"Do The Math" Here Comes Notre Dame? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

"Do The Math" Here Comes Notre Dame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I honestly dont see whats so different in Tenn and Duke. Ton of talent but has coaches who can't utilize it consistently.

Except I think this year we saw improvement in Tennessee's coaching (or at least the player's response to the coaching), whereas in Dukieland, it was same old, same old.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
2 question marks for the LVs. One Russell must be healthy and effective and 2 DeShields must share the ball and be a team player. Either of these dont happen and Tenn will be in for a frustrating year. Next season it will be UConn and then ND and everybody else. If Russell is healthy and effective Tenn could make some noise, but next season no body beats UConn. Pencil it in number 11.

Right as usual, Tony, but ALSO Holly is going to have to install some sort of organized, disciplined offense. Otherwise DD may be forced to be the new Simmons.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
There was a pic of Russell. Touching the rim at practice. The tweet said it looks like Russell is getting her legs back.

Reaction Score
You nailed it, CocoHusky. Loyd and Turner better than Stewart and Jefferson. Not on this planet. Not in this universe.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't agree. I think this is the year we must win. Next year too many potentially terrific teams that are capable of playing out of their minds just once -- just one game at the wrong time -- to beat us. Like when Nova played and beat GTOWN. Or Duke beat UNLV.

The two top teams USC and ND - they require a lot out of their star freshmen. I saw Stewie do great as a frosh but Maya and DT in the NCAA's struggled in their final game. I don't believe their frosh can outplay our expereicned front line. And I don't think their perimeter game can overwhelm us either.

This year imo UCONN will win. Next year there will be a team or to that has the ability to play out of their minds and will have the necessary experience to challenge in that "one moment."
Yea, I know it's your opinion, but it's backwards. This year UCONN lost 2 AA's and it's heart. That's a lot to make up. Luckily they've done well and the competition is down a bit. Next year UCONN loses an AA and a B/U post. But it returns 4 starters, an even better (than this year) recruiting class (and Butler) and keeps it heart/engine. UCONN will be much better next year. Granted other teams will be too. (lot's of good teams next year) But I'd be extremely surprised if they don't go undefeated as Seniors. Moore and DT didn't have the kind of team Stewart will have around her as a Senior. I mean not even close. They won't be compared to Moore and DT's Senior year, but rather to Birds' and Charles' Senior years (those kind of teams).

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Every team has a number of definitive characteristics that in their aggregate set it apart from all the others, but for me the big overwhelming one with this year's team is the 3-pt shooting, which in the combination of shots taken and accuracy has never been approached at UConn. Having taken 680 3pt-FGAs at a 40.6% accuracy rate, the Huskies are on a pace to shoot 805 with a 39 games schedule. Four other UConn teams shot over 40% and some did a bit better, but they also took far fewer 3s, with only the 2002 team getting even up to 600, at a 40.5% rate. The 2013 team shot more of them, finishing the year at 859, but their rate was at 37.8%

Of course the 2013 and 2015 teams are marked with a season's healthy KML burying the shots from the arc, and that's a nice thought entering the Tourney this year. For both teams the option to give KML the chance to bomb a 3 at a 50% rate is comforting when the defense gets sticky inside. Three-point shooting can always go south in a vital Tourney game, but with KML in the lineup, that's just less of a possibility. We should not underestimate what a huge loss that missing security blanket will be when KML graduates in May. Hopefully the rest of the lineup can combine to fill the gap.

Reaction Score
A very intriguing discussion here as it appears that history is trying to repeat itself. While UConn is surely the prohibitive favorites to threepeat as national champions this year and will be as strong as ever next year, most of us can easily recall a similar scenario back in 2001 when UConn returned a very strong team after its second national championship only to have it thwarted by a very good Notre Dame squad. The only difference for me then and now is that prior to the 2000-2001 season, I never saw Notre Dame coming. Forewarned is forearmed.

Shea Ralph and Abrosimova were both out with injuries and did not play. Thwarted, I think not, lucky yes.

Reaction Score
Yea, I know it's your opinion, but it's backwards. This year UCONN lost 2 AA's and it's heart. That's a lot to make up. Luckily they've done well and the competition is down a bit. Next year UCONN loses an AA and a B/U post. But it returns 4 starters, an even better (than this year) recruiting class (and Butler) and keeps it heart/engine. UCONN will be much better next year. Granted other teams will be too. (lot's of good teams next year) But I'd be extremely surprised if they don't go undefeated as Seniors. Moore and DT didn't have the kind of team Stewart will have around her as a Senior. I mean not even close. They won't be compared to Moore and DT's Senior year, but rather to Birds' and Charles' Senior years (those kind of teams).

Nah - IMO your opinion is not giving other great basketball teams their due. You say "granted they will be good" but for one thing a team like ND will probably be outstanding not just "good." Same with USC. Thus imo you are marginalizing their ability to play way above their heads. A team like Villanova did that vs GTOWN. In that one game that one day -- our team is still "kids" or another word- "amateurs." Even the best of the best pros such as LeBron James feels pressure.

And I'm wondering why you mentioned to me Maya's and DT's teammates vs Stewie's. Did you think when I first mentioned them to you that I was comparing Stewie next year as a sr. vs DT and Maya as freshmen? I just don't understand why you are comparing sr Stewie vs freshmen Maya and DT. My point was freshman Wilson from USC and freshman Turner from ND - whichever meet UCONN in the finals is much more apt to be like freshman Maya and freshman DT than be like the freshman Stewart. IMO it's absolutely rare to count on a frosh to be so huge when you are facing an experienced juggernaut. USC and ND have to rely a ton on their frosh. That's too much weight on their shoulders in a game with so much pressure. This this year - it's a learning experience for them.

As Lobe said this year - USC has no shot to beat UCONN. They can't beat us because they can't score enough. One more year together -- there is absolutely no reason to completely disregard both kids as being potential big time impact weapons. Nova wasn't close to GTOWN but had experience. Nova wasn't that good of a team while GTOWN was awesome - like UCONN. IMO there is no reason to believe a potential awesome team in ND or USC can't play unreal like Nova did. History in sports teaches us that. Sure frosh could - like our amateurs did play way above their heads and defeated Russia in Hockey. But overall that extra year I think allows the two super frosh a better chance to play that one super super game - and as said throw in the lousy refs - next year they have a better chance.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nah - IMO your opinion is not giving other great basketball teams their due. You say "granted they will be good" but for one thing a team like ND will probably be outstanding not just "good."
I'm giving them their due. They will be very good. There will be lot's of really good teams next year, especially compared to this year. ND, TN, Baylor, Texas, Maryland, even Duke should all improve and be good to really good next year. However not really really good like UCONN. They'll still be a step above.

Same with USC.
Not so sure about them. Don't know if they will be any better than they are this year. They lose 2 starters including kind of their heart in Welch. And don't bring anything in. They'll be good, but I don't know if any better than they are this year. They will probably be below ND (again) and TN next year.

Thus imo you are marginalizing their ability to play way above their heads. A team like Villanova did that vs GTOWN. In that one game that one day -- our team is still "kids" or another word- "amateurs." Even the best of the best pros such as LeBron James feels pressure.
Well sure, anybody on any given day. But were talking about likelihood here. I think UCONN will be a better team and less likely to be beaten next year than this year, even with the improvements in other teams.

And I'm wondering why you mentioned to me Maya's and DT's teammates vs Stewie's. Did you think when I first mentioned them to you that I was comparing Stewie next year as a sr. vs DT and Maya as freshmen? I just don't understand why you are comparing sr Stewie vs freshmen Maya and DT.
I wasn't. I was comparing Stewarts teammates when she is a SR to DT and Moore's teammates, when they were seniors.

My point was freshman Wilson from USC and freshman Turner from ND - whichever meet UCONN in the finals is much more apt to be like freshman Maya and freshman DT than be like the freshman Stewart. IMO it's absolutely rare to count on a frosh to be so huge when you are facing an experienced juggernaut. USC and ND have to rely a ton on their frosh. That's too much weight on their shoulders in a game with so much pressure. This this year - it's a learning experience for them.
Ok, but that really doesn't have anything to do with next year? Yea, they'll be better next year, we've already established that. But they are still not going to close the gap on UCONN. IMO. And even if they do, I think next years team with Stewart and Jefferson as Sr's (better leadership than this year - nothing against KML and Stokes, they are just not great leaders) there will be less chance of a dip in UCONN that some team can take advantage of (i.e. Stanford game).

As Lobe said this year - USC has no shot to beat UCONN. They can't beat us because they can't score enough. One more year together -- there is absolutely no reason to completely disregard both kids as being potential big time impact weapons. Nova wasn't close to GTOWN but had experience. Nova wasn't that good of a team while GTOWN was awesome - like UCONN. IMO there is no reason to believe a potential awesome team in ND or USC can't play unreal like Nova did. History in sports teaches us that. Sure frosh could - like our amateurs did play way above their heads and defeated Russia in Hockey. But overall that extra year I think allows the two super frosh a better chance to play that one super super game - and as said throw in the lousy refs - next year they have a better chance.
Disagree. This year is their chance. It's not a good one, and I doubt they will be able to beat UCONN, but next year the chance goes down. For the reasons I have stated. While other teams will improve, their chance of beating UCONN goes down.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
meryers I gotta agree with you. Noody will beat UConn next season. Breanna is already at a phenomenal level. Next season she will be something that womens BB has never seem. I have been following Breanna since I heard about her in HS. Now add MoJeff who imo will be off the charts and UConn will be unbeatable. The laugher is you have Tuck Nurse and coming in Butler a big 6'5 presence and our terrific freshman class and no team will come close to UConn. Breanna Stewart is the a player that womens BB has never seen and during the NCAA UConn will be a highlight film. I will say again this is UConns greatest team of all time.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
meryers I gotta agree with you. Noody will beat UConn next season. Breanna is already at a phenomenal level. Next season she will be something that womens BB has never seem. I have been following Breanna since I heard about her in HS. Now add MoJeff who imo will be off the charts and UConn will be unbeatable. The laugher is you have Tuck Nurse and coming in Butler a big 6'5 presence and our terrific freshman class and no team will come close to UConn. Breanna Stewart is the a player that womens BB has never seen and during the NCAA UConn will be a highlight film. I will say again this is UConns greatest team of all time.
Still would feel a little more rosy about next season if there was assurance that UConn can shoot 750 3-pointers at 38-40% rate. Definitely possible, but not guaranteed.

Of the five top teams this year, UConn definitely loses the most with the departure of KML and Stokes, UTenn next with Harrison, Burdick, and Massengale going, then USCar with Welch, Ibiam and Gaines, and then finally ND's loss of Cable, Holloway, and Wright might be less than MD's loss of Mincey. How all the newcomers will gel with the established players and how each team's health will hold up is the great unknown.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Still would feel a little more rosy about next season if there was assurance that UConn can shoot 750 3-pointers at 38-40% rate. Definitely possible, but not guaranteed.

Of the five top teams this year, UConn definitely loses the most with the departure of KML and Stokes, UTenn next with Harrison, Burdick, and Massengale going, then USCar with Welch, Ibiam and Gaines, and then finally ND's loss of Cable, Holloway, and Wright might be less than MD's loss of Mincey. How all the newcomers will gel with the established players and how each team's health will hold up is the great unknown.
I believe it was stated that Madison Cable at Notre Dame has an additional year of eligibility because she was injured for one year. Is it known whether she will use that extra year?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I believe it was stated that Madison Cable at Notre Dame has an additional year of eligibility because she was injured for one year. Is it known whether she will use that extra year?

Not yet, though most suspect she'll return.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Why do we keep sleeping on Butler as a proven collegiate level performer?
Ivory Latta who is a assistant coach at UNC. Said this about DeShields "her abilites are totally amazing. She could play a year or two and play in the WNBA easily. You don't find many girls coming out of high school with that skill set." she Said this when Diamond was playing a UNC last year.

Reaction Score
I go along with the folks who take Nurse over Loyd for our team. I would hate to give up the great defensive strength of Nurse for the just above average defense of Loyd. Loyd doesn't add anything to our team that we don't already have. Nurse as a freshman showed great ability to drive hard to the hoop and score or draw fouls and her three point shooting is more than adequate, she should improve in both areas next year. ND can keep Loyd, I'll take Nurse.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I go along with the folks who take Nurse over Loyd for our team. I would hate to give up the great defensive strength of Nurse for the just above average defense of Loyd.

Loyd was on the (five player) ACC all defense team, as selected by the coaches.

Reaction Score
Shea Ralph and Abrosimova were both out with injuries and did not play. Thwarted, I think not, lucky yes.

A common refrain and acceptable given the quality of the injured players.
1. The injuries made it possible for Diana Taurasi to get more minutes and she excelled.
2. Shea Ralph, by everyone's admission, was not having anywhere close to an AA season. Missed? Absolutely. A huge loss? Not when one can insert Ms Taurasi into the lineup.
3. UConn was up 12 at halftime and by as many as 16 in the game. Injuries aside, that is a game you are supposed to win.
4. Luck may have played a part because it was not as if Notre Dame's defense was forcing a lot of turnovers and bad shots. The shots just were not falling; Not only were they not falling for Taurasi, but they were not falling for Bird or Johnson either.
5. When it comes to winning, sometimes one would rather be lucky than good.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Loyd was on the (five player) ACC all defense team, as selected by the coaches.

But.... but.... but..... they dont play defense in the ACC..... so thats not saying much :rolleyes:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Not yet, though most suspect she'll return.
Hasn't ND had its Senior Night yet? Was Ms. Cable among the "seniors"? I know at UConn, people in her position have had to make their decision before Senior Night (or risk not being honored on that night if they left), because the program was not about to honor them twice as seniors.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Hasn't ND had its Senior Night yet? Was Ms. Cable among the "seniors"? I know at UConn, people in her position have had to make their decision before Senior Night (or risk not being honored on that night if they left), because the program was not about to honor them twice as seniors.

Cable was included among the seniors...chatter on the ND board was that ND athletes in other sports have been honored twice before.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ivory Latta who is a assistant coach at UNC. Said this about DeShields "her abilites are totally amazing. She could play a year or two and play in the WNBA easily. You don't find many girls coming out of high school with that skill set." she Said this when Diamond was playing a UNC last year.
I agree with Ivory. I would even agree with you if you said that Diamond is the " Most proven" of the players we are talking about. I disagree that she is the only proven. Butler was among best rebounders in all NCAA as a Freshmen -5th I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom