Does the American take a page out of the BE and | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Does the American take a page out of the BE and

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If anything defines what CR is really all about more the Rutgers to the BiG, I have know idea what it is. 100 years of accomplishing absolutely nothing in athletics......

Increasingly, I think we make things too simple. The Big Ten is not looking for the same thing the ACC is looking for and neither is the Big XII. They all have differing criteria, and evolving criteria.

Rutgers looks like a Big Ten school. Big campus, large enrollment, major state U, good academics, strong research, has been playing D1 football and basketball a long time. That's the Big Ten model. They deviated slightly for Nebraska, but not much.

Rutgers looks a little like an ACC school, but the ACC decided that after adding Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Miami and VT, they needed something different. They turned down WVU, which was a mistake, and would have given them a much better fit than Louisville. They tried to fix it with Louisville. It was a patch job.

The Big XII doesn't know where to turn. It has BYU on one side, a WVU that is too isolated and no clear vision for what it wants to be. So they are frozen in indecision.

Reaction Score
You have no idea was is really going on behind closed doors.. UConn was left out solely because of BC. UConn was the choice of the ACC with Cuse. BC and BC alone was able to block it. It had nothing to do with how many years UConn was playing football. In the last go around, the ACC felt threatened that FSU and Clemson were ready to bolt, so Tobacco Road, sold it's soul to them to keep them on board to take the Ville. All of your idealizing and projecting have no merit. You may claim to be such an expert, but the fact is, you know nothing about back room dealing.

Pitt and Syracuse have national titles in football and are known as solid tier 2 opponents (striving to return to tier 1 ). I agree Maryland is a bball school even though they wrested the 53 national title from us because we didn't bowl; but the Terps were never homeless.

Yale, Princeton, Harvard and Cornell won multiple national titles in the 20th century also. In fact, an Ivy league team (Princeton) won a title in the same decade when Syracuse last won. It has been 40 years since Pitt was in the limelight. Of course, such a long hiatus is probably acceptable to you as the Irish haven't won a title in 26 years.

Make this an "idiot free" zone and leave!

Reaction Score
Im pretty sure I read in a couple of newspapers that BC AD was publically admonished by the conference for his apparent public glee at UConn's loss and told they were welcome to leave the conference if they didn't act like grown men if I remember correctly !?! I remember a couple of threads to that effect on a few ACC boards at the time too.

Reaction Score
Increasingly, I think we make things too simple. The Big Ten is not looking for the same thing the ACC is looking for and neither is the Big XII. They all have differing criteria, and evolving criteria.

Rutgers looks like a Big Ten school. Big campus, large enrollment, major state U, good academics, strong research, has been playing D1 football and basketball a long time. That's the Big Ten model. They deviated slightly for Nebraska, but not much.

Rutgers looks a little like an ACC school, but the ACC decided that after adding Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Miami and VT, they needed something different. They turned down WVU, which was a mistake, and would have given them a much better fit than Louisville. They tried to fix it with Louisville. It was a patch job.

The Big XII doesn't know where to turn. It has BYU on one side, a WVU that is too isolated and no clear vision for what it wants to be. So they are frozen in indecision.
You seem to have a good grasp on CR and I agree with you're post. I think UConn also fits both models but really are more a B1G type school(hopefully soon) in a critical area. My take is the B1G has got us(UConn) on hold pending AAU status while waiting for a western partner(BiG12?) to get to 16 b4 TV contract talks start in "16" !?! Imagine an Okla/Kansas or Tex on the west and UConn added in the east? Wow !!

Reaction Score
Im pretty sure I read in a couple of newspapers that BC AD was publically admonished by the conference for his apparent public glee at UConn's loss and told they were welcome to leave the conference if they didn't act like grown men if I remember correctly !?! I remember a couple of threads to that effect on a few ACC boards at the time too.
UM ........Flipper was admonished by the A.C.C that I know....the second accusation is pure GARBAGE

Reaction Score
UM ...Flipper was admonished by the A.C.C that I know....the second accusation is pure GARBAGE
No I saw it on a Cuse board for sure linked to a NC board IIRC? NO the garbage came straight from you're AD BCINGYA.....cool down and learn to live in the real world....this IS a UConn board not a BC board(do you have one? Y'all always come here).As far as accusations Im not accusing....just recollecting interesting blunders from Flippers regime.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You seem to have a good grasp on CR and I agree with you're post. I think UConn also fits both models but really are more a B1G type school(hopefully soon) in a critical area. My take is the B1G has got us(UConn) on hold pending AAU status while waiting for a western partner(BiG12?) to get to 16 b4 TV contract talks start in "16" !?! Imagine an Okla/Kansas or Tex on the west and UConn added in the east? Wow !!

UConn didn't look anything like a Big Ten school when I was there in the mid 80's. But enrollement is skyrocketing, and the campus is expanded and updated. Research is being prioritized. It's marching in that direction. Is it there yet? That's iffy. It already fits the ACC profile for sure. I do think it is ony a matter of time before one or both invite UConn, but that time may be a bit long for us fans.

I think the P5 know that their odds of a successful split depends upon numbers. They need something close to 5 x 16 to pull it off. They are well short of that now. I have little doubt that there are differing views amoung the schools and conferences, some with a long term view, others more short term.

Reaction Score
No I saw it on a Cuse board for sure linked to a NC board IIRC? NO the garbage came straight from you're AD BCINGYA.....cool down and learn to live in the real world....this IS a UConn board not a BC board(do you have one? Y'all always come here).As far as accusations Im not accusing....just recollecting interesting blunders from Flippers regime.
Ya excellent sources..........and stop playing the fence....your not exactly the darling of the Boneyard and your questioning my visits here?....Im not under any false illusions trust me, I don't waver or flip flop on my approach towards others in order to appease them. You seem to always have some recollection when it comes to B.C.. I am a member on a B.C. site, as you probably are on a Rutgers board. SO? what makes your visits here anymore valid?

Reaction Score
UConn didn't look anything like a Big Ten school when I was there in the mid 80's. But enrollement is skyrocketing, and the campus is expanded and updated. Research is being prioritized. It's marching in that direction. Is it there yet? That's iffy. It already fits the ACC profile for sure. I do think it is ony a matter of time before one or both invite UConn, but that time may be a bit long for us fans.

I think the P5 know that their odds of a successful split depends upon numbers. They need something close to 5 x 16 to pull it off. They are well short of that now. I have little doubt that there are differing views amoung the schools and conferences, some with a long term view, others more short term.
I agree again.....I also gave that much thought(P5 needs public support ie[numbers and always figured around 80 total(in prime areas) and all criteria/data insures IMO UConn can't lose out and I know exactly the feeling about impatience/unknowing can DRIVE FANS CRAZY not to mention w/recruiting and perception.

Reaction Score
SNY. Ask the AAC if we can sign with SNY and they can keep our $2,000,000. That's the only way to get more $ and build a schedule.[/
Football or even basketball independence is not impossible.
It's our current situation that gives this task an air of insurmountability .
If your team has credibility, and your scheduling is aggressive you will have no problem televising your games . Some big If's but:
The current available airtime far exceeds quality product available.
Make your own deal with Fox ,NBC,CBS,or even ESPN. You can cut scheduling deals with the BiG ,SEC,or even the PAC 12 ,all looking to increase their leagues profile with the playoff system. The downside of the AAC is a lack of compelling games.
An Indy scheduling group ,with BYU,Navy, possibly Cinn. as a base could be a lot more interesting.
The independent Football Association or IF A.
None of the P5 conferences will be able to schedule FCS schools ,and credible non-FCS schools are limited. Google FSB schools and look at the map.
First we have to get our house in order. Wishes can only become reality with proper planning.

Reaction Score
Ya excellent sources.....and stop playing the fence....your not exactly the darling of the Boneyard and your questioning my visits here?....Im not under any false illusions trust me, I don't waver or flip flop on my approach towards others in order to appease them. You seem to always have some recollection when it comes to B.C.. I am a member on a B.C. site, as you probably are on a Rutgers board. SO? what makes your visits here anymore valid?
You know me better than that or you're memories short?? I never said anything of the sort(more valid)....I said as guests this isn't a proper forum for us to be touting either of our rooting interests!! I won't respond to a lot of the anti RU stuff posted here every day but in the beginning I was a bit touchy I admit. You know I don't really like a couple of the privates and try to tell you its not personal but I make an observation/comment(innocently) and you call me accusitory?.....Yes I read RU's board but believe it or not NEVER comment or actually joined!! Like you're board I find it boring to be honest. I'm captivated though by the CR phenominem though and relate to the average UConn fan agreeing they got a bad deal.I can't say I wouldn't come back if the get in the P5 now because their good people as a whole wherever they now reside and the mods are tolerant/friendly within reason allowing a free flow of thought. I hope you won't take my comments too seriously?

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You know me better than that or you're memories short?? I never said anything of the sort(more valid)....I said as guests this isn't a proper forum for us to be touting either of our rooting interests!! I won't respond to a lot of the anti RU stuff posted here every day but in the beginning I was a bit touchy I admit. You know I don't really like a couple of the privates and try to tell you its not personal but I make an observation/comment(innocently) and you call me accusitory?.....Yes I read RU's board but believe it or not NEVER comment or actually joined!! Like you're board I find it boring to be honest. I'm captivated though by the CR phenominem though and relate to the average UConn fan agreeing they got a bad deal.I can't say I wouldn't come back if the get in the P5 now because their good people as a whole wherever they now reside and the mods are tolerant/friendly within reason allowing a free flow of thought. I hope you won't take my comments too seriously?

As a UConn fan it's hard to see Rutgers "rewarded" for poor athletic performance. Except that they weren't. They were rewarded for being a very good school for a long time, with a big enrollment, very good research, good endowment and sitting in a prime media market. Nebraska was rewarded for football performance, despite falling well short of Rutgers in those other areas, yet we don't complain about Nebraska. Maryland has the same things as Rutgers, plus better (but not great) athetic programs, and we don't complain. Of the Big Ten adds, only Penn State had it all, and even their basketball team sucks. In hindsight, it's harder for me to understand the B1G passing on Missouri, but it falls well short of Maryland and Rutgers academically, has a good market that is already served by Illinois to some degree and doesn't have an athletic brand nearly as compelling as Nebraska football.

UConn needs to make the sum of its parts add up. That means continuing to kick ass in basketball, starting to kick ass in football, and upgrading enrollement, endowment and research. All of those things are happening, pending the results from Mr. Bob Diaco. We already meet every ACC requirement, they just don't think we are a flight risk and they can add us at their leisure.

Reaction Score

Damn Nicky....perfect attack dog for a board. Not a UConn guy but sort of a surrogate. Kind of like the board's pit bull.... blasting out to the end of the chain, all bark, fangs, and drool.

Read something on an internet board, did you? Some board posts are by guys who have the intelligence of a urinal cake.

I think, though, that there is little doubt that the BC athletic director did not have UConn down on his favorites list.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He's half-correct - it was written that Connecticut and Syracuse were the initial targets, but Boston College, who I believe was one of the three members of the expansion committee, pushed for Pitt because they 'didn't want UConn in because they wanted to be THE New England team". The ACC did not offer to boot Boston College out, but they smacked DeFillipo's wrists in public.

Reaction Score
Look guys - the "Flipper" had the style and appearance of a wanna-be thug out of central casting for "Donnie Brasco". I'm sure he wanted all the credit for derailing UConn. (And, not being a "real hit man", he had to brag about it.) Truth is that he probably desperately wanted to keep us out of the ACC and had strong encouragement to do so from the two-faced padres ensconced in Chestnut Hill. (I'd love to get them in the confessional.) That being said, BC did not have the clout in the conference to do it alone. There were others that aided and abetted. And for the second go around, after UMD left, Syracuse probably lent its voice against us too. Nonetheless, given the gulag we are consigned to, UConn would still beg its way into the ACC. But I sure as hell hope we go to the B1G.

pj

Reaction Score
As a UConn fan it's hard to see Rutgers "rewarded" for poor athletic performance. Except that they weren't. They were rewarded for being a very good school for a long time, with a big enrollment, very good research, good endowment and sitting in a prime media market. Nebraska was rewarded for football performance, despite falling well short of Rutgers in those other areas, yet we don't complain about Nebraska. Maryland has the same things as Rutgers, plus better (but not great) athetic programs, and we don't complain. Of the Big Ten adds, only Penn State had it all, and even their basketball team sucks. In hindsight, it's harder for me to understand the B1G passing on Missouri, but it falls well short of Maryland and Rutgers academically, has a good market that is already served by Illinois to some degree and doesn't have an athletic brand nearly as compelling as Nebraska football.

UConn needs to make the sum of its parts add up. That means continuing to kick ass in basketball, starting to kick ass in football, and upgrading enrollement, endowment and research. All of those things are happening, pending the results from Mr. Bob Diaco. We already meet every ACC requirement, they just don't think we are a flight risk and they can add us at their leisure.

I bet the B1G regrets not taking Missouri. The current B1G + Missouri+UConn would be a stellar lineup. But, they couldn't foresee that they would be able to get Maryland but not any other ACC schools. Taking Missouri, and presumably Rutgers as a partner to reach 14, would have left them with an eastern island of PSU and Rutgers, not enough weight in the East, and limited opportunities for growth because they could only grow 2 schools at a time, which makes it hard to raid ACC or B12. Keeping Rutgers in their back pocket gave them more options.

UConn needs to grow in research, enrollment, and athletically. Ideally, it would expand highway access to the campus and facilities there. It needs to roughly double in size to be comparable to the B1G universities.

Reaction Score
Look guys - the "Flipper" had the style and appearance of a wanna-be thug out of central casting for "Donnie Brasco". I'm sure he wanted all the credit for derailing UConn. (And, not being a "real hit man", he had to brag about it.) Truth is that he probably desperately wanted to keep us out of the ACC and had strong encouragement to do so from the two-faced padres ensconced in Chestnut Hill. (I'd love to get them in the confessional.) That being said, BC did not have the clout in the conference to do it alone. There were others that aided and abetted. And for the second go around, after UMD left, Syracuse probably lent its voice against us too. Nonetheless, given the gulag we are consigned to, UConn would still beg its way into the ACC. But I sure as hell hope we go to the B1G.
if you got them in the confessional they'd probably say, 'we didn't harm UConn just like we didn't harm those altar boys who were in our care'.

Reaction Score
I read an article today about the 2003 ACC and I don't remember ever reading this before, but apparently BC was blackballed by one ACC school. The vote was literally 8-1 in favor of BC, and the invitation to BC was rescinded because of that one school. NC State. So apparently, blackballing can happen.

Here's the wikipedia version, and it is sourced:

Talks with Syracuse indicated that it would likely leave the Big East, but doubts arose when Syracuse basketball coach Jim Boeheim publicly expressed his disapproval of a conference change,[1] even as Syracuse and ACC officials proceeded with the formalities of official campus visits. Miami and Boston College were unwavering in their interest in the ACC, and Virginia Tech made it clear that they had long wanted to join the ACC. Finally, in a last-minute about-face, due in large measure to political pressure applied by Governor Mark Warner of Virginia on the conference and member institution University of Virginia, the ACC replaced Syracuse with Virginia Tech in its expansion vote. Things became even more surprising when, reached by phone at a conference in Switzerland, then-N.C. State Chancellor Marye Anne Fox cast a last-minute "no" vote against BC.[2] As a result, the ACC extended invitations only to Miami and Virginia Tech. Virginia Tech immediately accepted the invitation and filed court papers to get themselves out of the awkward position of suing their new conference. Miami, stunned by the outcome of the vote, delayed their acceptance until the last possible day. Miami President Donna Shalala explained the delay stating "We had numbers on BC-Virginia Tech. We had done numbers on Miami alone. But we had not anticipated that Virginia Tech and Miami would be the only two invitees."[2] The remaining four plaintiffs removed BC from the list of defendants and asked both BC and Syracuse to join their suit. Both declined.

Speculation that Chancellor Fox, a Notre Dame trustee, cast her initial vote against BC so that the ACC might consider extending membership to Notre Dame was fueled by press accounts reporting that a bid to the Fighting Irish was imminent. But in mid-October 2003, the ACC voted unanimously to invite BC to be its twelfth member, although because of timing issues BC was not able to compete in the ACC until the 2005-2006 season. When BC accepted they were returned to the lawsuit still pending against Miami by several Big East schools. After expansion, Jake Crouthamel retired as athletic director at Syracuse.

Reaction Score
I don't know how...since the voting procedures and numbers needed to prevail in a vote have been spelled out in the ACC Bylaws...and a 100% acceptance has never been in the bylaws.

FSU was blackballed by Maryland and Duke...and got in....and that too, is sourced.

Reaction Score
Probably the little boys always express some doubt in expansion when their share is going to be further divided with another little one.

That being said, I still don't know how BC got in the ACC.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Butch said:
Tulane's arena was built in 1931. If they have the right coach, they can succeed. It may also be possible to add more seats to the arena.

They just renovated it. Adding seats would be pointless, anyway.

I just hope that folks can get to the side of the arena opposite the entrance without walking across the playing floor as was the case forever.

Reaction Score
Maybe I didn't word it right Fishy.....IIRC the words were to the effect of" if you're not happy here your welcome to leave" by someone at ACC HQTs...I wish I could dig it up but I didn't realize the comment would create such a flurry of emotion on this board. Like I said the ACC was unhappy with that ackward situation everywhere I looked and BC's board even felt properly chastised. Funny usually I like BCINGYA but he takes any comment against BC like a personal attack. How does he think I feel ? Too his credit he never seems to bash other school's in the NE though.
Damn Nicky....perfect attack dog for a board. Not a UConn guy but sort of a surrogate. Kind of like the board's pit bull.... blasting out to the end of the chain, all bark, fangs, and drool.

Read something on an internet board, did you? Some board posts are by guys who have the intelligence of a urinal cake.

I think, though, that there is little doubt that the BC athletic director did not have UConn down on his favorites list.
Exactly right ergo my shock that someone I thought highly of would take me to task for just throwing in my 2 cents? Espescially given I'd taken up for him once or twice for the very same type of situation. I never realized he was so touchy but completely can understand his defending his school's administration! I've done the same thing myself.

Reaction Score
Probably the little boys always express some doubt in expansion when their share is going to be further divided with another little one.

That being said, I still don't know how BC got in the ACC.
I don't either. But like I've said before....its all about relationship's and I think Donna Shalala might be able to school us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom