Dont want to hear it | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Dont want to hear it

Reaction Score
Yes, I don't think it's a failure to recognize he needs shooters. It's more of the fact he doesn't develop the talent he has and the talent he does picks up is not groomed or put in position to be successful.

Reaction Score
Yes, I don't think it's a failure to recognize he needs shooters. It's more of the fact he doesn't develop the talent he has and the talent he does picks up is not groomed or put in position to be successful.

You don't develop shooters so it's on KO to get shooters ready to come flipping them in from the perimeter. Hopefully he believes Matthews, Akinjo and even a Wilson in more of a mid range type game can fill gaps.

pj

Reaction Score
PJ, can you please define what you’d consider making progress the remainder of this year and next year? Does it include wins or just playing with effort and running a true offense?

The two go together. If the team loses cohesion and spirit, then you can easily have a season like the 5-22 Washington had last year under Romar and Chillious, with the #1 draft pick on the team. Keeping the team onboard, playing with effort, and running schemes well is a prerequisite for reaching .500.

For making progress -- player development and team development. The players get better over the course of the season and the team gets better. Those are the clearest evidences of effective coaching. They are also the negative recruiting against Ollie -- he doesn't develop players. Ollie needs to answer that criticism on the court.

At the end of the season, you want it to be clear that the team was limited by the talent of the players, not by the effort put forth by players or coach or by the capability of the coach. You want the team to reach its potential. That's all you can ask.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ollie is soft. The team is soft. Forget shooting or offensive sets. Not completely but they are secondary.

Ollie built an NBA career by putting his head down, working hard, never complaining and never giving up. He was selfless, a great teammate. He didn't cause any trouble. He deferred to the leaders on his teams. He listened to coaches and was self motivated. He exemplified being a good pro. He was all about basketball and team all the time. He was selfless yet carried himself with class.

He now has a much different job. JC, Bobby Knight, Coach K, these guys are obnoxious. They are not likable. They yell, swear, complain, are demonstrative, they ride the refs, they get technical fouls and kicked out of games. Sometimes they pull the starters and put in walk ons. They go right to the line and bully players. They are not nice.

When was the last time Ollie used a technical foul to motivate his team or put a ref on notice? I can't recall ever. He only receives technicals when he loses his cool. When he can't control himself. He doesn't understand that technicals are tools. I don't recall Kevin ever grabbing a kid by the shirt to get his attention. Hell, I don't remember ever seeing him mad.

The things that made Kevin valuable in the NBA are not the things that will make him valuable as a college coach. The things that made him survive in the NBA, now make him look passive. Fighting quietly doesn't look like fighting at all. Being under control looks like lack of passion. Courtesy comes off as surrender. Respecting the refs is much less important than defending your players.

Unfortunately, the things that set an example as a player, send the wrong message as the coach. The players reflect his softness not his work ethic.

Can KO evolve as a coach? Become a mean, tough, SOB? Respect is great but fear is better, can he instill it? That will eventually determine his future success.

When we see an mean, tough SOB standing in front of the bench berating a ref, that will be progress to me.

Reaction Score
This notion that Napier and Boatwright were coaching the Team in 2014 is foolish.

And perpetuating that phrase makes you a Fool.

It’s OK to say that Ollie’s coaching through the 2014 MM was brilliant ... but he looks lost and confused on how to make this beloved Program today better. These aren’t Nuts. Not mutually exclusive. They are both true.

I say ... what you are pointing out is leadership. And we are going to have Kevin Ollie through March. Let’s see a few experienced guys lead. Maybe then we might feel differently.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Given fact KO has smashed all the records (40+ Years) as he marches toward back to back losing seasons, and the fact that Uconn players still rank at the top of AAC, I sort of doubt any new coach will do worse than KO. Just think about it for minute.
UConn players still rank near top of AAC? Aside from Jalen and Terry and MAYBE Vital (unlikely) who is highly ranked? Who is so highly touted that is underperforming? The guys that are supposed to be contributing, are. There just aren't enough of them.

Reaction Score
I agree! KO should be one of the best recruiters in the Country. Young, NBA career, winning NC program, etc... etc... He fired a true "coach" in Miller and replaced him with another "recruiter" in Chillious. 100% of what we currently have is on Ollie. The transfers, the crappy in bounds plays, the recruitment of injured players, the lack of shooters etc... To think that we can't fire KO because we may stink next year is ridiculous. We already stink!

Sorry. I don’t think replacing Miller with Chillious is near the problem.

It’s up to Ollie. His Program - he needs to RE-shape.

Without Miller, Kevin Ollie has a building full of some greatest minds in CBB in Auriemma, Calhoun and Dee Rowe. If he’s not regularly doing an hour every few days with a few of these guys ... he’s failed. He can pick up the phone and call Larry Brown ... and others. Glen Miller wasn’t a big loss. On that bench, it’s on Ollie.

As for not liking Jim Calhoun ... I loved the Big Irish guy. I could care less about what 350+ other schools fans, coaches or lingering trolls think.

Reaction Score
Sorry. I don’t think replacing Miller with Chillious is near the problem.

It’s up to Ollie. His Program - he needs to RE-shape.

Without Miller, Kevin Ollie has a building full of some greatest minds in CBB in Auriemma, Calhoun and Dee Rowe. If he’s not regularly doing an hour every few days with a few of these guys ... he’s failed. He can pick up the phone and call Larry Brown ... and others. Glen Miller wasn’t a big loss. On that bench, it’s on Ollie.

As for not liking Jim Calhoun ... I loved the Big Irish guy. I could care less about what 350+ other schools fans, coaches or lingering trolls think.
Including Dee Rowe with Calhoun and Geno is complete insanity. He was a very mediocre college coach.

Reaction Score
Including Dee Rowe with Calhoun and Geno is complete insanity. He was a very mediocre college coach.

People who know New England basketball would never agree with you on the guys knowledge.

As a Coach ... you are right. But as someone that you can learn from, you’re wrong.

Reaction Score
I realize the pickings were thin last spring but KO and Chill should have known that a real 3 pt threat was really needed. Even if he took a kid that was not as athletic but could hit a 3 and knock down his FT.
We have streaky scorers not shooters.

Reaction Score
People who know New England basketball would never agree with you on the guys knowledge.

As a Coach ... you are right. But as someone that you can learn from, you’re wrong.
He was a very good high school coach, very high profile.

He was the personification of the Peter Principle at UConn. The students used to chant, "Rowe Must Go" at games in the 70s.

He has proven to be a great fund raiser and face for the athletic program. But anyone who thinks he was a good college coach (let alone in the Geno, JC class) never watched him throw away games from the UConn bench. Jack Leaman outcoached him every time they met. Revisionist history will never change that.

Reaction Score
Chillious, is that you? Ricky? Kevin? Kill? Team manager?

Reaction Score
UConn players still rank near top of AAC? Aside from Jalen and Terry and MAYBE Vital (unlikely) who is highly ranked? Who is so highly touted that is underperforming? The guys that are supposed to be contributing, are. There just aren't enough of them.
Dude, go on verbal commits and look at the player recruiting rankings between us and everyone else. On balance we are at the top as far as national recruiter/player rank numbers. As a whole, our players are ranked higher nationally. We have scads of high four star players, and even some low five star. No other team in AAC has as many as we do.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Dude, go on verbal commits and look at the player recruiting rankings between us and everyone else. On balance we are at the top as far as national recruiter/player rank numbers. As a whole, our players are ranked higher nationally. We have scads of high four star players, and even some low five star. No other team in AAC has as many as we do.
Who? Gilbert hasn't played for us. Why should he count? Who else is highly ranked?

I just think its funny that some people get on Ollie for not developing all these high ranked recruits...then the next poster gets on Ollie because he cant build a team because he cant get any good recruits. Which is it? Or is it neither?

Reaction Score

Half of those you listed aren't shooters.

Purvis ended up kind of being a shooter but that wasn't the strong part of his game. The biggest knock on MAL during recruiting was his lack of outside shot. Ditto for Adams. Same for Gilbert - the kid is amazing at getting to the rim, but he's not close to being a shooter. Vance could shoot. Durham could step out and hit 15 footers, and had a decent stroke for a big man, but he's not a "shooter".

"Shooters" as I always understood it were guards/wings whose jump shot - almost specifically from 3 - was a major facet of their offensive game and enough to warrant constant attention from defenses on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
Who? Gilbert hasn't played for us. Why should he count? Who else is highly ranked?

I just think its funny that some people get on Ollie for not developing all these high ranked recruits...then the next poster gets on Ollie because he cant build a team because he cant get any good recruits. Which is it? Or is it neither?
Or, is it both? He WAS getting pretty highly ranked players but they either didn't develop or ran out the door. And, if you claim they didn't develop because they were lazy or stupid then he was getting the WRONG highly ranked players. Again, ON HIM! Now, he isn't getting highly ranked players AND he STILL isn't developing them OR they are still "guys who don't want to be here". Again, the only thing he is good at is motivating other people's players.

Reaction Score

Putting aside the four - 4star transfers/decommits last season, which is a lot, our roster still consists of:

4.3★SGJalen Adams(6-3 195)
4★SFTerry Larrier(6-8 192)
4★PGAlterique Gilbert(6-0 175)
3★SFSidney 'Sid' Wilson, Jr.(6-7 175)
4★PFTyler Polley(6-9 210)
3.3★PFMamadou Diarra(6-8 215)
4★CJosh Carlton(6-10 235)

Moreover, Sid Wilson is ranked higher than the 3 star rank shown above because of reclassification. And, Diarra was a 4 star ESPN 100 too. And, the above roster is less than anything we’ve had in prior years in terms of player rankings, yet is still miles above our conference mates.

Now, go onto verbal commits, click conference, click AAC, and then click on the other teams like Cincinnati, Wichita State, SMU, Houston, and you’re going to see literally 1 to 2 maximum four star players on those teams— nothing more. You cannot compare our roster talent (even in its degraded form this year) with the rest of the conference. We have more talent than anyone, and yet year after year we do much less than anyone with it.

Reaction Score
He was a very good high school coach, very high profile.

He was the personification of the Peter Principle at UConn. The students used to chant, "Rowe Must Go" at games in the 70s.

He has proven to be a great fund raiser and face for the athletic program. But anyone who thinks he was a good college coach (let alone in the Geno, JC class) never watched him throw away games from the UConn bench. Jack Leaman outcoached him every time they met. Revisionist history will never change that.

Well ... you don't know the coaches and cultural basketball network I was exposed to. The notion that "... proven to be a great fund raiser" to describe Dee Rowe would be laughed at by my Dad's friend - former Siena coach Billy Kirsch. And on and on. See ... it isn't just the coaching. Whomever was the AD during our Big East entrance and then who hired Auriemma and Calhoun, Rowe was the backbone of why UConn was notable. YEAH yeah ... Worcester Academy. But Gavitt and Tommy Heinsohn and Bob Cousy and Joe Mullaney and Jack Kraft: WE were part of the movement upward because Rowe's presence. Not by having a Dairy Bar.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Or, is it both? He WAS getting pretty highly ranked players but they either didn't develop or ran out the door. And, if you claim they didn't develop because they were lazy or stupid then he was getting the WRONG highly ranked players. Again, ON HIM! Now, he isn't getting highly ranked players AND he STILL isn't developing them OR they are still "guys who don't want to be here". Again, the only thing he is good at is motivating other people's players.
Have to disagree with you. It's not his fault Vance's dad decided he wants Vance to be Kobe. That's not on Ollie. Durham was a risk, but we waited him out, and Durham decided to bolt. Again, I don't blame Ollie.

He's been unlucky. Gilbert is a player. He's played all of what 5 games for us in 2 yrs? You can tell from watching him he's a good player. If passed on him for a lower ranked player people on this board would have KILLED him like they're killing him now. Hindsight is 20/20. I think Ollie deserves a chance to right the ship. If we're still treading water in 2 yrs, then we can discuss a firing.

Turnover at head coach is not a good thing. Ask the Cleveland Browns.

Reaction Score
Have to disagree with you. It's not his fault Vance's dad decided he wants Vance to be Kobe. That's not on Ollie. Durham was a risk, but we waited him out, and Durham decided to bolt. Again, I don't blame Ollie.

He's been unlucky. Gilbert is a player. He's played all of what 5 games for us in 2 yrs? You can tell from watching him he's a good player. If passed on him for a lower ranked player people on this board would have KILLED him like they're killing him now. Hindsight is 20/20. I think Ollie deserves a chance to right the ship. If we're still treading water in 2 yrs, then we can discuss a firing.

Geno recruits parents for a reason. If KO didn't see the Jackson train wreck, it is ON HIM! If Enoch was a stiff and he chose Enoch then it is ON HIM! Most coaches don't have a team collapse COMPLETELY due to the injury of ONE PLAYER. I don't want an unlucky coach. I want another lucky Irishman or an Italian that makes luck an offer it can't refuse.

Reaction Score

I agree with you about Ollie totally. The thing that I realize is that people that don't aren't going to change their minds. I as a fanatical fan that would read anything about uconn found the bone yard and read but never posted until I heard from other media sources that Uconn fans wanted Ollie fired. Then I signed up. I am a Uconn fan and I don't want Ollie fired! Make sure my voice is heard as well. I have tried to sway others by telling them how stupid they are for wanting Ollie fired. Talk them off the ledge so to speak but then I realized I am arguing with people that I have a lot in common with. Everyone at my house thinks I'm crazy, wife four kids. At work everyone knows I am all about Uconn men's basketball more than any other sport that I am a fan of. I love every player and coach that we ever had since I've been a fa.n really followed every game since 1990 before that just what my father put on. I think it is ok to be critical of every player and coach that we have because I want them to win!! I just don't think Ollie or our program deserves a head coach firing. So no more putting my fellow Uconn crazies down because we disagree. I apologize for any negative statements(I don't think I have been too bad). We have to agree to disagree, but I am tired of everything turning into fire Ollie don't fire Ollie talk. I love the back and forth about what player you like better or what line up Ollie should be running, or play call without going to ... he should be fired because no no he should stay because. Go Uconn!

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This notion that Napier and Boatwright were coaching the Team in 2014 is foolish.

And perpetuating that phrase makes you a Fool.

It’s OK to say that Ollie’s coaching through the 2014 MM was brilliant ... but he looks lost and confused on how to make this beloved Program today better. These aren’t Nuts. Not mutually exclusive. They are both true.

I say ... what you are pointing out is leadership. And we are going to have Kevin Ollie through March. Let’s see a few experienced guys lead. Maybe then we might feel differently.

Did you talk to a player that said it was foolish? So interesting people with such strong takes on either side arguing from gut instincts...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom