Donyell Tweet - Fractured UConn "family" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Donyell Tweet - Fractured UConn "family"

Reaction Score
You know what? Guys from the 80s and early 90s younger fans have no idea who they are or what they did. And video isn’t as available. Lastly maybe Donyell should worry that they’ll show the free throws he missed that cost us our first trip to the Final Four.
The video exists:
www.uconnhuskygames.com

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I wonder if there is any lingering animosity between him and Hurley because of the PJ Carlesimo-Sprewell incident. Donyell was on the Warriors then and IIRC he said something to the effect that Carlesimo had it coming to him, and Sprewell merely did what many of the players wanted to do. Carlesimo was Hurley's coach at Seton Hall and I am guessing that they remained tight.

Reaction Score
I wonder if there is any lingering animosity between him and Hurley because of the PJ Carlesimo-Sprewell incident. Donyell was on the Warriors then and IIRC he said something to the effect that Carlesimo had it coming to him, and Sprewell merely did what many of the players wanted to do. Carlesimo was Hurley's coach at Seton Hall and I am guessing that they remained tight.

Pretty sure he and hurley are fine

Reaction Score

Dan kind of quit basketball during the last year he played for PJ, so... Yes, there were other significant factors (his brother’s car accident), and Dan now says that, as all situations go, there were a lot of factors on all sides and that no one was totally in the right. He’s actually pretty good at that- looking back at situations and seeing how things could have been handled better (see also, kicking Tristan Thompson off his team... they’re actually still connected, which I find hilarious given how Tristan’s life has evolved). Dan talked to PJ before he took the Wagner job, so they’re at least amicable. I wouldn’t say “tight.”

Dan talks constantly about embracing the past, says it‘s one of the biggest assets he has as a coach at UConn. It was a weird way for Marshall to get petty, even if the sentiment is shared by the current head coach. People get in their feelings, it makes things complicated but not insurmountable.

ETA- and also, teams use different formats for different purposes. Social media is for fans but also for recruits. In general, but also specifically- not everything is about you.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Ollie was tight with all these guys. He and Donyell were teammates. The KO thing will not go away for some.

KO brought this on himself. He is the one with the outsized sense of entitlement. There was a way to end this but KO wouldn't accept his responsibility for the mess at thr end.

The University could have swallowed the $10M but it would have hurt the AD and the school really hard. KO not willing to make a deal cost him. Poor decision and shameful not understanding the reality of the situation.

The players need to realize that or they can cut ties. The 90-98 teams were great. The history of the program doesn't end there.

Reaction Score
I’m just going to SCREAM this from the top row.

Why do the old players get upset about IG and Twitter polling? >80% of the user base isn’t old enough to have watched them play.

Their names are in the damn rafters lol

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My guess, and that's all it is, is that once the KO thing has reached its resolution, things will move closer to normal. Some guys will come all the way back, some part of the way, and some will be more distant. I think Ray feels as strongly about this as anyone, yet, he came back to school for his number retirement. I don't love it, but we'll get back to a new normal that, I think, will be close to the old normal, mostly.

Reaction Score
Regarding perceptions of past players with Danny Hurley, I feel like everyone forgets that Danny played against many of them. If they are throwing shade, it probably has more to do with him as a player than how he is running the program.

Reaction Score
It's just the bias of the new. Look at the GOAT chart. Most of the voters didn't see anyone in the last century. They think Josh Boone (no offense) was better than Toby Kimball.
Wes B ave 28/game without a 3 point line.. HOF Rick Barry..Who himself ave 37 pts/game in college and was a Wes teammate in the ABA.. Said he was the best long range shooter in BB he had ever seen..As a matter of fact..Wes held the ABA/NBA record for consecutive threes at 9 for quite awhile..

Reaction Score
I'm weighing in here because this is more important to our program going forward than some realize. Danny Hurley certainly realizes it. You can see that from his response as well as other comments he has made. Others in athletic department and PR should realize it, too.

Bottom line is that Donyell does have a point. The Dream Season started our 25 year run of amazing success, and all it would have taken is a montage of clips a couple of seconds long each, and then of guys like himself from the early to mid 1990's. Would have taken 20 to 30 seconds additional max. We did not win a title during that time, but we were dominant in the Big East and building an elite program that would lead to our National Championships that were to follow. Paying respect to those guys should have been part of this video without a doubt.

This is an unforced error (a significant one) by whichever group of people authorized the video and what was to be included in it, and what was to be left out. Especially in light of the fracturing caused by the ongoing Kevin Ollie firing/lawsuit debacle.

This should be fixed with an edited version, and all subsequent marketing pieces related to our return to the Big East should contain some additional highlights from that time. It is

Frankly, I am even good with the guys on here who say we should even include something from a couple of the guys who were here before Calhoun during our first 7 years in the conference. Every piece of what it took for us to become what we became should be highlighted.
Earl Kelly is one of the all time greats

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Cliff Robinson is probably one of the most often forgotten great players we had. He was there when I was there so it's fresh for me, but he had a long, successful 17 year NBA career as well. Athletic and 6'10 with a little bit of a handle and outside shooting, he would have been a monster in this era. He averaged 14.2 PPG, 4.6 RPG and 2.2 Assists over 17 years. Currently 23rd all time in minutes played. Number 50 in points scored and top 50 in blocks.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
KO screwed up and needs to own it.
6F777DA3-2A19-4838-B11B-E9BA221272F7.jpeg

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Donyell responded to a tweet from the official UConn Men's Basketball twitter page yesterday. Kevin Ollie was one of the 300 likes. Clearly, there's still a pretty big rift between some of the older Calhoun era guys and the new regime. Not sure that has much/anything to do with Hurley, but the KO situation and Calhoun not being around much anymore clearly shows.

View attachment 54336
I think Calhoun is around more now with Danny than when KO was here

Reaction Score
Look, I love Donyell. I followed his career from Pa. to UCONN. He is apparently a great guy based on what he has done in the Reading Pa. community. However, if he has followed UCONN , he really shouldn’t be unhappy with Benedict pulling the plug on Ollie. Ollie mailed it in during the last several years. Forgetting the stupid NCAA infractions, his recruiting was not good and his in game demeanor was that of someone who had lost interest. I dont think if Ollie was arround, the Big East would have happened. Our franchise value had fallen dramatically.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see some Donyell highlights. He was the face of Husky nation when I was there. 42 Million Dollar man if I remember back correctly. I also wann say it was he who had a 360 dunk at home, which would be cool to see in a highlight. I'll even take a Doron 3, followed by a Rashad 3 or even a Denham 3. Which makes me think, do we have a Legends Game? If not, we should.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom