Dom Amore’s Sunday Read: Why Cooper Flagg fits UConn’s model of ‘basketball people' | Page 35 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore’s Sunday Read: Why Cooper Flagg fits UConn’s model of ‘basketball people'

Reaction Score
Idk man even if that were true, does the perception matter if we've won 5 championships doing it without those types of recruits?

Stars are nice and all but we do fine finding the right players. There are plenty of 5* top 5 recruits that don't have remotely the level of impact that players like Shabazz, Lamb, & Bouk have had. They were all ranked around 80...
I’m not saying we need those types of guys to win, obviously we don’t. Optics do matter though. We just stomped our way to a national title and it’s looking like we can’t translate that bump in recognition into a single win on the recruiting trail. I just want to get a top player for once. Once. I can’t be crazy for wanting that.

Reaction Score
I’m not saying we need those types of guys to win, obviously we don’t. Optics do matter though. We just stomped our way to a national title and it’s looking like we can’t translate that bump in recognition into a single win on the recruiting trail. I just want to get a top player for once. Once. I can’t be crazy for wanting that.
We have one in Castle. Enjoy him, he's only here for a year.

Reaction Score

This fan base really tests you sometimes.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You’re not crazy.

The people you’re arguing with will never admit it, but they clicked on 5 versions of the same cooper Flagg thread multiple times a day for weeks because they know it matters, and they desperately wanted proof we can win this type of recruiting battle.

They’re hiding behind pretentiousness and petty insults because it makes them feel like better fans.

Reaction Score
It was fun while it lasted….I will definitely be rooting for duke and Scheyer to crash and burn
This commitment has zero bearing on my feelings toward Duke. Disliked them beforeFlagg arrived, will dislike them that one year he plays there, and will dislike them after he leaves.

If I had a time machine, I would go back in time and smack my little self for cheering for the Gminski Duke team. Then again, by the time I was 16 I knew better (unlike some people).

Reaction Score
Just seems like a weird thing to be upset about man. It's 3 programs in the entire country we can't outrecruit regularly.

We have 5 championships in 24 years. Kansas is an embarassment--half the roster are felons at this point. Duke lost a legend and Scheyer hasn't proven he's a decent coach yet. UK gets all the recruits in the world and still sucks.

Would you really rather be in their position? Part of our model of success is recruiting 25-75-ish, and that means we will whiff sometimes.
Just sucks that we win championships on the same level as them but we’re still the little brother that gets ignored and disrespected regularly

Reaction Score
If we don’t need those guys to win how do optics matter?

Reaction Score
I can’t believe this has to be spelled out. We’re still the little brother to the elite programs in recruiting despite our success, it’s bizarre and disappointing.

It doesn’t take away from the phenomenal job Dan and staff have done, nobody is worried about the health of the program, none of this should have to be said.

But it’d be nice to go into that recruiting cage with Duke or Kansas or Kentucky and come out victorious for a change.
It really isn’t hard to believe. Our program fell off a cliff after 2014. Dan came in and fixed it and now the 2023 title is getting us bigger visits. We need to play Top 10 basketball for a couple more years to really push into that very, very top recruiting tier. Frankly, I’m fine where we are. I’ll take one and dones, but titles will usually be gotten with 2-4 year players. We may actually be right where we want to be. I also know that trading a one and done for a good, experienced player via the portal may also be beneficial.

Reaction Score
You’re not crazy.

The people you’re arguing with will never admit it, but they clicked on 5 versions of the same cooper Flagg thread multiple times a day for weeks because they know it matters, and they desperately wanted proof we can win this type of recruiting battle.

They’re hiding behind pretentiousness and petty insults because it makes them feel like better fans.

I wanted him because he’s a good player, not for validation or proof that we could win this recruiting battle. Hurley has brought in stacked classes since he’s been here. That’s the least of my concerns. We just won a national title. That’s what matters and what I care about

Reaction Score
Oh well, once he commits it’s time to move on to the next. Can’t help the fact that he wants to be apart of the lamest and most cringeworthy cheerleaders in the world. I refuse to call those ppl “fans” as they know nothing about basketball and just want to show up and cheer.

Cant’t wait for a veteran team to knock them out of the tourney and watch them cry. Scheyer will talk out of both sides of his mouth making excuses like the twink he is and all will be ok

Reaction Score
If we don’t need those guys to win how do optics matter?
Because even though we win we’re still seen as a program that’s good but doesn’t really compete at the top tier with other blue bloods in reigning in elite talent. Harder to get top 5 talent if we’re not seen as a program that’s capable of getting it.

Reaction Score
How is finishing 2nd to a school that he dreamed of playing for all his life and everyone has assumed was a lock for months being disrespected?
Maybe he was actually a lock the whole time? I mean we’ve heard rumors that we closed the gap but who knows

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
1. School forgets to pick up recruit at the airport.

2. A gift of a team uni has recruits name spelled wrong.

3. Photo shoot goes 5 hours long.

4. Mrs. Fine starts calling recruit at odd hours.

5. Recruits' offered NIL package turns out to be nothing because an elderly secretary thought she heard "Offer him nil!!"
You should have led with #4.

Reaction Score
Because even though we win we’re still seen as a program that’s good but doesn’t really compete at the top tier with other blue bloods in reigning in elite talent. Harder to get top 5 talent if we’re not seen as a program that’s capable of getting it.
Huh? If we’ve won without top five talent and will win without top five talent, why would you possibly care?

Reaction Score
Yeah we’ve never had a #1 player or #1 overall pick. That’s insane for a program of this caliber and needs to change. Tired of hearing “oh well maybe next time.” I want to win on all fronts.
Yup, we’ve only had a #2 and #3 overall pick (in the same year no less). Shut down the program.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You’re preaching to the choir. I personally don’t care who we beat out. I was just shooting @HuskyHawk some bail as I don’t think he was upset or complaining. Just making a valid observation.

I’m glad it’s over. I’m pumped for tomorrow. Who is Cooper Flagg anyway? Acuff come on down!
Ha, it wasn't even me. But I agree. I've been saying all along that Cooper Flagg would be really nice to have, but he isn't at all necessary to us winning games. We're actually fairly well set at his position, as is Duke. If Cooper goes to Duke, some 5 star will be portaling elsewhere. What's the net gain?

Meanwhile, Duke's coach is on record saying he's going to change Duke recruiting and get more 2-4 year players. He realizes you cannot win with one and dones making up more than 1-2 roster spots. Experience dominates in March. I don't know how anyone who watched UConn, SDSU, Florida frickin Atlantic and Miami get there could argue otherwise.

Sure, UConn had a freshman starter last year, he turns 21 in a month. I did that just before senior year at UConn. Don't think it didn't matter to how prepared and composed he was. We are fine.

Reaction Score
Yup, we’ve only had a #2 and #3 overall pick (in the same year no less). Shut down the program.
My bad guys, I want less accomplishments for the program. I hope we never get a number one pick or number one recruit. I’m so sorry for being so stupid as to want the publicity that comes along with that. Silly me, wanting more for this program. I’m sorry, I’ll just be content with status quo, losing on generational talent that would boost the status of the program. I’m so dumb.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom