Dom Amore’s Sunday Read: Why Cooper Flagg fits UConn’s model of ‘basketball people' | Page 36 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore’s Sunday Read: Why Cooper Flagg fits UConn’s model of ‘basketball people'

Reaction Score
I'm proud of our staff. We are making waves in big ways on big deal recruits. Even recruits we had almost no shot to start with. Duke had to close on this one or they would have lost him, don't get fooled by the "never had a chance" bs. He was coming here if that Duke visit didn't go well. Surprise surprise it did right? Of course it did. But this wasn't a waste of time this was real and we almost took it home. Exciting times in Storrs CT.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'm proud of our staff. We are making waves in big ways on big deal recruits. Even recruits we had almost no shot to start with. Duke had to close on this one or they would have lost him, don't get fooled by the "never had a chance" bs. He was coming here if that Duke visit didn't go well. Surprise surprise it did right? Of course it did. But this wasn't a waste of time this was real and we almost took it home. Exciting times in Storrs CT.
Rachel brought it home, eh?

Reaction Score
This commitment has zero bearing on my feelings toward Duke. Disliked them beforeFlagg arrived, will dislike them that one year he plays there, and will dislike them after he leaves.

If I had a time machine, I would go back in time and smack my little self for cheering for the Gminski Duke team. Then again, by the time I was 16 I knew better (unlike some people).
You make A valid point, but I think this takes me from passively hating to duke to aggressively rooting for the crash and burn.

Reaction Score
You’re not crazy.

The people you’re arguing with will never admit it, but they clicked on 5 versions of the same cooper Flagg thread multiple times a day for weeks because they know it matters, and they desperately wanted proof we can win this type of recruiting battle.

They’re hiding behind pretentiousness and petty insults because it makes them feel like better fans.
I don't think this is true at all.

It's the people who are dying for a top ranked player that care more about this stuff. I've seen too much of this to really care.

The sweet spot for winning is closer to 20-50 range for recruiting rankings, and that's where the vast majority of our stars have been ranked. The kids who leave early for the draft rarely have an impact for NCAA teams. It's just the way it is. This is always why I don't get worked up too much. And no I haven't been manically checking this thread.

Reaction Score
My bad guys, I want less accomplishments for the program. I hope we never get a number one pick or number one recruit. I’m so sorry for being so stupid as to want the publicity that comes along with that. Silly me, wanting more for this program. I’m sorry, I’ll just be content with status quo, losing on generational talent that would boost the status of the program. I’m so dumb.
We did grab the #1 guy a couple of times. Andre Drummond and Andrew Bynum.

Both times, it didn't really work out for us. Heck, Bynum never even made it to campus!!

Reaction Score

It's the people who are dying for a top ranked player that care more about this stuff. I've seen too much of this to really care.

The sweet spot for winning is closer to 20-50 range for recruiting rankings, and that's where the vast majority of our stars have been ranked. The kids who leave early for the draft rarely have an impact for NCAA teams. It's just the way it is. This is always why I don't get worked up too much. And no I haven't been manically checking this thread.
I’d agree that those rankings are our sweet spot, I think the problem is the class is small so far and it doesn’t seem like we have people in that range to fall back on at this point. If we already had a 4 recruit class then losing out on these two wouldn’t be as big a deal. Depending on the portal can be a crapshoot

Reaction Score
It really isn’t hard to believe. Our program fell off a cliff after 2014. Dan came in and fixed it and now the 2023 title is getting us bigger visits. We need to play Top 10 basketball for a couple more years to really push into that very, very top recruiting tier. Frankly, I’m fine where we are. I’ll take one and dones, but titles will usually be gotten with 2-4 year players. We may actually be right where we want to be. I also know that trading a one and done for a good, experienced player via the portal may also be beneficial.

It really isn’t hard to believe. Our program fell off a cliff after 2014. Dan came in and fixed it and now the 2023 title is getting us bigger visits. We need to play Top 10 basketball for a couple more years to really push into that very, very top recruiting tier. Frankly, I’m fine where we are. I’ll take one and dones, but titles will usually be gotten with 2-4 year players. We may actually be right where we want to be. I also know that trading a one and done for a good, experienced player via the portal may also be beneficial.

Yea, this. In the past 10-15 years we have just about as many tournament appearances as tournament misses. 6 straight years w/out a tournament win during our current recruit’s formative years. Just completely off the radar. Winning 3 titles out of 7 tournament appearances is absurd; that’s more like a ratio of F4 appearances to championships.

We are incredibly lucky to be in this current situation and it is a testament to our staff. We will continue to pile up successful “in the mix” seasons and recruiting will continue to improve (if it even needs to. This ‘23 class looks to be the absolute sweet spot). And the nice thing is even if we strike out, the portal always leaves room for optimism.

Reaction Score
OK guys. Not getting Flagg is disappointing. UConn will win without him. What depresses us is we got beat by Duke and their insufferable fans who are already counting their future nattys. If he went anywhere else it wouldn't sting so much. But Coach Hurley and company scared them. Any Duke fan that tells you otherwise is lying.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Not so fast :rolleyes:

Is this the local CT writer? I seriously doubt he's got any real intel. He probably reached out to Cooper's mom and she told him they're still deciding.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I want to know, but anyone with an On3 account want to tell us if there's anything in here we don't already know?

He is basically summarizing his previous article. Zagoria level creativity.

“I put my RPM in for Cooper Flagg to Duke on August 4, so I am not able to put in another pick, however, the intel I am getting continues to support that choice.”

Reaction Score
I’d agree that those rankings are our sweet spot, I think the problem is the class is small so far and it doesn’t seem like we have people in that range to fall back on at this point. If we already had a 4 recruit class then losing out on these two wouldn’t be as big a deal. Depending on the portal can be a crapshoot
I can see this point of view.

The thing is, we're really more reliant on the development of Ball, Stewart and Ross. They have 3 or 4 years here.

A 2 person class is not a problem, and you don't even need more than 1 in the portal, if the guys you brought in are developing.

Ball, Stewart and Ross can become versions of Andre Jackson and Alex Karaban.

The portal kid will need to be a shooter like Spencer, Alleyne, Calcaterra.

Big men are rare... and that's a big concern. Which is why Ngongba was always the real NEED in this class.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Sort of. Normally I don't care. Normally we don't pursue those guys. This kid is in New England, seems to have a mentality that would fit perfectly with our team, has connections to Donovan. It was a different circumstance here. The next #1 kid coming out of Memphis or Houston or DC? Whatever.

I remain convinced that experienced very good players will beat younger more talented players almost every time. The coaches know this, which is why seniors like Timberlake were sought after. A blend of elite talent and experience/maturity is the right recipe.

Reaction Score
Sort of. Normally I don't care. Normally we don't pursue those guys. This kid is in New England, seems to have a mentality that would fit perfectly with our team, has connections to Donovan. It was a different circumstance here. The next #1 kid coming out of Memphis or Houston or DC? Whatever.

I remain convinced that experienced very good players will beat younger more talented players almost every time. The coaches know this, which is why seniors like Timberlake were sought after. A blend of elite talent and experience/maturity is the right recipe.
I was just referring to the idea that those downplaying the miss were previously refreshing the page and absolutely locked into this drama. You can be the biggest UConn fan in the entire world and still have some perspective on this. It's not all or nothing.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Guys. No one pays for a visit. Maybe they throw cash to entice. But just to visit? lol.

UConn won the national title. Is ranked sixth in the nation. Has another top 20 recruit possibly headed here…

They don’t have to pay to get a kid to campus. I mean, are you serious? If I gotta pay you to come take a look, why even bother? Lol.

Cooper’s family isn’t that shady. No chance.

Message board people. 95% of it is BS.
I believe the "we paid for his visit" comment was merely being cute with the wording in an attempt to make us look like a lesser (and potentially corrupt) program.

On an official visit the school is permitted to cover the costs for the recruit (and immediate family) to travel to the school, lodging and meals. On that level, the schools hosting recruits on official visits pay for the visits. A school handing over cash just to entice a kid to make an official visit to that school is an entirely different scenario and in all candor, while I imagine that this does happen, I don't see how any top program would need to do this for any top recruit..

Reaction Score
I don’t know. Kid goes to duke. Plays 6 months. Loses second round because team too young.

The kid is real deal IMO, but they need vet players to get them to final four. Have we not learned anything?

1 and done team don’t work.

Go to portal and get players.

Reaction Score
You get points for getting the #1 recruit? Do those points get you national championships?
Exactly.

I will 24/7/365 take having decades of winning National Championships at a 25% clip with non-Top 10 recruits (due to strong individual & team development) over grabbing Top 5 recruits regularly and then severely underachieving with them routinely.

Some of you hyper focused on recruiting are absolutely insane

Reaction Score
I don’t know. Kid goes to duke. Plays 6 months. Loses second round because team too young.

The kid is real deal IMO, but they need vet players to get them to final four. Have we not learned anything?

What happens at Duke after this season will be interesting to watch. They're bringing in a load of 5* talent (once again), but if this year is a model for how Scheyer intends the program to be, not everyone is a OAD. They returned their top 4 scorers from last season for like the first time in 30 years and are a serious title contender this year and they didnt lose ONE player to the portal. Like it or not, that's pretty remarkable for the current landscape of college sports.

While I expect they'll lose the majority of their starters to the draft after this season, its very possible they return both freshmen guards they have (Foster and McCain) along with a few other players like Power and Stewart.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

They won't be that young. Stewart and Foster will be back, both 4 stars and TJ Power will be back as a 5 star not expected to be drafted. McCain could go pro, but isn't even starting right now. Scheyer has said the old Kentucky/Duke model doesn't work.

The more interesting question is whether the other 2024 commits choose to decommit. They have two very good 5* wings already and another 4 star wing. If they get Cooper, the 2024 class is four guys who are small forwards (Flagg can play the 4 but then does Power stay?).

Reaction Score
Lunar eclipse, give or take.
Solar Eclipse GIF by NASA

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32