Does Kia ever get to AA status? | The Boneyard

Does Kia ever get to AA status?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
First I want to be clear that imho Kia would be an AA on any other team. For each of 3 years she has been blocked from consideration because of 3 other players with better stats. And this year it may be 4 players. Is it possible for her to earn AA as a senior. Should one of the juniors give up their opportunity? Her international play shows the type of player she is. But those high scores and leading her team to championship are sublimated into the team first attitude. Your thoughts?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Unfortunately I don't see her as an AA. She has 4 players now ahead of her who are likely to garner consideration, and on next year's team, at least 2 worthy people will be left off. Kia, Azura, Gabby, Napheesa and KLS. A majority of BY'ers think that's the starting lineup. I still believe Crystal is the 5th starter, but either way, I think it's almost a lock that KLS and Napheesa are AA's, while Gabby and Azura will battle it out for the 3rd spot.

There are several AA publications. I do hope that Kia does make one of them because I do agree that she'd be an AA on almost any other team...

Reaction Score
I think it's almost a lock that KLS and Napheesa are AA's, while Gabby and Azura will battle it out for the 3rd spot.

I personally feel that Gabby is a much more consistent and all around player than KLS, my gut feel is that Naphessa and Gabby are essentially 1 and 1A.

KLS is great, but her consistency on the court doesn't quite match the other 2.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I disagree that Kia would be an AA on any other team & and it is not only UCONN players that have blocked her consideration for AA honors. UCONN has only had 1 guard named WBCA AA since Kia's arrival. Since Kia has been in A UCONN uniform the following non-UCONN players have been named WBCA AA at the guard position ( Kelsey Plum (2 times), Kelsey Mitchell (2 times), Jamie Weisner, Courtney Williams, Brittany Boyd, Samantha Logic, Jewell Loyd, Tiffany Mitchell, & Alexis Peterson). Kia's stellar international play also does not come into consideration for All-American honors. I also think i t is highly unlikely that Kia will achieve AA honors as a Senior because the 2017-18 UCONN rosters returns 3 AA and adds a NPOY candidate unless the rules change to nominate more than 3 players on the same team. Kia is a terrific player and almost a perfect fit for UCONN system and I'm not saying all of those players are "better" than her. Kia name will be right up there with the best UCONN players never to Make AA team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Kia in many ways reminds me of Kelly - an essential part of every college team she plays on but not one that rises above her teammates. She is clearly a better scorer than Kelly and more consistent on that front, but like Kelly she is the nuts and bolts player providing defense, leadership, and whatever is needed on offense in each game - assists or baskets or offensive rebounds or screens. As such I don't see her as likely to garner first team AA status. Unlike her summer with the Canadian team where she was the clear leader in two competitions, she is unlikely to become that on the Uconn team over the course of a full season.

On the AA likelihood for Uconn players next year ... who knows? It is going to be a significantly different dynamic on the team next season with two new post players. Hard to judge how efficient Gabby will be as she tries to develop more confidence and consistency from 15 feet out, something she needs to add to her game for the next level, and to balance this coming year's changing line-up.

Reaction Score
I personally feel that Gabby is a much more consistent and all around player than KLS, my gut feel is that Naphessa and Gabby are essentially 1 and 1A.

KLS is great, but her consistency on the court doesn't quite match the other 2.

I think Gabby is an AA lock as we speak. She was outstanding all year and looked as if she absolutely didn't want to lose against Ms St. NPOY candidate for sure.

Collier also played great last year. She's my favorite player for you guys. I wonder if there's another notch she can attain? She averaged 20 points, 9 rebounds, shooting 68% from the field and 42 % from 3 point land. That's crazy good for a sophomore forward. She'll probably have another AA season although she'll probably take lesser shots.

KLS also had a phenomenal sophomore campaign. I'm interested to see if she continues to expand her game. She's 6'3" so if she can add more post moves, she'll be almost impossible to guard. IMHO I thought she reverted back to her freshman ways against Miss St, by standing around on the 3 point line. She wasn't trying to post up Dillingham or Vivians or attack off the dribble. She seemed very uncomfortable handling the ball as well. I think she will have a great Junior year just not sure if she will be an AA with Collier, Stevens, and Williams on the team.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Unfortunately I don't see her as an AA. She has 4 players now ahead of her who are likely to garner consideration, and on next year's team, at least 2 worthy people will be left off. Kia, Azura, Gabby, Napheesa and KLS. A majority of BY'ers think that's the starting lineup. I still believe Crystal is the 5th starter, but either way, I think it's almost a lock that KLS and Napheesa are AA's, while Gabby and Azura will battle it out for the 3rd spot.

There are several AA publications. I do hope that Kia does make one of them because I do agree that she'd be an AA on almost any other team...

You said: "Kia, Azura, Gabby, Napheesa and KLS. A majority of BY'ers think that's the starting lineup". Add me to that group. The good thing is, we won't have to wait until November to find out. I think it's a good bet that whoever starts during the games in Italy, will start in November. You think Crystal will start. If she does, it would not surprise me. She can do some things no one else on the roster can do. Right now, I still see her coming off the bench. I also expect her to make a HUGE sophomore leap this season. A leap so big, that it may demand her insertion into the starting lineup.

If Dangerous starts, (Kia, Azura, Gabby, Napheesa, KLS), which one of these comes off the bench? You could be right, time will tell. Throw rocks at me if you want, but I don't think Geno brought Azure in (given her size, experience and skill set) to come off the bench, especially with UConn's lack of size last year, and the dynamics it presented (asking at times a 5'11" player to guard players 3-6 inches taller), along with the front court size some of the teams they'll play this season will feature.

I agree with your take about Nurse, on any other team. Too many other potential UConn AA's on this team for her to have a legitimate shot. She would have to average a triple double all season (to really standout) to be considered for AA recognition. At this point, I don't see that happening. I think Kia will conduct herself in the same fashion she did her first 3 years. Kia is a team player. Up to this point, she's done or said nothing that would suggest otherwise. If given a choice, I think she would rather finish her career at UConn with a NC, than be selected an AA. Individual awards are nice, but the entire team owns/claims a part (and is recognized) of a NC.

Looking ahead just a bit, It will be interesting to see how Nurse will fair in the WNBA draft next April. With the exceptional amount of talent coming out next year, what are her chances of being a first round draft choice? Don't forget, there are other very talented guards coming out, as well as some notable BIGS.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I suspect Kia will go first round in next year's WNBA draft and will enjoy a long career here and abroad. She is a nat'l sports heroine in Canada and will be a leader on their national team for quite sometime. These are more than consolations for being surrounded at UConn by so much talent. Surrounded, but holding her own.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
So since most of think Kia could be AA on another team. If you were Geno would you place her name in consideration over another player with flashier stats. Perhaps as an acknowledgment of her sacrifice for the program

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As others have pointed out, on a team loaded with AA's, it will be difficult for Kia to also achieve that honor. However, I do believe there's a chance that Kia could earn AA status this coming year, particularly if she leads the nation in 3-pt shooting. (It's not as remote as you might think.)

As I discussed in another thread, somewhat lost in UConn's tournament run and disappointing loss to MS St, was Kia's NCAA tournament record 22 3-pt'ers in only 5 games on an incredible 67% shooting. She accomplished this feet after coming back from a painful foot injury when some of us wondered if she would be able to play at all in the NCAA tournament.

My starting 5 next year is Gabby, Lou, Pheesa, Z & Kia, with Danger 1st off the bench. Opposing teams will simply be unable to cover all of the Husky scoring threats. IMO, Kia will frequently be open at the arc, and with a team that passes as well as UConn does, Kia's teammates will find her.

When she first arrived at Storrs, Kia was not a great 3-pt shooter, but over time, with a lot of hard work, Kia has become a great 3-pt shooter. Throw in her outstanding defensive ability, leadership, passing ability and incredible toughness and there is a definite chance that Kia might just make one of the AA teams this coming season.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, Kia will not become an AA. Probably nothing new here. What I have speculated about is her becoming an Husky of Honor(?) Given her role on the team since her debut, should she get a pass on the AA thing, for a place on the Wall? I would vote her on because her AA status is complicated because of all the other things she is called upon to do. I think she could easily put up the scoring numbers if given the green light, and if others were equally as sound at keeping the offensive players in front of them, etc.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, Kia will not become an AA. Probably nothing new here. What I have speculated about is her becoming an Husky of Honor(?) Given her role on the team since her debut, should she get a pass on the AA thing, for a place on the Wall? I would vote her on because her AA status is complicated because of all the other things she is called upon to do. I think she could easily put up the scoring numbers if given the green light, and if others were equally as sound at keeping the offensive players in front of them, etc.
If you were to open that door (WoH for Kia without AA status) you will undoubtedly find many equally deserving former UCONN players. Kelly Faris?

Reaction Score
First I want to be clear that imho Kia would be an AA on any other team. For each of 3 years she has been blocked from consideration because of 3 other players with better stats. And this year it may be 4 players. Is it possible for her to earn AA as a senior. Should one of the juniors give up their opportunity? Her international play shows the type of player she is. But those high scores and leading her team to championship are sublimated into the team first attitude. Your thoughts?
No, IMO she wouldn't be an AA anywhere. Offensively the UConn talent around her makes her better. She's a tough, unselfish, defensive, glue type player but is limited on offense. She's a good safety valve on the 3 pt line who benefits from the excellent spacing UConn has. She can't create off the dribble or get to the rim that well other than fast break sneakaways. This team is a perfect fit for her abilities and she makes them better as well. She just wouldn't be that effective if she were a main focus of a team's defense.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It would be interesting to list the 4-year starters who did not also make it on the Wall. Given the current roster I don't think Nurse will make it, but would be happy if she showed me otherwise.

Tiffany Hayes comes to mind, although I'm not sure she started every game her freshman year. I believe CDoty started until her injury after which Tiff took over. I guess we could qualify the list to players who started more than 10 games freshman year and who retained their starting role thereafter, barring injury, but did not make the HH Wall.

Hayes
Nurse
....?

Reaction Score
No

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It would be interesting to list the 4-year starters who did not also make it on the Wall. Given the current roster I don't think Nurse will make it, but would be happy if she showed me otherwise.

Tiffany Hayes comes to mind, although I'm not sure she started every game her freshman year. I believe CDoty started until her injury after which Tiff took over. I guess we could qualify the list to players who started more than 10 games freshman year and who retained their starting role thereafter, barring injury, but did not make the HH Wall.

Hayes
Nurse
....?
So some reason I'm thinking Ann Strother may have.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Unless two other starters do an el foldo or get injured, Kia has no chance. Only three from any given team can be selected. She would have to have an amazing season to beat out Napheesa, Gabby, Azure, or Lou. Selecting three players from UCONN for AA will be really difficult for 2018.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Kia's stellar international play also does not come into consideration for All-American honors.

Seems to me her international play runs hot and cold. I don't see the consistency.

Reaction Score
If you were to open that door (WoH for Kia without AA status) you will undoubtedly find many equally deserving former UConn players. Kelly Faris?

Once the requirements are set and many have been accepted ; to lower the standards, in my opinion, is an insult to those on the wall. I am biased toward Kia, and love everything about her, to me her level of play and scoring ability is held back for "team" be it the Canadian National or Uconn. In the USA games and Olympics --when the pressure was on and she had to score, she scored big. Make of that what you will--but my take is she is a team player who awaits her time.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Once the requirements are set and many have been accepted ; to lower the standards, in my opinion, is an insult to those on the wall. I am biased toward Kia, and love everything about her, to me her level of play and scoring ability is held back for "team" be it the Canadian National or UConn. In the USA games and Olympics --when the pressure was on and she had to score, she scored big. Make of that what you will--but my take is she is a team player who awaits her time.
Well, we could apply a fuzzification to the standards a la fuzzy logic which deals with degrees of truth and not strictly true or false. This way near a miss would qualify. I merely suggest a possibility without supporting it. Oh my! I should run for a political office!

Reaction Score

Who do you think comes off the bench if Dangerfield starts?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Who do you think comes off the bench if Dangerfield starts?

Good question!! Which one of the 4 returning starters (3 of whom are All-Americans) does Geno bench??? :eek:

Reaction Score
Once the requirements are set and many have been accepted ; to lower the standards, in my opinion, is an insult to those on the wall. I am biased toward Kia, and love everything about her, to me her level of play and scoring ability is held back for "team" be it the Canadian National or UConn. In the USA games and Olympics --when the pressure was on and she had to score, she scored big. Make of that what you will--but my take is she is a team player who awaits her time.

This is also my thinking. And I should not want to change the standards for the hanging of pictures, but there are AA and there are AA! There is, perhaps, a good chance that Gabby and Nurse leave without a true AA. But, I should go back and refreshed my knowledge about the criteria-- certainly, it cannot be AA onetime. While I have respect for the 2 AAs, they are not overconvincing that they can carry the team on their back, in difficult games. But they are young and next year is critical. This is my single question mark with Kia. I had expected more from her when we were in the deep during .4.

Reaction Score
Kia will always be on my AA team. She is the glue that makes UCONN run and this season she will be able to facilitate so many more options every night..........100+ points most every game.........Geno and CD have not had so many options this coming season ever IMHO.........They will be a totally different team coming back from Italy in August........Safe travels!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom