Donyell Tweet - Fractured UConn "family" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Donyell Tweet - Fractured UConn "family"

Reaction Score
Brimah won over Nadav?? :oops: For real?
There is no argument that Brimah was a better player than Nadav. I love Brimah as much as anyone and his and-one was as clutch as it comes. Nadav, as a 6-7 forward who could easily slot into the 1, averaged ~12/6/3 and nearly 4 steals. A complete two-way player with a huge height advantage at his position.

Reaction Score
I can understand Brimah over Nadav. Nadav was one of the main players that fueled the Dream Season that started Husky-Mania. Forever love the guy for his part in the dream season and he had a great single season at Uconn. Brimah was a four year player with one of the single most important plays in Uconn history. Without his and-1, the Uconn 2014 championship season ends in the first round. Hard to compare a great single season that changed the path of Uconn basketball with a solid four year career that included a Championship. Love both these guys for different reasons.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I had a bad in person interaction with Donyell when I was younger. From that interaction, tweets like the one listed are kind of what I’d expect. He’s in a position to be a bridge or a wedge. There’s more constructive ways to voice that.

(FYI I only met him the once, he could be the greatest guy on earth, hope he is. Just not a light I see him in)

Reaction Score
......wow
Yeah, I'm a little bit shocked (maybe I shouldn't be), and disappointed at the venom being tossed at these fellow UConn alums & program OG's. It's really unnecessary. These guys are sticking up for a friend who they felt got shafted by the AD. That doesn't make them bad guys, and it sure as hell shouldn't be a reason to dismiss their perspective like its irrelevant or something. Wht t fk is up with some of you guys, anyway? I don't get it.

Reaction Score
I can understand Brimah over Nadav. Nadav was one of the main players that fueled the Dream Season that started Husky-Mania. Forever love the guy for his part in the dream season and he had a great single season at Uconn. Brimah was a four year player with one of the single most important plays in Uconn history. Without his and-1, the Uconn 2014 championship season ends in the first round. Hard to compare a great single season that changed the path of Uconn basketball with a solid four year career that included a Championship. Love both these guys for different reasons.
No way is Brimah better. Makes the whole thing meaningless

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Suggestion: someone with some connections get the email of the DECISION MAKER on the tributes. Post the email address and all of us who care send ONE email each.

Reaction Score
I wonder if there is any lingering animosity between him and Hurley because of the PJ Carlesimo-Sprewell incident. Donyell was on the Warriors then and IIRC he said something to the effect that Carlesimo had it coming to him, and Sprewell merely did what many of the players wanted to do. Carlesimo was Hurley's coach at Seton Hall and I am guessing that they remained tight.

Donyell never said anything remotely suggesting of the idea that Carlesimo deserved to be choked. Stop spreading nonsense like this.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Donyell never said anything remotely suggesting of the idea that Carlesimo deserved to be choked. Stop spreading nonsense like this.
I read something years ago saying that he did. I obviously have no first hand knowledge.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm a little bit shocked (maybe I shouldn't be), and disappointed at the venom being tossed at these fellow UConn alums & program OG's. It's really unnecessary. These guys are sticking up for a friend who they felt got shafted by the AD. That doesn't make them bad guys, and it sure as hell shouldn't be a reason to dismiss their perspective like its irrelevant or something. Wht t fk is up with some of you guys, anyway? I don't get it.
I agree. From that Caron Butler Interview a few months back, It seems like the former players don't necessarily have a problem with KO being fired, they have a problem with the fact that UConn went on to take the position of trying to avoid paying him the 10 million after they did it. Bashing the alums for taking that stance does not do a thing to make the situation any better.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Donyell's CCSU team won 4 games last year. He should get out of his feelings and make a few zoom calls to recruits.
what would we do without one completely snarky BS remark
DM is a legend and I listen to what he has to say
This has nothing to do with CCSU
Up to this point, DH hasn't come close to recruit anyone like Donyell, zoom or no zoom-- maybe you never saw him play or knew the man

Reaction Score
Cliff Robinson is probably one of the most often forgotten great players we had. He was there when I was there so it's fresh for me, but he had a long, successful 17 year NBA career as well. Athletic and 6'10 with a little bit of a handle and outside shooting, he would have been a monster in this era. He averaged 14.2 PPG, 4.6 RPG and 2.2 Assists over 17 years. Currently 23rd all time in minutes played. Number 50 in points scored and top 50 in blocks.

Uncle Cliffy still has scored more points in the NBA than any UConn alumnus not named Ray Allen.

Reaction Score
You know what? Guys from the 80s and early 90s younger fans have no idea who they are or what they did. And video isn’t as available. Lastly maybe Donyell should worry that they’ll show the free throws he missed that cost us our first trip to the Final Four.
We still would have to beat BC to get to the final four, wait, we beat them about 100 times in a row, we would have been going to the final four!

Reaction Score
Donyell responded to a tweet from the official UConn Men's Basketball twitter page yesterday. Kevin Ollie was one of the 300 likes. Clearly, there's still a pretty big rift between some of the older Calhoun era guys and the new regime. Not sure that has much/anything to do with Hurley, but the KO situation and Calhoun not being around much anymore clearly shows.

View attachment 54336
I understand how some may 'feel' something... But, the reality is... KO did not do the job after being handed pretty good players and winning a championship. I can assure you there were many distractions in his life following the 14' NC. The distractions were so severe that they tore his marriage and family apart. Subsequently, his team began to fall apart and lose. UConn is a winning basketball school - with history and tradition. KO's off court antics leading to his personal life crumbling - is where this all went. We were treated to the whiny face and attitude on the sidelines as his teams played lousy basketball to the tune of... less than .500 ball. Personal distractions and F ups. To me - it's not a 'family thing' or any 'fracturing' of the brotherhood. But rather someone who dug himself into a hole (personally) - and it began impact everything around him. I'm not sure this is being taking into consideration by JC, Butler, Marshall, etc... The kind of things that happened to KO (no matter how they came about) - are devastating and crippling. Subsequently, he spiraled to a major crash. I think he's a great guy but - he needs to get his sheet together off the court first. I find it interesting that many find the 'brotherhood' more important than the wellness of his marriage and children. So... I can't agree with anyone who thinks the 'brotherhood' or 'family' supercedes that. That is just plain wrong - and foolish human thinking. The outspoken folks need to give that perspective - deeper consideration. KO made some big mistakes. If there is something in a contract that he is due - pay him. But the whiny folks that think they have the whole picture - might want to learn and reevaluate what happened. If the 'formers' were his real family - they would rush to his side to help him fix his marriage and restore of the health of his family unit. But the concern here is about money or some brotherhood. It should be his health - and the health of his marriage and kids. Any other perceived angle to this - to me - is foolish. KO needs to refocus on what is important in his life. Obviously, he lost his way - and the storm ensued. Donyell, Caron and JC need to consider these things before trying to manifest some (imo) misguided and unnecessary angst.

Reaction Score
I don't see his comment as a slight against UConn at all. It's a comment about poor marketing, not against UConn. He's 100% correct, by the way.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I read something years ago saying that he did. I obviously have no first hand knowledge.

Closest thing I could find:

"Everyone knew that something was going to happen and that it was a situation that had to be addressed," Marshall said. "Everybody was waiting for it to be addressed, and then suddenly it was like, `It's over. Let's play basketball.'”

So he wasn’t saying Carlesimo had it coming—more like that everybody knew it was coming.

Others blamed Carlesimo:

Sprewell, 27, claimed he was provoked, and he has witnesses.

"P.J. provoked it," said one Warrior. "He could have stopped or walked the other way. But he didn't. He kept going."

Another witness said Carlesimo walked three-quarters of the length of the court to scream at Sprewell, even as Sprewell was warning him, "Don't come up on me. Don't come up on me."

Reaction Score
whatever. If he wants to send a message he knows how to get in touch with the right people. He had recently practiced there. He has open communication with the school. He doesn’t need to do this publicly.

He tried to embarrass the school because he is offended on behalf of someone else. Even if you agree that they have a legitimate beef there is a better way to handle this

The school that just did him a favor by letting his team practice there. He’s being a Karen.

Reaction Score
A voter wanted to know why Donyell Marshall was listed 2x Donny Marshall and Donyell Marshall.

That there shows the idiots voting.

The younger crowd think UConn started with Kemba.

Brimah over Nadav my god
Someone actually didn’t know the difference between Donny Marshall and Donyell Marshall and they consider themselves a Uconn fan? that’s pretty bad man. Actually the more I think about it he probably doesn’t even know Donny Marshall existed if he’s asking that question. Pathetic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom