"Do The Math" Here Comes Notre Dame? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"Do The Math" Here Comes Notre Dame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think Durr is less of a true PG, yes. I can see her playing more off the ball as a utility guard. As a pure PG, I think Cooper holds the advantage.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Always up for more education life long learner here. 1) So if Durr is ahead of Cooper on Naismith All-America doesn't that make Durr #1 PG? Or are you saying Durr is not a PG?
Umm Volfan is saying neither. Volfan is saying Cooper is, by virtue of being on the Naismith AA team, ranked ahead of all the other players listed. Except Durr, who is also on the Naismith AA team. i.e. they are both on the team. As to whether Durr is (or will be) a 1 or a 2, she is listed both ways by different services. I'd probably consider her a combo guard myself.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Umm Volfan is saying neither. Volfan is saying Cooper is, by virtue of being on the Naismith AA team, ranked ahead of all the other players listed. Except Durr, who is also on the Naismith AA team. i.e. they are both on the team. As to whether Durr is (or will be) a 1 or a 2, she is listed both ways by different services. I'd probably consider her a combo guard myself.
VolFan's answer is more direct & speaks volumes.
I think Durr is less of a true PG, yes. I can see her playing more off the ball as a utility guard. As a pure PG, I think Cooper holds the advantage.[/QUOTE]
Love your enthusiasn Volfan but I disagree. IMO Durr will be the better player regardless of the position or the label.

Reaction Score
VolFan's answer is more direct & speaks volumes.

Love your enthusiasn Volfan but I disagree. IMO Durr will be the better player regardless of the position or the label.
Fair enough, I think they'll play very different roles for their teams, but don't misconstrue what I'm saying as any disrespect to Durr. She has first-team AA potential for sure. (by the end of her career)

Reaction Score
Notre Dame will be tremendous as well. Turner and Loyd in their second year together may be the best duo in the country.
ND will have a powerfull team next year and Turner/Loyd is unquestionably an outstanding pair.

You take those 2 and I'll take Stewart/Jefferson.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In reality, Notre Dame is a team built for next year. The Irish, who have six McDonald’s All-Americans on the roster now, will have everyone back and will add three McDonald’s All-Americans next season.

Agree, ND will have a really good team next year. However, UCONN brings back 4 starters and not only adds in a better recruiting class (also 3 McD AAs) but also a big post presence in Butler. And beating Stewart and Jefferson as Seniors is gonna be really, really difficult. This is the year to get UCONN, think it will be harder next year.
Diana Taurasi said exactly the same thing. Per DT next year Stewart becomes an elite player and will be impossible to beat.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
2 question marks for the LVs. One Russell must be healthy and effective and 2 DeShields must share the ball and be a team player. Either of these dont happen and Tenn will be in for a frustrating year. Next season it will be UConn and then ND and everybody else. If Russell is healthy and effective Tenn could make some noise, but next season no body beats UConn. Pencil it in number 11.

Reaction Score
I honestly dont see whats so different in Tenn and Duke. Ton of talent but has coaches who can't utilize it consistently.

Reaction Score
Turner & Loyd IMO is not even better than Nurse and Tuck.

Maybe slight exaggeration with Loyd/Nurse :)..... but Tuck is going to be a monster next year. Cancels each other out so your not far off.

Reaction Score
Best duo for next year in order to begin the season...

Jefferson and Stewart
Loyd and Turner
Mitchell and Wilson

But as the season goes and the more and more they play together Russell and DeShields could become a powerful duo. They have familiarity from USA basketball. I am also hopeful for a smooth transition for Russell from recovery into full go basketball. She has had a lot of one on one time with Dean this year and considering what he did for Izzy, I think we see the 6'6 center we were hoping for.

Fun to speculate but I very excited for 2015 to play out. I want drama and shockers!

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Returning players usually get better, at least through their junior year, when they are well-coached and assuming no serious injuries.
Incoming freshmen are like a box of chocolates.... you're never sure what you're going to get. Especially posts and point guards who have the biggest transitions, especially if they're expected to contribute right away.
Several important "newcomers" next year, however, won't be newcomers at all. Butler, Russell and DeShields are proven performers. Edge to UConn and Tenn.
But based on returning players you also have to like SC and ND -- and by tourney time UConn, Tenn and ND could have their super-talented freshmen performing like sophomores. Louisville, Baylor and Texas might also be serious 2016 Tourney threats with the talent they will add, and all have good coaches. Duke? Yeah, talent-wise they should certainly be added to this list. But they have underachieved of late. Maybe the new coach will turn that around... LOL!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Diana Taurasi said exactly the same thing. Per DT next year Stewart becomes an elite player and will be impossible to beat.
I hate to quibble and disagree with the great DT but... Stewie is now and has been an "Elite" player since the BE tournament in her Freshmen year. How do I know this? Beacuse no NCAA team or individual player has been able to adequately defend her or even slow her down since she got out of her own way. Next year she might be "more elite" but right she is ELITE!

Reaction Score
I think next year is definitely all about UConn, Notre Dame, and Tennessee in that order.
UConn will be UConn, especially with Butler. That post presence should allow Stewart to face up and show off her versatility more.
Notre Dame will be tremendous as well. Turner and Loyd in their second year together may be the best duo in the country.
And then Tennessee, I think we'll be the deepest team in the country. Coming off of injury/unavailability will be Jasmine Jones, Diamond DeShields, Mercedes Russell, and Jannah Tucker. Add in the best incoming PG in the country in Te'a Cooper and we'll finally have the balanced team with a superstar that we've needed since '08. If we play D the way we have this year with a way improved roster, we have a shot at the Championship in my mind.

Reaction Score
Remember a few years ago when Massengale was the highest rated PG coming out of high school? Must be unstoppable now that she's a Senior, eh? How about Ann Struthers, the next Diane Taurasi? Both had solid careers but no one would say they had the superstar careers that was projected for them coming out of high school.Could go on and on but till recruits suit up and play in college you just don't know what the future holds.

Reaction Score
I think next year is definitely all about UConn, Notre Dame, and Tennessee in that order.
UConn will be UConn, especially with Butler. That post presence should allow Stewart to face up and show off her versatility more.
And then Tennessee, I think we'll be the deepest team in the country. Coming off of injury/unavailability will be Jasmine Jones, Diamond DeShields, Mercedes Russell, and Jannah Tucker. Add in the best incoming PG in the country in Te'a Cooper and we'll finally have the balanced team with a superstar that we've needed since '08. If we play D the way we have this year with a way improved roster, we have a shot at the Championship in my mind.
So you think Turner and Loyd will be better than Stewart and MoJett? WOW!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Fandom going slightly mad (IMHO) :)
Not really. Again my opinion. If we were going to have game and you spent you first two picks on Loyd and Turner and I spent mine on Tuck & Nurse I wouldn't be scared to play. Who wins will probably be determined by the rest of the team and who is doing the coaching. But talent wise I don't think I am that far behind.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
So you think Turner and Loyd will be better than Stewart and MoJett? WOW!

In fairness to Volfan, UConn plays on such a different plane/planet that it's easy to forget they are part of the country. This is the problem with a lot best/greatest discussion on general wbb forums. Almost all need a "besides UConn" disclaimer to be interesting.

Reaction Score
In reality, Notre Dame is a team built for next year. The Irish, who have six McDonald’s All-Americans on the roster now, will have everyone back and will add three McDonald’s All-Americans next season.

Agree, ND will have a really good team next year. However, UCONN brings back 4 starters and not only adds in a better recruiting class (also 3 McD AAs) but also a big post presence in Butler. And beating Stewart and Jefferson as Seniors is gonna be really, really difficult. This is the year to get UCONN, think it will be harder next year.

I don't agree. I think this is the year we must win. Next year too many potentially terrific teams that are capable of playing out of their minds just once -- just one game at the wrong time -- to beat us. Like when Nova played and beat GTOWN. Or Duke beat UNLV.

The two top teams USC and ND - they require a lot out of their star freshmen. I saw Stewie do great as a frosh but Maya and DT in the NCAA's struggled in their final game. I don't believe their frosh can outplay our expereicned front line. And I don't think their perimeter game can overwhelm us either.

This year imo UCONN will win. Next year there will be a team or to that has the ability to play out of their minds and will have the necessary experience to challenge in that "one moment."

Reaction Score
A very intriguing discussion here as it appears that history is trying to repeat itself. While UConn is surely the prohibitive favorites to threepeat as national champions this year and will be as strong as ever next year, most of us can easily recall a similar scenario back in 2001 when UConn returned a very strong team after its second national championship only to have it thwarted by a very good Notre Dame squad. The only difference for me then and now is that prior to the 2000-2001 season, I never saw Notre Dame coming. Forewarned is forearmed.

I never saw ND coming the 1st game when they wiped us out. But game 3 was understandable. We had 2 senior all-americans hurt/ couldn't play.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't know, Middleton, Carter, Reynolds, Cooper, Jackson, Tucker, DeShields, Dunbar, Jones, Graves, Nared, Moore, Russell is pretty deep.
That's 8 McDonald's AA's, not including Carter and Tucker who would have been if not for injury, and 6 Top 10 HS players.
DeShields has proven herself at the collegiate level. The others have not yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom