Dorka says she's returning | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Dorka says she's returning

Reaction Score
What question marks? Especially now that Dorka declared she is returning? The only thing I see is whether Aubrey comes back whole and stronger (physically and mentally). She is likely going to see action as a guard/wing.

Last edited:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

Geno...
Dr House Oops GIF

Reaction Score
If you look at the numbers, Dorka should have more PT than AE but AE has been trending up recently. Liv has had a great year and will certainly be missed.

Reaction Score
A better Dorka, actually.....she is learning new tricks every day, it seems.
I think it will be a better Dorka next year too, but largely because she can concentrate on the C position instead of splitting her time between there and PF.

Reaction Score
I think it will be a better Dorka next year too, but largely because she can concentrate on the C position instead of splitting her time between there and PF.
She is already doing that. Geno is, for all intents and purposes, rotating Liv and Dorka at the five and Alijah and Caroline at the four.

Reaction Score
I guess, if UConn wins the tournament, there would be no reason for her to come back....hence no official confirmation.

Reaction Score
Agreed. BIG deal for next year. As roster plays out without Olivia and Evina she may have a major role. Thank you Dorka.
You are right it's a big deal. Dorka, in my opinion had a major role this season. I hate to think of how it would have developed without her. I believe Geno will develop his 2 current post from the bench but experience happens in games playing Geno's Basketball. Dorka is fully conversant in Geno's basketball by now. I think she'll be a great role model.

Reaction Score
I am incredibly happy that Dorka will be back next year. However I still think an experienced quality back up Center who can eat up 15 to 20 minutes of playing time is vital. I don’t know if the younger posts are ready for full-time yet or if they will be next year. I think we see that having the extra big is important to our offense and defense. And I think that our two bigger recruits next year look to be more small forward and power forward as opposed to true post players. So the extra big would only help.
I'm not an expert, but by observation: It took Dorka nearly half the season before she smoothly moved in and out of the rotation and she's got 5 years of college experience. Any transfer or new Frosh won't (unless she is Caroline) will move right in and produce.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I would be mildly interested in knowing how this UConn statement that Dan Connolly tweeted about occurred, why it occurred, and exactly what was said.

It seems a little odd that UConn would affirmatively jump in on the subject and put Geno in a semi-awkward position like that. And I don`t think they actually did do that.

Why? No one else is reporting on it. Dom Amore for the Hartford Courant is reporting this afternoon the initial story based on Geno`s comments, without Connolly`s qualification.

Since Connolly seems to be the only one reporting it, I`m guessing HE initiated contact with someone at UConn and asked whether an "official decision" (his words) had been made, and (not surprisingly) UConn was not able to give him a "yes" to that. We don`t know and probably won`t know the specifics of the conversation.

For that matter, we don`t know if any of the current players will be back. None of them has made an "official decision". (Don`t get alarmed now.)

But bottom line, I wouldn`t be too concerned about the lack of "official decision" confirmation. If Geno felt comfortable saying what he said, that`s good enough for me.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Since Connolly seems to be the only one reporting it, I`m guessing HE initiated contact with someone at UConn and asked whether an "official decision" (his words) had been made, and (not surprisingly) UConn was not able to give him that. We don`t know and probably won`t know the specifics of the conversation.

Maggie Vanoni says the same.

A UConn spokesperson said Juhász has not officially indicated if she is returning.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
It`s possible she is just repeating what she saw from Connolly`s tweet. No evidence of any kind of public statement from UConn, no name tied to it. Who knows.

And the word "officially" is used, similar to what Connolly said. None of them are officially returning at this point.

Reaction Score
I think she will "roam" between the two sort of like what Stewie did but she's not as athletic - we'll see if her 3-pt shooting pct goes up to what it was one season at OSU.

Reaction Score
I'm one to say thank you Dorka. It will be nice to see you play once again next season. Hopefully Aubrey will be fully recovered by season start.

Many people here have been saying that Geno should go into the portal for another guard, which I know that we can use. With Dorka coming back why not ask Evina to hang around another year. You can't ask for a better team player than her.
They all could come back, but it's not going to happen.

Reaction Score
I just don't see Aaliyah moving to a wing position as a junior. IMO Caroline will start, Aubrey will back her up if healthy. Ayanna Patterson can give you emergency minutes at the wing spot if need.
Amari Piath (5) C
Dorka Ice (4/5) PF/C
Aaliyah, Patterson (4) PF
Caroline, Aubrey (3) W/SF
Azzi, Abby Meyers* (2) SG
Paige, Nika ( 1) PG

* I'm doing the Lavar Ball thing here and speaking this into existence.
This would be very deep deep squad that would give UCONN the ability to dictate the tempo against ANYONE. It would allow the freshman some time to grow up as well as allow UCONN to put a variety of styles on the court eg. defensive lock down team would feature NIka, Patterson and Aubrey and a lights out shooting team could feature Abby, Azzi, Paige and Caroline.
Good assessment including your wish/hope for Abby Meyers. Wthout her, one injury and we are at risk in the critical point guard slot. DeBerry and Aubrey the two big wild cards. Can see DeBerry getting more physical and earning minutes. Suspect it will take time for Aubrey to get back on track but certainly possible.

Reaction Score
Good point ... really tough to recruit a guard who knows those four are in front of you.
While Azzi is a great ball handler, the only true point guards next year are Paige and Niki. Each has missed games in the past and Geno likes to move Paige from time to time to shooting guard. I view this as similar to Dorka who came to a team with 4 bigs and earned her minutes.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
I guess, if UConn wins the tournament, there would be no reason for her to come back....hence no official confirmation.

Maybe there are some people out there who think two is not only bigger than one, but also better than one. Stewie seemed to think four was a nice number.

Reaction Score
That’s a great news Dorka is back for he final eligibility… If Amari will develop alongside with Piath Uconn will be tough at the paint. Yanna will be a strong back up of AE at the 4 ..I can’t wait to watch for next year . Hoping for a healthy year too .

Reaction Score
Maybe there are some people out there who think two is not only bigger than one, but also better than one. Stewie seemed to think four was a nice number.
True, but then, Stewie didn't have the option to leave. Had to stay for 4 years, lucky us!

Reaction Score
I'm not an expert, but by observation: It took Dorka nearly half the season before she smoothly moved in and out of the rotation and she's got 5 years of college experience. Any transfer or new Frosh won't (unless she is Caroline) will move right in and produce.
I do agree with you that a young transfer may have a problem adjusting to the system quickly but a grad transfer with experience at a big school should be able to adjust more quickly. It took Dorka a while to get adjusted and it may take the grad transfer a little while but it’s still Should be an upgrade from inexperienced sophomores and freshmen. This transfer need only be next year’s hole filler. Would we turn down another Dorka next year?

Reaction Score
What question marks? Especially now that Dorka declared she is returning? The only thing I see is whether Aubrey comes back whole and stronger (physically and mentally). She is likely going to see action as a guard/wing.
Question marks is a relative term here. Backup 2/3 may not be a major concern, but I think it is fair to say for a loaded team it may be more of a concern than any other part of the roster. This year we had 6 guards, which at times was not enough when we were down to 3. Next year with no additions we have 4. I count Aubrey as mostly a PF who could certainly defend the 3, but is not a natural player there. Nika could back up Azzi but is clearly not a SG.

So if everyone was healthy, assuming Paige, Azzi, and Caroline start, you could have a 4 guard rotation with Nika backing up all three. Aubrey perhaps could be used to backup Caroline, but with mostly Nika and some Aubrey providing the backup guard minutes you are getting great defense, good rebounding, and in Nika a passer. But the kind of perimeter scoring you expect from 2's and 3's is missing, and you are vulnerable to any injury of a guard.

Someone like Abby Myers could be a 2/3 backup or even a threat to start, but provide the perimeter traits Nika and Aubrey lack along with leaving us in a pretty good position if one guard goes down. With someone like that, you have far more situational versatility, with defenders, a shooter and a passer to draw on, and even with a good guard addition, that would put us at 5, one less than last year, so I think it should be the most significant priority and a reason to explore the portal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom