Donovan Clingan | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Next Page Force, their 6'9 3 star big Cameron Corhen has offers from Florida, Georgia, Arizona, Illinois, USC, Texas Tech...

Better matchup will be tonight. Plays against #24 player in his class. 7' 220lbs. Plays for La Lumiere. Will say a lot about his ability to play against real D1 big men. I don't think he's ever had a matchup vs someone who is an actual high majokr center before. (Cameron C is not. He's a PF that plays like Akok, perimeter oriented)

Reaction Score
I guess the question becomes would either filipowski or clingan come here if the other one committed? My guess would have been that both are considered 5s and it’s an either or proposition, but is filipowski a stretch 4 in this scenario?

Filipowski is a stretch 4 in any scenario. He can play center in a pinch, but he and Clingan have vastly different skill sets. They would not have any problem playing together.

Reaction Score
That's the question, isn't it? I can certainly see him plugging right in at Michigan or even Iowa as @August_West suggests. Can you see him at Villanova? Because Hurley is building Villanova North.
Don't we need shooters to be Villanova North?

Reaction Score

Since the end of the season we have started prioritizing shooters much more. Basically everyone is a good shooter for their size except Ty Rodgers

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Don‘t want to be Villanova North. Want to be UConn. Shot blocking, fast breaks, pressure D, scoring at the rim. This is why I’m asking Dan to change. He’s getting UConn guys, not Villanova guys. Act like it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Filipowski is a stretch 4 in any scenario. He can play center in a pinch, but he and Clingan have vastly different skill sets. They would not have any problem playing together.
Then I guess it will come down to minutes for filipowski with Samson most likely being in that role already. Does he come here knowing a guy like that might be in front of him.

Reaction Score
One of my buddies bought the pass to livestream the events this weekend and sent me his login info. I should be able to gets stats and some thoughts on DC's game tonight. Really excited for this matchup, and I'd imagine he is too. DC has never played against someone as good as he will tonight.

Wonder if he's team goes zone to try to keep DC out of foul trouble or getting beat down the court defensively.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
One of my buddies bought the pass to livestream the events this weekend and sent me his login info. I should be able to gets stats and some thoughts on DC's game tonight. Really excited for this matchup, and I'd imagine he is too. DC has never played against someone as good as he will tonight.

Wonder if he's team goes zone to try to keep DC out of foul trouble or getting beat down the court defensively.
Where is the stream?

Reaction Score
Donovan Stats:

6 PTS
9 REB (3 offensive)
2 AST

2 TO
1 STL
2 BLK

1/13 FG (8%)
4/9 FT (44%)

Vince Stats:

15 PTS
5 REB
0 AST

1 TO
0 STL
2 BLK

5/12 FG (42%)
5/8 FT (63%)

Overall: Spartans were clearly outclassed in this one talent-wise. They’re scrappy and tough, but opponent was just bigger and more talented. They could make runs shooting the ball and getting easy buckets the spartans just couldn’t.

On the two big men: Neither of the top 50 bigs in this game inspired me with their play TBH. Neither looked as dominant as I’d expect from someone with their ranking… They basically did all their work when the other big wasn’t playing. I guess it’s different than guards though. Bigs take a long time to develop.

On Donovan: Atrocious from the field today. Footwork and athleticism severely limit him at both ends. Not a shooter at all, despite what people are saying. Haven’t seen it in a game yet.

IQ seems to be improving with his better competition over the summer. Positional defense and when to contest shots is better than I’ve seen before. Rebounding was solid, really solid. A couple of TOs but they weren’t bad for someone who passes the ball as much as he did. Really excited about his potential as a passer out of the post. Desperately needs an SnC program. I think he’s a guy who will need 18 months or more to change his body and be ready for our level of competition. Needs a post-grad or redshirt year IMO. Or at least a year to 5-10 minutes a game--he is NOT a started at this level until he gets more athletic. High potential with his size and passing ability at the college level.

My train of thought when watching:

Early foul… too slow gave up the and 1 on help

Good block on his matchup early on.

Clearly not as athletic as this other 7 footer or most anyone else on the floor… just looks awkward running and moving more than the other players. He’s also humongous, so it’s not so surprising.

Decent passing out of the post. made the right read, does look a little awkward with it though. Not used to this kind of pressure… he does the weird wagging the ball thing instead of actually making actual pass fakes kids do in middle school.

Seems to drop a bunch of passes, but he also gets A LOT of passes, so I’m not sure if the % is actually bad.

Legit 7’2 or 7’3 if this other kid is really 7’. He’s noticeably taller and thicker.

Rebounding was pretty good defensively… better than I expected considering the height and athleticism of Vince Ichukwu. He did a good job boxing out his match even when he didn’t get the board.

Was THIS close to a nasty putback, but didn’t get high enough to put it in. Wouldn’t been a highlight play.

I think he looks to be contesting at the rim with some more IQ this game than I’ve seen before. Helping early, taking calculated risks. Less waving his arm down at guards and getting the auto-foul from refs.

Doesn’t rebound outside his area. Not mobile going for the ball.

Cannot defend perimeter well.

His passing is MUCH better than Vince’s. Much better. Probably better than Sanogo’s at this point too.

Sitting A LOT of time. 3 or 4x per half. I think it’s a conditioning issue.

I thought his positional defense on Vince Ichukwu was pretty good. Mostly kept him from getting lobs/backdoors and such after he went 3/4 early in the game on those. Both of them defended the other quite well, but both are also very limited offensively.

Looks decently comfortable in handoff/passing situations at the top of the key. His team runs that a lot--very similar to what we do with Sanogo or Whaley.

He had one GREAT pass late in the game. Popped it over his defenders shoulder to a cutting teammate.

Both bigs got a bunch of foul shots, but not many on each other… mostly the smaller guys needing to foul them when they get a mismatch in the post.

Donovan has a habit of claiming he didn’t foul people when he clearly smashed them on the arm on the fast break, and probably could’ve gotten an intentional call… it’s weird. Pick your battles kid.

Reaction Score
Donovan Stats:

6 PTS
9 REB (3 offensive)
2 AST

2 TO
1 STL
2 BLK

1/13 FG (8%)
4/9 FT (44%)

Vince Stats:

15 PTS
5 REB
0 AST

1 TO
0 STL
2 BLK

5/12 FG (42%)
5/8 FT (63%)

Overall: Spartans were clearly outclassed in this one talent-wise. They’re scrappy and tough, but opponent was just bigger and more talented. They could make runs shooting the ball and getting easy buckets the spartans just couldn’t.

On the two big men: Neither of the top 50 bigs in this game inspired me with their play TBH. Neither looked as dominant as I’d expect from someone with their ranking… They basically did all their work when the other big wasn’t playing. I guess it’s different than guards though. Bigs take a long time to develop.

On Donovan: Atrocious from the field today. Footwork and athleticism severely limit him at both ends. Not a shooter at all, despite what people are saying. Haven’t seen it in a game yet.

IQ seems to be improving with his better competition over the summer. Positional defense and when to contest shots is better than I’ve seen before. Rebounding was solid, really solid. A couple of TOs but they weren’t bad for someone who passes the ball as much as he did. Really excited about his potential as a passer out of the post. Desperately needs an SnC program. I think he’s a guy who will need 18 months or more to change his body and be ready for our level of competition. Needs a post-grad or redshirt year IMO. Or at least a year to 5-10 minutes a game--he is NOT a started at this level until he gets more athletic. High potential with his size and passing ability at the college level.

My train of thought when watching:

Early foul… too slow gave up the and 1 on help

Good block on his matchup early on.

Clearly not as athletic as this other 7 footer or most anyone else on the floor… just looks awkward running and moving more than the other players. He’s also humongous, so it’s not so surprising.

Decent passing out of the post. made the right read, does look a little awkward with it though. Not used to this kind of pressure… he does the weird wagging the ball thing instead of actually making actual pass fakes kids do in middle school.

Seems to drop a bunch of passes, but he also gets A LOT of passes, so I’m not sure if the % is actually bad.

Legit 7’2 or 7’3 if this other kid is really 7’. He’s noticeably taller and thicker.

Rebounding was pretty good defensively… better than I expected considering the height and athleticism of Vince Ichukwu. He did a good job boxing out his match even when he didn’t get the board.

Was THIS close to a nasty putback, but didn’t get high enough to put it in. Wouldn’t been a highlight play.

I think he looks to be contesting at the rim with some more IQ this game than I’ve seen before. Helping early, taking calculated risks. Less waving his arm down at guards and getting the auto-foul from refs.

Doesn’t rebound outside his area. Not mobile going for the ball.

Cannot defend perimeter well.

His passing is MUCH better than Vince’s. Much better. Probably better than Sanogo’s at this point too.

Sitting A LOT of time. 3 or 4x per half. I think it’s a conditioning issue.

I thought his positional defense on Vince Ichukwu was pretty good. Mostly kept him from getting lobs/backdoors and such after he went 3/4 early in the game on those. Both of them defended the other quite well, but both are also very limited offensively.

Looks decently comfortable in handoff/passing situations at the top of the key. His team runs that a lot--very similar to what we do with Sanogo or Whaley.

He had one GREAT pass late in the game. Popped it over his defenders shoulder to a cutting teammate.

Both bigs got a bunch of foul shots, but not many on each other… mostly the smaller guys needing to foul them when they get a mismatch in the post.

Donovan has a habit of claiming he didn’t foul people when he clearly smashed them on the arm on the fast break, and probably could’ve gotten an intentional call… it’s weird. Pick your battles kid.
How does a 7 footer go 1 for 13 Jesus. He will fit right in around here.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
How does a 7 footer go 1 for 13 Jesus. He will fit right in around here.
Yeah, unlikely that a 17-year old would be projected to improve within 2-3 seasons with D1 coaching/training at a place like UConn under his belt, though guys like Josh Boone, Hilton Armstrong, Travis Knight, Jake Voskuhl might beg to differ...

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Hmmm…we’ll see what happens but apologizes maybe in order for many….

Reaction Score
If you've DM'd me and I didn't respond, it's because I don't have much to say on the topic. No, I don't think he's bad. No, we shouldn't stop recruiting him today. That is over the top based on one game. When we were talking about our 2021 recruits, I've seen each of them play in at least 4 games. Hawkins I've seen I think 12. Donovan had a less than stellar game. It happens to everyone. This is the first AAU game I've seen him play in--I have no idea if this is a regular occurrence. I'm not drawing conclusions from that.

What I will say is that

1) I think he has the potential to be an excellent college player because he is absolutely gigantic and passes well for a big. Those will be his best attributes going forward.

2) the difference between him being very good or not will be dependent on how he develops in an SnC program. His footwork is pretty good, he just isn't strong or quick enough for his drop steps/up and unders, etc. to actually be effective. He isn't really catching tons of lobs or dunking the ball as much as he should (think junior year Carlton). All the pieces of skill he's developing will be much more effective against great competition if it's backed up with muscle and mobility.

3) If I were anyone involved in his recruitment, I would tell him to take a post-grad year and reclass to 2023. I think going to college for 2022 and sitting a year would help him, but getting into a top-notch local prep school (Brewster is only an hour away!) with a good SnC program and solid competition would do wonders for him.

Reaction Score
3) If I were anyone involved in his recruitment, I would tell him to take a post-grad year and reclass to 2023. I think going to college for 2022 and sitting a year would help him, but getting into a top-notch local prep school (Brewster is only an hour away!) with a good SnC program and solid competition would do wonders for him.
Only an hour away? Does his family own a helicopter? Lol. It's about a 4 hour drive from Bristol to Wolfeboro, NH.

Thanks very much for all these write ups you do on recruits. Much appreciated.

Reaction Score
No disrespect to this kid but are there better options we are in on? I’d rather get another Sanogo than a semi unathletic giant lol

Reaction Score
Only an hour away? Does his family own a helicopter? Lol. It's about a 4 hour drive from Bristol to Wolfeboro, NH.

Thanks very much for all these write ups you do on recruits. Much appreciated.

Yep I just typed in brewster on google maps. Must have brought me to brewster NY instead of Wolfboro.

Still, 4 hours is close enough his dad could get to a lot of his games.

Just looking around at some good programs... TPS is only a couple hours from Bristol, 2.5 for Roselle, etc. Those could be options too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak