Does the American take a page out of the BE and | The Boneyard

Does the American take a page out of the BE and

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
add 4 BB only schools to bolster the league. Does it make sense to add schools like Wichita, St. Louis, VCU and Gonzaga (or some other in the footprint)?

Yes it will dillute the pot, but BB is less than FB, and as witnessed yesterday, without a strong middle of the pack, this conference is fighting an uphill battle, even with 5 ranked teams.

Reaction Score
add 4 BB only schools to bolster the league. Does it make sense to add schools like Wichita, St. Louis, VCU and Gonzaga (or some other in the footprint)?

Yes it will dillute the pot, but BB is less than FB, and as witnessed yesterday, without a strong middle of the pack, this conference is fighting an uphill battle, even with 5 ranked teams.

Look what happened to Butler. Do you want to carry yet another bottom feeder? There are already too many. St. Louis wouldn't move from the A10, first of all, when it's looking at the BE, but beyond that, there are no guarantees for VCU after Shaka Smart takes off, and Wichita St., as good as they've been over the years, is not THAT far ahead of Tulsa (I'm talking program-wise, not this year's bball).

Reaction Score
It would be great if we could add Wichita State as we are already a hybrid because of Navy, but its not going to happen.

The best way for the American to improve quickly is to add some high profile coaches. Houston needs to fire their coach yesterday. A big part of the Big East's rapid growth was the greatness of the coaches in the league.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bottomfeeder Butler was light years better than 5 AAC teams this year.

130 spots higher in the Pomeroys than USF.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Those basketball schools would have nothing to do with this train wreck of a hoops league. If you want to see UConn's athletic program die, keep it in this league.

pj

Reaction Score
Those basketball schools would have nothing to do with this train wreck of a hoops league. If you want to see UConn's athletic program die, keep it in this league.

This makes about as much sense as, "If you want to see the Boneyard die, keep a train wreck of a poster like nelsonmuntz."

A few bad teams cannot ruin a league, any more than a few bad posters can ruin a forum. Otherwise Penn State would have ruined the B1G, TCU the B12, Va Tech and BC the ACC, and Washington State the Pac.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This makes about as much sense as, "If you want to see the Boneyard die, keep a train wreck of a poster like nelsonmuntz."

A few bad teams cannot ruin a league, any more than a few bad posters can ruin a forum. Otherwise Penn State would have ruined the B1G, TCU the B12, Va Tech and BC the ACC, and Washington State the Pac.

A few bad teams? Houston, UCF, USF, ECU and Tulane are not even trying to be good at basketball. They were downright terrible, and none of them care. A 7 seed is going to be a crowning achievement in a couple of years if we are playing 10 games against that dreck. How long will Larry Brown stick around in a conference that the entire college athletic establishment wants to see fail? How long will our coaches?

The train wreck posters are ones like you that advocate doing more of the same and expect a different result.

Reaction Score
A few bad teams? Houston, UCF, USF, ECU and Tulane are not even trying to be good at basketball. They were downright terrible, and none of them care. A 7 seed is going to be a crowning achievement in a couple of years if we are playing 10 games against that dreck. How long will Larry Brown stick around in a conference that the entire college athletic establishment wants to see fail? How long will our coaches?

The train wreck posters are ones like you that advocate doing more of the same and expect a different result.

Well yesterday you had 6 or 7 bad teams in the American next year. Today you only have 5. The league is making progress already. LOL

Reaction Score

And the temper tantrums and options you present are so much better? And of course things never change, especially in college sports. Every schools is perpetually what they were 50 years ago, so if they suck today, they will suck forever. Tunnel vision is just another of your charming traits.

If there is no place to go, where can you go? You can't sue your way in, you can't just announce you are in, you can not just pretend you are in a conference you don't belong to. The only other option is independence (as you already advocate). While the ultimate downside to any scenario is irrelevance (even in the B1G), one of the 2 options has significantly more upside than the other if you dominate the games. Independence will leave a largely empty stadium in East Hartford in the fall and will have BB playing a schedule that looks more like the MAC or MVC. At least in the AAC, you have TV exposure, you have bowl affiliations and you have multiple teams getting NCAA bids.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We've seen it before. The upper tier teams will elevate the cellar dwellers. Give it time.

Reaction Score
At this point I can't imagine an A-10 school wanting to leave to come to the AAC unless there's some financial point I'm ignorant to.

Reaction Score
Bottomfeeder Butler was light years better than 5 AAC teams this year.

130 spots higher in the Pomeroys than USF.

Maybe everyone should get on the bandwagon and just schedule teams 50 through 150!! No more 250-350s like UConn has been doing. Because as I look at Butler's schedule, I see Oklahoma State OOC and that's it. They play a bunch of solid low majors in Lamar and North Dakota and the like, whereas UConn is playing Maine and Loyola Maryland.

At the end of the day, their 4-14 BE record is no better than UCF's 4-14 inside the AAC. Neither had a single win over the top 5. Beating Seton Hall at 128 is like beating Houston at 143.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe everyone should get on the bandwagon and just schedule teams 50 through 150!! No more 250-350s like UConn has been doing. Because as I look at Butler's schedule, I see Oklahoma State OOC and that's it. They play a bunch of solid low majors in Lamar and North Dakota and the like, whereas UConn is playing Maine and Loyola Maryland.

At the end of the day, their 4-14 BE record is no better than UCF's 4-14 inside the AAC. Neither had a single win over the top 5. Beating Seton Hall at 128 is like beating Houston at 143.

Well the Pomeroys and the rest of the computers don't share your opinion. Now you can maybe come to grips with the fact that you can't watch 340 teams and don't have as much data... or you can be ignorant and stubborn and pretend that your opinion is all that matters and Butler is a bottom feeder even though they still finished in the top 100 ahead of a bunch of AAC teams.

Reaction Score
We have one way and one way only out of this total duck*ing mess. DOMINATE! Both hoops and football. DOMINATE!

And in good time we should be able to. Frankly, the treatment of the AAC by the selection committee is not totally off the charts. We have some in conference losses that raise some eyebrows and Louisville didn't really play anyone OOC.

Reaction Score
Well the Pomeroys and the rest of the computers don't share your opinion. Now you can maybe come to grips with the fact that you can't watch 340 teams and don't have as much data... or you can be ignorant and stubborn and pretend that your opinion is all that matters and Butler is a bottom feeder even though they still finished in the top 100 ahead of a bunch of AAC teams.

Don't share my opinion about what?

I already stated it's better to beat NJIT than it is to beat Maine.

That's the difference right there. one is top 110 and the other is 300.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And the temper tantrums and options you present are so much better? And of course things never change, especially in college sports. Every schools is perpetually what they were 50 years ago, so if they suck today, they will suck forever. Tunnel vision is just another of your charming traits.

If there is no place to go, where can you go? You can't sue your way in, you can't just announce you are in, you can not just pretend you are in a conference you don't belong to. The only other option is independence (as you already advocate). While the ultimate downside to any scenario is irrelevance (even in the B1G), one of the 2 options has significantly more upside than the other if you dominate the games. Independence will leave a largely empty stadium in East Hartford in the fall and will have BB playing a schedule that looks more like the MAC or MVC. At least in the AAC, you have TV exposure, you have bowl affiliations and you have multiple teams getting NCAA bids.

The A10 would take UConn in a heartbeat, and I believe the Big East would too. The Big East has experienced a downtick in attendance (albeit in an off year for several programs), and PC, SJU and SHU would love another guaranteed draw on their home schedule. Fox would like us too. The Big East makes a lot more money per school than the American. Football independence will be no worse than the AAC, and likely a lot better if we can get a contract with SNY.

There will be a lot fewer games against FCS schools going forward. The Big 10 has already discontinued them, and I expect other conferences to follow suit, or at least strongly discourage them. That leaves a lot of games and spots in schedules to fill. Scheduling as a football independent will not be that tough, and UConn will just fill November with games against the academies and BYU.

All the financial data supports my position. The ratings and attendance data show that it is possible to get into the Big East. The scheduling trends mean that the biggest challenge of football independence, the schedule, may not be as big a problem going forward. And the AAC is strangling the life out of our athletic program.

Me being right, and you being wrong, is not a temper tantrum. I don't understand why so many people continues to argue with me on this when the fact pattern is increasingly strong in my favor.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
One final thought, with Fox's investment in the Big East, there is no way the Big East gets left behind. Fox is too powerful.

Reaction Score
One final thought, with Fox's investment in the Big East, there is no way the Big East gets left behind. Fox is too powerful.

Left behind? WTF are you talking about Freakshow? How is our basketball program in danger of getting left behind? Your solution to all of our problems is to give up and throw football into the toilet so we can be a permanent member of the C7 league, you were an idiot yesterday and today you are an idiot with a megaphone. Turn in your fan card jack ass and go root for Providence.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The A10 would take UConn in a heartbeat

You do realize the best team in the A10 over the last 20 years gleefully joined our basketball league this year.

Lets play Fordham and URI on channel 20, sounds like fun. Play the games in the Fieldhouse too.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Left behind? WTF are you talking about Freakshow? How is our basketball program in danger of getting left behind? Your solution to all of our problems is to give up and throw football into the toilet so we can be a permanent member of the C7 league, you were an idiot yesterday and today you are an idiot with a megaphone. Turn in your fan card jack ass and go root for Providence.

My solution is to save football by getting UConn out of the southern mid-major conference it is in. Your solution is to play Tulane and Memphis in front of 15k at the Rent.

Reaction Score
Reading the back and forth...my homer thought is.."at least UConn made the dance".

My perennial bubble team did not....beating UMass and VCU in OOC while losing to Florida by one point and to Michigan by a basket.

FSU needed another win or not a bad loss...Playing Virginia three times and losing, Syracuse, Duke, and North Carolina and losing killed the chance...along with an RPI of 54.

If the Huskies dominate their conference, play good basketball and beat a couple of good OOC teams, they should be able to pull down a decent seed. I see more hope for UConn in the AAC then I do for FSU in the ACC.

Reaction Score
The A10 would take UConn in a heartbeat, and I believe the Big East would too. The Big East has experienced a downtick in attendance (albeit in an off year for several programs), and PC, SJU and SHU would love another guaranteed draw on their home schedule. Fox would like us too. The Big East makes a lot more money per school than the American. Football independence will be no worse than the AAC, and likely a lot better if we can get a contract with SNY.

There will be a lot fewer games against FCS schools going forward. The Big 10 has already discontinued them, and I expect other conferences to follow suit, or at least strongly discourage them. That leaves a lot of games and spots in schedules to fill. Scheduling as a football independent will not be that tough, and UConn will just fill November with games against the academies and BYU.

All the financial data supports my position. The ratings and attendance data show that it is possible to get into the Big East. The scheduling trends mean that the biggest challenge of football independence, the schedule, may not be as big a problem going forward. And the AAC is strangling the life out of our athletic program.

Me being right, and you being wrong, is not a temper tantrum. I don't understand why so many people continues to argue with me on this when the fact pattern is increasingly strong in my favor.
Please oh wise sage tell me who Uconn will be scheduling as an independent that will be so much better than the AAC? The B1g is going to 9 games. The ACC teams are not all going to schedule Uconn in 1 season but I will give you 1 game per year from Wake or Cuse or maybe even Pitt but rarely will those be at home. C-USA and the MAC may be going to 9 game schedules which limits your chances of getting them on the schedule. So tell me how the great scheduling trend in the new format benefits an independent Uconn. A steady home diet of W. MI, Buffalo, Umass, RI/ME/UNH, Army, NM State and Stoney Brook. BYU will not be an annual game. Uconn will not be able to afford the trip west every other year for that game. So tell me how that home schedule will draw so much better than the AAC.

Please tell me how great the recruiting for FB will be with Uconn playing on a sports regional that airs Uconn games generally when they are produced on someone else's dime? What recruit outside of NY and CT and maybe the occasional low level NJ recruit will care about Uconn FB?

Your plan basically says Uconn needs to make FB be what it is at Nova, FCS competitive. And with FB de-emphasized, maybe the BE takes Uconn. There is no guarantee their revenue projections sky rocket with Uconn included. In the meantime, the state has a stadium without a home team in East Hartford, attendance will top out at 10,000 and move back to an on campus stadium, the state loses hundreds of millions in sunk costs and more in debt service payments.

Please post all the links to the financial data that supports your position and we can do the math together. Let's not forget the financial penalty Uconn will have to pay withdrawing from the AAC, including giving up all the fees from the BE break up. Do the NPV analysis of the two scenarios over 10 years. In your scenario, don't forget to put the FB costs as a big negative (until they move to FCS and then you can use a smaller negative number due to fewer scholarships and cheaper coaching staffs) because there will be zero TV and bowl revenue there, and then tell me again how the numbers support your conclusion.

Even a broken clock is right a maximum of two minutes a day. That means it it is wrong 1,438 other minutes. You are not right just because you say so.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Look, I hate the league, but these things are cyclical. Tulsa isn't far off from Wichita State, and may be the better of the two next year. Tulsa is in the tournament folks. Tulane was .500 in CUSA, whatever that's worth. Houston is trying to improve, has history and did get better as the season went on. The two Florida schools are awful and will stay that way. I don't know how long these OOC schedules have been in place, but the CUSA schools are used to playing the dregs, and haven't scheduled up. I think they will start doing that, maybe recruiting better, and the league can improve. Adding basketball only schools is the wrong move, and the good ones wouldn't join.

We knew this was coming. The AAC is a better football conference than it is a basketball conference. It's not far off where we were for football, but it's a long, long way from the old Big East in basketball.

Reaction Score
It would be great if we could add Wichita State as we are already a hybrid because of Navy, but its not going to happen.

The best way for the American to improve quickly is to add some high profile coaches. Houston needs to fire their coach yesterday. A big part of the Big East's rapid growth was the greatness of the coaches in the league.

I agree on the Coaches (good point), and everyone in the league needs to improve on their “out of conference” schedule in all of the sports, especially UConn. And after this weekend, I have come to the conclusion that the AAC also really should be looking at a Commissioner change (not impressed at all).

Reaction Score

It's a difficult position because from a pure basketball standpoint, I agree that UConn is better in the Big East, but it's definitely a non-starter to be an independent in football. BYU can get by with it because Pac-12 teams (who, outside of USC, generally have lower attendance figures than BYU) are willing to play home-and-home series with them (as BYU fans travel very well, so the Pac-12 teams actually make money in their BYU games) and the ESPN contract is enough to get others to fill in their dates. Even then, it's difficult for BYU to do that from year-to-year and that's a school with a nationalized fan base.

So, the only realistic option for UConn that it can actually control itself (i.e. it can't force the Big Ten or ACC to do anything) is to join the MAC as a football-only and the Big East for other sports. I don't know if that sounds really appealing - as much of a mishmash the AAC might be right now, it's still significantly better top-to-bottom than the MAC for football. Faced with that choice, the AAC is still better overall for UConn if the school still believes that it can get to one of the 5 power conferences. Real and perceived football ability and history is what has bogged down UConn in conference realignment, so it can't take a football downgrade if it wants to move to the next level no matter what might happen to basketball. However, if UConn looks in the mirror and thinks that it realistically can't ever get to one of the 5 power conferences in this generation, then that's the only reason why you'd consider the MAC football/Big East basketball option in order to maximize basketball at the expense of football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom