Dom Amore’s Sunday Read: Why Cooper Flagg fits UConn’s model of ‘basketball people' | Page 33 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore’s Sunday Read: Why Cooper Flagg fits UConn’s model of ‘basketball people'

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Nobody is overreacting, but anytime you bring up a negative fact, you suddenly hate the program and don’t believe in the coaches.

And to all the birds in my mentions chirping “WhAt AbOut CastLe” he wasn’t top 10 when we recruited him.

Who gives a crap if he wasn’t top ten? He’s a projected top 5 pick

Reaction Score
He wasn't top 10 when we recruited him, which is an important distinction.

Hurley's eye for talent could be good enough that we won't ever need to recruit guys that are top 10 when they commit to get elite talent. But I'd guess Castle is more of a winning lotto ticket than a repeatable trend. But there's always the tried and true 30-75 range and wait 2-3 years tactic that works even better than recruiting top 10 guys.

The most surefire loaded teams often have a mix of the two (like Villanueva on 2004).
All we need to do is keep winning. We’ll get there

Reaction Score
Hopefully coop is relaxing catching some hbo right now and watching Hurley inside sports.

Reaction Score
Matthew Broderick Jewish GIF

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It wasn’t as much of a big recruiting win over the big dogs as much as it was an incredible eye for talent.
I can’t believe this has to be spelled out. We’re still the little brother to the elite programs in recruiting despite our success, it’s bizarre and disappointing.

It doesn’t take away from the phenomenal job Dan and staff have done, nobody is worried about the health of the program, none of this should have to be said.

But it’d be nice to go into that recruiting cage with Duke or Kansas or Kentucky and come out victorious for a change.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Meh. Top-10 talent is top-10 talent. Recruiting services just took a while to catch up to the coaches own evaluations.
Yeah and I’m thrilled we got Castle before he could be stolen by our overlords in the recruiting world.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I can’t believe this has to be spelled out. We’re still the little brother to the elite programs in recruiting despite our success, it’s bizarre and disappointing.

It doesn’t take away from the phenomenal job Dan and staff have done, nobody is worried about the health of the program, none of this should have to be said.

But it’d be nice to go into that recruiting cage with Duke or Kansas or Kentucky and come out victorious for a change.
I agree, I just wouldn’t use this recruitment as an example of that. Duke had so much working in their favor here.

Pat is a big test though because we’ve been on him for awhile and his cousin is already committed.

Reaction Score

Well we can say we beat Kansas on this one. :)

Reaction Score
He guys, we should count our blessings we got Castle even though he wasn't top 10 when we got him. There's still almost two weeks until the season starts, hopefully the overlords don't pry him away before then.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
All the “but castle” people aren’t grasping we’d probably have lost Castle to Duke/Kentucky/Kansas had he been properly rated to begin with, based on our track record. That’s the problem.

Is it an actual problem? Or just something that you find to be a problem.

There's basically what 4 programs out of what 350+ that we aren't likely to get guys when there's mutual interest and we rarely are going for the top 10 type prospects anyway.

Reaction Score
All the “but castle” people aren’t grasping we’d probably have lost Castle to Duke/Kentucky/Kansas had he been properly rated to begin with, based on our track record. That’s the problem.

Just seems like a weird thing to be upset about man. It's 3 programs in the entire country we can't outrecruit regularly.

We have 5 championships in 24 years. Kansas is an embarassment--half the roster are felons at this point. Duke lost a legend and Scheyer hasn't proven he's a decent coach yet. UK gets all the recruits in the world and still sucks.

Would you really rather be in their position? Part of our model of success is recruiting 25-75-ish, and that means we will whiff sometimes.

Reaction Score
Just seems like a weird thing to be upset about man.

We have 5 championships in 24 years. Kansas is an embarassment--half the roster are felons at this point. Duke lost a legend and Scheyer hasn't proven he's a decent coach yet. UK gets all the recruits in the world and still sucks.

Would you really rather be in their position? Part of our model of success is recruiting 25-75-ish, and that means we will whiff sometimes.
I don’t think he’s upset. I think y’all are framing it that way. He stated that he’s not concerned about the health of the program. I think he’d just like to win one of these blue blood recruiting battles. It’s been a while

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
watching uconn fans talk themselves into something happening that was never going to happen was so cute.

love when the lil guy's get feisty! respect them! uconn deserves better!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom