Doris Burke "NOT" the President of the Saniya Chong Fan Club | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Doris Burke "NOT" the President of the Saniya Chong Fan Club

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nothing personal, simply just would like to see praised given when it should and criticism handed out when it should, equitably across the board, for all players on both team, from Doris Burke, exactly like Kara Lawson and Rebecca Lobo does for ESPN and Meg Cuomo does for SNY (nothing more and nothing less).
That is exactly what you are getting, unfortunate that you can't recognize it.

Reaction Score
That is exactly what you are getting, unfortunate that you can't recognize it.

exactly- watch out Siskel & Ebert some on this board will next be critiquing your critiques. Lets talk basketball.

Reaction Score
I haven't been attuned to this issue, but it sounds like you may have a good case.
I will say, though, that I don't care for Doris' commentary at all. She has always questioned calls against UConn opponents and rarely questions calls against UConn. Moreover, she is never quiet, and often is talking about other stuff while the game is going on.
But for this game, I avoided all the stress that builds up when I listen to her and her usual partner (I like Lawson). I muted the sound and tuned into WTIC radio! What a joy to listen to commentators who are staying focused on the game and doing a good job.
Doris, over the past few years, appears to try to get more personal PR by being more controversial. Her post SC question to Gabby about being the best player in the nation a good example. Gabby played the best game of her life but not sure Doris's question was any more than a way for Doris to get her name in the press machine.

Reaction Score
I am no Doris fan, but if this is what everyone is harping about, she said nothing wrong. It was a horrible shot. What she said about the charges was dead on. Just like what she said about the offensive charge called against Pheesa.
Doris is often wrong but we all make mistakes. Anyone who can have a knowledgeable conversation about UConn and women's basketball has my support. Doris is part of small group that understands and adds value to the sports world with her knowledge.

Reaction Score
Doris did a radio interview before the South Carolina game where she said she had ESPN pull highlights of the big shots that Saniya has hit to talk about during the game because she wanted to acknowledge Chong's play. The right moment to play that highlight package didn't appear during the game, but Doris certainly recognizes Chong's play.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I don't agree with every point made by Chong-Master, but I too have observed Saniya has been covered unfairly, alongside some current praise.

It began with the 2014 Stanford loss, when she played an excellent game (with some mistakes, like every other Husky who played). But Doris continously declared her defense was horrible.

I'd guess this belabored commentary was derived from her game preparation. I suspect the coaches -- probably A coach -- while talking to her about the upcoming game, bitched about her defense.

I watched a replay of that game the other day and found that Chong's defense was fine, often good, with a few mistakes like every other member of the team.

Even though she scored 18 (?) points, more than all but Stewie, she wasn't starting in the next game. We don't know why. Maybe Geno just felt Kia was better in the role, or was 'sending a message' to Saniya about poor practices or something. (And maybe she took the message as an indictment instead of as a challenge, thus destroying her confidence for a long while.) Whatever, we just don't know the reason -- but still a reason had to be found. Some in the BY seized on the idea that the reason was that Chong sucked on defense, in the Stanford game and always.

I suspect the 'expert' analysis of Doris predisposed BYers to that conclusion. Saniya's 'poor' defense became a false narrative -- if it were true, then it was true for most of the team.

Thereafter, a continuing mantra was that Chong sucked at defense (just as many other Huskies, according to Geno's famous 'motivational' comments, did). 'Twas unfair for the media, and some of us, to collar her with that.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with every point made by Chong-Master, but I too have observed Saniya has been covered unfairly, alongside some current praise.

It began with the 2014 Stanford loss, when she played an excellent game (with some mistakes, like every other Husky who played). But Doris continously declared her defense was horrible.

I'd guess this belabored commentary was derived from her game preparation. I suspect the coaches -- probably A coach -- while talking to her about the upcoming game, bitched about her defense.

I watched a replay of that game the other day and found that Chong's defense was fine, often good, with a few mistakes like every other member of the team.

Even though she scored 18 (?) points, more than all but Stewie, she wasn't starting in the next game. We don't know why. Maybe Geno just felt Kia was better in the role, or was 'sending a message' to Saniya about poor practices or something. (And maybe she took the message as an indictment instead of as a challenge, thus destroying her confidence for a long while.) Whatever, we just don't know the reason -- but still a reason had to be found. Some in the BY seized on the idea that the reason was that Chong sucked on defense, in the Stanford game and always.

I suspect the 'expert' analysis of Doris predisposed BYers to that conclusion. Saniya's 'poor' defense became a false narrative -- if it were true, then it was true for most of the team.

Thereafter, a continuing mantra was that Chong sucked at defense (just as many other Huskies, according to Geno's famous 'motivational' comments, did). 'Twas unfair for the media, and some of us, to collar her with that.

Geno said numerous times, Chong may have scored 18 points, but gave up even more. Look, announcers aren't there to say how great someone is or isn't playing, but should be telling it like it is. And before this year, Chong was very inconsistant and lacked the confidence needed to receive regular minutes. Yes, she has made big shots, but they have been far and few between.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Geno said, "Yeah, she scored 20, but she gave up 30."

He's said similar with many others players. Motivational, you know. Hyperbole. Please don't take all Geno says literally.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Saniya's needing to play better defense was not a false narrative. The BY was not the origin of the narrative unless you consider Jim Fuller to be part of the BY.
" Only reigning national player of the year Breanna Stewart and All-American Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis had more points in the first two regular-season games than the 32 scored by Chong. However, her defensive struggles came into play during an overtime loss to Stanford so despite scoring a career-high 20 points against the Cardinal, Chong’s brief tenure as a starter came to an end.'
Saniya Chong adjusts to coming off bench for Huskies
I'm not sure there needs to be a narrative at all because it is a simple as UCONN had a better option =Kia Nurse.
Kiah Stokes was also taken out of the UCONN starting line up at the same time. Kiah is among best UCONN defense players ever, UCONN had a better option=Morgan Tuck. If there is to be a narrative then it should be about the best player playing/starting. Geno and staff seem to get that right at a extremely high rate. Us fans seem to get our feeling hurt
because we all have "our" favorite players.

Reaction Score
I didn't really hear her be critical of a specific player... she was critical on several calls throughout the game. She does go off topic or uses other references a little too much, but she's still better than most. I absolutely love Kara. She has her stuff together. I love Rebecca as well... she makes me laugh several times during the game she's calling.

Soniya's play this year has been stellar. She stopped thinking and started reacting. Making a world of difference.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, there are some announcers who seem to think they've become bigger than the games they're announcing, and they've fallen in love with the sound of their own voice. "Dollar" Bill Walton is example No. 1, and he has no close seconds. Vitale also qualifies for this club, and Doris is flirting with becoming a member.

Now, there's a trio I would love to have broadcast UConn's next game, who will get the last line in?

Reaction Score
All the other schools hate her. Their forums all seem to indicate that the sound is turned off for them to be able to listen to her.
Personally I don't care. As long as SNY never airs that Bank commercial they overplayed last year.

Reaction Score
I don't know that Doris dwells on Saniya's mistakes repeatedly. I did feel that in this game, her harping on the "bad" shot Saniya took was excessive. She was open although it was early in the shot clock and she can nail that shot.
When Lou fouled Wilson on a breakaway that she had no chance of disrupting, Doris did not say a word. I thought that was an even poorer choice. Maybe Doris had another story she wanted to tell instead..
Actually Doris pointed out, correctly, that Lou did not touch her.

Reaction Score
I don't like Doris and her mono tone. And I did noticed how she has been quick to criticize Chong a lot. Maybe she has something against Chong.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Doris Burke has always made my ears bleed. I can't ever recall her giving praise or making a fair comment about UConn or a UConn player. Thank God for the mute button!
We're being trolled.

This is just not a possible claim. I don't think I've ever accused anyone of trolling, but I can't think of another possibility, unless they haven't actually ever listened to her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom