Does RIP make the Hall of Fame this round? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Does RIP make the Hall of Fame this round?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Love the guy, but no. As @Huskybass said, 3 all-star seasons doesn't cut it where the Hall of Fame should be for players with prolonged excellence.

Random Rip stat: A career 34.6% 3 point shooter, Rip hit 45.8% of his threes in the 05-06 season.

You realize people are in the basketball HoF who have never made an all-star team or even played in the NBA, correct?

Reaction Score
You realize people are in the basketball HoF who have never made an all-star team or even played in the NBA, correct?

Yes, but it's usually for guys like Oscar Schmidt who were legends in their own right. Rip is an interesting case. I think Rip was one of the 5 best UConn players of all time, and a very good (not quite great) pro. I'd love to see him in the HOF but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it never happened.

Reaction Score
...Did you watch prime KG? If you did, you wouldn't be asking this question. He only played with two all-stars in Minnesota - Wally Szczerbiak in 2002 and Sam Cassell in 2004. No surprise that his only WCF appearance was when Minnesota got Cassell and he finally had a competent NBA player next to him. He CARRIED that franchise for a decade and had no help.

NBA MVP. 15 time all star. 9 All-NBA teams. 9 All-Defensive first teams. Led the NBA in rebounding 4 consecutive seasons. BuT hOw GooD wAs He?

He compiled stats on bad teams.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If Kevin Garnett was so great how come his Minnesota teams were terrible? He made one Conference finals as an alpha? Reggie Miller made six.

Basketball is a team sport and Reggie Miller's supporting cast was much better than KG's in his prime.

Reaction Score
Is Bosh really a lock? He put numbers up in Toronto and went the playoffs a couple of years. Then opted to be a role player for the Heat. Numbers might show otherwise but I always remember him being pretty soft in the playoffs for the Heat too. Unfortunately had his career cut short due to health.

Maybe I just didn’t see enough of him but always thought he rode LeBrons coattails.
Career highlights and awards
That looks like a HOF resume to me.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Career highlights and awards
That looks like a HOF resume to me.

Bosh was third fiddle at best on both his Championship teams and his Wikipedia highlight box hardly stacks up to Garnett's.

How is he a HoFer and KG not?

Reaction Score
Bosh was third fiddle at best on both his Championship teams and his Wikipedia highlight box hardly stacks up to Garnett's.

Nobody who should be taken seriously thinks Garnett isn’t a hall of gamer.

Reaction Score

Garnett is an absolute lock. Did anyone say otherwise?

Reaction Score
Basketball is a team sport and Reggie Miller's supporting cast was much better than KG's in his prime.

Ummm he played with zero HOFers during his peak of 94-04. Zero. I’m not counting a washed up Mullin. Dale Davis made an all star appearance once so is that a big upgrade over KG? Austin Croshere, Jalen Rose, and Mark Jackson are all studs right?Do some research bro.

Reaction Score
KG is an absolute lock. For anyone to even suggest otherwise is sheer stupidity.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
Miller's career was over in 2005. His peak (or prime, as most people call it) did not extend to 2004.

Also, just the fact that you can name all of those Pacers (plus Schrempf and Smits, who you left off for some reason) is not a point in your argument's favor.

Garnett has the accomplishments and passes the eye test. NFWR.

Reaction Score
Ummm he played with zero HOFers during his peak of 94-04. Zero. I’m not counting a washed up Mullin. Dale Davis made an all star appearance once so is that a big upgrade over KG? Austin Croshere, Jalen Rose, and Mark Jackson are all studs right?Do some research bro.

It’s a bad look to accuse someone of not doing research and then forget to mention Rik Smits, Brad Miller and Jermaine O’Neal. Heck, after Smits retired and Mullin and Jackson left the Pacers limped in as the 8 seed in a really weak East for a couple of seasons before they made some roster changes to improve Miller’s supporting cast.

Reaction Score
It’s a bad look to accuse someone of not doing research and then forget to mention Rik Smits, Brad Miller and Jermaine O’Neal. Heck, after Smits retired and Mullin and Jackson left the Pacers limped in as the 8 seed in a really weak East for a couple of seasons before they made some roster changes to improve Miller’s supporting cast.

Brad Miller had a cup of coffee as a Pacer. Jermaine was great but again Reggie was at the end of his career during Jermaines peak.

Reaction Score
For the third time, Bosh is a lock and Rip has no chance at the HOF.

Reaction Score
3 time all-star

Love RIP, but "3 time all-star" says it all. The Hall should be reserved for the very best...i.e. top 5 players for the decade....However, if I was building a team, I would look for a players with his intangibles

Reaction Score
I think Webber makes it. Rip is a year or two away, I think.

A year or two away, Rich? I think he will always be a year or two away, as in it isn't going to happen.

Reaction Score
Brad Miller had a cup of coffee as a Pacer. Jermaine was great but again Reggie was at the end of his career during Jermaines peak.

You've contradicted yourself regarding Reggie's prime. But leaving that aside, what happened when Brad Miller joined? What do you know, the Pacers went from the 8 seed to the 3 in the east. Showing that Reggie, much like Garnett, needed help. Without that help, the Pacers were remarkably average.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
A year or two away, Rich? I think he will always be a year or two away, as in it isn't going to happen.
I think that would be a terrible shame. Anyone with both an NCAA and a NBA ring should be in there. I think there's a fairly common feeling that he "rested" a bit on D to have the energy to play in constant motion the way he did on O, and that may hurt his chances.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom