Donyell Tweet - Fractured UConn "family" | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Donyell Tweet - Fractured UConn "family"

Reaction Score
what would we do without one completely snarky BS remark
DM is a legend and I listen to what he has to say
This has nothing to do with CCSU
Up to this point, DH hasn't come close to recruit anyone like Donyell, zoom or no zoom-- maybe you never saw him play or knew the man
What do hurley’s recruits have to do with it?

what does my memory of his games have to do with the fact he doesn’t need to do this publicly?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Someone actually didn’t know the difference between Donny Marshall and Donyell Marshall and they consider themselves a Uconn fan? that’s pretty bad man. Actually the more I think about it he probably doesn’t even know Donny Marshall existed if he’s asking that question. Pathetic.

Federal Way’s Finest

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
How much more of this will the AD tolerate until names start coming down from the Huskies of Honor wall?

Reaction Score
You’re right but the “disrespect” for guys prior to 1999 has been going on for awhile at UConn. Besides Ray Allen you rarely see those players in videos, celebrations, etc. And when they do it’s usually done very poorly.

I don’t think it’s disrespect! A lot of good things has happened since 1999. You highlight those championships!

C

Chief00

I understand how some may 'feel' something... But, the reality is... KO did not do the job after being handed pretty good players and winning a championship. I can assure you there were many distractions in his life following the 14' NC. The distractions were so severe that they tore his marriage and family apart. Subsequently, his team began to fall apart and lose. UConn is a winning basketball school - with history and tradition. KO's off court antics leading to his personal life crumbling - is where this all went. We were treated to the whiny face and attitude on the sidelines as his teams played lousy basketball to the tune of... less than .500 ball. Personal distractions and F ups. To me - it's not a 'family thing' or any 'fracturing' of the brotherhood. But rather someone who dug himself into a hole (personally) - and it began impact everything around him. I'm not sure this is being taking into consideration by JC, Butler, Marshall, etc... The kind of things that happened to KO (no matter how they came about) - are devastating and crippling. Subsequently, he spiraled to a major crash. I think he's a great guy but - he needs to get his sheet together off the court first. I find it interesting that many find the 'brotherhood' more important than the wellness of his marriage and children. So... I can't agree with anyone who thinks the 'brotherhood' or 'family' supercedes that. That is just plain wrong - and foolish human thinking. The outspoken folks need to give that perspective - deeper consideration. KO made some big mistakes. If there is something in a contract that he is due - pay him. But the whiny folks that think they have the whole picture - might want to learn and reevaluate what happened. If the 'formers' were his real family - they would rush to his side to help him fix his marriage and restore of the health of his family unit. But the concern here is about money or some brotherhood. It should be his health - and the health of his marriage and kids. Any other perceived angle to this - to me - is foolish. KO needs to refocus on what is important in his life. Obviously, he lost his way - and the storm ensued. Donyell, Caron and JC need to consider these things before trying to manifest some (imo) misguided and unnecessary angst.
It’s all about taking ownership of your own screw-ups and with KO that never happened. Why should UConn pay him for three years when the NCAA ruled twice that he couldn’t coach for any of those three years? Most of KO’s former teammates don’t follow it that closely and just believe the BS he is spreading because quite frankly, that's all he’s got.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
It’s all about taking ownership of your own screw-ups and with KO that never happened. Why should UConn pay him for three years when the NCAA ruled twice that he couldn’t coach for any of those three years? Most of KO’s former teammates don’t follow it that closely and just believe the BS he is spreading because quite frankly, that's all he’s got.

Chief, why don't you reach out to some of the guys and set them straight? They should take you seriously, no?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree. From that Caron Butler Interview a few months back, It seems like the former players don't necessarily have a problem with KO being fired, they have a problem with the fact that UConn went on to take the position of trying to avoid paying him the 10 million after they did it. Bashing the alums for taking that stance does not do a thing to make the situation any better.
True, but it really doesn’t make it any worse either, at least if it’s confined to the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
A voter wanted to know why Donyell Marshall was listed 2x Donny Marshall and Donyell Marshall.

That there shows the idiots voting.

The younger crowd think UConn started with Kemba.

Brimah over Nadav my god
Hopefully, not a Boneyarder.... :)

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Yeah that’d be great publicity

A message needs to be sent that you don't side with your old buddy over the program. Letting Donyell run his mouth without any consequences is far worse for the program's image.

C

Chief00

Chief, why don't you reach out to some of the guys and set them straight? They should take you seriously, no?
Quite frankly, it’s not a criticism, but they have minimal interest in the legalities. They always have someone who works that stuff out for them. KO tells them he had a contract and the man didn’t pay him. That’s good enough for them and Calhoun actually instilled in them the concept of brotherhood - so they are very comfortable in that space. The legal nuance that there are two parties to a contract and KO effectively voided the contract by his actions, layers on too much complexity and is too tedious. So on this subject, Chief stays in his lane. Barring a completely clueless arbitrator, I believe Chief knows the likely outcomes and KO’s legal team has stumbled so badly, they have effectively usurped any negotiating leverage they had.
I would still like UConn to throw $1M KO’s way, so he can save a little face, his lawyer gets a 1/3 and counts his blessing/goes away, but most importantly the former players can pretend he got paid. Ironically, “he got paid” auto corrected to “he got laid” and that perhaps caused this whole mess in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I'm weighing in here because this is more important to our program going forward than some realize. Danny Hurley certainly realizes it. You can see that from his response as well as other comments he has made. Others in athletic department and PR should realize it, too.

Bottom line is that Donyell does have a point. The Dream Season started our 25 year run of amazing success, and all it would have taken is a montage of clips a couple of seconds long each, and then of guys like himself from the early to mid 1990's. Would have taken 20 to 30 seconds additional max. We did not win a title during that time, but we were dominant in the Big East and building an elite program that would lead to our National Championships that were to follow. Paying respect to those guys should have been part of this video without a doubt.

This is an unforced error (a significant one) by whichever group of people authorized the video and what was to be included in it, and what was to be left out. Especially in light of the fracturing caused by the ongoing Kevin Ollie firing/lawsuit debacle.

This should be fixed with an edited version, and all subsequent marketing pieces related to our return to the Big East should contain some additional highlights from that time. It is

Frankly, I am even good with the guys on here who say we should even include something from a couple of the guys who were here before Calhoun during our first 7 years in the conference. Every piece of what it took for us to become what we became should be highlighted.

N
I
T

Thanks/credit to @gampelcrazies for the link...

Fun watch/listen for the Raftery fans out there..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Donyell simply stated he’d like some recognition of those who helped build JCs dynasty who are rarely mentioned. Without the NIT title and the Dream Season there may never have been the success we’ve all enjoyed.

To make it any more than that seems ridiculous. Good for him his word means something.

pj

Reaction Score
Ironically, “he got paid” auto corrected to “he got laid” and that perhaps caused this whole mess in the first place.

Now we know what your phone thinks you are thinking about.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, it’s not a criticism, but they have minimal interest in the legalities. They always have someone who works that stuff out for them. KO tells them he had a contract and the man didn’t pay him. That’s good enough for them and Calhoun actually instilled in them the concept of brotherhood - so they are very comfortable in that space. The legal nuance that their are two parties to a contract and KO effectively voided the contract by his actions, layers on too much complexity and is too tedious. So on this subject, Chief stays in his lane. Barring a completely clueless arbitrator, I believe Chief know the likely outcomes and KO’s legal team has stumbled so badly, they have effectively usurped any negotiating leverage they had.
I would still like UConn to throw $1M KO’s way, so he can save a little face, his lawyer gets a 1/3 and counts his blessing/goes away, but most importantly the former players can pretend he got paid. Ironically, “he got paid” auto corrected to “he got laid” and that perhaps caused this whole mess in the first place.
In my opinion..Teammates will usually support other teammates(the brotherhood in JC's era) and not the "man" (the system or college administration) as Chief refers to above.. It's interesting which teammates are being more vocal than others. If there was a way to negotiate some "go away" money to satisfy all parties (to some extent) and allow those parties to be able to view the resolution as a victory (saving face).. It would be a good thing.. The posture of KO and/or his legal team to continue to "go all in" is baffling..No one wins.. Time for KO to turn the page and move on with the rest of his life..

Reaction Score
Has anyone ever seen what a video from the 80s looks like? Could it just be because it would make the video look like it was produced for a VHS tape and not YouTube

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Has anyone ever seen what a video from the 80s looks like? Could it just be because it would make the video look like it was produced for a VHS tape on not YouTube

Why don’t the Yankees put the 1930s guys in their hype videos?

Reaction Score
Has anyone ever seen what a video from the 80s looks like? Could it just be because it would make the video look like it was produced for a VHS tape on not YouTube

Exactly what I was thinking. This is the reason. Videos look like crap. Footage from 99’ is pretty clear and I occasionally see that used different places but footage of Cliff, Smitty and even Ray is looking pretty lousy these days. You notice the same thing in The Last Dance, MJ footage from 98’ is worlds clearer than in 92’. No comparison.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A message needs to be sent that you don't side with your old buddy over the program. Letting Donyell run his mouth without any consequences is far worse for the program's image.

Yikes. My man wants a UConn civil war

Reaction Score
Kevin screwed up - period. Yes, he is of the UConn family. Let the legal stuff go as it will - hopefully what is fair and honest. Maybe throwing him a 1 million dollar bone - where face seems relatively saved is best. Yes, 'auto correct or adjustment to words is an accurate assessment. We'll just leave that at that. What bothers me is the 'street level brotherhood' versus a brotherhood built by Jim and staff at the university. These are very different things. The UConn basketball brotherhood is real and a terrific method to contribute to the building of a dynasty. The 'street brotherhood' among groups of people involves lying and covering for one another - when you do wrong. I can't support this. As far as not knowing everything that was occurring - that is a different story. No one can be condemned for ignorance (not knowing). I'd like to consider some of his supporters in this category - if that is where they truly belong. KO drumming up support or it just coming to him in the from 'formers' - is -really all he has got. He needs to get himself and family right. So Kevin, you claim to be a Christian man? Really? This is all being twisted and distorted - but does originate in his own poor choices and behavior. Oh, but the brotherhood must cover... This is all so disheartening how this is playing out. People either build walls or bridges... People need to take ownship of their mistakes, repair where appropriate and grow from them... or they don't. KO, just like all of us at one time or another, needs to take ownship and grow. Just my opinion. And these folks that are sticking their noses where it doesn't belong - maybe they should focus on getting themselves and their immediate relationships right. Don't make the same mistake Kevin Ollie did.

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
Cliff Robinson is probably one of the most often forgotten great players we had. He was there when I was there so it's fresh for me, but he had a long, successful 17 year NBA career as well. Athletic and 6'10 with a little bit of a handle and outside shooting, he would have been a monster in this era. He averaged 14.2 PPG, 4.6 RPG and 2.2 Assists over 17 years. Currently 23rd all time in minutes played. Number 50 in points scored and top 50 in blocks.
Im younger than cliffs time and he always sticks out to me as a solid NBA player, sometimes forget he went to UConn

Reaction Score
Has anyone ever seen what a video from the 80s looks like? Could it just be because it would make the video look like it was produced for a VHS tape and not YouTube

We've got several boxes of videotapes from the 80's and 90's and they are "just a bit grainy".

On occasion, we'd put one in the player (yes we still have it) and watch one of the games that started the ascent (some of the first being the 1988 NIT semi and final, complete with Lyman shutting down Barros and Gamble and King on the backboard after the win).

Now that someone posted the link to the games from the past we don't watch them but it's hard to get rid of them...........they helped make up for all the earlier disappointments.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom