Donovan Clingan | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Alright, last time I'm doing this because I've already explained it once to you. If you watch the "7'1" Donovan Clingan's TEAM SPARTANS vs. TEAM RIO | Hoop Group JAM FEST Championship" video posted above you'll notice that is a compilation of highlights from one individual game from this tournament. Now, during this game there is legitimately one athlete on the floor with a mask on his head, Bristol's finest. So, what does that mean? Well, as most of the players are out there without anything on their faces you can deduce that there is no mask mandate for this competition. Therefore Donny is electing to wear a mask on his face, nothing inherently wrong with that, perhaps he was showing an abundance of caution due to a cough or some other minor symptoms he's experiencing. Where the absurdity kicks in is when you notice that Donovan wore his mask correctly maybe once or twice throughout the game. Which begs the question, why wear the mask in the first place?

I think the disconnect we're having is that you think I don't understand playing basketball in a mask is hard. I do, which is why I don't find Samson Johnson running around with his nose out (along with literally everyone else on court with him) funny.

Did you watch the whole game? I'm used to the masks being on and off constantly. If you're saying he played the whole game with it beneath his chin, I might understand. But if it's coming on and off, that's different.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone reasonable has soured on him, as he’s a monster, monster recruit but more so I think it’s a reflection of where we are that, if we don’t get him, the world isn’t going to end. There’s still a lot of scar tissue from the AAC/Ollie era where everything seemed to be one step away from the bottom falling out, but with this staff and the Big East nothing is really ever “that” bad.

I’ll be through the roof if he picks us, but if not this staff has earned the benefit of the doubt. Things got a little hairy last year when it seemed like Omoruyi was pivoting away, but then we picked up steam with Sanogo and, I’m guessing if you had a choice of the two today, Adama wins hands down. I think most desperately hope Donovan wears a UConn jersey, but no matter what, we’ll be fine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m not totally sold on him , but with how much time Hurley and staff have put in here it would be a huge miss .

Reaction Score
True big men are the most difficult players to project/scout. Some super hyped-up bigs have been everything from studs to average to major busts. Even Drummond was largely underwhelming during his lone season in Storrs, though his potential was apparent.

Clingan doesn't strike me as a one-and-done player and I'd love to get him, but I'd still keep my expectations in check. I think he'll be good, eventually, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was brought along slowly.

Reaction Score
True big men are the most difficult players to project/scout. Some super hyped-up bigs have been everything from studs to average to major busts. Even Drummond was largely underwhelming during his lone season in Storrs, though his potential was apparent.

Clingan doesn't strike me as a one-and-done player and I'd love to get him, but I'd still keep my expectations in check. I think he'll be good, eventually, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was brought along slowly.
I think he is at minimum two year player, more than likely three. Think Udoka Azubuike at KU. Didnt do much early in his career, but was dominate by the end of his time. Really hard to get drafted because there isnt a role for traditional big men like this in the league.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The board seems to be weirdly souring on him. This kid is going to be a dominant college player at some point. Connecticut kid........must get
I think @Pgh2Storrs makes a solid case that would reframe Clingan as a "must recruit" more so than a "must get."

The program has progressed to where it's not at all an unrealistic reach to be going up against Michigan, just as it isn't a slam dunk to go up against a currently strong program that he's admired, because he's a local.

With the arrival of Luke Murray, there's been an uptick in identified mutual interest regarding a number of quality possibilities. We'll win some and lose some.

This isn't like it was with Diallo. And the losses of Achiuwa and Cockburn have revealed resilience and resultant growth in subsequent recruiting.

We're a fickle bunch. Recruiting's fluid.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I'm not as he is very talented and he would bring something special to the team and is a local player I want to see at UConn enjoying the Dairy Barn as much as I did

Reaction Score
Congrats on derailing the thread and soon to have it locked
I think it was more of the 5 different posters responding to the same post with the same answers than him, y’all don’t know how to drop stuff in here I’ve noticed LOL

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don’t know that Clingan is a “must get” per se, but you’d be crazy not to want him. I think that people look at his size and expect him to play like an NBA player. He is still a high school kid and his game is developing. But, as I have said before, his most attractive characteristic is that he is a good kid from a good family. He is the perfect kind of kid you want in the program and the family atmosphere that Hurley has established makes the program the perfect place for him. If he decides that he wants his dad to be able to go to every game, Connecticut is the obvious choice for him. No one else can offer him that especially at a school that values basketball the way Connecticut does. Personally, I’m looking forward to his becoming a Husky and watching him grow and develop for four years, but I wish him the best wherever he ends up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is what happens when we’re on a kid this long, not mention a local one. The roller coaster of emotions based on the info we hear never stops, and we know the Boneyard can be fickle bunch depending on the direction of the wind that day. He is 100% a guy we want, we’re going to have to win some big recruiting battles why not start now.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I think @Pgh2Storrs makes a solid case that would reframe Clingan as a "must recruit" more so than a "must get."

The program has progressed to where it's not at all an unrealistic reach to be going up against Michigan, just as it isn't a slam dunk to go up against a currently strong program that he's admired, because he's a local.

With the arrival of Luke Murray, there's been an uptick in identified mutual interest regarding a number of quality possibilities. We'll win some and lose some.

This isn't like it was with Diallo. And the losses of Achiuwa and Cockburn have revealed resilience and resultant growth in subsequent recruiting.

We're a fickle bunch. Recruiting's fluid.

On one level I understand exactly what you're saying, on another it's so weird to say that the team that's won 4 titles in the last 22 years is chasing one that hasn't won any in three decades.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don’t know that Clingan is a “must get” per se, but you’d be crazy not to want him. I think that people look at his size and expect him to play like an NBA player. He is still a high school kid and his game is developing. But, as I have said before, his most attractive characteristic is that he is a good kid from a good family. He is the perfect kind of kid you want in the program and the family atmosphere that Hurley has established makes the program the perfect place for him. If he decides that he wants his dad to be able to go to every game, Connecticut is the obvious choice for him. No one else can offer him that especially at a school that values basketball the way Connecticut does. Personally, I’m looking forward to his becoming a Husky and watching him grow and develop for four years, but I wish him the best wherever he ends up.

Agree with all of that. Definitely think it would be fantastic if he comes to UConn, for both him and UConn, and in some ways to build interest in the fan base that isn't what it once was.

That said, Dan Hurley is going to need to adapt to Clingan, not the other way around. Change his defense to fit, and find ways to get him the ball in the post. He's a unique player that can become dominant in college, if the team is playing to his strengths.

CL82

Reaction Score
Agree with all of that. Definitely think it would be fantastic if he comes to UConn, for both him and UConn, and in some ways to build interest in the fan base that isn't what it once was.

That said, Dan Hurley is going to need to adapt to Clingan, not the other way around. Change his defense to fit, and find ways to get him the ball in the post. He's a unique player that can become dominant in college, if the team is playing to his strengths.
I have no doubt that he will.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
On one level I understand exactly what you're saying, on another it's so weird to say that the team that's won 4 titles in the last 22 years is chasing one that hasn't won any in three decades.
You and I are both well-acquainted with the value of framing an argument. Yours has key facts that delight me and align with the trajectory we both see in the present-day program, but we also know that Michigan has a 70% winning percentage since 2014, and against lesser competition, UConn was at 56%. It's that latter number that accounts for the weirdness, and may that weirdness continue to recedr in the rear view mirror, as pretty much no recruiting target need be considered out of range, but will invite increasing competition.

And it bears repeating that UConn's extraordinary success since 1999 can distort perception of just how difficult it is to win those 6 games in a row. It's always good to recall the misses within that period, and, of course the climb from the Dream Season (in the year after Michigan won its sole Natty) to shocking almost all of the world that doesn't spend time here.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The board hasn't soured on him... there is just continues to be evidence to ask are we sure...? Could be become Kofi? Sure. My position has been consistent from the very beginning unless he is going to play serious AAU v. kids he is actually going to play in high major D1 more or less very difficult to assess how good he is going to be watching him beat up on Bristol Central.

Reaction Score
But, as I have said before, his most attractive characteristic is that he is a good kid from a good family. He is the perfect kind of kid you want in the program and the family atmosphere that Hurley has established makes the program the perfect place for him.

No, his most attractive characteristic is that he's gigantic and moves really well for a kid his size. There are tons of good kids from good families in CT who are five foot nine.

I'm sure he is a great kid but so are Carlton and Polley and we have no problem ripping those kids all the time.

CL82

Reaction Score
No, his most attractive characteristic is that he's gigantic and moves really well for a kid his size. There are tons of good kids from good families in CT who are five foot nine.

I'm sure he is a great kid but so are Carlton and Polley and we have no problem ripping those kids all the time.
You're not wrong but there are also kids with size and talent who are aren't as grounded. A big part of what makes Clingan attractive is has both.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

I have 4 years of eligibility remaining, if we're looking to get into a Necessary Roughness situation

Reaction Score
There are many, many stupid people on the internet in general and Twitter specifically, but please try to never be as stupid as this guy...
EF27A58C-89D3-44B1-B090-3290273B7344.jpeg

Reaction Score
There are many, many stupid people on the internet in general and Twitter specifically, but please try to never be as stupid as this guy... View attachment 67401

Let's totally ignore the fact that Donovan's mother passed away, which makes this on a level of asinine I can't really fathom.

Who tf goes on the internet and talks trash about a junior in hs?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69