Dorka Juhasz transferring to UConn | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Dorka Juhasz transferring to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This isn’t intended as a dig at any of the current UConn posts, but for a team that got absolutely nothing from their post rotation in a Final Four loss, how could the addition of a skilled 6’4 threat from 3 levels be a bad thing? I’m sure Geno recognized that and went into the portal for reinforcements.

Stanford just won a championship with terrific depth. The post rotation was filled with different skillsets, which came in handy for foul trouble and if Tara simply wanted to go for a different look.

In general, if players aren’t interested in competing and getting better every day, what is the point? Take Brink as an example. She wasn’t even starting at the beginning of the season. She went to work and eventually turned into a major reason behind that championship. Prechtel wasn’t a starter either but worked all season and was a major contributor when it counted most in the NCAAs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder what Dorka’s arrival does to the makeup of the existing team. Not speculating about anyone (NOT allowed)... just wondering.
Good to have Dorka onboard, if she can hit 3’s it’ll bring a new element to the team. I’m curious as to what her arrival could due to team chemistry though. This could mean a bench role for Evina and Azzi, and less minutes for Griffin and Mir.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This isn’t intended as a dig at any of the current UConn posts, but for a team that got absolutely nothing from their post rotation in a Final Four loss, how could the addition of a skilled 6’4 threat from 3 levels be a bad thing? I’m sure Geno recognized that and went into the portal for reinforcements.

Stanford just won a championship with terrific depth. The post rotation was filled with different skillsets, which came in handy for foul trouble and if Tara simply wanted to go for a different look.

In general, if players aren’t interested in competing and getting better every day, what is the point? Take Brink as an example. She wasn’t even starting at the beginning of the season. She went to work and eventually turned into a major reason behind that championship. Prechtel wasn’t a starter either but worked all season and was a major contributor when it counted most in the NCAAs.
I have a feeling Geno wasn't really shopping for a player in the portal, but when a All Big10 post appeared and was interested he wasn't going to say no.

Reaction Score
second the Welcome, Dorka!

Topsy turvy? Yes, some say it, but "all catywumpus" is also common around here.
Topsy turvy is still used.
It’s some kind of upside down tomato plant system “as seen on TV”.

Reaction Score
200 minutes for all that talent. Does MM have some hidden skill set that will get her playing time? Does one injury make you a candidate for the Wally Pipp seat on the bench? Too many good players players can be a great situation for an All Star Team, not so much for the daily grind of the season.
My concern.

Reaction Score
Nice to have the Hungarian rifle, but i still miss our polish rifle.?
Now all we need is the Gnat rifle. Heck, with Hungary and Croatia being neighboring countries, wonder how often the two will hook up.

Just another Huskie recruiter for teenage European prospects !

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I don't know if there are that many volleyball fans here, but I could see Juhasz having a Madeleine Gates type of impact for UConn as Gates did for Stanford. She won't be the star (Plummer was for Stanford as Bueckers is for UConn) but she will be steady and smart. (Gates had 1 error the entire tournament and hit .529 in the National championship game and had the championship winning killing.) She'll always do what she's good at and she'll be consistent. She knows her role and loves to get rebounds and second chance points.

From what I've seen here in Columbus, she is super well liked and focused. I believe her father is a physician back in Pecs, so I'd imagine academics are important to her family. She may be around for two years, despite what others think.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Hungarians are obsessed with their food. The boneyard should bone up on such things as palatschinke, Dobos torte, kiffles, cabbage rolls, chicken paprika and Hungarian goulash. I know because I’m married to one.
My favorite recent discovery is rakott krumpli.

Reaction Score
As I predicted (and hoped), UConn landed a good "big" in the portal. Definitely provides some much needed physical presence to the team. UConn is not going to win a Title unless they improve their post play on both ends.

Reaction Score
I thought we had a really strong roster for next year and wouldn't need anyone else. That Geno disagrees is a bit disconcerting.
We had a flawed roster that couldn't score well enough on the inside. Liv is "offensively challenged" at this moment. She doesn't low post well, she doesn't shoot outside well, and she doesn't shoot ft's well. Without the move it would have been up to Liv to bring an offensive game or suffer the fate that eventually you're going to run into a dogged defensive team like Miss State, or Arizona that gives fits to your offense.

This move maybe counters that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So excited for this addition! I don't look at it as a log jam for minutes I look at it as the best D1 Women's basketball in the program going survival of the fittest. Let the competition shake out the playing time and whomever gets it will have earned it 1000x over. If you aren't making layups right under the basket I have 2 the players that can, and then some. You don't play defense like UCONN demands, I have 3 more players who do. Step up or step aside. Competition breeds excellence and I think this is such an amazing pick up for us.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I actually watched her play 2 games for tOSU - I think it was in the Big10 tourney. I was impressed with her.

3 things stood out to me.
  • She is a competent 3 point shooter (not great but neither is Boston, for example, and good enough where you probably need to step out and guard her)
  • She is NOT afraid to bang in the post on both ends of the floor
  • She scores THROUGH contact - not only making layps, but with a variety of hook shots.
She's different from both Liv and Aaliyah. Liv and Liya can both hit a mid-range jumper so that's not my point. When both of them are around the basket...
  • Liya is a banger so most of the time she will try to barrel thru for a layup
  • Liv is a finesse player - not only did she miss a ton of layups in traffic, but her "go-to" is the fade away
Dorka is in between. She seems perfectly happy to bang away and score thru contact but also seems to have a variety of hook shots so if she's pushed away from the basket, instead of the fade away, or trying to muscle her way to the hoop, she will toss up a hook or loop shot over the defender.

I have no idea of the % accuracy of those shots. In her highlight videos of course she makes them all. At UCONN, with way more talent than tOSU, Geno may want her to pass the ball in that situation. We will see. I wonder how she would be at the top of the key - both Stef and Gabby were masters of playing from that spot, both with very different skill sets and decisions, but I have a feeling we are going to like her a LOT!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow......so many anti ONO fans on the BY these days.........while she hasn't produced on some big occasions, I think many of you folks don't appreciate how important she is as a defensive stopper and as a passer/screener from the high post on offense.........if you asked her teammates I think they'd tell you the same things....

She is.

But you may struggle to win more games than you'd like if one player is not very good offensively (and defensively).

Balance is usually best. Liv's game is not balanced.

Reaction Score
This is a good pickup. As Geno says, the minutes will sort themselves out. When a talented veteran player comes your way you have to make room. Dorka will be a great transition player as our young bigs learn the system. Of course we'll have to see how quickly Dorka gets used to UConn bball. I'm betting she can hardly wait to play with Paige and be the recipient of her assists.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I've really enjoyed watching Juhasz the last couple of years. She is a great combination of strength, size, and finesse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom