Do you think Hurley knew? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Do you think Hurley knew?

Reaction Score
The over-the-top in game persona is because he has a roster of self-starters? Have we seen Hurley sit down during a game yet? Recall, it wasn't so far ago that our coach barely was up during a game...complete reversal. He knows that winning with this team will require him to extract effort and motivate 110% of the time to have a chance. Coaching generically is a load of work. Coaching kids of differing talent levels, needs, knowledge, etc. is extremely hard work. Unfortunately, it seems that this roster wasn't on a heavy learning and development curve since they got on campus. Hurley seems to be changing that as well. As was previously written, need to change the culture first and pivot from what got us into this mess.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Not only did Hurley know what he was getting into, he publicly stated he loves the challenge of taking on a rebuilding project and turning things around. Facing facts, he was fully aware that there is a ceiling on what can be accomplished by an A-10 team, and he knew he was bumping up against it at URI. UCONN offered him a new challenge and opportunity to take things beyond that A-10 ceiling. We've done it before and he believes he can get us there again, despite the shortcomings of our current roster of players. He's looking at the long term future.

This. In situations like the one Hurley took over, coaches are playing the long game. I'm not saying Hurley isn't trying to win; you can tell the way he reacts to every bad call by the refs that he wants to win now, but listen to his quotes in the postgame. He talks about building a culture, and that's not a short-term goal.

When Hurley said that guys like Sid and Carlton are part of the reason he took the job, do you think he meant because of their current level of play? Of course not, he sees them as juniors and seniors after he molds their game and knows that they will be quality contributors then. Remember the 06-07 season after half of our roster went to the NBA? It was the first season for Price, Thabeet, Sticks and Dyson, and Adrien's 2nd year after not playing a bunch his first year. That team went nowhere fast. Thabeet ended up on his ass every other play. We almost lost to Quinnipiac at home. Do you think Jim Calhoun had doubts about the talent of that core? No, because he's a great coach. He knew they had talent and just had to grow as a group, take their lumps, and get some experience. Two years later that same group went to a Final Four and was in the top 5 pretty much the entire season. Now, this group doesn't have the same level of talent as that group -- not even close, in fact. My point is, Hurley sees what this program can become again, and I guarantee you he's not sweating what he sees on the court this year.

Reaction Score
I’m betting that Hurley is surprised that his record is not better at this point. After all UCONN is not in the ACC or the B1G. After the Syracuse game most of us thought it was going to be better than it has turned out. Admit it.
But that only lasted until the next game. Then back to reality.

Reaction Score
Serious question. Do you think Hurley really know how talent-deficient this team was before he accepted the job? I understand he didn't come for a one-year tenure, but even he has to be disappointed in what this roster offers him. I think 21 games into their sophomore season it is fair to say that Josh and Polley do not deserve to be starting for this or any other major D-1 college program. There are basic fundamental things they just don't do well, and particularly in Polley's case, have minimal impact on most games. That's 40% of our starting lineup, and 100% of our frontcourt starting lineup. And that's the best we have. He's gotta be beating his head against the wall when he sees the disparity of our guys vs every non-cupcake team we've played this year. The physical difference is obvious to see, but coupled with the extremely low BBIQ we still seam to have, that's a deadly combo. I realize Rome wasn't built in a day, and I still have full confidence that Hurley is our guy, but he's gotta be extremely frustrated that he can't even get through to these guys to play hard for 40 minutes every game. When you are outmanned and outsmarted, that's your only chance at making up for the deficiencies. My guess is Danny is not getting a lot of sleep these days.
Your point on talent is somewhat accurate. I've said before, Olllie's biggest deficiency was putting together a balanced team. Once Calhoun's players were gone, Ollies team had huge holes. Throw in a couple injuries and the team was sunk.
I think you're also minimizing the loss of their 2nd best player in Gilbert.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Tyler Polly clearly does not have the talent to compete in D1 basketball possibly not even D3 guys.

Are you serious right now?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Ok Bobby Boucher.

I am nobody's water boy. I do not carry Kevin Ollie's water.

Every claim you make to the contrary makes you look even more unintelligent.

I hope you get your issues worked out - based on our interactions here, there seem to be a lot of them.

Reaction Score

I hope you get your issues worked out - based on our interactions here, there seem to be a lot of them.
I have the issues? You’re the one who feels the need to attack other posters and try to assert your superior intelligence at every turn. You have serious issues and I won’t waste another ounce of my energy arguing with you Waterboy.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Hurley knows something about us getting out of this awful conference.
It’s been the elephant in the room this entire time. St John’s is playing Duke on national tv and having a good season, Villanova has 2 titles in 3 years, etc.. We need to abandon the pipe dream of being relevant nationally in football and find a way to get back into the Big East where the rivalries and the geography will make sense.

Reaction Score
Are we going to have enough scoring next year? I think a lot of it depends on how good Bouknight is. I expect him to start.

Reaction Score

You told us UConn would never get a coach better than Kevin Ollie. You were flat out wrong and need to own that. You chastising ANYONE else is absurd.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
You told us UConn would never get a coach better than Kevin Ollie. You were flat out wrong and need to own that. You chastising ANYONE else is absurd.

I've admitted multiple times I am glad to have been wrong about UConn's ability to attract a decent coach this past offseason. I've already owned it. (Although, you conveniently ignore that all throughout the 2017-18 season, I adamantly maintained that UConn needed to make a coaching change regardless of how good the new coach ended up being.).

I will continue to chastise people who tell straight up lies about me (like you) and have nothing better to do than relive past KO arguments like overgrown manchildren (again, like you). This whole exchange started when your buddy made the ridiculous claim that wearing diamond earrings is an indicator of a bad work ethic. That claim is patently stupid on its face, and every poster with a pulse should be chastising him for making it. It says a lot about you that you are far more bothered by me criticizing a terrible argument than the terrible argument itself.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I have the issues? You’re the one who feels the need to attack other posters and try to assert your superior intelligence at every turn. You have serious issues and I won’t waste another ounce of my energy arguing with you Waterboy.

You think earrings tell you things about someone's work ethic. If your brain is telling you that, it does not work correctly.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Carlton is doing OK, improved over last season. We have no other front court players ready or able to contribute to an NCAA team. That includes Sid for the moment. Our star, disappears for key stretches and the entire team is subject to lapses at both ends far to frequently.

With essentially the same squad, we are visibly better and no longer losing by double digits to teams we shouldn't ever lose. We still don't understand it take 40 minutes of sustained play to win games. Matching teams score for score and turnover for turnover is not a winning pattern. You need to dictate play for a majority of the game. This team has no idea on how to do that.

Practice and personnel changes are the only way out. I would be concerned if this team isn't in the NCAA next season. An NIT berth should be the benchmark this year for disappointment.

Reaction Score
Not only did Hurley know what he was getting into, he publicly stated he loves the challenge of taking on a rebuilding project and turning things around. Facing facts, he was fully aware that there is a ceiling on what can be accomplished by an A-10 team, and he knew he was bumping up against it at URI. UCONN offered him a new challenge and opportunity to take things beyond that A-10 ceiling. We've done it before and he believes he can get us there again, despite the shortcomings of our current roster of players. He's looking at the long term future.

Yes, this. It drives him nuts during the process, but the ability to look back at how far they’ve come (and he will be successful at UConn) makes it worth it in the end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom