Dorka says she's returning | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Dorka says she's returning

Reaction Score
So she told Geno, but she just hasn't set it in stone with UConn yet.
We'll know for sure in June. If she comes for summer session then she's coming back, if she doesn't, then she's not.

Reaction Score
Fun to live in the basketball present but also entertaining to look into the future:

Assuming for the moment there is no portal addition: after next season we will lose
Dorka. Aubrey will be graduating but have one/maybe 2 years of athletic eligibility left if she so chooses...hoping for
a decision to use at least one of those years.

No Dorka for 2023-2024: Bigs returning... Aaliyah a senior... Piath a senior...Amari a junior...Ice and Ayanna sophs. Geno needs to be hitting the 2023 high school class for a 'big big'....or a portal 2023'er. Ciera is a 'big'...6'4" or so...but she strikes me more a stretch 4 than a physical body-mover in the paint.

BTW: I was not trying to establish as fact that Geno was looking into the 2022 portal for a guard...there have been numerous posts about that possibility...just seems with injuries in the mix that 4 guards may not be enough...'hope' he is out there looking.
there are a really limited number of quality bigs in both the 2023 and 2024 classes...........it's not going to be an easy task ..........

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Agree with Vancat: Geno went public with this info. I assume Dorka told him and that he strongly believes her.
I would guess that at some point she has to sign some documents...simply hasn't done that yet.
So..I go with Geno's words and yet understand why the administration made its accurate statement.

Of course even after she signs the papers she has the right to simply change her mind.
Another year in Storrs helps both her and the team...imo.

Reaction Score
Fantastic news!

Paige/Azzi/Dorka/Aaliyah and....5th starter is Caroline/Nika?

Those 6 get major minutes...with Aubrey/Ice/Ayanna in the mix for significant PT as well.
Hoping for a summer of improvement for Piath and Amari for much more than end-of-game blow-out time.

Is Geno still looking for a portal guard for next year? I'd guess 'yes'.
I would like to see Geno keep Nika in the starting lineup, as I think that her tenacious defense sets the tone.

Reaction Score
Dorka always gave the diplomatic responses when asked if she was enjoying her time at UCONN. But here decision to stay validates her honesty & desire to win.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Geno is just sending some "messages" ;)

Geno_mind_tricks.jpg

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
And here I would’ve thought his powers would be exhausted from using them to convince the committee to place Connecticut in Bridgeport….

:rolleyes:
Naaah. The weaker the mind, the less the effort. We're talking about the committee here....

Reaction Score
I guess it's like an oral commitment during recruiting. Yes, we jump up and down but it's not the actual signing. I think players have a few days after their last game (hopefully the NC game) to declare for the WNBA. However, it would also make sense for her to ditch the WNBA and go play in Europe--closer to family and lots more moola.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I guess it's like an oral commitment during recruiting. Yes, we jump up and down but it's not the actual signing. I think players have a few days after their last game (hopefully the NC game) to declare for the WNBA. However, it would also make sense for her to ditch the WNBA and go play in Europe--closer to family and lots more moola.

I'd say this is more solid than a verbal during recruiting. And the way things are in Europe right now sticking around the USA an extra year isn't the worst thing.

Reaction Score
Dorka as the new " Moma" crossed my mind also... spread the
love!

I'm one to say thank you Dorka. It will be nice to see you play once again next season. Hopefully Aubrey will be fully recovered by season start.

Many people here have been saying that Geno should go into the portal for another guard, which I know that we can use. With Dorka coming back why not ask Evina to hang around another year. You can't ask for a better team player than her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I'm one to say thank you Dorka. It will be nice to see you play once again next season. Hopefully Aubrey will be fully recovered by season start.

Many people here have been saying that Geno should go into the portal for another guard, which I know that we can use. With Dorka coming back why not ask Evina to hang around another year. You can't ask for a better team player than her.
Evina has strong pro aspirations and her play the last month or so puts her in the best position she is likely to have to get good draft position., Besides, being called Great Grandma by the new class is too much of a sacrifice, ;)

Reaction Score
With Dorka coming back why not ask Evina to hang around another year. You can't ask for a better team player than her.

Evina has given everything we could have asked to this program, and more. If she wants to come back for one more year, fabulous. But she is entitled to move on with her life, whether that's in the W or in broadcasting or something else. Husky Nation will always embrace her and support her in whatever she decides to do.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Evina has strong pro aspirations and her play the last month or so puts her in the best position she is likely to have to get good draft position., Besides, being called Great Grandma by the new class is too much of a sacrifice, ;)
I’m not 100% sure she does have strong pro aspirations. There have been a few hits that she might be more interested in a broadcast career. Of course I’m rooting for her regardless of what she decides to pursue.

Reaction Score
I just don't see Aaliyah moving to a wing position as a junior. IMO Caroline will start, Aubrey will back her up if healthy. Ayanna Patterson can give you emergency minutes at the wing spot if need.
Amari Piath (5) C
Dorka Ice (4/5) PF/C
Aaliyah, Patterson (4) PF
Caroline, Aubrey (3) W/SF
Azzi, Abby Meyers* (2) SG
Paige, Nika ( 1) PG

* I'm doing the Lavar Ball thing here and speaking this into existence.
This would be very deep deep squad that would give UCONN the ability to dictate the tempo against ANYONE. It would allow the freshman some time to grow up as well as allow UCONN to put a variety of styles on the court eg. defensive lock down team would feature NIka, Patterson and Aubrey and a lights out shooting team could feature Abby, Azzi, Paige and Caroline.
I like it and agree. I might consider Abby a 2/3 and Aubrey a 3/4, where who you back up Caroline with depends on whether you want defense (Aubrey) or a perimeter offensive player (Abby). That roster has quite a bit of versatility in many ways, and I like your unofficial recruitment of Abby. A quick decision from her could after Princeton's last game. If so that would be a cherry on top of the Dorka news.

Reaction Score
Don't forget, Aubrey will be shouldering a lot of the rebounding load. Should free Dorka and AE up for a lot of high-low magic.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I had a feeling she would NOT return because of Senior Day. However, JavaWoman contends that I am wrong most of the time anyway. :confused: Difference is, this time I actually was :rolleyes: ...and happy about it. :D
Java, I was a little skeptical too, but then I also thought Tom Brady’s heart was NOT in his retirement announcement 2 months ago. Not too many people did. His lips were moving, but he didn't sound like he was serious. So I’m 1 for 2.

I was going to wait until the players returned for summer school to see if see returned, but now I don't have to. UConn will be a much more formidable team next year with Dorka on the roster as she can play multiple positions. Her presence will give Geno more depth and flexibility. Today is a good day.

Reaction Score
This is Great News. IMO she'll be an All American next year as the starting Center for a deep UConn team. She'll also improve her WNBA draft status and end up drafted in the 1st round. I think we'll see the Dorka that played for Ohio St.
A better Dorka, actually.....she is learning new tricks every day, it seems.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom