Distraction Thread: So what are your summer plans, make me envious! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Distraction Thread: So what are your summer plans, make me envious!

Reaction Score
As for myself, wife and I have no plans this year. I'm probably facing a knee replacement this fall and get pretty sore if I walk a lot, so not much point in travel.
Had total knee replacement 3 years ago- make sure your surgeon uses a custom knee replacement sized exactly for your knee structure. My doc used Conformis. It makes a difference since it will fit perfectly for your anatomy. My doc also used a CPM constant passive motion knee bending device which I used for 2 solid weeks that helped prevent scar tissue forming- some docs don't use it, mine did, I like my results. Was walking and playing 9 holes within 1 month, and no problems since.

Reaction Score
I leave for Scotland on Sunday for 10 days.
We just got back from a 10-day trip around Great Britian which included Scotland, Wales and England. Fantastic trip for sure, but pack accordingly as it was much cooler than anticipated.

Reaction Score
June, go to high-school hoop scrimmages...

Rest of the summer, go to trad-jazz festivals and events. The biggest are the Bix Festival in Bix's hometown, Davenport, IA and the Hot Jazz Jubilee in Sacramento... Might go to a couple others, and local shows also.

Reaction Score
Leaving Monday for Greece for 8 days.

Then 2 weeks away to Florida in July. Disney, then a cruise for 8 days to visit St. Croix, St. Thomas, and San Juan.

I love Greece. Island hopping was one of my favorite summers ever. Where are you headed?

Reaction Score
Headed to Athens for 3 days. Taking an island tour for a day. Going to Olympia, Delphi, and others. Going with a school group so going through EF Tours. I'm pretty excited.

Delphi was awesome. Gorgeous drive. Enjoy!

Reaction Score
Heading to Belize Saturday. Jungle first followed by Caye Caulker. Recommendations and advice are appreciated!

Reaction Score
Heading to Belize Saturday. Jungle first followed by Caye Caulker. Recommendations and advice are appreciated!
Let us know how it was. I've been looking to go there. Supposedly it's a good place to spend the winter in retirement.

Corozal, Belize

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
The absolute one must-do thing in NS is to find a restaurant in Digby where you can get scallops right off the boat.

The northernmost parts of the Cabot highway are beautiful. And oh so close to a 200 ft drop into the ocean.

Also, keep in mind that outside of Halifax, pretty much the whole province shuts down after 8pm.

There's a beautiful golf course next to the Fairmont. The day wife and I played, there was a bear walking across the green we were shooting at. We held up play for a bit.

Sounds corny, but if the Stampede is still going on when you're there, it's a goof and definitely worth going for a day. The chuckwagon races are the Canadian version of Ben-Hur.

As for myself, wife and I have no plans this year. I'm probably facing a knee replacement this fall and get pretty sore if I walk a lot, so not much point in travel.
Thanks for the suggestions. I think the Stampede isn't until Sept. and we'll be there in July. Planning on lots of e-bike riding and cruising along the shoreline to take in the sites. Hoping to scoff down a lot of PEI oysters as well! Good luck with the knee!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I leave for Scotland on Sunday for 10 days.
Great spot. Be prepared for midges. What parts are you visiting?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Great spot. Be prepared for midges. What parts are you visiting?
He left on or around June 20. I imagine he's back by now.

Which is too bad, because right now is the about the best time to visit Scotland, IMHO.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Had to do a work trip to SE Asia recently.

Fortunate enough to be able to bill the customer for first class seats.

Checked off a bucket list item by flying a 747 for first time and getting upper deck seats. It was a Korean Air plane.
Very nice. Food was great. Seats and overhead compartment were a bit tight.
That 14 hour flight got me to Incheon and then took a Korean Air 777 to final destination. That was about normal compared to other airline 777's I've flown.
On the way back it was a Singapore Air A350 up to Tokyo Haneda and then a Delta A350 back to the states.

Out of all them the Delta A350 was the best. Singapore Air has lay flat beds up front but they use the herring bone method which slants all the seats. Felt difficult trying to get body aligned between seat and area for feet. Delta A350 seats are straight line and have the door to close you off from the cabin.
Korean Air had great red wines from France and Australia. I stuck with German rieslings on way home.
Out of all the ultra long flight planes only one I haven't flown js the A380. Not sure if that's on my horizon.

Delta A350 is now the best flight experience I've had.
Previously a Korean Air 787 was #1. That now drops to number 2.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Since we revived this thread, I'm off to Cape Cod this weekend. Friday will be my first day off all Summer. I need it. Weather looks perfect. My wife's cousin is letting us use their new house, so an easy trip.

Not as exciting as those long flights @Chin Diesel but however comfortable 1st class was I still wouldn't look forward to a 14 hour trip. I had OK wine on Air France once, but mostly the wine sucks. I've been on a Delta A350 between Boston and Paris, it is a nice plane. All I had was "comfort +", which is still not bad. The Aer Lingus flight we took to Dublin last fall was torture. I think it's an A320 with horrible, tight Recaro seats and no legroom. Plus, on the aisle the heating is under the seat in front of you, so you can't extend your legs. About as comfortable as the right field grandstand at Fenway.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Since we revived this thread, I'm off to Cape Cod this weekend. Friday will be my first day off all Summer. I need it. Weather looks perfect. My wife's cousin is letting us use their new house, so an easy trip.

Not as exciting as those long flights @Chin Diesel but however comfortable 1st class was I still wouldn't look forward to a 14 hour trip. I had OK wine on Air France once, but mostly the wine sucks. I've been on a Delta A350 between Boston and Paris, it is a nice plane. All I had was "comfort +", which is still not bad. The Aer Lingus flight we took to Dublin last fall was torture. I think it's an A320 with horrible, tight Recaro seats and no legroom. Plus, on the aisle the heating is under the seat in front of you, so you can't extend your legs. About as comfortable as the right field grandstand at Fenway.

Yeah, 14 hour flights no matter how comfortable the accommodations, take a toll on the body. Throw in a 13 hour time shift going forward and then reversing a week later, and it's understandable why I'm writing this at 3am on a Wednesday.
You mention Comfort+ seats for a transatlantic which is plenty enough extra room for me for a 6-8 hour flight.

Flying Translantic on an A320 is inhumane.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yeah, 14 hour flights no matter how comfortable the accommodations, take a toll on the body. Throw in a 13 hour time shift going forward and then reversing a week later, and it's understandable why I'm writing this at 3am on a Wednesday.
You mention Comfort+ seats for a transatlantic which is plenty enough extra room for me for a 6-8 hour flight.

Flying Translantic on an A320 is inhumane.
Our friends asked us to go on another Aer Lingus package trip (they are super cheap) and we declined in part because I don't want to be on those planes. I also preferred having a car when I'm there.

In good travel news, Southwest is ending the cattle call. It's especially nice for me since I'll likely be making the Providence to Savannah run frequently.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom