Doris Burke "NOT" the President of the Saniya Chong Fan Club | The Boneyard

Doris Burke "NOT" the President of the Saniya Chong Fan Club

Reaction Score
Last evening, as I watched this very exciting game against South Carolina, with the ESPN Analyst Team of Doris Burke and Kara Lawson, I was hoping to hear a fair and equitable analysis of the play by play both. Sadly "AGAIN" while Kara Lawson continued her fair and balanced analysis of the game, and notably the players on the court for both teams, Doris Burke "CONTINUED" her apparent (at least to me) bias against Saniya Chong's game. Outside of the errant 3 point attempt in the 2nd half, that I agree (as would Saniya Chong if you would ask her today) was not a smart shot to take at that point in the game, I feel that Saniya's overall game last night (Especially on the defensive end) was ROCK SOLID. However, Doris Burke continued to slam Saniya's game, being critical every chance she had, and when Saniya had a moment in the game where she 'shined' Doris had NOTHING to say (however, Kara Lawson was quick to mention how well Saniya has played this season). What put the dagger in my back, was the great play that Saniya made, taking the charge call, late in the game. But there was Doris Burke, coming on an saying that the charge call was 'questionable' at best. If Doris's style is to be super critical, then fine, but make it across the board for all of the players, on both teams (UCONN and South Carolina).

Sorry folks, but I for one, has gotten very tired of Doris Burke as a Women's Basketball Analyst for ESPN and believe that Kara Lawson is leaps and bounds better than Doris Burke (as it Meg Cuomo for SNY)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Last evening, as I watched this very exciting game against South Carolina, with the ESPN Analyst Team of Doris Burke and Kara Lawson, I was hoping to hear a fair and equitable analysis of the play by play both. Sadly "AGAIN" while Kara Lawson continued her fair and balanced analysis of the game, and notably the players on the court for both teams, Doris Burke "CONTINUED" her apparent (at least to me) bias against Saniya Chong's game. Outside of the errant 3 point attempt in the 2nd half, that I agree (as would Saniya Chong if you would ask her today) was not a smart shot to take at that point in the game, I feel that Saniya's overall game last night (Especially on the defensive end) was ROCK SOLID. However, Doris Burke continued to slam Saniya's game, being critical every chance she had, and when Saniya had a moment in the game where she 'shined' Doris had NOTHING to say (however, Kara Lawson was quick to mention how well Saniya has played this season). What put the dagger in my back, was the great play that Saniya made, taking the charge call, late in the game. But there was Doris Burke, coming on an saying that the charge call was 'questionable' at best. If Doris's style is to be super critical, then fine, but make it across the board for all of the players, on both teams (UCONN and South Carolina).

Sorry folks, but I for one, has gotten very tired of Doris Burke as a Women's Basketball Analyst for ESPN and believe that Kara Lawson is leaps and bounds better than Doris Burke (as it Meg Cuomo for SNY)
While Doris Burke is a usually good advocate for WBB, I often wonder what game she is watching with her color commentary. Last night, for instance, she rails against the charging call that Saniya drew late in the game, demanding that the refs, "let them play." At the same time she says nothing about the atrocious charging call against Pheesa that takes away a potential 3-pt play and fouls her out of the game.

Kara Lawson is the best color commentator in basketball, not just WBB. She does her homework. She is concise with her comments and she is always insightful

Reaction Score
I haven't been attuned to this issue, but it sounds like you may have a good case.
I will say, though, that I don't care for Doris' commentary at all. She has always questioned calls against UConn opponents and rarely questions calls against UConn. Moreover, she is never quiet, and often is talking about other stuff while the game is going on.
But for this game, I avoided all the stress that builds up when I listen to her and her usual partner (I like Lawson). I muted the sound and tuned into WTIC radio! What a joy to listen to commentators who are staying focused on the game and doing a good job.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interestingly enough, while cruising through the frontier that is the back roads of Tolland on the way to the game, last night, I was listening to WTIC. Burke was being interviewed and made it clear that, as amazing as Gabby and others are, it is Chong's rock-steady play that has been the key to the UConn season. Furthermore, she also said that of all the players, Saniya's growth over last year has been the most impressive.

That last could be considered a little backhanded, given that it connotes that Saniya wasn't much of an asset last year, but she really wasn't, so I am not taking it that way.

I don't think that she means any harm. But then again, I am known to be SUCH a kind, considerate person...:eek:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No idea what you're talking about re anti Chong comments. I can't think of one.

The charge WAS questionable, and was mostly makeup IMO for the bad call on Collier.
Gotta agree, I have no idea what the Chong-Master is talking about. I'm thinking the Chong-Master might be a bit partial.

Reaction Score
I have always dislikes Doris' tendency to critique the referees more than the game. I still haven't gotten over her saying that the referees shouldn't have made a call in a NC game because e"there aren't enough stars in WCBB and you cant risk fouling them out!"

Reaction Score
Doris Burke has always made my ears bleed. I can't ever recall her giving praise or making a fair comment about UConn or a UConn player. Thank God for the mute button!

Reaction Score
One of the most inaccurate statements in BY history, and that's saying something.

I didn't say she hasn't, I said I couldn't recall her doing so. And I've been watching UConn for over 20 years now.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I tend to mute the sound for most of any UConn game. I figure my own commentary is wisdom enough.
But I have heard Doris on an occasional sports talk show being interviewed about UConn.
One of those times was Monday morning on Mike and Mike. Doris comes across in these interviews as a huge UConn/Geno fan...period.

Reaction Score
I didn't say she hasn't, I said I couldn't recall her doing so. And I've been watching UConn for over 20 years now.

umm, what? She praises UConn while broadcasting games that UConn isn't even playing in. You're clearly so bias that you tune out anything she says that you might agree with....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No idea what you're talking about re anti Chong comments. I can't think of one.

The charge WAS questionable, and was mostly makeup IMO for the bad call on Collier.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, as well, but look at the reply. In my opinon (and yes, its just my opinon) Chong was clearly planted herself in the paint and the charge call was a good one.

Yes, Doris Burke is a huge UCONN Women's Basketball Fan, going on many EPSN Shows, touting the accomplishments of the team. However, my point concerning all of this, is that I would like to see, during a ESPN Broadcast, just one time where Doris Burke comes on and presents equitable praise (as well as criticism) regarding Sanyia Chong's game this season. (if one remembers during some of the earlier games broadcast this year by ESPN, Doris Burke was 'very quick' to say that she felt that Crystal Dangerfield would eventually take over crucial minutes on the floor during the season, over Saniya Chong,. Yes, at that time, many people questioned whether or not Saniya would be up for the challenge this season, and we all know how the season has progressed and where things stand on the team (no doubt understanding that Crystal is a true talent and an outstanding player in her own right).

PS - It was interesting that while Kara Lawson was somewhat crtiical of KLS's overall game last evening, mentioning it on a few occasions, I never heard Doris Burke make any mention of how KLS was playing last night.

Nothing personal, simply just would like to see praised given when it should and criticism handed out when it should, equitably across the board, for all players on both team, from Doris Burke, exactly like Kara Lawson and Rebecca Lobo does for ESPN and Meg Cuomo does for SNY (nothing more and nothing less).

Reaction Score

Never been a fan of Burke.

Can anyone put up the link to the game replay?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Of course you are entitled to your opinion, as well, but look at the reply. In my opinon (and yes, its just my opinon) Chong was clearly planted herself in the paint and the charge call was a good one.

Yes, Doris Burke is a huge UCONN Women's Basketball Fan, going on many EPSN Shows, touting the accomplishments of the team. However, my point concerning all of this, is that I would like to see, during a ESPN Broadcast, just one time where Doris Burke comes on and presents equitable praise (as well as criticism) regarding Sanyia Chong's game this season. (if one remembers during some of the earlier games broadcast this year by ESPN, Doris Burke was 'very quick' to say that she felt that Crystal Dangerfield would eventually take over crucial minutes on the floor during the season, over Saniya Chong,. Yes, at that time, many people questioned whether or not Saniya would be up for the challenge this season, and we all know how the season has progressed and where things stand on the team (no doubt understanding that Crystal is a true talent and an outstanding player in her own right).

PS - It was interesting that while Kara Lawson was somewhat crtiical of KLS's overall game last evening, mentioning it on a few occasions, I never heard Doris Burke make any mention of how KLS was playing last night.

Nothing personal, simply just would like to see praised given when it should and criticism handed out when it should, equitably across the board, for all players on both team, from Doris Burke, exactly like Kara Lawson and Rebecca Lobo does for ESPN and Meg Cuomo does for SNY (nothing more and nothing less).
It looked good in real time to me, but I think an argument could be made that Saniya was still moving in super-slow mo. Regardless, it was good (and gutsy) play and she got the call.

Far more important than what the commentators say is the fact that Saniya is having a really good season this and appears to be having a blast doing it. I've said this before, but her play is one of the little sub-narratives that keep me engaged against lesser opponents. Hers is a great story of overcoming adversity. I am very happy for her.

Reaction Score
As usual, I watched the game with the sound off. Why should we listen anyway? When we go to games, we just watch. We're certainly smart enough to know who's doing what and how without the announcers telling us. I often do that with sports and really like it.

When I do have the sound on--for games where I don't know the players--most of the time I can't stand listening to Doris (although I do admire her spunk). I think she's (terrible to say, but we're being candid)--not very smart. She is slow to grasp things and, when she does, usually grasps them simplistically and then won't let go of what she's "discovered," repeating them like a mantra. So, she's usually a couple of insights behind the rest of us. But she does have heart, so I do admire her in other ways.

Reaction Score
As usual, I watched the game with the sound off. Why should we listen anyway? When we go to games, we just watch. We're certainly smart enough to know who's doing what and how without the announcers telling us. I often do that with sports and really like it.

When I do have the sound on--for games where I don't know the players--most of the time I can't stand listening to Doris (although I do admire her spunk). I think she's (terrible to say, but we're being candid)--not very smart. She is slow to grasp things and, when she does, usually grasps them simplistically and then won't let go of what she's "discovered," repeating them like a mantra. So, she's usually a couple of insights behind the rest of us. But she does have heart, so I do admire her in other ways.
ESPN has gotten super annoying. Whistles blow and not a comment. Critical plays to start the second half and we're listening to Staley's half time interview. I just wish for a game where there were just two talking heads: one does a strict play by play, the other provides color in single sentences. These 3-4 person teams with all the production stuff and conversations that go on for several minutes are just irritating.

Reaction Score
The call against Saniya was questionable because she turned sideways. She id say that the call on Napheesa was wrong, and she said that Katie Lou did not foul A'ja Wilson on her drive to the basket. I enjoy Dave O'Brien and Doris Burke. To say she's slow at grasping things is way off the mark. You don't like her. I get it. Your criticism is unfair. Yes, I would enjoy Kara being part of a three person broadcast booth.

Reaction Score
Saniya sold the call well, but in slow mo you could see that she leaned in front of the S. Car. player at the last second. They were going to give her the call as a makeup after the Pheesa horrible call anyway. Saniya might even have thought of that as she readied herself. Everyone knew that the ref had totally blown the call the other way. The defender was well within the arc, she was still moving, and undercut Napheesa. One of the worst calls ever and the ref himself probably knew it. Pretty sure same ref made both calls.

As for Doris, she has that sound of self-importance that many commentators have, just to a higher degree. She is not that smart and tries to cover it with a few vocabulary words she has picked up along the way. I don't like the way she "comports" herself sometimes. And the talking over the game is quite annoying. But I think it is a symptom of the way ESPN does things. They used to be the only big thing in sports and their position has led them to arrogantly ignore improving. That is why Doris and so many of their commentators never say anything, they pontificate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom