Does the American take a page out of the BE and | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Does the American take a page out of the BE and

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's a difficult position because from a pure basketball standpoint, I agree that UConn is better in the Big East, but it's definitely a non-starter to be an independent in football. BYU can get by with it because Pac-12 teams (who, outside of USC, generally have lower attendance figures than BYU) are willing to play home-and-home series with them (as BYU fans travel very well, so the Pac-12 teams actually make money in their BYU games) and the ESPN contract is enough to get others to fill in their dates. Even then, it's difficult for BYU to do that from year-to-year and that's a school with a nationalized fan base.

So, the only realistic option for UConn that it can actually control itself (i.e. it can't force the Big Ten or ACC to do anything) is to join the MAC as a football-only and the Big East for other sports. I don't know if that sounds really appealing - as much of a mishmash the AAC might be right now, it's still significantly better top-to-bottom than the MAC for football. Faced with that choice, the AAC is still better overall for UConn if the school still believes that it can get to one of the 5 power conferences. Real and perceived football ability and history is what has bogged down UConn in conference realignment, so it can't take a football downgrade if it wants to move to the next level no matter what might happen to basketball. However, if UConn looks in the mirror and thinks that it realistically can't ever get to one of the 5 power conferences in this generation, then that's the only reason why you'd consider the MAC football/Big East basketball option in order to maximize basketball at the expense of football.

Tell me again what drives the bus? You say "Real or perceived football history is what bogged down UConn in conference realignment..."

The P-5 found homes/new homes for Rutgers, Syracuse, Maryland, Louisville, Pittsburgh. Was it because of football prowess? Don't think so. In fact Syracuse was in the midst of a 6 year slide when they got picked up and didn't have a national title since the fifties (about the last time an Ivy league team won one). Rutgers, what legacy did they have? Maryland? Explain? Pittsburgh? A glorious season with Dorsett in the middle 70s (coming up on 40 years ago) - then what? Louisville has been strong lately but had big bumps in the road in last decade. (Further, they provide proof that academic standards don't apply anymore in the ACC.)

Apparently it is something else. Whatever it is, we're not going to find it in the MAC/BE deal you suggest.

Reaction Score
Tell me again what drives the bus? You say "Real or perceived football history is what bogged down UConn in conference realignment..."

The P-5 found homes/new homes for Rutgers, Syracuse, Maryland, Louisville, Pittsburgh. Was it because of football prowess? Don't think so. In fact Syracuse was in the midst of a 6 year slide when they got picked up and didn't have a national title since the fifties (about the last time an Ivy league team won one). Rutgers, what legacy did they have? Maryland? Explain? Pittsburgh? A glorious season with Dorsett in the middle 70s (coming up on 40 years ago) - then what? Louisville has been strong lately but had big bumps in the road in last decade. (Further, they provide proof that academic standards don't apply anymore in the ACC.)

Apparently it is something else. Whatever it is, we're not going to find it in the MAC/BE deal you suggest.

I said it right there in my response: HISTORY in and of itself (not necessarily a successful history). I know it seems to be hard for a lot of UConn fans to understand since they are an elite basketball school with a lot of tradition (so you probably feel like you're an "old money" school), but in the eyes of the football world, UConn is younger than USF or Boise State. The days in the Yankee Conference and Division I-AA don't exist in the minds of the 5 power conferences - they're looking at UConn as having only had a football program for 10 years where the norm is to have had it for 100 years. I'm not saying that's fair or that UConn doesn't have more potential or that other considerations like markets, academics and basketball might outweigh the football factor at some point, but the youth of the football program at the FBS is a major issue (and that can only be cured with time). I know lots of people here have disagreed with me on this point, but just take two steps back and look at it again: when realignment is driven by football, are leagues giving a spot to (in their eyes) a 10-year old program in an inherently old money blue blood world? What do you think these university presidents have in the back of their minds when they see all of the positives of UConn on paper (which are true) but then passed over UConn when push came to shove for a vote? What do you think Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, and Rutgers were all selling? You don't think they reminded everyone that UConn FBS has only been around for a decade? Once again, that's not necessarily fair, but it would be naive to think that isn't being used against UConn.

Reaction Score
I don't see a P5 conference giving a sniff to the MAC school's whom I respect but I think FTT was saying here to keep it real and that until the music starts again there's worse places than the AAC? I've grown to like and respect the fact that FTT tell's it the way he see's it w/o being arrogant or malicious IMO !?! His blog is very civilized and intelligently absorbing on CR and he admits he spends much of his time engaging others nationally to keep his fingers on the "pulse" of CR ! I've become a follower on his midwest blog though I disagree with many of the posters west of Pennsylvania.

Reaction Score
I don't see a P5 conference giving a sniff to the MAC school's whom I respect but I think FTT was saying here to keep it real and that until the music starts again there's worse places than the AAC? I've grown to like and respect the fact that FTT tell's it the way he see's it w/o being arrogant or malicious IMO !?! His blog is very civilized and intelligently absorbing on CR and he admits he spends much of his time engaging others nationally to keep his fingers on the "pulse" of CR ! I've become a follower on his midwest blog though I disagree with many of the posters west of Pennsylvania.

I appreciate that. And yes, I don't think the MAC/BE deal is good for UConn football. So, as long as UConn aspires to get into one of the 5 power conferences, the AAC is still the best option because it is definitely a much better football league than the MAC or what UConn could realistically cobble together as an independent.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I appreciate that. And yes, I don't think the MAC/BE deal is good for UConn football. So, as long as UConn aspires to get into one of the 5 power conferences, the AAC is still the best option because it is definitely a much better football league than the MAC or what UConn could realistically cobble together as an independent.

There is no doubt that the AAC is the best option right now. I actually think that the football end of the league isn't significantly different than what we left. UCF, ECU are pretty decent, certainly better than Rutgers. Tulsa has history (hell even Tulane has some ancient history) and can upgrade. But basketball really takes a hit. USF, UCF, ECU and Tulane are pretty dreadful. Houston and SMU have some potential, as does Tulsa. We desperately need Temple to be what it was.

So Frank, what I think you see is a school with a strong basketball history, watching the basketball program take a stick in the eye, for the sake of football. The only reason to do that is to hold on long enough for the ACC or B1G to call and get us out of purgatory.

Reaction Score
There is no doubt that the AAC is the best option right now. I actually think that the football end of the league isn't significantly different than what we left. UCF, ECU are pretty decent, certainly better than Rutgers. Tulsa has history (hell even Tulane has some ancient history) and can upgrade. But basketball really takes a hit. USF, UCF, ECU and Tulane are pretty dreadful. Houston and SMU have some potential, as does Tulsa. We desperately need Temple to be what it was.

So Frank, what I think you see is a school with a strong basketball history, watching the basketball program take a stick in the eye, for the sake of football. The only reason to do that is to hold on long enough for the ACC or B1G to call and get us out of purgatory.

Pitino is on record that UCF basketball is a sleeping giant, I think he knows a thing or two about basketball. UCF got caught with their hand in the cookie jar so they had to take a step back, but there is potential there.

Reaction Score

I disagree with you on the UCF,ECU(about FB being better than RU....1 yr??) thing but in CR its really beside the point !! Its all about relationships esp in CFB that take in most cases decades to build and as I stated last week UConn is moving and has been at warp speed....we just need to TRY and be patient. UConn WILL get there soon IMO!

Reaction Score
At this point I can't imagine an A-10 school wanting to leave to come to the AAC unless there's some financial point I'm ignorant to.
The only A-10 school who would come to the AAC is UMass. They'd come in a heartbeat. It would immediately legitimize their football program. That would be the sole A-10 program we would ever consider.

People just need to deal with reality. UConn is not dropping football. UConn is not going into a basketball only conference. And UConn is not going to play an independent football schedule. So this idea of going to the Big East, or the A-10 for basketball, please jsut forget about it. It has no chance of happening. None. We need to hold our noses and hope that the AAC, disfunctional as it might be, eventually gets its act together. UConn, Cincinnati, Memphis will all be pretty consistent tourney teams. SMU, Temple, will be consistent bubble teams. We'll see about Houston and Tulsa, they could be part of the "middle class" with Temple and SMU that this league sorely lacked. And Tulane and USF will be Rutgers and Depaul. Lets not somehow pretend that bad teams are really good teams just because they play and lose to better teams. That is one of the fallacies that over-reliance on the RPI creates. Boston College is an awful basketball team. Dreadful actually. They aren't better than Central Florida just because their RPI is 201 vs 214. They aren't better because their SOS is 48 vs. 200, though that's what RPI would have you believe. RPI basically gives double the weight of SOS, so it makes dreadful teams in good and mid-level leagues seem better than they are. AAC being such a strange mix of teams, some good and some bad but none really in the middle, that RPI is virtually meaningless for it. It was pretty consistent in over-rating Big East teams for many years. Now that has been passed on to the ACC.

Reaction Score
Tulane's arena was built in 1931. If they have the right coach, they can succeed. It may also be possible to add more seats to the arena.

Reaction Score

Believe me HuskyHawk I'm confident people are behind the scenes as we speak working on getting UConn in an appropriate conf and AAU status accelerated too give some lucky conf on NY/NJ's NE flank greater presense from what little I glean from friends. I refuse to believe the UConn administration are just sitting still for this and certainly want to join in the CIC to bolster research and I agree with much of Freescooters post about sticking with it!! There's no shame in losing so far in CR but quitting is a different animal and thats not in UConn's DNA !!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tulane's arena was built in 1931. If they have the right coach, they can succeed. It may also be possible to add more seats to the arena.
I see you have faith in Tulane and its a great school in a great CFB location but due to its size will the average fans come out in support in Nola's? I think UMass could one day awaken too !

Reaction Score
I said it right there in my response: HISTORY in and of itself (not necessarily a successful history). I know it seems to be hard for a lot of UConn fans to understand since they are an elite basketball school with a lot of tradition (so you probably feel like you're an "old money" school), but in the eyes of the football world, UConn is younger than USF or Boise State. The days in the Yankee Conference and Division I-AA don't exist in the minds of the 5 power conferences - they're looking at UConn as having only had a football program for 10 years where the norm is to have had it for 100 years. I'm not saying that's fair or that UConn doesn't have more potential or that other considerations like markets, academics and basketball might outweigh the football factor at some point, but the youth of the football program at the FBS is a major issue (and that can only be cured with time). I know lots of people here have disagreed with me on this point, but just take two steps back and look at it again: when realignment is driven by football, are leagues giving a spot to (in their eyes) a 10-year old program in an inherently old money blue blood world? What do you think these university presidents have in the back of their minds when they see all of the positives of UConn on paper (which are true) but then passed over UConn when push came to shove for a vote? What do you think Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, and Rutgers were all selling? You don't think they reminded everyone that UConn FBS has only been around for a decade? Once again, that's not necessarily fair, but it would be naive to think that isn't being used against UConn.

FTT,

Again what history? Please illuminate the "historical" significance, real or perceived, regarding any of the teams mentioned that isn't either ancient or baseless? I don't care how long you been doing something - if you have been doing it badly or unimpressively, then what good is it? Let's talk about what the real reasons could be. IMO, suggesting that UConn do this or that with football to improve its chances belies the reasons for what has happened to date.

Reaction Score
History, to me, is just another way of saying "branding"....an imprint upon the national consciousness.

It allows teams to wallow in mediocrity for years but still be seen in a positive light....if they have built up a credit....Nebraska was great in football the 90's as was FSU...both had a mediocre decade but still had branding.

But UConn did not fall victim to better branding IMHO...the Huskies were impacted by several different agendas during CR which have been covered ad nauseum.

Reaction Score
My solution is to save football by getting UConn out of the southern mid-major conference it is in. Your solution is to play Tulane and Memphis in front of 15k at the Rent.
How do we get our football games on TV as an independent?

Reaction Score
Vuce said:
How do we get our football games on TV as an independent?

SNY. Ask the AAC if we can sign with SNY and they can keep our $2,000,000. That's the only way to get more $ and build a schedule.

Reaction Score
It's a difficult position because from a pure basketball standpoint, I agree that UConn is better in the Big East, but it's definitely a non-starter to be an independent in football. BYU can get by with it because Pac-12 teams (who, outside of USC, generally have lower attendance figures than BYU) are willing to play home-and-home series with them (as BYU fans travel very well, so the Pac-12 teams actually make money in their BYU games) and the ESPN contract is enough to get others to fill in their dates. Even then, it's difficult for BYU to do that from year-to-year and that's a school with a nationalized fan base.

So, the only realistic option for UConn that it can actually control itself (i.e. it can't force the Big Ten or ACC to do anything) is to join the MAC as a football-only and the Big East for other sports. I don't know if that sounds really appealing - as much of a mishmash the AAC might be right now, it's still significantly better top-to-bottom than the MAC for football. Faced with that choice, the AAC is still better overall for UConn if the school still believes that it can get to one of the 5 power conferences. Real and perceived football ability and history is what has bogged down UConn in conference realignment, so it can't take a football downgrade if it wants to move to the next level no matter what might happen to basketball. However, if UConn looks in the mirror and thinks that it realistically can't ever get to one of the 5 power conferences in this generation, then that's the only reason why you'd consider the MAC football/Big East basketball option in order to maximize basketball at the expense of football.
You have no idea was is really going on behind closed doors.. UConn was left out solely because of BC. UConn was the choice of the ACC with Cuse. BC and BC alone was able to block it. It had nothing to do with how many years UConn was playing football. In the last go around, the ACC felt threatened that FSU and Clemson were ready to bolt, so Tobacco Road, sold it's soul to them to keep them on board to take the Ville. All of your idealizing and projecting have no merit. You may claim to be such an expert, but the fact is, you know nothing about back room dealing.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I said it right there in my response: HISTORY in and of itself (not necessarily a successful history). I know it seems to be hard for a lot of UConn fans to understand since they are an elite basketball school with a lot of tradition (so you probably feel like you're an "old money" school), but in the eyes of the football world, UConn is younger than USF or Boise State.

Oh, if only we had the history of ye olde South Florida football program....not many football teams can trace their lineage back all the way back to 1997.

That's old money right there.

Reaction Score
The P-5 found homes/new homes for Rutgers, Syracuse, Maryland, Louisville, Pittsburgh. Was it because of football prowess?

FTT,

Again what history? Please illuminate the "historical" significance, real or perceived, regarding any of the teams mentioned that isn't either ancient or baseless? I don't care how long you been doing something - if you have been doing it badly or unimpressively, then what good is it? Let's talk about what the real reasons could be. IMO, suggesting that UConn do this or that with football to improve its chances belies the reasons for what has happened to date.

None of the schools you mentioned bore the stigma of being "basketball schools" which is a dirty word in CR. Exception: Louisville was and they kicked Florida's ass in the Sugar Bowl. But for that and the Maryland defection, UL is still in the AAC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I guess Rutgers escapes being a basketball school because they're just not good at that either - clever gambit by the Knights. All-around suckiness is like a protective forcefield.

But Maryland, Syracuse and Pitt are indeedy basketball schools and are known as such.

Reaction Score
I guess Rutgers escapes being a basketball school because they're just not good at that either - clever gambit by the Knights. All-around suckiness is like a protective forcefield.

But Maryland, Syracuse and Pitt are indeedy basketball schools and are known as such.

Pitt and Syracuse have national titles in football and are known as solid tier 2 opponents (striving to return to tier 1 ). I agree Maryland is a bball school even though they wrested the 53 national title from us because we didn't bowl; but the Terps were never homeless.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jim Brown took a once in upstate NY and I think Grover Cleveland was president when Syracuse won something in football. It took UCONN about 13 seconds to figure out how to make beating the tar out of the Orange an annual event.

Reaction Score
You have no idea was is really going on behind closed doors.. UConn was left out solely because of BC. UConn was the choice of the ACC with Cuse. BC and BC alone was able to block it. It had nothing to do with how many years UConn was playing football. In the last go around, the ACC felt threatened that FSU and Clemson were ready to bolt, so Tobacco Road, sold it's soul to them to keep them on board to take the Ville. All of your idealizing and projecting have no merit. You may claim to be such an expert, but the fact is, you know nothing about back room dealing.
Neither do you. BC was 1 vote in a league of 12 at that time. I am sure they lobbied hard but approval took 75%. That means BC and 3 other schools voted against Uconn. So Mr. I Know All the Back Room Dealings, what other 3 were against Uconn? And if it takes four votes, how is BC solely responsible? Were you there?

BC can not be both irrelevant and all powerful in the ACC. Do you really believe that Flipper had the juice over any 3 out of UNC, Duke, UVa, NC State, Wake, VT, GT, UMD, FSU, Miami and Clemson to block Uconn? The new comer was able to do it all by himself? Seriously, look at those schools and tell me again that it was solely BC. That BC could by themselves get 3 no votes from that group? Get a grip on reality. If Tobacco Road (Duke and UNC in particular), the supposed friends of Uconn, wanted Uconn, they would have made it happen. Uconn may not have as many friends down there as you think.

Reaction Score

If anything defines what CR is really all about more the Rutgers to the BiG, I have know idea what it is. 100 years of accomplishing absolutely nothing in athletics...........

Reaction Score
Neither do you. BC was 1 vote in a league of 12 at that time. I am sure they lobbied hard but approval took 75%. That means BC and 3 other schools voted against Uconn. So Mr. I Know All the Back Room Dealings, what other 3 were against Uconn? And if it takes four votes, how is BC solely responsible? Were you there?

BC can not be both irrelevant and all powerful in the ACC. Do you really believe that Flipper had the juice over any 3 out of UNC, Duke, UVa, NC State, Wake, VT, GT, UMD, FSU, Miami and Clemson to block Uconn? The new comer was able to do it all by himself? Seriously, look at those schools and tell me again that it was solely BC. That BC could by themselves get 3 no votes from that group? Get a grip on reality. If Tobacco Road (Duke and UNC in particular), the supposed friends of Uconn, wanted Uconn, they would have made it happen. Uconn may not have as many friends down there as you think.
There is no question that BC led the charge. Their former AD said so himself. It only took them, Miami, and a couple of their friends to put the kibosh of the whole deal. To keep peace, the other schools acquiesce, just like in the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom