Does Kia ever get to AA status? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Does Kia ever get to AA status?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Seems to me her international play runs hot and cold. I don't see the consistency.
You seem to be forgetting the two major things 1) Kia was injured leading up to the Olympic last year 2) The level of competition Kia was special in Pan Am games, there her biggest competition was Moriah and Stewie led team not the USA national team.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Who do you think comes off the bench if Dangerfield starts?
Stevens. But as I said I'm in the minority. While Kia has been the PG for the Canadian national team, she's always had a PG play with her at UCONN - Mo, and then Saniya. That's mainly why I think Danger starts. Also, I believe Geno wants to groom Mikayla and/or Andi as the backup PG and it would create a bit of a logjam if Kia, Crystal, and Mikayla/Andi were to be taught the floor general position. But you know, we will find out soon enough! :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Stevens. But as I said I'm in the minority. While Kia has been the PG for the Canadian national team, she's always had a PG play with her at UConn - Mo, and then Saniya. That's mainly why I think Danger starts. Also, I believe Geno wants to groom Mikayla and/or Andi as the backup PG and it would create a bit of a logjam if Kia, Crystal, and Mikayla/Andi were to be taught the floor general position. But you know, we will find out soon enough! :)
IMO, UConn didn't have a true point guard last year in the sense that one individual was the primary ball handler initiating the offense, like Mo. Everyone handled the ball and everyone passed the ball. That's what made the Huskies so very difficult to defend as they set the all-time, single season team assist record.

One of my predictions for this coming season is that in addition to scoring, rebounding and blocking shots, Z is going to dazzle the Husky faithful with her ability to pass the ball in Geno's motion offense.

Reaction Score
Well, we could apply a fuzzification to the standards a la fuzzy logic which deals with ---degrees of truth and wnot strictly true or false. This way near a miss would qualify. I merely suggest a possibility without supporting it. Oh my! I should run for a political office!
--
The world has been fuzzy--zed----what was/is morally correct becomes wrong with Political correct --I look at my Navel and say--it's a fuzzy world!!

Reaction Score
I suspect Kia will go first round in next year's WNBA draft and will enjoy a long career here and abroad. She is a nat'l sports heroine in Canada and will be a leader on their national team for quite sometime. These are more than consolations for being surrounded at UConn by so much talent. Surrounded, but holding her own.

Thanks for the facts about Kia. My bias for Kia, sometimes clouds a more logical approach. Geno loves Kia and he is loyal also he works well with a rotation of 8 sometimes 9---but in the NCAA's 6. My , unformed as it is, guess is that he'll start five you previously posted--with Dangerfield in that mix along with Kia. Who shall sit?? Who always sits on a Geno team--the ones that don't play defense or don't practice with 200 percent .. He has the option to mix and match depending on the opponent--but will start with "his selected 5 and flow from there---don't be surprised if that 5 changes a few times--he has the options. Also Dangerfield--got lots of PT during the NCAA's that should tell fans something---he was building for the coming year. No facts--just opinions--much like yours.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It has occurred to me that we should all cross our fingers and send positive vibes to the UConn practice facility for every practice. With so many players vying for minutes those practices may get more than fierce.

Reaction Score
Kia will always be on my AA team. She is the glue that makes UConn run and this season she will be able to facilitate so many more options every night.....100+ points most every game....Geno and CD have not had so many options this coming season ever IMHO....They will be a totally different team coming back from Italy in August...Safe travels!!
2001 was the deepest team ever. They lose 2 Sr. AAs and still made the FF with a solid lineup of 7 deep.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It has occurred to me that we should all cross our fingers and send positive vibes to the UConn practice facility for every practice. With so many players vying for minutes those practices may get more than fierce.

I hope so. It's been said that "You play like you practice". Right now, UConn is riding a 1 game losing streak. It's been over 20+ years since they lost games back to back. Lots of pressure for the Huskies in that opening game. They broke one record (streak) with that loss in April. I don't think they'd care to begin the season by breaking another one. When one door closes, another one opens. In November, a new era begins, and the UConn women start a new win streak. The mantra for the UConn women this season..........play like a champion today!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think that Kia makes AA. There is too much talent and not enough basketballs for everyone to score enough points. I think that all of the returning starters will see reduced playing time next season so her opportunities will be less. Hell, I think that all of the returning starters will have reduced numbers next year. I hope not but we will see.

As far as where Kia goes in the draft.. it depends on her play and if UCONN makes it to the finals next year. Diamond D, Jordin C, Kelsey M, Lexie B, Victoria V, Ariel A and a few other notable guards are all graduating.

Where do you rank her among the top guards? There are only 12 spots for the first round and next years graduating class is extremely deep.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I don't think that Kia makes AA. There is too much talent and not enough basketballs for everyone to score enough points. I think that all of the returning starters will see reduced playing time next season so her opportunities will be less. Hell, I think that all of the returning starters will have reduced numbers next year. I hope not but we will see.

As far as where Kia goes in the draft.. it depends on her play and if UConn makes it to the finals next year. Diamond D, Jordin C, Kelsey M, Lexie B, Victoria V, Ariel A and a few other notable guards are all graduating. Where do you rank her among the top guards? There are only 12 spots for the first round and next years graduating class is extremely deep.

Good post YellwJcket999. I'm not in any way bad mouthing Kia here. I love Kia. She would have to change her style of play this season (become a lot more aggressive and take more shots) to seriously garner AA consideration from the voters. I don't think she's going to change her style of play after 3 years just to try and win an individual award.

That's not the Kia Nurse I've come to know and respect. Kia has ALWAYS comported herself as a TEAM player, nothing less. Even if she could, would Geno allow her to do that? I think we all know where Geno stands on individual awards and accolades. She would have to out play one of the team's 3 current AA's the entire season. Which one can she out play and out shine? Williams, Collier, or Samuelson? That's the rub. ;)

Reaction Score
Scud49. I am so tired of the consistency statement. Where were Pheesa and Kia in the biggest game of the year? Napheesa: 36% and two missed layups. Kia: 6 points, 1 assist and 3 turnovers. Katie Lou: 50% 2s & 3s, 5 rebounds and 2 blocks. Also, two made free throws, after having been hit in the throat to give UConn a chance to win the game. Maybe Katie Lou should have gotten the ball more. As I said in a previous post, they lost as a team. Napheesa and Kia are fantastic, but I am tired of the haters. Who else played an entire half with a broken bone in their foot, and who played an entire game while throwing up during time outs (Shea's words) and was the leading scorer? Get off Katie Lou. Pick on someone who doesn't play their hardest.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Scud49. I am so tired of the consistency statement. Where were Pheesa and Kia in the biggest game of the year? Napheesa: 36% and two missed layups. Kia: 6 points, 1 assist and 3 turnovers. Katie Lou: 50% 2s & 3s, 5 rebounds and 2 blocks. Also, two made free throws, after having been hit in the throat to give UConn a chance to win the game. Maybe Katie Lou should have gotten the ball more. As I said in a previous post, they lost as a team. Napheesa and Kia are fantastic, but I am tired of the haters. Who else played an entire half with a broken bone in their foot, and who played an entire game while throwing up during time outs (Shea's words) and was the leading scorer? Get off Katie Lou. Pick on someone who doesn't play their hardest.
Someone that doesn't play their hardest is not on the UCONN roster. Is it really picking on someone to point out they had a poor game? I don't think so, otherwise you would not have done it for Pheesa and Kia right?
We all have our favorites, all are equally capable of excelling, just not always.

Reaction Score

A hater I am not. I love KLS for many reasons, she is absolutely wonderful. The comment I made was focused on a hypothetical ranking of KLS, Napheesa, and Gabby. That's all. Over the course of the season, I viewed the latter two as being a bit more consistent in their overall contributions to a typical UCONN game. It was strictly my opinion, nothing more...... I do believe that's what this board is for.....observations, opinions, yes?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A hater I am not. I love KLS for many reasons, she is absolutely wonderful. The comment I made was focused on a hypothetical ranking of KLS, Napheesa, and Gabby. That's all. Over the course of the season, I viewed the latter two as being a bit more consistent in their overall contributions to a typical UConn game. It was strictly my opinion, nothing more. I do believe that's what this board is for.....observations, opinions, yes?
KLS, Napheesa, and Gabby can easily be ranked based on positive attributes without dwelling on the negatives like consistency or a subpar performance in the a national semi-finals.

Reaction Score
CocoHusky, I wasn't picking on anybody; if you had read my entire post you would have realized that. It is okay to pick on Katie Lou because I have read many posts that do just that. An opinion can't be proved right or wrong. Facts can be proved or disproved. What I posted about all three players were facts. Also, Katie Lou as a three-point threat opens up the inside for Gabby and Napheesa, while I don't see a lot of picks being set for Katie Lou. When you post judge the player by the facts not your opinion. I can't stand Pete Rose or Barry Bonds as people because of their cheating, but they are great baseball players.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CocoHusky, I wasn't picking on anybody; if you had read my entire post you would have realized that. It is okay to pick on Katie Lou because I have read many posts that do just that. An opinion can't be proved right or wrong. Facts can be proved or disproved. What I posted about all three players were facts. Also, Katie Lou as a three-point threat opens up the inside for Gabby and Napheesa, while I don't see a lot of picks being set for Katie Lou. When you post judge the player by the facts not your opinion. I can't stand Pete Rose or Barry Bonds as people because of their cheating, but they are great baseball players.
Pete rose was among my favorite baseball players and among my least favorite human beings. Your post, in defense of KLS said "Where were Pheesa and Kia in the biggest game of the year?"-There is no fact there.
This post said " I don't see a lot of picks being set for Katie Lou.' There is no fact there either. There are plenty of screens being set for KLS, enough screens for her to lead the team in shot attempts last year, so don't be ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Pete Rose bet on baseball, for which he was banned, and he started a fight with Bud Harrelson, someone who was about 50 pounds less, for no reason. Those are facts. The facts were in the numbers, which I posted. Katie Lou gets a lot of her shots on run downs without picks, and nobody sets that many picks for her, certainly not like Stef did for her teammates. Taking a lot of shots is not proof of other people setting picks for her, so your statement is not factual.

Reaction Score
KLS, Napheesa, and Gabby can easily be ranked based on positive attributes without dwelling on the negatives like consistency or a subpar performance in the a national semi-finals.

1. I am not dwelling on the issue of consistency, but you are.

2. I have never brought up anything about a subpar performance in a national semi-final by anyone, at anytime.

Reaction Score
UConn is an incredible team with incredible players. They didn't blame any individual, but they correctly gave credit to Mississippi St.

Reaction Score
Stevens. But as I said I'm in the minority. While Kia has been the PG for the Canadian national team, she's always had a PG play with her at UConn - Mo, and then Saniya. That's mainly why I think Danger starts. Also, I believe Geno wants to groom Mikayla and/or Andi as the backup PG and it would create a bit of a logjam if Kia, Crystal, and Mikayla/Andi were to be taught the floor general positieron. But you know, we will find out soon enough! :)
Danger should start---BUT--Geno is loyal--an if you give him 3 very good years--he will go with you--if healthy--if not you'll play when you can--Doty, Britany--.

Reaction Score
It's a bit foolhardy to pick on any of the Starting 5 from last year--I tend to agree KLS should have gotten the ball more in the last few games--but during the year it appeared --each game had a different high scorer. That for any coach is nice to have a mix or match unit.
I resolve to alway speak highly towards the 6 or 7 main time players of last season--Danger included.
They exceeded where few,if any, in Nov thought they would--I won't dwell on the final game--it was what was, there is no changing it--Geno will get what he can from it and move on--so should we.
Pete rose was among my favorite baseball players and among my least favorite human beings. Your post, in defense of KLS said "Where were Pheesa and Kia in the biggest game of the year?"-There is no fact there.
This post said " I don't see a lot of picks being set for Katie Lou.' There is no fact there either. There are plenty of screens being set for KLS, enough screens for her to lead the team in shot attempts last year, so don't be ridiculous.

Pete Rose---it's a personal thing --to like him or not--I'm basically an uptight colon individual and expect near perfection from humans at least I was---my religious training was strict. So I would have damn Pete for gambling--because it WAS against the rules. But I have learned humans are ALL fallible--not perfect. I now think Pete belongs in the BaseBall HOF---I don't know him, so I can't judge whether a good or a bad human he has become--until I meet him--he earned the benefit of my doubt.
Now that I judge less--I'm happier--I still judge--religion at an early age never really goes away

Reaction Score
I disagree that Kia would be an AA on any other team & and it is not only UConn players that have blocked her consideration for AA honors. UConn has only had 1 guard named WBCA AA since Kia's arrival. Since Kia has been in A UConn uniform the following non-UConn players have been named WBCA AA at the guard position ( Kelsey Plum (2 times), Kelsey Mitchell (2 times), Jamie Weisner, Courtney Williams, Brittany Boyd, Samantha Logic, Jewell Loyd, Tiffany Mitchell, & Alexis Peterson). Kia's stellar international play also does not come into consideration for All-American honors. I also think i t is highly unlikely that Kia will achieve AA honors as a Senior because the 2017-18 UConn rosters returns 3 AA and adds a NPOY candidate unless the rules change to nominate more than 3 players on the same team. Kia is a terrific player and almost a perfect fit for UConn system and I'm not saying all of those players are "better" than her. Kia name will be right up there with the best UConn players never to Make AA team.
Have to agree. AA players typically have to demonstrate exceptional performances, particularly in big, TV games. Kia is solid in every area. Great to have solid on UConn team with a depth of out of the world talent.

Reaction Score
No because she can't go left. AA's can score from either side of the basket but nurse has no left hand game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom