Does RIP make the Hall of Fame this round? | The Boneyard

Does RIP make the Hall of Fame this round?

Reaction Score
He's certainly worthy. He was a great college athlete, a champion both in college and as pro, his motor was legendary. With game on the line he a great option. He's due. It is well deserved.

Swin Cash is up for it too.
No on Rip. Duncan, Kobe, Garnett, and Bosh are locks. Kukoc is borderline but I think he should make it, Webber also borderline. Don't know about any of the female nominees so can't comment.

Reaction Score
I think that is a hard one.

17.1 ppg, 3.4 apg, 3.2 boards per game over his career while average 32 minutes per game. Clearly a solid, better than solid actually, stat line over the course of 14 years which included 9 play-off appearances and one championship on that gritty, physical Pistons team. Career bests for a season was 5 apg in 2004 and 20.1 ppg a few years later.

4 seasons hovering around (or at) the 20 ppg. 4 seasons of 1 steal or more per game over the course of the season. 35% career 3pt shooter (one season he shot 46% which led the league!), 45% from the field over 14 seasons (49% was his best season). 85% from the line over his career is very good.

3 time all-star. One of the best college players of the 90s.

I think the only issue could be he is overshadowed by a very strong cast including Kobe and Duncan who are both top-50 NBA players of all time (Kobe top 10 I would say) and Garnet who I think is at least top 100. In the end I think RIP is on the cusp, really depends on the voters in the end.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Would love to see Rip be enshrined
Unfortunately there are too many superstars and coaches, etc coming into eligibility over next 3-6 years

Reaction Score
I think that is a hard one.

17.1 ppg, 3.4 apg, 3.2 boards per game over his career while average 32 minutes per game. Clearly a solid, better than solid actually, stat line over the course of 14 years which included 9 play-off appearances and one championship on that gritty, physical Pistons team. Career bests for a season was 5 apg in 2004 and 20.1 ppg a few years later.

4 seasons hovering around (or at) the 20 ppg. 4 seasons of 1 steal or more per game over the course of the season. 35% career 3pt shooter (one season he shot 46% which led the league!), 45% from the field over 14 seasons (49% was his best season). 85% from the line over his career is very good.

3 time all-star. One of the best college players of the 90s.

I think the only issue could be he is overshadowed by a very strong cast including Kobe and Duncan who are both top-50 NBA players of all time (Kobe top 10 I would say) and Garnet who I think is at least top 100. In the end I think RIP is on the cusp, really depends on the voters in the end.
Duncan is higher than Kobe all time. KG is probably around 30-35 all time.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
No on Rip. Duncan, Kobe, Garnett, and Bosh are locks. Kukoc is borderline but I think he should make it, Webber also borderline. Don't know about any of the female nominees so can't comment.
I think Webber makes it. Rip is a year or two away, I think.

Reaction Score
Rip is worthy, it is close, but he’s worthy. MVP of a national title team and the leading scorer of an NBA champion. Took the Pistons to 6 straight Eastern Conference Finals. For me, his college career combined with his NBA career gets him in. Still, I realize he’s borderline for sure.

Reaction Score
Love RIP but don’t really see him as an HOF guy.

Does Jay Wright get in? On the ballot and his resume is actually kinda similar to when JC got in.
RIP should get in based on the face mask alone.
How many of those did he sell?
Jay Wright deserves to get in on the strength of holding the score to 20 pts
against an undermanned UConn team with his 2018 NC group. That was not easy to do.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Since it's labeled as Basketball Hall of Fame he should get in early in his eligibility. Monster class this year, but consider this.
HS: McD's AA.
College: AA and NCAA Champ
NBA:Multiple all-stars and one of top players on NBA champ.

Throw in a solid rep on and off the court and his achievements have always been based on skill development more than sheer physicality and he deserves it.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
RIP is awesome at UConn and had a very good career, but not a HOF career.

He is a good announcer and making a good living

Reaction Score
I don't care what his numbers are. Garnett's classlessness should keep him out of the HOF. I don't expect it will, but in a perfect world.
I doubt you could find 5 NBA players who agree with this. Not what the HOF is for, anyway.

Love Rip, and think he puts together a unique case. Unfortunately I think it falls just a bit short.

Reaction Score
To even be nominated/considered is one of the acceptable moral victories.

Reaction Score
RIP is in my Hall if Fame. Funny story, after thee 1999 championship he was doing an autograph session at some store in Manchester, thinking there would be a long line I got there early. I was the only one there for about 20 minutes. He was great, we talked about lots of stuff. Something I mentioned was the excellent officiating in the championship game, Tim Higgins in particular.
He had no idea which one he was.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Duncan might be Top 6 (i haven't looked at the names so I'm sure I'm forgetting people). He's the best PF of all time.

Kobe not Top 10. Between 10 and 20, idk where.

Duncan is higher than Kobe all time. KG is probably around 30-35 all time.

Garnett's gotta be Top 20. No way you find 30 players better than him. The fact he played in Minny most of his career is what is costing him, perception. And that people don't like him.

Reaction Score
Rip is never going into the Hall of Fame. Classic "Hall of Great" player who falls short because he was never truly elite. But I'll always love him for 77-74.

Reaction Score
Duncan might be Top 6 (i haven't looked at the names so I'm sure I'm forgetting people). He's the best PF of all time.

Kobe not Top 10. Between 10 and 20, idk where.

Garnett's gotta be Top 20. No way you find 30 players better than him. The fact he played in Minny most of his career is what is costing him, perception. And that people don't like him.
Duncan is top 10 but not top 6. Jordan, Kareem, Lebron, Magic, Wilt, Russell, Bird.

Garnett is at the tail end of the top 20-25 with Dirk, Barkley, and Malone. You can basically have them in any order, I have Dirk slightly ahead of Garnett.

Reaction Score
RIP seems like a dinosaur now with his mid range game. I wonder how his scoring would look in this era where he would be attempting far more 3 point shots...I really think had the Pistons won 2 more rings he would be in but no, I don’t think his resume gets him in.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Duncan is top 10 but not top 6. Jordan, Kareem, Lebron, Magic, Wilt, Russell, Bird.

Garnett is at the tail end of the top 20-25 with Dirk, Barkley, and Malone. You can basically have them in any order, I have Dirk slightly ahead of Garnett.

Dunno why Bird slipped my mind. That said, you could make a good case for Duncan over him based on a number of metrics:

Advanced Stats:

Win Shares​
Duncan - 206.4​
Bird - 145.8​
PER​
Duncan - 24.2​
Bird - 23.5​
VORP​
Duncan - 89.3​
Bird - 79.7​

Defense is where Duncan really set himself apart. Bird was a good defender, Duncan was elite. Leaving aside advanced stats:

All NBA Defensive Team​
Duncan - 15 total; 8 First Team (tied for 2nd all time)​
Bird - 3 total; 0 First team​

Duncan named to both a All-NBA team and an NBA All-Defensive teams for 13 straight seasons, by far the longest such streak in NBA history. Next closest was nine.

All NBA​
Duncan - 10 All-NBA First Team (third all time); 3 Second team​
Bird - 9 All-NBA First teams; 1 second team​
Titles​
Duncan - 5 (3 Finals MVP)​
Bird - 3 (1 Finals MVP)​
Longevity/Durability:​
Duncan - 19 Seasons; 1392 games; 251 playoffs​
Bird - 13 Seasons; 897 games; 164 playoffs​

Add the fact that Duncan was the best ever at his position.

I wouldn't begrudge anybody to choose either way. If I'm starting a team, I'm taking Duncan over Bird myself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom