Donovan Clingan | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Michigan's academics blow UConn's out of the water. Don't be an idiot. You can't possibly think UConn's academics are on par with UMs. I GO TO UConn and know that. Their endowment is bigger, the town is way better, their undergrad rankings are higher than UConn everywhere you look.

Yes, 1 guy. And the 4 championships don't mean nearly as much as you'd think. It was a different era. Our current coach, as much as I love him, has no history developing NBA bigs. Howard does.

The reason we're recruiting at a high level is because of our brilliant staff and the big east conference. Our history is great for our reputation, but plenty of schools (including Michigan) have a good rep historically.

Wild how you can’t say anything on this board without irrational responses. You said nothing about UConn but mentioned UM’s academics. They’re a top tier academic school, there shouldn’t be any argument there.

Then it gets into a bunch of further discussion that you never brought up. Super annoying. Let’s not acknowledge that other schools have positives, it’s UConn or you’re an idiot.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is it. He almost seems defensive about it--he's probably sick of the questions. I would imagine the IDEA of places like Michigan is probably really appealing. But anyone who thinks we're out of this isn't thinking--the kid wouldn't leave BRISTOL for high school, let alone the state or New England. The hometown school is going to be in it until the end.

If I were his parent, Michigan would have to be high on my list though. Fantastic academics, great basketball and a recent history developing bigs that can pass the rock like Donovan.
Agree. Also if you are planning to take officials to other schools, why would you announce to them that they’re only secondary choices to you?

Reaction Score
Michigan's academics blow UConn's out of the water. Don't be an idiot. You can't possibly think UConn's academics are on par with UMs. I GO TO UConn and know that. Their endowment is bigger, the town is way better, their undergrad rankings are higher than UConn everywhere you look.

Yes, 1 guy. And the 4 championships don't mean nearly as much as you'd think. It was a different era. Our current coach, as much as I love him, has no history developing NBA bigs. Howard does.

The reason we're recruiting at a high level is because of our brilliant staff and the big east conference. Our history is great for our reputation, but plenty of schools (including Michigan) have a good rep historically.
If you think their academics are so superior, you’re the idiot.

Reaction Score

Can you even pump your own gas with this level of critical thinking ability? Good lord. I am aware you are never going to agree with me because you're a turdburglar that won't back down from a fallacious point, but it's a long weekend and I'm in a mood, and happen to have all this data in a spreadsheet right now. So here ya go:

The Center for University Performance
Michigan #6
UConn - #34-50

US News ranking:
Michigan #24
UConn #63

Niche "best academics"
Michigan: #36
UConn: #162

Niche "best colleges"
Michigan: #23
UConn: #158

Niche "best public universities"
Michigan: - #1
UConn: - #48

Wall Street Journal:
Michigan - #23
UConn - #104

Forbes:
Michigan - #20
UConn - #130

Education Corner:
Michigan - #36
UConn - Not in the top 100

Princeton selectivity ranking:
Michigan - 97/99
UConn - 89/99

Princeton top 20 public colleges
Michigan - #10
UConn - outside top 20

TopUniversities.com
Michigan #18
UConn #71

Money best public colleges
Michigan - #1
UConn - #30

Money best colleges overall
Michigan - #4
UConn - #46

CollegeConsensus
Michigan - #15
UConn - Outside top 100

Washington Montly
Michigan - #29
UConn - #87

Acceptance rate:
Michigan - 23%
UConn - 49%

FWIW my fiance got into Yale for her Ph.D. She was rejected from Michigan. UConn is ranked #35. Obviously, grad studies are less relevant here, but it's just more info I happen to have.

And let me repeat: academics don't really matter to these kids. Frankly, the guys we recruit aren't generally the brightest bulbs on the bush.

I go to UConn. I like my classes, enjoy the work, and have had great professors except for one that I really despised. I am not here to disparage out flagship state school, but it is not Michigan. We do not invest in our state schools like they do in other places in this country--it's a totally different game.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Can you even pump your own gas with this level of critical thinking ability? Good lord. I am aware you are never going to agree with me because you're a turdburglar that won't back down from a fallacious point, but it's a long weekend and I'm in a mood, and happen to have all this data in a spreadsheet right now. So here ya go:

Michigan #6
UConn - #34-50

US News ranking:
Michigan #24
UConn #63

Niche "best academics"

Niche "best colleges"

Wall Street Journal:
Michigan - #23
UConn - #104

Forbes:
Michigan - #20
UConn - #130

Education Corner:
Michigan - #36

Michigan - 97/99
UConn - 89/99

Michigan - #10
UConn - outside top 20

TopUniversities.com
Michigan #18
UConn #71

Michigan - #1
UConn - #30

Michigan - #4
UConn - #46

CollegeConsensus
Michigan - #15
UConn - Outside top 100

Washington Montly
Michigan - #29
UConn - #87

Acceptance rate:
Michigan - 23%
UConn - 49%

FWIW my fiance got into Yale for her Ph.D. She was rejected from Michigan. UConn is ranked #35. Obviously, grad studies are less relevant here, but it's just more info I happen to have.

And let me repeat: academics don't really matter to these kids. Frankly, the guys we recruit aren't generally the brightest bulbs on the bush.

I go to UConn. I like my classes, enjoy the work, and have had great professors except for one that I really despised. I am not here to disparage out flagship state school, but it is not Michigan. We do not invest in our state schools like they do in other places in this country--it's a totally different game.
This isn’t even a debatable point.

Reaction Score
Connecticut: “People think that UConn is already my decision because they are close to home but that doesn’t mean they are. Coach Hurley and his staff have done a really good job of building the program back up and recruiting me.” [Sounds positive to me. He's just acknowledging it's not a done deal.]

Georgetown: “I mean it is Patrick Ewing, he’s a Hall of Fame big man. It is also a good school and I can’t wait to go visit.” [Given how they have struggle. I doubt GT is a leader.]

Michigan: “Juwan Howard was a great big man and Michigan is a great school and a great program that is doing really good things. Also, look at what they are doing with Hunter Dickinson.” [Worrisome he's seriously considering them.]

Notre Dame: “Mike Brey and and his staff are great. I’ve stayed in decent contact with them through all of this traveling. Hopefully I’ll get out there and visit.” [Strictly a tourism opportunity.]

Ohio State: “Coach Holtmann and Coach Diebler I talk to them a lot. They are a real good school. I mean it’s Ohio State and the Big Ten.” [?]

Providence: “Coach Cooley, he was one of the first coaches to offer me, trust me and believe in me from the beginning. He’s a real cool coach, really an even better person than he is a coach. They have a really nice staff over there.” [No commentary about quality of program or looking forward to visit.]

Rutgers: “Coach Pikiell has done a lot for that program. He’s brought them from the dirt into the NCAA Tournament this year. He can coach, he produces good players and I like the school.” [Surprisingly positive.]

Syracuse: “They were the first school to offer so that is always going to mean something. They believed in me and trusted me from the beginning, they have a Hall of Fame coach and they produce good players.” [Always going to mean something? Faint praise. The Fruit is already out.]

“Visiting all eight is the goal. It is just going to be what feels right," said Clingan. "I want to step on the campus and just feel like I want to go here. Also, the coaching staff and who is around me and all of that stuff.”

[I like our chances.]

Reaction Score

Michigan #6
UConn - #34-50

US News ranking:
Michigan #24
UConn #63

Niche "best academics"

Niche "best colleges"

Wall Street Journal:
Michigan - #23
UConn - #104

Forbes:
Michigan - #20
UConn - #130

Education Corner:
Michigan - #36

Michigan - 97/99
UConn - 89/99

Michigan - #10
UConn - outside top 20

TopUniversities.com
Michigan #18
UConn #71

Michigan - #1
UConn - #30

Michigan - #4
UConn - #46

CollegeConsensus
Michigan - #15
UConn - Outside top 100

Washington Montly
Michigan - #29
UConn - #87

Acceptance rate:
Michigan - 23%
UConn - 49%

Rankings mean nothing. UConn is better academically.

Reaction Score
Rankings mean nothing. UConn is better academically.

Maybe in some given department, UConn would give you a better education. But measuring the education you get is basically impossible to do. It's all about research $, graduation rates, job placement, all that good stuff.

My fiance adjuncts an extra class at a UConn satellite campus to pay for our travel and (in my biased opinion) is a better teacher of content than any college professor I had at any of the 3 schools I've been to. But name matters. If I'm hiring anywhere in this country and see MICHIGAN, it matters. If I'm hiring and see UConn, it means nothing outside of the state of Connecticut. And even then, if we're talking an undergrad degree? I'm not sure I care much about whether a kid went to UConn or Central or UVM--I want to know their grades and what experience they have.

This is a ridiculous argument. Only on the Boneyard do I feel obligated to argue AGAINST the school I attend, for . This place is worse than the cesspool and town facebook pages sometimes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe in some given department, UConn would give you a better education. But measuring the education you get is basically impossible to do. It's all about research $, graduation rates, job placement, all that good stuff.

My fiance adjuncts an extra class at a UConn satellite campus to pay for our travel and (in my biased opinion) is a better teacher of content than any college professor I had at any of the 3 schools I've been to. But name matters. If I'm hiring anywhere in this country and see MICHIGAN, it matters. If I'm hiring and see UConn, it means nothing outside of the state of Connecticut. And even then, if we're talking an undergrad degree? I'm not sure I care much about whether a kid went to UConn or Central or UVM--I want to know their grades and what experience they have.

This is a ridiculous argument. Only on the Boneyard do I feel obligated to argue AGAINST the school I attend, for . This place is worse than the cesspool and town facebook pages sometimes.
Poe's law.

Reaction Score

I think, hope, he was being facetious.

Reaction Score
I think, hope, he was being facetious.

There are so many idiots on here, I can't tell. The opinions I would take as a joke with most people (ie. Michigan is a lesser academic school than UConn) are somehow taken seriously here. I'm pretty sure I could write that Sanogo should be our PG and 15% of this place would agree. I put him on ignore because I am trying to make my Boneyard experience more tolerable... so it's entirely possible he followed up with a clarification.

Reaction Score
There are so many idiots on here, I can't tell. The opinions I would take as a joke with most people (ie. Michigan is a lesser academic school than UConn) are somehow taken seriously here. I'm pretty sure I could write that Sanogo should be our PG and 15% of this place would agree. I put him on ignore because I am trying to make my Boneyard experience more tolerable... so it's entirely possible he followed up with a clarification.
No follow up... he's an idiot.

Reaction Score
This belongs on your Mount Rushmore of bad posts. And that’s really really really really really saying something.
Do you really think the difference is that significant? The hardest part is usually getting in.

Reaction Score
You can get a good education anywhere, even at community College but only the boneyard would be touting UConn educationally over Michigan.
I didn’t say UConn was better. I said the difference wasn’t that significant. Learn to read.

Reaction Score

Comparing UConn to Central or UVM is a joke lol. The gap between them and UConn is bigger than the gap between UConn and Michigan.

I've worked directly with UConn and Central people in corporate treasury at F50 company. No disrespect to any CCSU grads here, but there was a very very very noticeable difference between the quality of work that UConn people produced compared to CCSU.

Obviously UConn doesn't match up nationally to the UNC/UVA/UM brand of schools, but to say no one outside of CT cares about the UConn name is flat out wrong. We have a top 15 alumni presence in 2 of the biggest markets in the world - NYC and Boston.

Reaction Score

Michigan #6
UConn - #34-50

US News ranking:
Michigan #24
UConn #63

Niche "best academics"

Niche "best colleges"

Wall Street Journal:
Michigan - #23
UConn - #104

Forbes:
Michigan - #20
UConn - #130

Education Corner:
Michigan - #36

Michigan - 97/99
UConn - 89/99

Michigan - #10
UConn - outside top 20

TopUniversities.com
Michigan #18
UConn #71

Michigan - #1
UConn - #30

Michigan - #4
UConn - #46

CollegeConsensus
Michigan - #15
UConn - Outside top 100

Washington Montly
Michigan - #29
UConn - #87

Acceptance rate:
Michigan - 23%
UConn - 49%

Do you hurt yourself jumping to conclusions? I just don’t think the difference is as significant as you do.

Reaction Score
Do you hurt yourself jumping to conclusions? I just don’t think the difference is as significant as you do.

Shall I quote what you wrote?

This is just wrong. Very good academics, like UConn. 4 NCs since 1999? Nah. Recent history of developing bigs? 1 guy?

You can try to hedge your bet now, but it's already written down my man.

Reaction Score
Comparing UConn to Central or UVM is a joke lol. The gap between them and UConn is bigger than the gap between UConn and Michigan.

I've worked directly with UConn and Central people in corporate treasury at F50 company. No disrespect to any CCSU grads here, but there was a very very very noticeable difference between the quality of work that UConn people produced compared to CCSU.

Obviously UConn doesn't match up nationally to the UNC/UVA/UM brand of schools, but to say no one outside of CT cares about the UConn name is flat out wrong. We have a top 15 alumni presence in 2 of the biggest markets in the world - NYC and Boston.

My experience is only with students teachers and new teachers, but the only ones I've had problems with are from UConn. The sample size is only 20 or so, so I wouldn't call it huge, but I'd imagine that you're gonna see better work out of UConn grads than CCSU on average, just because it's so easy to get into and graduate from central.

I don't think we will see eye to eye on this one though. Which is fine, you're not a maniac like these other guys lol.

I know people from all over the country through sports mostly. People don't really know the UConn brand outside of basketball. I think when people hear a flagship state school name like UVM or UConn, they just sort of assuming the same thing unless it's a huge academic brand like Michigan or Virginia, (vomits) UNC. You instantly associate those schools with academics if I ask about a program. I'll agree that any kind of directional school probably sounds less prestigious on the surface.

Alumni presence is a totally different animal. I'm not talking about alumni hiring or having a big presence anywhere. I'm talking about non-UConn alumni perceptions of the academics of the program.

FWIW--the new Secretary of Ed went to UConn for his 092 certification and EdD degrees. Apparently, the NEAG school of education has had a HUGE increase in application and competitiveness for admissions since then, and they are anticipating more in the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom