Dorka Juhasz transferring to UConn | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Dorka Juhasz transferring to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm late to the party here (for a change) but, I don't think I saw anybody say anything about matchups. Liv is not a good matchup against Boston but is a great high-post passer. I mentioned previously that I freaked out when she was jacking up 3s. But, if you put a banger down low on Boston (or that type center) and Liv at the top - that's going to be difficult, if not close to impossible to guard. And these physical players need more rest. With four experienced posts and DeBerry and Gabriel off the bench -dayum the future looks bright indeed.

Reaction Score
I
I'm late to the party here (for a change) but, I don't think I saw anybody say anything about matchups. Liv is not a good matchup against Boston but is a great high-post passer. I mentioned previously that I freaked out when she was jacking up 3s. But, if you put a banger down low on Boston (or that type center) and Liv at the top - that's going to be difficult, if not close to impossible to guard. And these physical players need more rest. With four experienced posts and DeBerry and Gabriel off the bench -dayum the future looks bright indeed.
Liv has a hard time functioning at the top as well because although she’s a good passer, she doesn’t consistently hit those shots so it doesn’t matter. Whoever guards her can sink low so that lower post becomes a non factor.

Reaction Score
She is.

But you may struggle to win more games than you'd like if one player is not very good offensively (and defensively).

Balance is usually best. Liv's game is not balanced.
She's earned the chance to prove she can shine in bigger moments...........I fully believe the talent is there........we have no idea how DJ will perform as a newbie in the UConn system...........it's amazing to me that some here are willing to think she should be taking ONO's spot as a starter without proving what she can do on the court........

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I imagine we will get a full interview with Dorka soon. Should be interesting. Not sure she will be WNBA material but Getting exposed to UConn will really beef up her international appeal.

Reaction Score
It looks like Geno is going to be pressing a lot more then they have been in the previous years. I think this will be one of the best teams fielded at UConn in many years. UConn is going to be bad for Women's Basketball again.:):):):)

The test is we'll see is what he does in big games. In the Big East he can't beat teams 120-30- 40. Thus how long can you press in most of your games? And how much better are you getting if you aren't pressing a a lot? Though he doesn't need to press to play a lot of players.

Stanford did have their pg play 40 in their last two games. And Lexi Hull did play 39 minutes vs SC. Only 33 vs Arizona - but about 4.5 minutes was due to foul trouble.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I am very excited about the addition of Dorka to the roster. She will make a very strong team even stronger.

And bigger!

Having a center who can shoot from the outside should create dilemmas for teams like Baylor and SC that prefer to keep Egbo and Boston in the paint on defense. It looks like she can rebound and score inside as well. And having five extra fouls to give should also help immensely. As Geno has suggested, we may be looking at 40 minutes of full court pressure basketball next season.

Olivia averaged 26 minutes a game last year, low compared to the other starters, and was in foul trouble a fair amount. So Dorka will get minutes one way or the other.

Interesting that Sopron (Hungary) is the best team in the Hungarian League, undefeated, and that Gabby Williams and Megan Walker are star players for Sopron. They are playing Lou and Tiffany`s team, Perfumerias Avenida, in the Euroleague semi-finals on April 16.

Did the fact that two former UConn players are killing it in her home country have any impact on her decision to come to UConn? Who knows, but it certainly didn`t hurt.

Some quick research indicates that some of Dorka`s 2017 U-19 FIBA teammates are currently playing in the Hungarian league. Her OSU bio indicates that she actually played for one of the teams in that league, PEAC-Pecs (her home town), as an amateur, and gotta believe she envisions playing in that league as a pro after her two successful seasons at UConn come to a close.

Reaction Score
She's earned the chance to prove she can shine in bigger moments...........I fully believe the talent is there........we have no idea how DJ will perform as a newbie in the UConn system...........it's amazing to me that some here are willing to think she should be taking ONO's spot as a starter without proving what she can do on the court........

I agree with that. Just offering though that the coach did mention if she remains the same - there's going to be a problem. It's hard for us to make leap that she'll be make a leap. Of course we've seen many players improve a lot their senior year. Never forget that Kellly couldn't shoot to save her life then her senior year she is shooting above 40% from 3.

In terms of starting - we all shouldn't care - its who finishes but we do get into it. Even I do too so I don't want to make believe I'm above it. I am NOT. :) :) But our center is offensively challenged. If she remains that way she's in peril for her usual number of standard minutes.

Reaction Score
Well, we've all seen what ONO can do in Big games consistently thru her 3 years - not much.

Reaction Score

Despite the demographic of the BY being older and hopefully wiser, quite a few people here have the new toy syndrome even if they have never seen how the new toy works.

Reaction Score
I agree with that. Just offering though that the coach did mention if she remains the same - there's going to be a problem. It's hard for us to make leap that she'll be make a leap. Of course we've seen many players improve a lot their senior year. Never forget that Kellly couldn't shoot to save her life then her senior year she is shooting above 40% from 3.

In terms of starting - we all shouldn't care - its who finishes but we do get into it. Even I do too so I don't want to make believe I'm above it. I am NOT. :) :) But our center is offensively challenged. If she remains that way she's in peril for her usual number of standard minutes.
When he said there's going to be a problem I'm not sure if he is referring to ONO, the team or both............frankly next season's team isn't going to need ONO scoring a whole lot of points even against the toughest opponents as I expect to be averaging 18 -20 points a game to make up for any short fall..........I also have a feeling the front court players are going to have a much easier time of it as defenses are forced to the three point line to guard Bueckers and Fudd all the time.....

Reaction Score
Wow......so many anti ONO fans on the BY these days.........while she hasn't produced on some big occasions, I think many of you folks don't appreciate how important she is as a defensive stopper and as a passer/screener from the high post on offense.........if you asked her teammates I think they'd tell you the same things....

Very true, & the team would be poorer without her no doubt. There’s also no debating she struggled against size and physicality. I’ve read many times the # of missed shots she had around the goal, but to me several of those were more throws than shots. It appeared in big games she played sped up, and was pressing, knowing she needed to score. To have more success she has to add counter moves to her drop step like a solid up and under move but, at least to me, the biggest improvement would come by her learning to play with a free mind. I have no idea if those are any of the adjustments her coach referenced publicly, but I’m guessing they are somewhere in the ballpark. JMO

Reaction Score
Hello, All. New BY follower this season but avid UConn WCB fan since '95. Been tracking Dorka potential transfer thread prior to this official announcement successor today, pulling for it to happen. My two cents, FWIW (echoing many on this thread), now that it has:

- Arms race at top. Stanford just won with talented depth including surfeit of versatile big's. I think Geno realizes that he has to take on-court demands up a notch to compete at top, based on Stanford & South Carolina size/depth/quality-- e.g. pressing, multiple looks, more perimeter shooting from big's, etc. This will require or necessitate playing into a deeper bench while handling specific match-up's & withstanding foul trouble. Will be very difficult to beat these teams playing 6-7 rotation while they are going with 8-10+ at similar size & skill level;

- Need multiple, interchangeable, & complementary posts to defend best C in country from other deep, loaded rival. Dorka adds another 5 fouls to use on Aliyah Boston & can play both outside & inside so fits with both ONO & AE playing high/low with former or spacing around latter traditional post-up;

- Freshman big's typically take longer to develop, partially due to adjustment to physicality of college game. AD is in the ONO mold as a versatile, finesse-oriented post more likely than not to need such time her 1st year. So limited minutes might behoove both her development & team's on-court fortunes, esp against elite opponents;

- Big 10 proved conference bona fide's with strong Tournament showing. Dorka has competed against likes of Naz Hillmon, Monica Czinano, etc.-- big, strong, skilled posts that are few & far between in Big East play but await UConn in Big Dance;

- Athletic, unrefined competitors like Aubrey Griffin & Mir McLean are undersized for their comfortable roles to-date as de facto front court big's. Both are tenacious on boards & strong defenders but cede clear size disadvantage vs. legit 4/5's. Therefore, both need to convert to wing players for high leverage minutes, which means developing their slashing games & at least mid-range shots, if not ability to hit unguarded 3-ball. This is likely only path to professional ball for either/both, as neither will be draft-worthy as anything other than a spacer-D wing. Adding Dorka pushes Aubrey to 3 spot for mutual betterment of both player & team. Mir should look to Aubrey as a model for her own development, just as I suspect ONO will be a model for Amari DeBerry as versatile finesse big vs. power post like Aliyah Edwards.

'Welcome your thoughts. Thanks for having me as BY participant

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
No doubt that Juhasz is a pretty good player, but since we are talking about highlights

Thanks for posting this. Liv looked so light and quick in this vid. And her short jumper after turning to the right came from a jump that was straight up.

Reaction Score
Hello, All. New BY follower this season but avid UConn WCB fan since '95. Been tracking Dorka potential transfer thread prior to this official announcement successor today, pulling for it to happen. My two cents, FWIW (echoing many on this thread), now that it has:

- Arms race at top. Stanford just won with talented depth including surfeit of versatile big's. I think Geno realizes that he has to take on-court demands up a notch to compete at top, based on Stanford & South Carolina size/depth/quality-- e.g. pressing, multiple looks, more perimeter shooting from big's, etc. This will require or necessitate playing into a deeper bench while handling specific match-up's & withstanding foul trouble. Will be very difficult to beat these teams playing 6-7 rotation while they are going with 8-10+ at similar size & skill level;

- Need multiple, interchangeable, & complementary posts to defend best C in country from other deep, loaded rival. Dorka adds another 5 fouls to use on Aliyah Boston & can play both outside & inside so fits with both ONO & AE playing high/low with former or spacing around latter traditional post-up;

- Freshman big's typically take longer to develop, partially due to adjustment to physicality of college game. AD is in the ONO mold as a versatile, finesse-oriented post more likely than not to need such time her 1st year. So limited minutes might behoove both her development & team's on-court fortunes, esp against elite opponents;

- Big 10 proved conference bona fide's with strong Tournament showing. Dorka has competed against likes of Naz Hillmon, Monica Czinano, etc.-- big, strong, skilled posts that are few & far between in Big East play but await UConn in Big Dance;

- Athletic, unrefined competitors like Aubrey Griffin & Mir McLean are undersized for their comfortable roles to-date as de facto front court big's. Both are tenacious on boards & strong defenders but cede clear size disadvantage vs. legit 4/5's. Therefore, both need to convert to wing players for high leverage minutes, which means developing their slashing games & at least mid-range shots, if not ability to hit unguarded 3-ball. This is likely only path to professional ball for either/both, as neither will be draft-worthy as anything other than a spacer-D wing. Adding Dorka pushes Aubrey to 3 spot for mutual betterment of both player & team. Mir should look to Aubrey as a model for her own development, just as I suspect ONO will be a model for Amari DeBerry as versatile finesse big vs. power post like Aliyah Edwards.

'Welcome your thoughts. Thanks for having me as BY participant
Very insightful analysis NameTwo. Welcome aboard !! Disagree slightly with you on Mir and Aubrey - obviously the more offense they can produce the better for them and the team, but I think they can contribute now with defense and rebounding.

Reaction Score
I think she's already a beast. She only played 18.5 min/game. Partially because of foul trouble in some games, but also largely because of their depth. You stretch her PT out to 30+ min/game and her already good stats get significantly better. She already set the single season blocked shot record at Stanford, in a shortened season in which she played limited minutes.

She might be somebody who just can't add 30 lbs. to her frame. I really don't think she needs to. She was plenty effective, and I really don't recall seeing her get pushed around on the court. She's a lot stronger than she looks.
She uses leverage surprisingly well, and doesn’t limit herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom