Dont want to hear it | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dont want to hear it

Reaction Score
Just kinda piggy backing in the earlier press about it. I don’t expect a jet to show up but if Kobe can call the women’s team before the title game last year.........

Reaction Score
Akinjo just signed his LOI...pretty sure that means he likes KO. We get chances with some big name guys yearly because of KO. That goes away if he leaves. Im pretty sure the players he has are loyal to him.
Well no kidding, he already lost the FOUR who weren’t last year.

This is the one thing I don’t get “BUT THE PLAYERS WILL LEAVE”

... the players are already leaving and are soured in KO. That’s a core part of the issue here

And if you don’t think losing to Tulsa in double OT like that to make us what, 1-4 against them since we started playing them? Isn’t shambles, then I don’t think you have a place to call for KO to stick around.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Im so sick of this fire Ollie midseason stuff. I wouldn't fire him after the season either, but that can be debated.

Like ive said. Im fine with being critical...but if you think that firing the HC mid season and if you think they'd be over 500 next yr you'd be wrong.

The team would be in SHAMBLES. Players would be gone. Akinjo would be gone. There would be nothing left. Im pretty sure the same few people calling for Ollie's head would be the same ones complaining about that too. some people like to complain I guess...
So we keep KO to prevent this team from being in shambles? What are you watching, we haven't beaten a good team in a couple of years...........good teams destroy us & bad teams take us to OT......what are we clinging to?

So if we fired KO's the players would all quit the team the next day and go where? Players will wait to see who the replacement is before leaving at seasons end realizing the next coach might be better. No guarantee we keep the 3 recruits if KO stays & no guarantee we lose them if KO goes.....again, the next coach may bring in better recruits, only Akinjo is top 100.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Just kinda piggy backing in the earlier press about it. I don’t expect a jet to show up but if Kobe can call the women’s team before the title game last year....

What? Kobe and Geno are friends... through Team USA. What does that have to do with anything?

Reaction Score
Barring some miraculous turn around Ollie is a dead man walking. Probably gone after the last game of the year. He might even be coaching the final few with his office in boxes knowing he is gone at the final buzzer. The next coach will likely have a tough year next year but here’s the difference: HOPE. If Ollie is back we have another dreary year to look forward to.

Reaction Score
We're not keeping an incompetent coach because of the 96th best player in the class.
Btw, it is HIGHLY likely that the NCAA will pass new transfer legislation in the next couple of months that will allow all division 1 basketball players to transfer once in their careers and be IMMEDIATELY eligible to play (in other words, they wouldn’t have to sit out for a year of competition). If you’re worrying about players leaving Ollie’s sinking ship now....look out.

And that is not remotely an endorsement for UConn to keep him. I wish we would have made a change last season. And as for all the apologists and Pollyannas who fear what a rebuild looks like, give me a break. Sign me up for a couple of years of pain in exchange for any progress and even a chance at a brighter future. What we have now is pain without hope or any reasonable reason to believe that things will get better. Even worse, we are collecting proof that things won’t improve. Hell I’d gladly take JC’s first season (where we went 9-19) where we saw signs that things could be different and better vs this continued s**tshow where a “highlight” is that more than 9,000 people showed up to the Witchita State game. And that doesn’t mean that anything less than JC will be a disappointment for me. Ollie has done the near impossible by successfully lowering my expectations so that a team who improves over the course of a season or even a team that remains largely intact over a few seasons sounds like an amazing and exciting state of being.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
You realize this is illogical? You have to put people in position to score. Cutting and screening and getting action going to the rim...it isn't impossible to draw up a play for anyone on the court. We don't need to be shooting 15 foot jumpers, with streaky scorers. We run a horrible offense that is the bottom line and it is on the coach.
How is it illogical? You need guys who can shoot or are good at scoring. They have 3 guys. None of them are considered lights out shooters either.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
So we keep KO to prevent this team from being in shambles? What are you watching, we haven't beaten a good team in a couple of years......good teams destroy us & bad teams take us to OT......what are we clinging to?

So if we fired KO's the players would all quit the team the next day and go where? Players will wait to see who the replacement is before leaving at seasons end realizing the next coach might be better. No guarantee we keep the 3 recruits if KO stays & no guarantee we lose them if KO goes.....again, the next coach may bring in better recruits, only Akinjo is top 100.
If you think this is shambles then the year after KO is fired would be rubble.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Why do you think a good coach would want this job? They're in a mediocre conference and they'd need to build a roster from scratch if Ollie's players leave. I'm not afraid of change, I just don't think it's time. I want to see how the next few years of recruiting go before I move on from KO.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Ok looks like someone is sniffing out an “ I’m righter than you” argument. I concede. I shall just concede that Jesus shuttlesworth should be enough to pull any recruit. Or is that too much of a leap?

Why would a kid being recruited now care what Ray Allen has to say, serious question. Kids are different these days I doubt they care. There are so many other NBA players we could use to recruit players. Secondly, recruiting isn't as big of an issue as player development is. What Ollie player is exponentially better than from his first day on campus to his last day?

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
What would change in 2-3 yrs then? If there are young, ambitious coaches out there why wouldn't they want the job in 2-3 yrs? Why does it have to be now? I don't know what line of work you're in, but loyalty is something too. As much as Im not a fan of Chief''s shtick, I think the Blaze strategy is a good one and I think it needs time. If in 2 yrs we're still doing the same stuff, I'd be fine firing him.

Reaction Score
So, firing Ollie will be more disruptive than JC retiring and a post season ban? I think not.

I would prefer another bad year, due to a transition, over the long term effects of prolonged mediocrity (at best).

Reaction Score
What would change in 2-3 yrs then? If there are young, ambitious coaches out there why wouldn't they want the job in 2-3 yrs? Why does it have to be now? I don't know what line of work you're in, but loyalty is something too. As much as Im not a fan of Chief''s shtick, I think the Blaze strategy is a good one and I think it needs time. If in 2 yrs we're still doing the same stuff, I'd be fine firing him.

Add 2-3 more years of sucking, the further UCONN falls off the basketball map, causing long term recruiting issues.

Reaction Score
Do you seriously believe we will be in a better position 2-3 years from now? The program is irrelevant right now, its days after the new year and the only hope we have of making the tourney is winning the AAC tournament. The team has "fight" except when they don't. Ollie looks overmatched and overwhelmed on the sidelines and has for a while. Why you think progress will all of a sudden start showing is just blind confidence. We need to change, addition by subtraction. Blow it up. Better now than later.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
He has produced, actually. They won the conf tournament the year before last. Is everyone on this board 10 second Tom? No one wants to remember they won the conference tournament, which is a big deal!

Reaction Score
KO needs to value shooting much more in his player evaluation - Chill is trying to implement that via his Blaze plan.
More than that. Work ethic would be a higher priority.

Most of the players under JC didn't come in as lights out shooters. Their shooting and game improved from spending hours upon hours in the gym. You know this doesn't happen nowadays with the current players apart from a select few.

Reaction Score
Akinjo just signed his LOI...pretty sure that means he likes KO. We get chances with some big name guys yearly because of KO. That goes away if he leaves. Im pretty sure the players he has are loyal to him.

Yeah the players must be real loyal. Last years off season fiasco of transfers and decommits proves it. What makes u think the program isnt in shambles already?

Reaction Score
Yeah the players must be real loyal. Last years off season fiasco of transfers and decommits proves it. What makes u think the program isnt in shambles already?
Hell, if its already in shambles, why not keep KO for another 3 years so we dont have to shell out the buyout.

Reaction Score
He has produced, actually. They won the conf tournament the year before last. Is everyone on this board 10 second Tom? No one wants to remember they won the conference tournament, which is a big deal!
This is the problem! We're fishing for any resemblance of success and the only thing we can find is an AAC tournament championship saved by a 3/4 miracle shot. But wait!!! He won a NC...sure did. But if you're still hanging on to that you haven't been paying attention. After this year (assuming they go .500 - which is generous), we will have missed the tourney 3 out of the last 4 years, and that one year was the adams prayer. If you want to sit back and try and find production in that you're missing the overall point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom