Do you think Hurley knew? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Do you think Hurley knew?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My concern has been over Cobb. Given Cobb’s defensive liabilities and a medically reduced Diarra why did Hurley chose to bring in Yakwe with known foot problems?

Because it was a one-year rental with no long term risk at a time when the program in the weeds and the pickings were beyond slim.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
After reading @uconngb 's initial post I now, sadly, feel that Danny Hurley was totally bamboozled. Hoodwinked. Downright fooled beyond belief.

Also, I feel Josh can start on many D1 teams. Just not the UCONN teams I dream about.

Back to Danny...he was blindsided by this team's ineptitude. Clear as day.

1549062696778.png

Reaction Score
Serious question. Do you think Hurley really know how talent-deficient this team was before he accepted the job? I understand he didn't come for a one-year tenure, but even he has to be disappointed in what this roster offers him. I think 21 games into their sophomore season it is fair to say that Josh and Polley do not deserve to be starting for this or any other major D-1 college program. There are basic fundamental things they just don't do well, and particularly in Polley's case, have minimal impact on most games. That's 40% of our starting lineup, and 100% of our frontcourt starting lineup. And that's the best we have. He's gotta be beating his head against the wall when he sees the disparity of our guys vs every non-cupcake team we've played this year. The physical difference is obvious to see, but coupled with the extremely low BBIQ we still seam to have, that's a deadly combo. I realize Rome wasn't built in a day, and I still have full confidence that Hurley is our guy, but he's gotta be extremely frustrated that he can't even get through to these guys to play hard for 40 minutes every game. When you are outmanned and outsmarted, that's your only chance at making up for the deficiencies. My guess is Danny is not getting a lot of sleep these days.
Just stating the obvious here, but 99.9% of the time the previous coach was fired, he was fired because the team sucked. I'm pretty sure Hurley was able to figure that out.

Reaction Score
I’m betting that Hurley is surprised that his record is not better at this point. After all UCONN is not in the ACC or the B1G. After the Syracuse game most of us thought it was going to be better than it has turned out. Admit it.

Friendship

Filled With My Husky Friends
Reaction Score
Hurley is not a fool. He researched. Given Uconn"s long tradition Hurley feels he can get it back to what it was and I believe him.

Was sarcastic. Should have made it more clear :)

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I’m betting that Hurley is surprised that his record is not better at this point. After all UCONN is not in the ACC or the B1G. After the Syracuse game most of us thought it was going to be better than it has turned out. Admit it.

There is absolutely no basis for assuming that teams in weaker conferences automatically have a better shot at having good records. You can't make that determination without actually looking at who is on a team, and how they stack up to the other teams in their conference.

Also, just because lots of people thought the team would be better does not mean that they were thinking clearly in doing so.

Reaction Score
There is absolutely no basis for assuming that teams in weaker conferences automatically have a better shot at having good records. You can't make that determination without actually looking at who is on a team, and how they stack up to the other teams in their conference.

Also, just because lots of people thought the team would be better does not mean that they were thinking clearly in doing so.
We weren’t thinking clearly after the SU game. It’s natural to hope for more but our recruiting weaknesses have not been addressed and reared their ugly head. We beat a ranked team at the time and “at large” thoughts briefly became rampant. No blame on Hurley though.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Serious question. Do you think Hurley really know how talent-deficient this team was before he accepted the job? I understand he didn't come for a one-year tenure, but even he has to be disappointed in what this roster offers him. I think 21 games into their sophomore season it is fair to say that Josh and Polley do not deserve to be starting for this or any other major D-1 college program. There are basic fundamental things they just don't do well, and particularly in Polley's case, have minimal impact on most games. That's 40% of our starting lineup, and 100% of our frontcourt starting lineup. And that's the best we have. He's gotta be beating his head against the wall when he sees the disparity of our guys vs every non-cupcake team we've played this year. The physical difference is obvious to see, but coupled with the extremely low BBIQ we still seam to have, that's a deadly combo. I realize Rome wasn't built in a day, and I still have full confidence that Hurley is our guy, but he's gotta be extremely frustrated that he can't even get through to these guys to play hard for 40 minutes every game. When you are outmanned and outsmarted, that's your only chance at making up for the deficiencies. My guess is Danny is not getting a lot of sleep these days.

Kinda shocked you didn't attach a poll to this, the kind where you can't see the results unless you vote.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
this thread started being absurd and some of the postings take it to another level
If you have to ask if DH is beating his head against a wall then I think that it is you who had unrealistic visions of instant success.
Athletically and physically this team is vastly inferior to many teams and that is what DH has to change, it starts with getting a quality big but swings and misses at the elite isn't going to do it. He needs kids with size and an attitude that comes with an edge. He is not getting the 5*s and maybe not even an elite 4* on any consistent basis. He needs to build the team like JC and Geno did at the start - kids who can shoot, rebound, have a big motor and want to play hard. Once those kids start winning, the better players will follow. Kids the P5s have looked at but only consider them as last ditch plans
I believe DH can coach these types of kids to be successful

pj

Reaction Score
Hurley is not a fool. He researched. Given Uconn"s long tradition Hurley feels he can get it back to what it was and I believe him.

Hurley figured he could recruit here, and he's proven himself correct by getting Bouknight, Gaffney, and Akok, not to mention almost getting Cockburn.

Reaction Score
this thread started being absurd and some of the postings take it to another level
If you have to ask if Dan Hurley is beating his head against a wall then I think that it is you who had unrealistic visions of instant success.
Athletically and physically this team is vastly inferior to many teams and that is what Dan Hurley has to change, it starts with getting a quality big but swings and misses at the elite isn't going to do it. He needs kids with size and an attitude that comes with an edge. He is not getting the 5*s and maybe not even an elite 4* on any consistent basis. He needs to build the team like JC and Geno did at the start - kids who can shoot, rebound, have a big motor and want to play hard. Once those kids start winning, the better players will follow. Kids the P5s have looked at but only consider them as last ditch plans
I believe Dan Hurley can coach these types of kids to be successful
You do realize Hurley has already gotten two 4 stars and another 4 star who is a borderline 5 star, right?

Reaction Score
Hurley said he thought we could surprise people if we got production from our big men. He said he was most concerned about the 4 spot. I imagine he is slightly disappointed with the production from the bigs but I'm sure he isn't shocked.

Reaction Score
Do I think the guy who coached URI into a Top 25 team and made Wagner good understood coming in that this is not a roster full of NBA players?

Nah, man, you can't expect him to have the same nuanced understanding of the game as you, someone who can successfully make a post on an Internet message board.

Peak Boneyard.

Reaction Score
I guess it's hard to have your expectations low enough on the boneyard. My point was that I think Hurley thought he had a team he could compete with this year when he took the job. NOT a final 4 team, but a team that with some coaching and an infusion of some energy could compete. He HAS to be disappointed in what has happened. As I said I still think he is the right man for the job. But go ahead and take your cheap shots......you didn't take time to actually read the post.

Reaction Score
Trust me, Hurley knew what he was walking into. So did the assistant coaches.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I guess it's hard to have your expectations low enough on the boneyard. My point was that I think Hurley thought he had a team he could compete with this year when he took the job. NOT a final 4 team, but a team that with some coaching and an infusion of some energy could compete. He HAS to be disappointed in what has happened. As I said I still think he is the right man for the job. But go ahead and take your cheap shots.you didn't take time to actually read the post.
I reread your post and don't think it says what you are claiming. Even dialing back the response of some people rubbed the wrong way doesn't put it in a great light. You labeled your question "serious" and got enough serious answers to wave off this second-bite-of-the-apple protest.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Not only did Hurley know what he was getting into, he publicly stated he loves the challenge of taking on a rebuilding project and turning things around. Facing facts, he was fully aware that there is a ceiling on what can be accomplished by an A-10 team, and he knew he was bumping up against it at URI. UCONN offered him a new challenge and opportunity to take things beyond that A-10 ceiling. We've done it before and he believes he can get us there again, despite the shortcomings of our current roster of players. He's looking at the long term future.

Reaction Score
The experts on the Boneyard as usual are spot on with their analysis. Tyler Polly clearly does not have the talent to compete in D1 basketball possibly not even D3 guys. It's too bad UConn doesn't offer scholarships to more capable real D1 caliber players like Tennessee. Maybe then we would finally be able to compete with uber talented power houses like USF.

Well done guys.

Reaction Score
hmmm....if all is good, we wouldn't be looking for him.
From a coach ego perspective, you would want to start from scratch, and build the beast.
KO had the complete opposite, following a HOF'er, which is a no win situation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom