at this level. Some of our guys are raw and will get better. Others, I don't see it. I hope I'm wrong. I love the team. They owe me nothing-quite the opposite.

Reaction Score
On an unrelated note, who would have thought back in the post-2010 offseason that our incoming recruiting class of Napier, Lamb, Giffey, and Roscoe would be one of the greatest, and most important, in UConn history, quite remarkable.

Don't forget Olander, he still has more rings than Jim Boeheim.

Reaction Score
I still dont think we have been given a single reasonable reason as to why those two guys decommitted. Usually when a program wins the title, there is a noticeable uptick in recruiting the few years following, for us it seems to have been the opposite.

On an unrelated note, who would have thought back in the post-2010 offseason that our incoming recruiting class of Napier, Lamb, Giffey, and Roscoe would be one of the greatest, and most important, in UConn history, quite remarkable. I was recently watching a replay of a 2011 game and couldnt help but miss Roscoe, he would be a great player to have on this team, his rebounding instinct was incredible, and he was tough as nails. One of the best images of that season was "Black eye" Roscoe.

Last spring KO was the hot coach on the recruiting trail. I remember reading direct quotes from kids stating how they respected KO, their parents loved KO, the grandparents loved KO. heck even their pets loved KO. Not sure what's happened since then, don't get me wrong I'm very happy with Adams and Enoch, but given how we started I expected more. I'm hoping for a surprise or two in the spring.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Last spring KO was the hot coach on the recruiting trail. I remember reading direct quotes from kids stating how they respected KO, their parents loved KO, the grandparents loved KO. heck even their pets loved KO. Not sure what's happened since then, don't get me wrong I'm very happy with Adams and Enoch, but given how we started I expected more. I'm hoping for a surprise or two in the spring.
All the kind words are nice and all, but if guys aren't signing on the dotted line then its all either (a) typical cliche interview answers (not likely considering how much respect guys in the NBA go out of their way to show Ollie) or (b) something happening behind the scenes that we dont know about (rivals using negative recruiting against him, AAC, geography, etc). I am leaning towards (b) personally.

Reaction Score
You guys expected more than hauling in adams and enoch both POTENTIAL NBA PROSPECTS ... its so funny because if our record were different no noise about recruiting would be brought up( and it really could have been) . yall just searching for some scapegoat to hang, there isn't. this roster needs development and thats that. I love how everybody sees cassell purvis and samuel and think 'hey these guys are terrible right now we need more talent our recruiting sucks'. lmao. and the questioning of Ollie as a coach is beyond mystifying. let him go coach in the nba and end up with a chip in OKC

BUConn10

Reaction Score
You guys expected more than hauling in adams and enoch both POTENTIAL NBA PROSPECTS ... its so funny because if our record were different no noise about recruiting would be brought up( and it really could have been) . yall just searching for some scapegoat to hang, there isn't. this roster needs development and thats that. I love how everybody sees cassell purvis and samuel and think 'hey these guys are terrible right now we need more talent our recruiting sucks'. lmao. and the questioning of Ollie as a coach is beyond mystifying. let him go coach in the nba and end up with a chip in OKC

As of next year I'd say our NBA prospects are Adams, Purvis, Brimah; the latter two of whom can safely be categorized as "projects" in that regard. At this point, Brimah and Purvis have huge strides to make to have hopes of playing at that level, and with two years of eligibility remaining time is ticking.

You can't tell me you look at Cassell (struggles with the speed and athleticism of this level), Samuels (lacks ball handling, FTs and shooting - and hes a guard), Facey (whose shown flashes but has only been playing basketball for 5 or so years), and Lubin and tell me you see high-major D1 players, or the type of guys we had getting steady minutes under Calhoun during the 2000-2009 era, which I'd say were our best years in terms of raw talent. Not putting these guys down, but we need to achieve a better balance.

Reaction Score
As of next year I'd say our NBA prospects are Adams, Purvis, Brimah; the latter two of whom can safely be categorized as "projects" in that regard. At this point, Brimah and Purvis have huge strides to make to have hopes of playing at that level, and with two years of eligibility remaining time is ticking.

You can't tell me you look at Cassell (struggles with the speed and athleticism of this level), Samuels (lacks ball handling, FTs and shooting - and hes a guard), Facey (whose shown flashes but has only been playing basketball for 5 or so years), and Lubin and tell me you see high-major D1 players, or the type of guys we had getting steady minutes under Calhoun during the 2000-2009 era, which I'd say were our best years in terms of raw talent. Not putting these guys down, but we need to achieve a better balance.
all those guys you mentioned in the second paragraph are underclassman. have you seen how freshman play in d1 hoops? rare impact players. you have to keep an eye on development. cassell has struggles but also has strengths. same for samuel and facey. both have a nice trajectory. i would be weary of seeeing a freshman or redshirt play and write them off, lots of things change for 19-23 year olds as far as hoops

Reaction Score
As of next year I see our only NBA Prospects as Jalen Adams (Very high on him, have personally seen him on many accounts), Amidah Brimah (Contrary to what many posters here say, still ver high on him, big difference maker defensively, evolving offensive game) and Daniel Hamilton (Can impact the way through scoring, assisting, rebounding, great size).

Purvis I believe stuck a fork in his NBA Stock I'm not buying, 2nd round to undrafted most likely the latter. I do believe facey can become something down the road.

The top 3 I mentioned I think can carry us to the NCAA tournament with the addition of a shooter. Or extra ball handler, Im leaning towards shooter, in another thread @James made a compelling argument for a shooter rather than a ball handler that Im completely on board for... But damn I wish we got Dorsey

Last edited:

BUConn10

Reaction Score
all those guys you mentioned in the second paragraph are underclassman. have you seen how freshman play in d1 hoops? rare impact players. you have to keep an eye on development. cassell has struggles but also has strengths. same for samuel and facey. both have a nice trajectory. i would be weary of seeeing a freshman or redshirt play and write them off, lots of things change for 19-23 year olds as far as hoops
You're 100% right on that, I'm simply going off of my "eye test" as well as the development of these guys from their freshman years into this current season as well. Players often have the biggest jump in development between the sophomore to junior transition, yet throughout their first two years you see flashes of their brilliance. I saw some of that in freshman TSam with his ability to get to the rim, yet his complete inability to shoot the ball from anywhere really alludes to his lack of coaching in HS as well as caps his potential as a guard in my eyes. Cassell seems to have decent PG skills and his shot isnt falling but hes supposed to be a good shooter so he gets a pass for now, yet he looks 2 or 3 gears slower than the competition, lets not forget he was recruited based off of his stellar numbers at a Junior College, so they were most likely highly inflated. Facey is athletic and has shown potential but not having picked up a basketball until the age of 14 has to hurt his growth; most of these college players have been playing since they can walk, not everyone is like Hakeem where they pick up the game late and become a HOF.

Also, I cant believe I forgot Hamilton in my previous post you quoted, now that kid is a STUD, he just needs to tighten up his game. He is far beyond what we see from a freshman, which is why he is not grouped with Cassell, TSam, Purvis, etc in that regard.

Reaction Score
If so thats not a good sign. Alludes to inexperience at recruiting or a missing piece within the coaching staff.

It was pretty obvious he cut ties after Jackson had a terrible AAU season.

Reaction Score

Fair points. I'm actually optimistic about next season. We do have talent, it just needs development as you say. As far as recruiting, coming off an NC with a hot young coach, I think many of us expected more. I don't expect to recruit like Kentucky but I do expect to beat out schools like VCU and UNLV.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I thought because we had several guards along with Ali and adams

caw

Reaction Score
I thought because we had several guards along with Ali and adams

From all I've heard it was a mutual parting of ways. Ali was more one sided, still haven't heard a legit reason for that situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom