Dom Amore’s Sunday Read: Why Cooper Flagg fits UConn’s model of ‘basketball people' | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore’s Sunday Read: Why Cooper Flagg fits UConn’s model of ‘basketball people'

Reaction Score
I want to believe this. I did believe it. But if he’s a UConn lean why is no one but Frank Isola saying so? Amore could’ve put “he is thought to be a UConn lean heading into the weekend”. If people know why not just say it?
There’s an obvious response to that, which is because no one other than Isola — through Scalbrini — has a friggin clue. The player and family are being very closed mouthed about the whole thing, and maybe only a handful of folks with relationships to the Flaggs know anything.

Reaction Score
There’s an obvious response to that, which is because no one other than Isola — through Scalbrini — has a friggin clue. The player and family are being very closed mouthed about the whole thing, and maybe only a handful of folks with relationships to the Flaggs know anything.
Makes sense. That’s just not normally how these things go.

Reaction Score
If it goes until next April, what’s the upside for Duke and what’s the downside for UConn?
Nothing. I just dont think him making a decision a month or more from now matters. I think he already knows where hes going.

Reaction Score
Nothing. I just dont think him making a decision a month or more from now matters. I think he already knows where hes going.
I think if he decides before March, particularly by the end of December, that is a neutral to net positive for Duke. If you believe UConn will make a deep run in March, that Duke won’t, and that UConn will have 1-2 lottery pics in next year’s draft, then waiting until April decide would be a net positive for UConn.

Reaction Score
I think if he decides before March, particularly by the end of December, that is a neutral to net positive for Duke. If you believe UConn will make a deep run in March, that Duke won’t, and that UConn will have 1-2 lottery pics in next year’s draft, then waiting until April decide would be a net positive for UConn.
He’s not waiting until april

Reaction Score
I don't think there's much to be gained by focusing on how much he smiles. He doesn't seem to smile much.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
“But, for me, it’s about relationships still."

In other words, the hugs. :)
Duke Blue Devils Hug GIF by Duke Men's Basketball

We didn’t pay for him to visit
You don’t know that. And who cares?

Reaction Score
Anyone want to puke?

puke GIF
I could cut and paste his reasons and apply it to any school. He could not have given a more generic response. Also saw the pitches the other players made and they were basically "dukes the best, education is top notch, yay us!":rolleyes:

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
It's wild to me that people will just make stuff up. Paying for a visit? These people dont know squat.
Based on pictures I'd say he's trying to look cool. He did the same thing for uconn pics. Unless I missed big smile ones. I think the uconn follows..esp with guys like Shabazz...mean a lot. I also think his connection with Hurley means a lot too.

Reaction Score
Soooo Duke insiders are saying we paid for Flagg to visit. Which would actually match what @kansashusky said before fwiw.

View attachment 92364
Yeah because it all started from the same source (and I use that term loosely).

We already discussed this and debunked that theory. Considering all the facts and what we know it makes absolutely 0 sense. None.

Just wait what we'll see out there if he commits to UConn. You're going to see all kinds of stuff about how UConn paid Flagg more and that's the reason he's going to UConn. And I will just roll my eyes at all of it.

Reaction Score
Did I say I did?
You commented to the other poster that they didn’t know for certain that UConn didn’t pay Flagg to visit. I remarked that you don’t know that they did pay him to visit. I never said you claimed they did.

Reaction Score
It goes much further and deeper than that. Most kids decide to go to a school because they want to play for that particular coach. Thats the most important thing. Coach, culture and competition is how most kids decide on a school. Can this coach give me the type of coaching im looking for to develop and succeed? Is the culture surrounding the program fit who i am as a person on and off the court? Am i going to be able to compete at and against the highest level and have a chance to win? If Cooper is the type of kid he seems to be then these are the things that matter most to him.

Reaction Score
We didn’t pay for him to visit
Imagine thinking this and also seeing the same recruit cancel a visit to... Kansas... The biggest NIL/Cash cow cohort currently operating in college basketball. Kansas is basically writing blank checks do recruits and portal-ers. If Cooper was in this for the money you don't cancel a visit to Kansas.

Duke fans are absolutely wild.

Reaction Score
Well his mother did do an interview with Goodman and Davis and spoke about the recruitment in pretty good detail. I'm not sure what you mean about "closed mouthed". Did you want Flagg and his family to tell everyone where he's leaning or going to commit to? I'm just confused what you're referring to.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
You commented to the other poster that they didn’t know for certain that UConn didn’t pay Flagg to visit. I remarked that you don’t know that they did pay him to visit. I never said you claimed they did.
Right. So what’s your point? That ant is crazy? He’s the one that made a definitive statement over something he knows nothing of. Not me.

Reaction Score
It goes much further and deeper than that. Most kids decide to go to a school because they want to play for that particular coach. Thats the most important thing. Coach, culture and competition is how most kids decide on a school. Can this coach give me the type of coaching im looking for to develop and succeed? Is the culture surrounding the program fit who i am as a person on and off the court? Am i going to be able to compete at and against the highest level and have a chance to win? If Cooper is the type of kid he seems to be then these are the things that matter most to him.
I agree with that and I think the differences in the bodies of work and results between Hurley and Scheyer will be even more stark by next spring.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom