Does the American take a page out of the BE and | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Does the American take a page out of the BE and

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't know how...since the voting procedures and numbers needed to prevail in a vote have been spelled out in the ACC Bylaws...and a 100% acceptance has never been in the bylaws.

FSU was blackballed by Maryland and Duke...and got in....and that too, is sourced.

Time and era. It could be that committee members now respect each other's interests a lot more. BC suffered for that one vote. Miami almost put the brakes on everything because of that vote. This is why I call it a blackball because I know it goes against the bylaws. But sometimes the power of the blackball goes well beyond that one solitary vote.

Reaction Score

1.2 rating isn't bad for the American especially since--compared to last year's BET--we got a bad start time. 6 pm on a Saturday night when most people are preparing for the night out.

I bet that rises to 1.5-1.8 if it was a typical BE start time (9 pm).

The thing to remember is that this looks bad for the new BET because you're looking at %s but if you go back and look at the 2011 and 2012 BE finals, you'll see 3.3m and 3.4m viewers. To put this in perspective, the ACC final got 2.2m in those years. So the BET was by far and away the most popular final to watch. It's better for the new conferences, AAC and NBE, to be compared to the SEC for instance.

The thing that should really be concerning for the NBE is having lower ratings than CUSA or MWC or A10.

Reaction Score
I think what really happens...is that nobody knows the first vote results...a straw vote that tests viability.

The official vote is all that may get recorded....and many times, the losers in a straw vote will vote in the official vote with the winners in order to maintain the appearance of solidarity.

Reaction Score
I read an article today about the 2003 ACC and I don't remember ever reading this before, but apparently BC was blackballed by one ACC school. The vote was literally 8-1 in favor of BC, and the invitation to BC was rescinded because of that one school. NC State. So apparently, blackballing can happen.

Here's the wikipedia version, and it is sourced:
This just proves on thing. ND was behind the 2003 effort and at the end was instrumental in killing the BE.

Which is consistent with the fact that ND is the most evil and cut throat athletic department in the country.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reading the back and forth...my homer thought is.."at least UConn made the dance".

My perennial bubble team did not....beating UMass and VCU in OOC while losing to Florida by one point and to Michigan by a basket.

FSU needed another win or not a bad loss...Playing Virginia three times and losing, Syracuse, Duke, and North Carolina and losing killed the chance...along with an RPI of 54.

If the Huskies dominate their conference, play good basketball and beat a couple of good OOC teams, they should be able to pull down a decent seed. I see more hope for UConn in the AAC then I do for FSU in the ACC.
Um, well we could trade conference affiliation....if you want. I mean you are unhappy with where you are and I, uh, guess we be okay with it..., ah... just for the change, you know? PM me and we can hammer out the details. You know.. uh.. if you want. It uh, really doesn't matter to me either way...but PM me.

Reaction Score
1.2 rating isn't bad for the American especially since--compared to last year's BET--we got a bad start time. 6 pm on a Saturday night when most people are preparing for the night out.

I bet that rises to 1.5-1.8 if it was a typical BE start time (9 pm).

The thing to remember is that this looks bad for the new BET because you're looking at %s but if you go back and look at the 2011 and 2012 BE finals, you'll see 3.3m and 3.4m viewers. To put this in perspective, the ACC final got 2.2m in those years. So the BET was by far and away the most popular final to watch. It's better for the new conferences, AAC and NBE, to be compared to the SEC for instance.

The thing that should really be concerning for the NBE is having lower ratings than CUSA or MWC or A10.
A couple of comments on the ratings that I see are that CBS has lousy conference finals. Jeez, considering they have the NCAA tourney they end up with the Big 10 and 3 pretty crappy others. Any chance the AAC manages to get a deal to get its title game on CBS?

In todays over-saturated college basketball media scene, I also think teams matter. Creighton-Providence might as well be Latvia-Bellorus. They aren't teams anyone has heard of or cares about outside Rhode Island and Central Nebraska. They could have been on prime time on ESPN, ABC, CBS and NBC and they'd still struggle to get more viewers than Brady bunch re-runs. UConn-Louisville was a blessing for the AAC in year 1.Maybe a sign our luck is changing finally. had the final been two lesser known entities we'd probably seen much worse numbers. In a similar vein, Florida-Kentucky was likely up because it was Florida-Kentucky. Replace one of those with Teas A&M and ratings plummet. Same with the ACC. Duke is the closest thing to a "national" college team in basketball. (Little known fact, Duke is the most picked winner in most NCAA Tournament pools). So if they end up in the finals they'll draw. They'll draw better against Syracuse or UNC, but Virginia was a good opponent.

Reaction Score
The BE tournament final featured arguably the best player in the country and they got that rating. It might be a long time before they have a player like that again.

Reaction Score
The BE tournament final featured arguably the best player in the country and they got that rating. It might be a long time before they have a player like that again.
Yes maybe, but he played for Creighton. The new Big East just had so many obstacles to overcome...FS1 was a huge one, make no mistake. They have had a hard time outdrawing the local news. But then have the schools which give the Big East its identity all go out early and it was just too much to overcome. No Georgetown, no St Johns, no Villanova...not even a Butler who isn't a Big East name but has some national cache. It would have been like an AAC final of Central Florida against SMU.

Reaction Score
slightly OT, but still does not feel right that Butler in in the all Catholic BE. SLU would have been more fitting. That's what happens when you look at recent form when adding conference members. ACC made the same mistake with BC.

Reaction Score
LOL wow that Central Florida SMU final would have been painful to broadcast even. As for the OP unless you can pry Georgetown or Villanova or St Johns. I don't see anyone worth adding as a basketball only. The chances of them leaving currently is about equal to winning the billion dollar bracket also. They always mention Witchita St on the AAC boards but they look like Butler to me. Eventually the success will end.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Adding a basketball only from Kansas based on two great seasons is stupid.

Not Tulane level stupid, but pretty close.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
slightly OT, but still does not feel right that Butler in in the all Catholic BE.

Considering the nosedive to irrelevance Butler is on, I'm sure the Big East feels the same way.

Reaction Score
Adding a basketball only from Kansas based on two great seasons is stupid.

Not Tulane level stupid, but pretty close.
To be fair, their background is deeper than that. They have a FF from the 1960s, an E8 in the 1980s, and a S16 in 2006. They're program is way better than Tulane, and has some marginal history to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom