Doris Burke "NOT" the President of the Saniya Chong Fan Club | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Doris Burke "NOT" the President of the Saniya Chong Fan Club

Reaction Score
I like Doris Burke! Ever since she once said on TV that she wished that she had played for Geno in college, I have had a high regard for her.

She is doing her job as she has been told and as she has defined it. I have no problem with that.

Last night she made the comment when South Carolina was in the lead for a short period of time that this could be a "program changing moment" for South Carolina, should they continue and beat UConn. And what that would mean for South Carolina and future recruiting for South Carolina. Well, not last night! But, she is entitled to interject all of the drama and sensationalism into her broadcast that she likes.

Kara is great too!

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Good grief, you'd think people would take 24 hours to enjoy the 100th consecutive victory but, no, let's complain about something irrelevant.

Geno knows Saniya's value, her teammates know, and the fans know. Who cares what Doris thinks, although I think you are reaching really far for that perceived insult.

Stop with the common sense, will ya? Enough veracity. We live in the days of "motley facts." LOL.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good grief, you'd think people would take 24 hours to enjoy the 100th consecutive victory but, no, let's complain about something irrelevant.

Geno knows Saniya's value, her teammates know, and the fans know. Who cares what Doris thinks, although I think you are reaching really far for that perceived insult.
Yep and take the time to enjoy # 100 before wading into the debate of whether we'll make it to (an insane) 200. Although truth be told my mind has wondered to how long can this possibly go on a few occasions. Will Geno catch Pat in total wins? Will he catch Tara? Great questions, but you can't let them get in the way of way of enjoying the history happening before our eyes. This is really amazing and I for one am content to enjoy the moments as they happen.

Last edited:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Not a huge Doris Burke fan (do like Lawson a lot), but respect her knowledge of the game and I don`t think she has a bias against UConn. On the contrary she is very complimentary of the program and was a full-throated voice last year in support of the excellence of the UConn program during the Shaughnessy kerfuffle.

Also, she was interviewed on Joe D`Ambrosio`s radio show yesterday afternoon and she went out of her way to praise Saniya.

But, did anyone else notice that last night she was DRESSED IN SOUTH CAROLINA COLORS? Not suggesting at all it is evidence of bias or anything like that, just seemed very odd.

Reaction Score
Its not the job of Doris to be the President of a players fan club. There were many calls I thought were very questionable including the charge calls that went Saniya's way. It is her job however to talk about them. I was as happy as anyone that UConn got the calls but i would say the bigger issue was the refs awful performance, both ways, rather then Doris analyzing the call.
Five years ago Doris thought it was her job to count Skylar Diggins's followers on twitter. She paused a moment near the end and said to her broadcast partner "They're down almost THIRTY?????

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

C'mon, Nan. We're UConn fans. Following two seconds of postgame contemplation after a big victory, we see, identify and discuss the ominous, dark, thunderhead cloud approaching us in the middle of the Sahara Desert. Even Geno sets this tone. Remember him critiquing player performance during the video session at the hotel after the 1995 FF? The players were throwing things at him, and undoubtedly messing up his hair.

Reaction Score
Five years ago Doris thought it was her job to count Skylar Diggins's followers on twitter. She paused a moment near the end and said to her broadcast partner "They're down almost THIRTY?????
Not really sure what that has to do with anything that I said.

Reaction Score
Doris Burke maybe a champion of WBB and Uconn but she has continually bashed Chong for the past 4 years. I bet if someone else had drawn that charge (Kia, Lou...) all we would have heard was what a great play it was. I have been sick of the Chong Bashing for the past four years.
She had another solid game last night and is putting together a great season on her way out the door. Congrats to her.
Good thing she was there last night to play good D and steady the offense, Kia attempted to play lame, hope Gino has enough sense to rest her and let that ankle heel until crunch time.
As for Lou, she was pretty poor last night but I think the continual beating she took had something to do with that, SC bigs were BIG and played like they were in the WWE.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Doris Burke has always made my ears bleed. I can't ever recall her giving praise or making a fair comment about UConn or a UConn player. Thank God for the mute button!

ugh boy.gif

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Doris does a lot of games at multiple levels and is a knowledgeable champion of WCBB and UConn's excellence. She loves Geno, as evidenced in her saying that she would have loved to play for him. She also made the classic comment about Geno having the best "package" in the game.

That said, Doris does wear on me, expecially with her overuse of "comport" and "extraordinary." But that's just a personal thing for me.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Doris Burke maybe a champion of WBB and Uconn but she has continually bashed Chong for the past 4 years. I bet if someone else had drawn that charge (Kia, Lou..) all we would have heard was what a great play it was. I have been sick of the Chong Bashing for the past four years.
She had another solid game last night and is putting together a great season on her way out the door. Congrats to her.
Good thing she was there last night to play good D and steady the offense, Kia attempted to play lame, hope Gino has enough sense to rest her and let that ankle heel until crunch time.
As for Lou, she was pretty poor last night but I think the continual beating she took had something to do with that, SC bigs were BIG and played like they were in the WWE.

It looked like Staley had gotten a hold of some old VHS tapes of UConn vs. Rutgers and was running Charlene's game plan to a tee. Beat 'em up physically and hope they wilt, because you'll never have the horses to beat 'em fair and square. It rarely worked for Rutgers, and Staley found out the hard way that it isn't going to work against this UConn team either.

Reaction Score
While I do think Doris goes outta her way sometimes not to sound bias in favor of UConn, you really seem to be reaching for things to be angry about.
I can't stand her blabber mouth, And she is not a Uconn fan at all.

Reaction Score
I like Doris Burke! Ever since she once said on TV that she wished that she had played for Geno in college, I have had a high regard for her.

She is doing her job as she has been told and as she has defined it. I have no problem with that.

Last night she made the comment when South Carolina was in the lead for a short period of time that this could be a "program changing moment" for South Carolina, should they continue and beat UConn. And what that would mean for South Carolina and future recruiting for South Carolina. Well, not last night! But, she is entitled to interject all of the drama and sensationalism into her broadcast that she likes.

Kara is great too!

Kara is the Best. Doris should shut up once in awhile and learn from Kara, Instead of trying to out talk everyone else doing the game.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Kara is the Best. Doris should shut up once in awhile and learn from Kara, Instead of trying to out talk everyone else doing the game.

They had three people on the game mikes, four if you count Holly. That is a director's nightmare, IMHO. Three is typical for ESPN. Beyond that, everybody in Gampel was charged up (it seemed), and I think Doris was too adrenal and ended up with a so-so performance, not at her best. I replayed the game with a closer ear to the PBP and color. Not a great telecast, but certainly not a real bad production either. Some folks here seem awfully whiney about the game, the players, the media, and probably their pet goldfish.

Cripes, people. It's a game. It's entertainment. UConn won. Please enjoy?

Reaction Score
Doris Burke has always made my ears bleed. I can't ever recall her giving praise or making a fair comment about UConn or a UConn player. Thank God for the mute button!
Please stop. You're not even close.

Reaction Score
Last evening, as I watched this very exciting game against South Carolina, with the ESPN Analyst Team of Doris Burke and Kara Lawson, I was hoping to hear a fair and equitable analysis of the play by play both. Sadly "AGAIN" while Kara Lawson continued her fair and balanced analysis of the game, and notably the players on the court for both teams, Doris Burke "CONTINUED" her apparent (at least to me) bias against Saniya Chong's game. Outside of the errant 3 point attempt in the 2nd half, that I agree (as would Saniya Chong if you would ask her today) was not a smart shot to take at that point in the game, I feel that Saniya's overall game last night (Especially on the defensive end) was ROCK SOLID. However, Doris Burke continued to slam Saniya's game, being critical every chance she had, and when Saniya had a moment in the game where she 'shined' Doris had NOTHING to say (however, Kara Lawson was quick to mention how well Saniya has played this season). What put the dagger in my back, was the great play that Saniya made, taking the charge call, late in the game. But there was Doris Burke, coming on an saying that the charge call was 'questionable' at best. If Doris's style is to be super critical, then fine, but make it across the board for all of the players, on both teams (UCONN and South Carolina).

Sorry folks, but I for one, has gotten very tired of Doris Burke as a Women's Basketball Analyst for ESPN and believe that Kara Lawson is leaps and bounds better than Doris Burke (as it Meg Cuomo for SNY)

As far as the two charges... I agree with Burke that they weren't fouls.
What I didn't like is that she didn't give Saniya any praise for putting herself in position and selling the charge to the officials.
I believe what got the CHONG-MASTER so upset was when Chong shot an airball and Burke said the following:
"that was not a good shot and that's the one you see on film if your Saniya Chong...and her reaction was priceless after she shot it...she sort of leaned her head over...that's probably not the smartest thing I've done"
(after some praise for Saniya by O'Brien, who seemed to come to her defense, and a three pointer for South Carolina)
Burke says: "but that's that's a big change and that's why her taking that shot...what's important...right...you miss because you take a bad shot that could be considered a turnover and then they make a three"

Speaking of Saniya she has made her last 22 foul shots and her assist to turnover ratio has increased to 4.89!

Reaction Score
They had three people on the game mikes, four if you count Holly. That is a director's nightmare, IMHO. Three is typical for ESPN. Beyond that, everybody in Gampel was charged up (it seemed), and I think Doris was too adrenal and ended up with a so-so performance, not at her best. I replayed the game with a closer ear to the PBP and color. Not a great telecast, but certainly not a real bad production either. Some folks here seem awfully whiney about the game, the players, the media, and probably their pet goldfish.

Cripes, people. It's a game. It's entertainment. UConn won. Please enjoy?

Wish you were a goldfish so i can flush you down the toilet!

Reaction Score
Last evening, as I watched this very exciting game against South Carolina, with the ESPN Analyst Team of Doris Burke and Kara Lawson, I was hoping to hear a fair and equitable analysis of the play by play both. Sadly "AGAIN" while Kara Lawson continued her fair and balanced analysis of the game, and notably the players on the court for both teams, Doris Burke "CONTINUED" her apparent (at least to me) bias against Saniya Chong's game. Outside of the errant 3 point attempt in the 2nd half, that I agree (as would Saniya Chong if you would ask her today) was not a smart shot to take at that point in the game, I feel that Saniya's overall game last night (Especially on the defensive end) was ROCK SOLID. However, Doris Burke continued to slam Saniya's game, being critical every chance she had, and when Saniya had a moment in the game where she 'shined' Doris had NOTHING to say (however, Kara Lawson was quick to mention how well Saniya has played this season). What put the dagger in my back, was the great play that Saniya made, taking the charge call, late in the game. But there was Doris Burke, coming on an saying that the charge call was 'questionable' at best. If Doris's style is to be super critical, then fine, but make it across the board for all of the players, on both teams (UCONN and South Carolina).

Sorry folks, but I for one, has gotten very tired of Doris Burke as a Women's Basketball Analyst for ESPN and believe that Kara Lawson is leaps and bounds better than Doris Burke (as it Meg Cuomo for SNY)
I watched the game again last night. It seems to me that Doris Burke tends to dwell on Saniya's mistakes more then the rest of the team. She was harping on a 3 pointer that didn't go in like she's not qualified to take those shots but yet Kia (or any others) can take same shot and miss and she says nothing. They were talking so much that they didn't notice Kia left the game and ran down the tunnel with the trainer until she was out of sight. I'm also surprised Geno didn't pull Kia earlier. If you watch the replay you can see where Kia gets tripped up (you could miss it if you weren't looking for it) early in the game and she played on it and it was obvious something wasn't right.

Reaction Score
I like Doris and she's super knowledgeable. But sometimes (also during mens games) we don't know what the h@ll she's talking about.

Reaction Score
As far as the two charges.. I agree with Burke that they weren't fouls.
What I didn't like is that she didn't give Saniya any praise for putting herself in position and selling the charge to the officials.
I believe what got the CHONG-MASTER so upset was when Chong shot an airball and Burke said the following:
"that was not a good shot and that's the one you see on film if your Saniya Chong..and her reaction was priceless after she shot it..she sort of leaned her head over..that's probably not the smartest thing I've done"
(after some praise for Saniya by O'Brien, who seemed to come to her defense, and a three pointer for South Carolina)
Burke says: "but that's that's a big change and that's why her taking that shot..what's important..right..you miss because you take a bad shot that could be considered a turnover and then they make a three"

Speaking of Saniya she has made her last 22 foul shots and her assist to turnover ratio has increased to 4.89!

I am no Doris fan, but if this is what everyone is harping about, she said nothing wrong. It was a horrible shot. What she said about the charges was dead on. Just like what she said about the offensive charge called against Pheesa.

Reaction Score
I disagree. What she said about Chong was very true. It's not like Doris don't like Chong's game because I think she loves Geno and Uconn. Doris is an basketball analyst that knows her stuff. Yes Chong had a soso career at Uconn up until this point and that shot she took was a bad shot but me with the momentum I understood Chong taking that shot. She was trying to put the dagger in SC.

Reaction Score
I don't know that Doris dwells on Saniya's mistakes repeatedly. I did feel that in this game, her harping on the "bad" shot Saniya took was excessive. She was open although it was early in the shot clock and she can nail that shot.
When Lou fouled Wilson on a breakaway that she had no chance of disrupting, Doris did not say a word. I thought that was an even poorer choice. Maybe Doris had another story she wanted to tell instead...

Reaction Score
I would like to see Doris Burke provide both critical analysis as well as commentary on positive contributions made by ALL players from both sides during her coverage of UCONN Women's Basketball. Yes, and deservedly so, for Sanyia Chong's first 3 years as a UCONN Husky, her play has not been up to the expectations of the program. And thru the past 3 years, Doris Burke has been critical of Saniya's game. However, we all have seen what a superb season Saniya is having during her final and Senior Year campaign. I am just saying that I would like to hear Doris come on a UCONN broadcast and make mention, during the broadcast, on how well Saniya has contributed to the team this and notably any plays made during the game that warrants positive comment. (it just appears to me, that Doris just doesn't want to make any positive comments towards Saniya's play). Just want to see it equitable across the board for everyone on both teams. That, to me, is "responsible and professional journalism"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom