Does Coach K suck? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Does Coach K suck?

Reaction Score
This! Coach K built Duke to what it is today - wins, talent, exposure, etc.

.....and you simply don't win that many games if you aren't pretty good with Xs and Os.

Now, as a UCONN fan do I a get a kick out of referring to him as "Rat Face"? Of course I do. But, the guy is a terrific coach, among the best ever.

images(3).jpg

Reaction Score
This thread was a poor troll attempt, until people started agreeing
No it's not. Look at my reasoning. It's as sound as anything you put on this board. K has done less with more than any coach in NCAA history.

Reaction Score
Fully agree, but K got them not JC.
As I said, K did not not get them. Dick Vital and ESPN and did the recruiting for Duke on almost every college basketball broadcast. A coach never had to do less because the media promoted him relentlessly.

Reaction Score
No it's not. Look at my reasoning. It's as sound as anything you put on this board. K has done less with more than any coach in NCAA history.

He has the most NCAA tournament wins AND best NCAA tournament winning % of active coaches (min 20 games).

And you think a guy off the street could do better?

Reaction Score
As I said, K did not not get them. Dick Vital and ESPN and did the recruiting for Duke on almost every college basketball broadcast. A coach never had to do less because the media promoted him relentlessly.

Did Vital and ESPN do that because Rat Face was so good looking?

Reaction Score
He has the most NCAA tournament wins AND best NCAA tournament winning % of active coaches (min 20 games).

And you think a guy off the street could do better?

How many of those games was he favored in? How many did he win because he was such a great coach? How did he perform compared to expectations?

Those are the questions you should be asking.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I was going to say I was proud that you put this on the board and then got the board whipped up and walked away from it. The fact that you're trying to defend a take asking if a top 5 coach ever in CBB sucks, and you have people agreeing with you is just silly.

Reaction Score
How many of those games was he favored in? How many did he win because he was such a great coach? How did he perform compared to expectations?

I think you might have brain AIDs.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I think you are defining the role of the coach far too narrowly. Let's see what the job entails in the eyes of an AD or University President.
  • Build a program that enhances the attractiveness and image of the university
  • Win games consistently to bring in fans/ticket $, sponsors, TV and branding money
  • Recruit strong student athletes who lead to success on the court and present a positive image off the court
  • Get to the post season and win games in the tournament
  • Put the team in position to challenge for championships
I'd be hard pressed to find anybody who has done a better job at it than that.

Reaction Score
I was going to say I was proud that you put this on the board and then got the board whipped up and walked away from it. The fact that you're trying to defend a take asking if a top 5 coach ever in CBB sucks, and you have people agreeing with you is just silly.

That's not really a cogent position, it's just criticism of the me.

But objectively speaking, it is absolutely a fair question to ask if Pete Gillen or even Dom Perno could have won five national championships with three future NBA first rounders every year for 25 years.

You really believe that question is unfair?

Reaction Score
I think you are defining the role of the coach far too narrowly. Let's see what the job entails in the eyes of an AD or University President.
  • Build a program that enhances the attractiveness and image of the university
  • Win games consistently to bring in fans/ticket $, sponsors, TV and branding money
  • Recruit strong student athletes who lead to success on the court and present a positive image off the court
  • Get to the post season and win games in the tournament
  • Put the team in position to challenge for championships
I'd be hard pressed to find anybody who has done a better job at it than that.
Sort of agree with your post, Coach K has indeed built a great program, but John Wooden had roughly the same degree of talent as Coach K has recruited at Duke. Wooden was though a vastly superior game coach, X's and O's guy, call it what you will. His 10 National Championships prove that. They didn't call him the Wizard of Westwood for nothing. Always wondered what he had written down on those neatly rolled up pieces of paper in his hand.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

But objectively speaking, it is absolutely a fair question to ask if Pete Gillen or even Dom Perno could have won five national championships with three future NBA first rounders every year for 25 years.

This thread is so dumb that I might update your wikipedia page with a link to memorialize it.

Reaction Score
Coach K is old and just a figure head now. Young coach k would have these kids crushing it. Now he just goes to bed early thinking his players aren't out in Durham smoking weed and crushing Tang.

Reaction Score
The problem with looking at the seed vs results ranking is that a one seed has to win 4 games or they under achieved while an 8 seed wins two and they over achieved. And when it comes to seeding Duke in bb is much like Notre Dame in fb - often over rated.

I think Coach K does a very creditable job at integrating new players into his system. I am not convinced he is great at making in game adjustments.

I can’t wait for the day that either Coach K or Dookie Vitale retires. It is impossible to listen to Vitale do a game because it is a total infomercial for Duke.

Reaction Score
I can’t wait for the day that either Coach K or Dookie Vitale retires. It is impossible to listen to Vitale do a game because it is a total infomercial for Duke.
You're not going to like this then.

I saw a quote from him somewhere today where he said he wants to do games until he's 100.

Reaction Score
We apparently do not have enough Uconn stuff to talk about. Lol. Talent is great have and experience is great to have Kentucky and Duke don't usually have both at the same time. Mostly just talented 1 and 2 year players

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

I'm not going to go back and forth with you on why this take is silly that is a waste of time. However, I will continue criticism your obvious trolling that seems to work on an ever increasing amount of posters.

Reaction Score
I think there are a few things that need to be separated out. K has won like no one this side of Wooden. K has also had talent like no one this side of Wooden (he’s had more Naismith winners than Kansas, UNC, and Kentucky combined). There is also clear demarcations in his career. No one has been to more FF’s than him, but he is only tied for 4th most FFs this century. He’s won 3 tournaments this century, but arguably his loss to a 15-seed wasn’t his worst first round loss. He’s taken 4 teams with multiple All-Americans to S16 or earlier losses.

It’s one of those Tale of Two cities things. No one wins like him, yet no HOFer loses like him either. We have ESPN to tell us of the former, it’s up to the righteous to fill in the latter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not going to go back and forth with you on why this take is silly that is a waste of time. However, I will continue criticism your obvious trolling that seems to work on an ever increasing amount of posters.
You can't go back and forth with me because your position is very weak. Calling me a troll because I argue that K is an underachiever (and perhaps even sucks) isn't a legitimate position. K's entire career supports my position. You, or a piece of wood, could have gotten Duke to one out of the last nine Final Fours.

Reaction Score
Put yourself in K’s position. He reloads year after year with an endless line of top ten players. Expectations are that Duke should be in the Final Four every year, so when they don’t get there, failure. His team has a target on them every game they play. So it’s natural when things are not going well his expression is like he is getting a colonoscopy. And then he has to make up a bunch of stuff like his kids are so young (like no one else has young players). Oh I forgot, he gets a zillion dollars a year. Life is tough, huh?

Reaction Score
The problem with looking at the seed vs results ranking is that a one seed has to win 4 games or they under achieved while an 8 seed wins two and they over achieved. And when it comes to seeding Duke in bb is much like Notre Dame in fb - often over rated.

I think Coach K does a very creditable job at integrating new players into his system. I am not convinced he is great at making in game adjustments.

Bingo!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom