Dorka Juhasz transferring to UConn | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Dorka Juhasz transferring to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Very insightful analysis NameTwo. Welcome aboard !! Disagree slightly with you on Mir and Aubrey - obviously the more offense they can produce the better for them and the team, but I think they can contribute now with defense and rebounding.
Thanks, Kb50. Sweet name, actually. Concur re: A/M. They will both help this team primarily on glass & D w/o scoring burden. My point is that both need to convert their games from undersized bigs to wing players in order to fulfill their potential & also fit best with other pieces. Dorka addition facilitates this transition.

Aubrey, in particular given her 6'1" frame combined with plus athleticism, has a shot at WNBA but not as a 4. She must make this change in order to get to next level. As good as she was @ UConn, even Napheesa had to make a similar change b/c undersized for PF at that level. Gabby went pro with analogous size/athletic profile to Aubrey (though better tools, esp handle/passing), so model is there for both (although Mir ceding another 2" @ 5'11" so her need to be special in at least one facet really must evolve during her UConn tenure to play professionally, at least Stateside).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Earlier in the season both ONO & Edwards were foul prone and Geno couldn't play them together. Later they improved the fouling problem but it caught up with them in the final four. In order to play Edwards & ONO together Geno needed an effective backup post, especially in elite games. Otherwise ONO & Edwards can't afford to risk fouling by playing physical. He had no one to back them up this season so those two were often alone on the court. That was fine for most games but not at the end. Juhasz is at the very least a competent backup post and at best an equal partner in a trio of posts/forwards who can keep each other fresh playing 25 minutes a game.

Reaction Score
Very surprised at this news. I apologize to those BY’ers who I doubted when they first suggested this possibility. Clearly, Geno has opened up a pipeline to Eastern European players. The challenge of managing the roster next season will be significant.
It also virtually insures a two posts, two wings set. The fight for playing time for those two wings (Azzi, Williams, Evina, Caroline) is going to be intense. Also, anyone thinking an all-Big post is not going to be playing 30 minutes a game is not thinking clearly. That conference had a lot of talent.

Reaction Score
Earlier in the season both ONO & Edwards were foul prone and Geno couldn't play them together. Later they improved the fouling problem but it caught up with them in the final four. In order to play Edwards & ONO together Geno needed an effective backup post, especially in elite games. Otherwise ONO & Edwards can't afford to risk fouling by playing physical. He had no one to back them up this season so those two were often alone on the court. That was fine for most games but not at the end. Juhasz is at the very least a competent backup post and at best an equal partner in a trio of posts/forwards who can keep each other fresh playing 25 minutes a game.
She was all-Big. That’s not the resume of a backup.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It also virtually insures a two posts, two wings set. The fight for playing time for those two wings (Azzi, Williams, Evina, Caroline) is going to be intense. Also, anyone thinking an all-Big post is not going to be playing 30 minutes a game is not thinking clearly. That conference had a lot of talent.
Dorka made the BIG all-academic 1st team and graduated in 3 years, so we know she is an intelligent young lady who should pick things up quickly. But when you look at the other F/C’s in UConn, Liv isn’t going away, Aaliyah will be a star next season and Amari may have a greater upside than any of them.

In 2017-18, on a team with far less depth than next year’s team, Z only averaged 20 mpg, owing to the fact that it was hard to play both Pheesa & Z at the same time, since they were both most effective in the low blocks on offense. Next year 30 minutes a game will be hard to come by for anyone not named Paige or Christyn.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well I gotta tell ya this is not great....its Un Be Liev Able. So 6'5 6'5 6'5 6'4 6'3 We got Bigs with height. The addition of DJ changes everything because there are so many more things that UConn will be able to do and so many options in the game that will change. UConn will be ranked number 1 and it will be very difficult for any team to be able to stay with them with a healthy roster this coming season. As good as DJ is Liv will get better Piath will get better and Amari will get really better. We are adding 2 terrific shooters in Azzi and Caroline. Caroline won the 3 pt shooting contest, with range beyond the 3 pt line. Azzi it has been said to be a generational player. With this group there are so many more things we can do as a team. Think about this we have 3 high school number 1's Christyn Paige and Azzi. This is imo the most gifted and talented team Geno has ever had. Its still comes down to 5 on 5 and we can only play 5. That to me means we need to find time for alot of the non starters.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She was all-Big. That’s not the resume of a backup.
Exactly! I'm looking forward to the competition but people need to look at this objectively-at least slightly.
One player was named first team All Big 10 and the other was not even named first team All Big East or first team AAC.

Reaction Score
Well I gotta tell ya this is not great....its Un Be Liev Able. So 6'5 6'5 6'5 6'4 6'3 We got Bigs with height. The addition of DJ changes everything because there are so many more things that UConn will be able to do and so many options in the game that will change. UConn will be ranked number 1 and it will be very difficult for any team to be able to stay with them with a healthy roster this coming season. As good as DJ is Liv will get better Piath will get better and Amari will get really better. We are adding 2 terrific shooters in Azzi and Caroline. Caroline won the 3 pt shooting contest, with range beyond the 3 pt line. Azzi it has been said to be a generational player. With this group there are so many more things we can do as a team. Think about this we have 3 high school number 1's Christyn Paige and Azzi. This is imo the most gifted and talented team Geno has ever had. Its still comes down to 5 on 5 and we can only play 5. That to me means we need to find time for alot of the non starters.
I bet if you took a poll, some would still not be satisfied with them heights. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
And it looks like she can make the 'bunnies'.
That would be very refreshing. There were so many games that would not have been close or we would have won that we lost because there were so many missed baskets under the basket. I definitely am looking forward to that.

Reaction Score
People won't be satisfied with the height we have unless there are five Karas on the floor.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Despite the demographic of the BY being older and hopefully wiser, quite a few people here have the new toy syndrome even if they have never seen how the new toy works.
I dismiss the toy analogy in favor of a tool analogy. If you know a given tool can't get the job done, do you keep using it or get one that might do the trick.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
This 2019 profile from an Ohio State blog probably sums up UConn's interest as much as anything else.

Key words: versatility, intensity, grit, willingness to battle

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Terrific play run by McGuff here. Juhasz shows excellent foot speed too. She certainly moves like a small forward.

Reaction Score
When he said there's going to be a problem I'm not sure if he is referring to ONO, the team or both............frankly next season's team isn't going to need ONO scoring a whole lot of points even against the toughest opponents as I expect to be averaging 18 -20 points a game to make up for any short fall..........I also have a feeling the front court players are going to have a much easier time of it as defenses are forced to the three point line to guard Bueckers and Fudd all the time.....

I don't see how you can interpret it any other way based on the below quote link/quote from Geno. He's saying if Liv "stays the same" - he said things are going to be tough on her. He immediately follows up with quotes he uses such as "her game" and "adjustments she needs to make." He is not referencing "team"- he is specifically talking about "her game."

In terms of next year's team not needing her-- weren't you arguing with me about a month ago when I was claiming UCONN would be the number 1 beast in the SEC if they were there - and you were sort of arguing with me using examples that SC being loaded too? I do agree UCONN "can probably win" but based on the quotes Geno is saying do you really think Geno is thinking how you are that he doesn't "need" Liv to score?

First off - if he doesn't need Liv's scoring at all why not play players minutes and take away minutes from Liv who can score so you aren't making it as tough on Paige and Azzi? As you say because you open the floor that much more - then why not give more minutes to players who can actually hit layups?

We hear a lot of talk about "use your bench" -- and in this case it is true if this kid from Ohio State is a player. The point being why should UCONN limit itself to winning only way vs the elite teams if one of his players remains as much offensively challenged as Liv has shown to be?

Liv is a fine enough player for UCONN to win it all. But you have to try to get better. One way to get better is to upgrade your weakest links because no team is without flaws. Of course there other ways to get better and that is play your best. But isn't it possible that this kid from Ohio State are at least equal to Liv? If they are equal there is a decent chance her minutes will drop, won't it?

And if the kid from Ohi o State overall is near equal- then she is going to need minutes to get acclimated to playing with the team. And the way Geno seems excited about Edwards, that would mean he might be taking away minutes from Liv, right? Especially if as Geno says "she stays the same."

Reaction Score
Geno, as coach, with the players he has assembled will have a "Feast amongst aplenty. No more, 'Starvation" !

Reaction Score
Another clip shows that DJ is not your typical post player. Dives off the three-point line in a hurry to get the high-post pass, calmly dribbles, and finishes.

A minor point - I just hope we're not going to get "The Stevens effect" though Stevens was a very good player. What I mean is that Stevens came over with a reputation of an ability to hit 3's. She was downright awful shooting 3's at UCONN.

I hope that isn't the same here with this player. It's not a great sign that she can't hit ft's. If she can't hit ft's then it means you can't give her the ball down low unless she is wide open late in games. SO if she goes into a funk and is missing 3's and she can't hit ft's -- then how good is she? There will be games she can't hit 3's.

Reaction Score
Good to have Dorka onboard, if she can hit 3’s it’ll bring a new element to the team. I’m curious as to what her arrival could due to team chemistry though. This could mean a bench role for Evina and Azzi, and less minutes for Griffin and Mir.
is not losing any PT to Dorka!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99